IGNORED

'One of those days'

The Nest Egg

5 minutes ago, Griffin said:

Yes, but I've always openly been against LJ's appointment so that's unsurprising. I don't think he'd come here either, I'd just hope so.

So my point is that we wouldn't attract those kind of managers, right now we have to either have Johnson in charge or we go for another cheap option/an unproven coach at this level...

Its a vicious cycle that this club will never get out of if a manager isn't given time. If people can talk about relegation then maybe the next manager won't do any better right? Its just pure conjecture right now.

13 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

My main worry about that 2nd goal with magnusson was that it looked like he bottled a 50/50. Maybe im wrong but if he is one of these that doesn't like getting hurt, then it doesn't matter how much stronger he might become when he matures, he needs to be putting his body on the line in this league. I hope Ekstrand can get himself fit as we need him.

If Ekstrand gets match fit he starts every week.....such a pity that's a big if..

5 minutes ago, Dark Wood Covert said:

So my point is that we wouldn't attract those kind of managers, right now we have to either have Johnson in charge or we go for another cheap option/an unproven coach at this level...

Its a vicious cycle that this club will never get out of if a manager isn't given time. If people can talk about relegation then maybe the next manager won't do any better right? Its just pure conjecture right now.

Yeah you're right, I literally only said I hope O'Neil would come to us if possible & also said it'd be unrealistic.

22 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Squad full of bang average players. 

So is our squad worse than Preston's or Brentford's then? Personally I don't think it is. As time has gone on and LJ has had time to influence the shape and tactics we have gradually gone backwards. I am now seriously beginning to think that he is out of his depth in this league.

2 minutes ago, robin_unreliant said:

So is our squad worse than Preston's or Brentford's then? Personally I don't think it is. As time has gone on and LJ has had time to influence the shape and tactics we have gradually gone backwards. I am now seriously beginning to think that he is out of his depth in this league.

I don't think they have any better or worse squad than we do. I'd say they do better with their budgets though. 

37 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

Johnson will be a good coach one day

What makes you think this?

So called self proclaimed knowledgeable types on here suggest this. But there is nothing, nothing whatsoever to back it up. He has very little experience. Big on theory and a pleasant and eloquent speaker. But no track record to speak of.

Time to give more responsibility to John Pemberton I think.  Results have dived since Dean Holden came in.  It might just be a coincidence but it's certainly hasn't had a positive influence so far.

I really rate John Pemberton as a coach and man manager and perhaps his wings have been clipped.  I'd like LJ to be bold enough to take a step back and let JP have a major influence in tactics and team selection for the Christmas period.  I like LJ as a character and communicator and hope he will be a long-term success . Certainly Steve Lansdown will give him this season and the start of next season. He'll think he will also back Lee with an expensive proven striker signing and probably a keeper as well. I think things will improve but If it doesn't work out this season and we get into a relegation battle then JP should be given his chance as he was very impressive in many ways when he was temporarily in charge. 

Gary Johnson used to go on winning streaks and losing streaks and that's also happened for Lee both here and at Barnsley.

30 minutes ago, Dark Wood Covert said:

In regards to Johnson and his job, if he is to go (personally hope he doesn't) then who would be to replace him?

People mentioning the likes of Monk & Pearson (last season) etc are in cloud cuckoo land.We are not really even an established Championship club yet and after last seasons fiasco.

You know it would be an up and coming young coach or the dreaded cheap option

gary rowett

People who want rid of Johnson will be left disappointed I reckon. It's too simplistic to solely blame the manager. What happens when the next guy comes in? Starts well we all love him for 6 months then he goes on a poor run and is branded clueless and tactically inept. 

Fickle bunch we football supporters and the players out on the pitch usually get away scot free. 

3 minutes ago, Frenchay Red said:

So called self proclaimed knowledgeable types on here suggest this. But there is nothing, nothing whatsoever to back it up. He has very little experience. Big on theory and a pleasant and eloquent speaker. But no track record to speak of.

Did pretty well at Oldham and Barnsley and has done a fairly good job here, so yeah he has the makings of a good coach.

4 minutes ago, Frenchay Red said:

He's got the right mannerisms for me. He talks the right way I think he's got ideas but can't quite use them with the squad we have. I could be wrong but I think he'll do alright through this career. Just my opinion. 

3 minutes ago, Frenchay Red said:

Very true. I'd love be to know exactly what the LJ fans admire in him? The guy seems to speak well but have absolutely no substance. I'd rather Pembo was put back in charge and use LJ for public relations or something.

5 minutes ago, robin_unreliant said:

Brentford we were unlucky IMO, we dominated the game and earlier in the season that's the sort of game we'd have scored 2 or 3 in. They happen. 

Can't see that our squad is really that much better than Preston's. Take one or two out of our team and it's full of very average players I'm afraid. 

