IGNORED

Okay. I'll say the "unsayable"

southvillekiddy

Flint isn't good enough, too slow and unathletic for this league - we've conceded too many from soft crosses like the first today and he has lost the knack of scoring for us from set-pieces. Moore should be given his chance.

O'Neil must have been class once but similiarly showed his lack of pace for the second.

For all the Ashton hype we've made only one good signing this summer - Magnusson. Tomlin and him will soon get fed-up playing alongside mediocrity and want away.

We'll never know how good Engvall is unless he's given a start. Simiiarly the team will never know how good they are unless the manager stops chopping and changing and sticks by what he thinks are his best players and formation and plays them and that for an extended run. Someone said we are into McInness territory with the team changing every game. The players must be dizzy.

We relied on Tammy's freshness at the start of the season. Where's the coaching that can now turn 25 chances into goals again?

Dear oh dear, same old, same old again. The curse.

Hordur for me has been a revelation. For the money we've paid; for a lad coming to a foreign country; for a lad coming to a new league; for a lad having no dressing room connection at all; absolutely untouchable. Lest we forget it took Flint 12m to even threaten to be a good centre back!

Whilst the summer's signings could have kicked on more I'd say we look closer to home. Reid, Bryan for instance. Are these two too much in their comfort zone? They're better than that. Korey in the games he's played too. 

If either centre half were to be dropped, for me it would be Magners who has been poor for a few weeks now. Flint and Moore were good against Hull together. 

That said there is so much space both in front of our centre halves and down the flanks (which begs the question as to where are all our players) that I'm not sure centre half is the main issue defensively, but in fact our non-existent midfield.

1 hour ago, 29AR said:

Hordur for me has been a revelation. For the money we've paid; for a lad coming to a foreign country; for a lad coming to a new league; for a lad having no dressing room connection at all; absolutely untouchable. Lest we forget it took Flint 12m to even threaten to be a good centre back!

Whilst the summer's signings could have kicked on more I'd say we look closer to home. Reid, Bryan for instance. Are these two too much in their comfort zone? They're better than that. Korey in the games he's played too. 

Considering they get a contract extension every season it seems that's the case. 

I think a lot of our problems come down to a lack of pace in general. Centre halves aren't blessed with pace nor our central midfielders nor our wingers. Bobby, Tammy and the full backs were our only source of pace today and it seems Matthews was told to stay back today I'm assuming because we couldn't have him and Joe both bombing forward. 

Think Flint is fine. Magnusson has had a few poor games. I don't know why Moore, COD, Brownhill and Engvall don't get more minutes. It's not like those in front of them have been prolific. I've been saying it awhile now, if we are going to struggle, let's struggle with some of these expensive youths. They'll have the hunger to take and keep a spot. Complacency seems to have set a bit. 

Is it Mags and Flint our the system ? We obviously play zonal defence and that can be abused by players who can then avoid being picked up by either defender. It relies on the midfield not letting players through onto / beyond our CB's but pack / O'Neil have been a little lax at picking these players up. Pack I thought was meant to cover the LB / RB positions if they pushed beyond the midfield, but that does not seem to happen often... I don't know, not that great at how this system is supposed to work, but there just seems to be glaring problems that overload our CBs, they can;t pick up 3 or 4 players between them, and it's unfair to blame them for not doing so.

12 hours ago, southvillekiddy said:

Flint isn't good enough, too slow and unathletic for this league - we've conceded too many from soft crosses like the first today and he has lost the knack of scoring for us from set-pieces. Moore should be given his chance.

O'Neil must have been class once but similiarly showed his lack of pace for the second.

For all the Ashton hype we've made only one good signing this summer - Magnusson. Tomlin and him will soon get fed-up playing alongside mediocrity and want away.

We'll never know how good Engvall is unless he's given a start. Simiiarly the team will never know how good they are unless the manager stops chopping and changing and sticks by what he thinks are his best players and formation and plays them and that for an extended run. Someone said we are into McInness territory with the team changing every game. The players must be dizzy.

We relied on Tammy's freshness at the start of the season. Where's the coaching that can now turn 25 chances into goals again?

Dear oh dear, same old, same old again. The curse.

You said we made only one good signing in Magnusson but then immediately talked about Tomlin in positive terms. So surely that's two...

6 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Ah yes, the hindsight expert. Literally no one was saying we'd had a poor summer at the end of August.

I think a few people did, but as always, any legitimate observations are quickly dismissed and the posters knocked.

I understand that.

I haven't been convinced by city since our promotions season I'm afraid. 

I appreciate what Steve has done chairman or whatever as we shouldn't hopefully end up 170m in debt like Sunderland. But we have to temper expectations. There is no manager or signing we've made since our return to the Championship that I've honestly thought will kick us on. Tomlin is curates egg ( the likes of which city seem drawn too) and whilst the stadium puts us back in the race (but not out in front) Lee isn't the manager to take us forward. 

