IGNORED

I am not Captain Knee-Jerk but that was pathetic

Olé

On 18/12/2016 at 20:58, Irish_Red said:

I went to my first match yesterday as I no longer live in the U.K. I tweeted this at full time...

@bcfctweets possibly one the most abject and passionless performances I've seen. I've been a fan for over 35 years and I've seen a few.

for the first 20 mins we had possession and a few chances... then PNE realised that they could play against us and it went downhill from there.

Both goals came down the left hand side... the defense was offered very little protection from the midfield. I think as a back line our defense isn't bad but with nothing in front of them they are very exposed. Thought Matthews was quite good and looked fairly solid. Bryan didn't do enough, didn't drive on and was caught in no mans land too many times.

Gary O'Neill spent a lot of time berating people but not a lot else and Pack didn't have anything to aim at as he had Tammy ahead of him and another 4 players out of position. Tomlin got deeper and deeper but again had nothing to aim at.

Lucic was the most worrying. Young guy and learning his trade but his distribution (or lack of kicking) put us under pressure way to much and was the result of their second goal.

Tammy needs support up front and we need a guy in midfield to win the ball. I think the most pressing issue is we don't have a shape, a style of play, no pressing. I remember games gone by where the last 5 minutes of game would be a grandstand finish... nothing yesterday...

I'm not doom and gloom but it's worrying...

No way did you get all that into one tweet

10 hours ago, bcfcfinker said:

Ok, to comment on redfans comments.

Clearly a Barnsley fan.

Joined otib January 7th (the day after LJ came our way) and appears to have 6 posts.

But why oh why did he wait till September to make his first post - has his chain has been pulled because Barnsley have been tainted?

Did he congratulate LJ (or our club) on getting us off to a great start?

No, the next commentary is for this thread, that some might say, was what he's been waiting for. To view his points, it reads like a 'You were warned', 'I told you so' etc. It's the sort of comment thread that reeks of someone with a big chip on their shoulder.

Our form at the beginning of the season was great. Our form at the moment, let's face it, it's shit. What I can say is that we aren't getting caned and this gives me some optimism that we don't have much to worry about. When we start getting beat by 2-3 on a regular basis, then I'll start to worry. In the meantime, I'm not going to be a flapper.

Of course he's a Barnsley fan, hence I was interested in your comments on the input of someone from a different, but still knowlegeable, perspective when you accused City fans on this thread of 'flapping'.

I don't see redfans' posts as evidence of someone with an axe to grind over LJ, or someone saying ,'I told you so.' They seem fairly measured and without any agenda to me. 

In his first post (12) he quotes Ole's OP and says he feels a sense of deja vu because the post could have been written on a Barnsley forum a year ago. Does Ole have an axe to grind? I think not.

2nd post (33) is an explanation of how he viewed LJ's time at Barnsley, and it didn't read well or offer much encouragement. 

We've heard similar from other Barnsley fans, both at time of LJ's appointment and since and I've always found the comments very concerning, especially as our young manager seems to be making the same mistakes, remains stubborn, and doesn't appear to be learning from experience.

Several Barnsley fans stated on here they liked LJ as a character, but were left bemused and frustrated by his tactics, formations and his complete unwillingness to deviate from his ingrained ideas whatever the results. Sound familiar?

All of very relevant interest surely, and I see no reason to write his views off as from someone with a chip on his shoulder, especially when we're seeing similar evidence with our own eyes.

If you're dismissing his posts as no more than an irritating 'I told you so', fair enough, but I don't see them that way at all and they may be worth reading again without assuming that prejudice.

7 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Of course he's a Barnsley fan, hence I was interested in your comments on the input of someone from a different, but still knowlegeable, perspective when you accused City fans on this thread of 'flapping'.

I don't see redfans' posts as evidence of someone with an axe to grind over LJ, or someone saying ,'I told you so.' They seem fairly measured and without any agenda to me. 

In his first post (12) he quotes Ole's OP and says he feels a sense of deja vu because the post could have been written on a Barnsley forum a year ago. Does Ole have an axe to grind? I think not.

2nd post (33) is an explanation of how he viewed LJ's time at Barnsley, and it didn't read well or offer much encouragement. 

We've heard similar from other Barnsley fans, both at time of LJ's appointment and since and I've always found the comments very concerning, especially as our young manager seems to be making the same mistakes, remains stubborn, and doesn't appear to be learning from experience.