Full credit to PNE today, had we scored when on top it would have been a different outcome but after the goal we looked clueless. 

10 players in an instant go from Barca to Barnet as soon as we concede. Can only attribute that to the players IMO, need some damn character and to have conviction in the way they were playing, which finishing aside (of course) was very good until the goal. 

4 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

He's got the right mannerisms for me. He talks the right way I think he's got ideas but can't quite use them with the squad we have. I could be wrong but I think he'll do alright through this career. Just my opinion. 

In other words, he talks the talk but hasn't walked the walk.

ps: nothing personal, not a happy bunny today.

Same old City I have supported since 1950.  Out of their depth, with one glorious exception, in this division or higher.  Our natural habitat is top half division three.

I really thought LJ would make it after his initial success.  Now feel it's the same old.  Poor coaching of basics (corners, free kicks, finishing, to which we must now add defending).  Poor quality players not up to this level.  Why the hell are Reid, Pack, Freeman and Bryan still believed to be able to make it at this level? Plenty of promise and little delivery.  Get shot.

Poor management.  Who in their tiny right minds would have extended LJ's contract a week or so ago.  I believe on all the evidence SL is not up to the task, and is too arrogant to take advice.  No management worth its salt would have made such a crass decision.  This isn't about football management it's about straight forward management.

The good news is we have in our under 23s/ fringe/academy teams the makings of a good division three side in two or three years time.  But when they get promotion, for goodness sake invest in tried and trusted higher level players.  All in favour of youth policy, all in favour of new ground BUT not in favour of forgetting to strengthen the first XI.

My worries about Bristol Sport as a model resurfacing rapidly

What can be done to sort this current mess out?  Massive investment in January in new and more likely loan players.

Alternative strategy?  Ignore this season blood the youngsters and start all over again in division three or, if we have luck we don't deserve, in Championship still

Pessimistic or realistic?  I think we have a right to adopt the default position of every City supporter - realistic pessimism tempered with unrealistic optimism 

3 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

Think you've hit the nail on the head there. He warned when he came in that it would be two or three transfer windows before he had a squad he liked. 

He deserves more than one transfer window before the knives come out IMO, given the state of the club when he came in....you don't go from relegation fodder to playoff contenders in one summer. 

3 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

Same old City I have supported since 1950.  Out of their depth, with one glorious exception, in this division or higher.  Our natural habitat is top half division three.

I really thought LJ would make it after his initial success.  Now feel it's the same old.  Poor coaching of basics (corners, free kicks, finishing, to which we must now add defending).  Poor quality players not up to this level.  Why the hell are Reid, Pack, Freeman and Bryan still believed to be able to make it at this level? Plenty of promise and little delivery.  Get shot.

Poor management.  Who in their tiny right minds would have extended LJ's contract a week or so ago.  I believe on all the evidence SL is not up to the task, and is too arrogant to take advice.  No management worth its salt would have made such a crass decision.  This isn't about football management it's about straight forward management.

The good news is we have in our under 23s/ fringe/academy teams the makings of a good division three side in two or three years time.  But when they get promotion, for goodness sake invest in tried and trusted higher level players.  All in favour of youth policy, all in favour of new ground BUT not in favour of forgetting to strengthen the first XI.

My worries about Bristol Sport as a model resurfacing rapidly

What can be done to sort this current mess out?  Massive investment in January in new and more likely loan players.

Alternative strategy?  Ignore this season blood the youngsters and start all over again in division three or, if we have luck we don't deserve, in Championship still

Pessimistic or realistic?  I think we have a right to adopt the default position of every City supporter - realistic pessimism tempered with unrealistic optimism 

I unfortunately completely agree

7 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Think you've hit the nail on the head there. He warned when he came in that it would be two or three transfer windows before he had a squad he liked. 

He deserves more than one transfer window before the knives come out IMO, given the state of the club when he came in....you don't go from relegation fodder to playoff contenders in one summer. 

I think some of that has to fall above Johnson, they talk up Citys chances of making the playoffs in the summer... I get it! Its a way boosting ST's but its detrimental as fans become to expectant too quick and when the club has the inevitable bad run it makes it 100x worse than it should be.

At one point in the second half today we must have had the ball 80%+ in one ten min spell without managing one shot. Preston broke out twice and got in two shots. They didn't score but were very effective with the ball.

For me that is down to tactics and coaching. Grayson sets up his team to be effective rather than showy. LJ for me is setting us up to get lots of possession and nice looking football. But there is too little end product.

4 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

It's nowhere near the squad he wants yet. He's still working with plenty of inherited crap. 

So why did we buy a raft of firstnteam squad players we don't play?  No evidence ten windows would lead to better performances, after all we are told how outstanding Bryan and Reid are, really?

Archived