Again, it's about expectation. We will be a steady division 2/3 club in our current state with the transfers we make. There's no shame in that.

15 minutes ago, Nube Rojo said:

Anyone else think Magnusson's distribution is appalling?

No but there aren't midfielders in good positions queueing up to receive passes so he and Flint are often left with a long ball forward as the only option.

I'll repeat what I said on another thread. Too much tinkering with formations, not enough pace in the side and relying on Tammy for goals. 

I would give a huge sigh of relief if LJ left us because I cannot see him turning this one around. At this stage of season, we're not doomed but if nothing changes, we are well on the way to the bottom of the heap.

Flint isn't quick, if he was he'd in the Prem now. He made 2 brilliant blocks early yesterday, still an important member and the nearest thing to a leader in the defence. Mags is mere month's into an English career, look at ManYoo as to how long it takes top,top players to acclimatise, good player with masses of potential. What seems to happen, whether it is flaws with the players or the coaching, we switch off too often.  

The defence need help, as said above, they have to show for a pass and help screen the back 4. They haven't always done this, Tomlin is (most of the time) the only player who wants the ball wherever he is, the movement in the final third is poor at best. One thing that yesterday showed is how much confidence counts. if we would have scored in the first 20 I think we would have won at a canter. No goals and when they scored you could see the change as nerves set in. 

I don't know the answer but imho Tammy needs a rest, whoever comes in can't really do any worse. Engvall's enthusiasm or Wilbs experience , either one could make a difference. TA will start scoring again but it's getting increasingly about the now for us, I saw something about being linked with players with potential in Jan , that's not going to keep us clear of a relegation fight.

For me , Flint and Magners are not the issue , the full backs are . We just don't have a championship full back in the squad . For their first , Joe was so far out of position he could have been sat in the stand! Without capable FB's we'll never get a settled side . All of LJ's tinkering is down to having full backs who are either too slow in thought or two slow full stop and the midfield "tombola" that we have is caused by trying to compensate for our lack of a decent FB ! No.1 priority for me ! 

19 minutes ago, Baldyman said:

For me , Flint and Magners are not the issue , the full backs are . We just don't have a championship full back in the squad . For their first , Joe was so far out of position he could have been sat in the stand! Without capable FB's we'll never get a settled side . All of LJ's tinkering is down to having full backs who are either too slow in thought or two slow full stop and the midfield "tombola" that we have is caused by trying to compensate for our lack of a decent FB ! No.1 priority for me ! 

I agree with some of this, but feel we have one good defensive full back - Scott Golbourne. The problem is LJ prefers playing Joe Bryan, presumably because he feels he provides more attacking options. LJ should realise that the primary role of a defender is to defend. 

The other problem we have is there are too many midfield players who are happy to play some nice football, but don't want to track back when City lose possession. It always seems to be Flint that does the last ditch tackles to save the day. It's far too easy for opposing players to run at the defence without challenge. 

3 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

I agree with some of this, but feel we have one good defensive full back - Scott Golbourne. The problem is LJ prefers playing Joe Bryan, presumably because he feels he provides more attacking options. LJ should realise that the primary role of a defender is to defend. 

The other problem we have is there are too many midfield players who are happy to play some nice football, but don't want to track back when City lose possession. It always seems to be Flint that does the last ditch tackles to save the day. It's far too easy for opposing players to run at the defence without challenge. 

This is a key issue. It's amazing how many fans don't want to see this but want to blame the central defenders for our defensive problems. Flint and Magnusson are not the problem.

41 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

This has been a problem for years - not just during LJ's time as manager. 

When we are attacking and the move breaks down ho often does the opposition break through and be on the edge of our area quickly and easily?  We seem to struggle to do the same to opposition teams.

Is there something i the club's DNA that means we always have a midfield lacking in bite?

1 hour ago, Benni said:

This is a key issue. It's amazing how many fans don't want to see this but want to blame the central defenders for our defensive problems. Flint and Magnusson are not the problem.

absolutely this and pongos post.. i think we need a flat back four that STAY as a four. in league one,the likes of joe b and scott wagstaff could skip past one or two,create space and even be on target at the other end.its not going to happen in this league,the opposition are too switched on. i feel a bit for Joe b,cant be easy trying to attack yet be relied on to defend aswell. if  we are going down that road,might aswell try 352 again so there is at least a third man back when attacks break down.for me the only consistant midfielder constantly doing his job is pack. you dont hear much of anyone else breaking up attacks from the opposition.

edit,downend summed it up better than me.

1 hour ago, pongo88 said:

The primary role of a full back has ceased to be just defending.The way City attempt to play through the thirds demands players split and provide width. Scott Goldbourne has admirable qualities but he simply is nowhere near as accomplished on the ball as Bryan can be, note can be. Heading, kicking it, clearing it is no longer enough. Full backs as Little also finds to his cost have to be able to play and also switch into alternative formations.

Archived