Several Barnsley fans stated on here they liked LJ as a character, but were left bemused and frustrated by his tactics, formations and his complete unwillingness to deviate from his ingrained ideas whatever the results. Sound familiar?

All of very relevant interest surely, and I see no reason to write his views off as from someone with a chip on his shoulder, especially when we're seeing similar evidence with our own eyes.

If you're dismissing his posts as no more than an irritating 'I told you so', fair enough, but I don't see them that way at all and they may be worth reading again without assuming that prejudice.

I certainly do. He should speak about his beloved Barnsley on Barnsley fans' forums and stop this pathetic Lee-agenda on here. 

1 hour ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

We have different views about the true intention of the post by redfans and I see no value of dissecting it till we find the 'The young woman' or the 'Old woman' (you'll either be familiar with the pic or you wont).

Our form is poor at the moment (in the same way that it was good previously), I've said this (in previous posts). I however don't try to divine past events for some negative traits in LJ - I just accept that shit happens (and for some reason, it seems to happen to BCFC a lot) and hope that the form changes to good again.

With a bit of luck, we'll be looking back at this moment in a couple of months time and wondering what all the fuss was about. If we aren't, then we sack another manager and start again (in the hope we'll get it right next time round and we have lots of evidence that that works haven't we).

BTW, to flap is to be agitated or get panicky. Looking at some of the comments recently, there tends to be evidence of this among some of our compatriots (and you have to wonder why chip comes here to emphasise some perceived negative traits in LJ).

Here's to a good Christmas, a good New Year and some cracking transfers.

20 hours ago, Portland Bill said:

O Dowda ( possibly Joe Brian ) is the only actual winger I can think of, but he's left footed and likes to play on the right! Hence why he comes back on himself. 

Freeman and possibly Brownhill have also proved they can operate out there, which begs the question, how many wingers do we need?

Nonetheless, I think you have a point about that position, as the Brentford game showed we were much more aggressive with width and just one advanced midfielder than we were with loads of bodies cluttering the central midfield like we normally have.

1 hour ago, bcfcfinker said:

We have different views about the true intention of the post by redfans and I see no value of dissecting it till we find the 'The young woman' or the 'Old woman' (you'll either be familiar with the pic or you wont).

Our form is poor at the moment (in the same way that it was good previously), I've said this (in previous posts). I however don't try to divine past events for some negative traits in LJ - I just accept that shit happens (and for some reason, it seems to happen to BCFC a lot) and hope that the form changes to good again.

With a bit of luck, we'll be looking back at this moment in a couple of months time and wondering what all the fuss was about. If we aren't, then we sack another manager and start again (in the hope we'll get it right next time round and we have lots of evidence that that works haven't we).

BTW, to flap is to be agitated or get panicky. Looking at some of the comments recently, there tends to be evidence of this among some of our compatriots (and you have to wonder why chip comes here to emphasise some perceived negative traits in LJ).

Here's to a good Christmas, a good New Year and some cracking transfers.

I accept we can view redfans posts defensively and cynically if we wish, but from the words actually written I just don't see any reason to.

It seems to me that rather than having any chip on his shoulder - presumably you're intimating at some grievance that LJ deserted them - he views LJ's departure from Barnsley with similar relief and disbelief to our reaction when Pulis departed AG. Not to the same extent by any means, but I detect an element of that, in fact he said as much.

You say he emphasises LJ's perceived negative traits, but if those traits exist - and I think we can recognise many of them - then I would indeed see them as negatives. More so now, if anything, because he doesn't seem to have learnt from making the same mistakes earlier in his managerial career.

I don't want to see City having to sack LJ either, that would mean we have to endure a further period of failure for the club before it happened, and more disruption to the club and squad, things we should look to avoid if at all possible.

Having said that I'm not convinced by LJ by any means, and haven't seen any reasons to suggest everything will suddenly fall magically in to place, leading to more positive results. When he came in the onus was firmly on LJ to show exactly why SL believed in him so strongly, and for me he's nowhere near doing that.

You say with a bit of luck our form will change again. I don't think we can rely on luck, what we should be able to rely on is the coach starting to prove why he was apparently so highly rated that he landed the job in the first place.

Let's hope, for everyone's sake, he can do just that, and quickly.

24 minutes ago, Dark Wood Covert said:

We have enough actual City fans here to do that...

Some here want LJ to fail which means more importantly the club fails... what kind of fan is that ffs

I've only seen a couple (at most) of posters that want him to fail.  Most just seem to want the club, which seems to be in the best shape for a generation or two, to make good on the investment made by SL.

3 minutes ago, RumRed said:

I've only seen a couple (at most) of posters that want him to fail.  Most just seem to want the club, which seems to be in the best shape for a generation or two, to make good on the investment made by SL.

Clearly more... If you think its just a couple then fair enough but in my view that's a couple too many. As a fan, why would they want the club to ultimately fail just because they have irrational dislike of a manager?

2 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

The 'tells' are written all over redsfan's post:
A check list with a throw in item  ("The only one you didn't mention is the playing players hopeless out of position")
The majority (a cliche used regularly on football forums) of Barnsley fans don't credit him with the turnaround
'Talk about a lucky break'
'With a fraction of your resources,...'
'When he manages to wangle the top job at Manchester City as Pep's replacement,'
Etc.

If there wasn't any reference to Barnsley, this really could have been written by a gashead.

On 19/12/2016 at 11:06, Sixtyseconds said:

Sky Sports ... Playing well.

Yeah but when a lynch mob is being formed that playing well become a pathetically well.

Admitting that Joe Bryan might have been half handy at the start would require backing up v the Otib tide.

Easier to just go along with the flock.

People want some meat.

And there are presents to wrap.

We were sh1t3. Simple. 

2 hours ago, bcfcfinker said:

The 'tells' are written all over redsfan's post:
A check list with a throw in item  ("The only one you didn't mention is the playing players hopeless out of position")
The majority (a cliche used regularly on football forums) of Barnsley fans don't credit him with the turnaround
'Talk about a lucky break'
'With a fraction of your resources,...'
'When he manages to wangle the top job at Manchester City as Pep's replacement,'
Etc.

If there wasn't any reference to Barnsley, this really could have been written by a gashead.

You clearly think I posted on your board for the wrong reasons, as if I was gloating at your current misfortunes or grinding an axe - I genuinely didn't and apologise if it comes across that way.  I always try not to come across as too much of an arse when I post on other club's forums otherwise it is only going to lead to abusive replies coming the other way and I have better things to do with my life than indulge in childish banter with people who think I am taking the P!ss.

I am not a regular on here, obviously, but posted a couple of times when LJ joined you and also posted around the time that our assistant manager was caught red handed with a wad of readies in a paper bag.  But there was a link to your board from ours for some reason on Saturday, which I followed, and spent an interesting 40 minutes or so catching up with your thoughts on LJ.  I hadn't actually realised that things had gone a bit Pete Tong recently until I started reading the board on Saturday - I don't follow your every result with glee waiting for LJ to fail.

I can assure you that I definitely do not have an axe to grind as a result of LJ leaving us when I wished he was still with us - as I mentioned in my first post in this thread above, I was one of the vocal majority on our board who wanted him gone, and was flabbergasted that he wasn't sacked after Altrincham. I can only assume we couldn't afford to get rid of him.  It really was, in my eyes, a rare lucky break to get paid compo to release a manager we all wanted rid of.  (well a sizeable majority).  But whilst a few results in either direction can change the picture for either of us and you could well be past us and out of sight by February, right now, I  am more than happy with the way things are at Barnsley and the job that Hecky is doing. It isn't just he results, it is the playing style that is so pleasing.  I still see 50 points as our target and have no real ambition this season other than consolidating our first season back in this league.  So, no, keep LJ, and we'll stick with Hecky.

I don't have any reason for you or LJ to fail - I have been to Ashton Gate a few times (My office, until moving jobs a couple of years ago, was in Easton in Gordano so I was often in the area), and have always enjoyed the visit - I see you as a "proper" club, like us.  I posted my views because recent bad results mean you are currently having a debate about LJs abilities and I thought I could add to the debate with an independent viewpoint of past performance - that's all.

So, believe me or not, up to you.  It won't hurt me either way.  I'll pop back on from time to time, as apart from anything else, I like this forum - it is busy and in my experience is one of the few, along with ours, that is actually useable, in that you aren't trying to keep up with threads whilst wading through advert treacle. We have a small number of regular users of our BBS who support other clubs but who come on and debate properly, not just post shit wind ups.  I think it adds to the board.  I hope you agree.

Anyway, hand on heart, I hope LJ turns things around - he is a decent enough bloke, I just don't rate him as a manager.  But if he gets you promoted, I promise I'll come on  here with congrats and admit I was wrong :)

Archived