IGNORED

can lee turn it around.

boss hogg

12 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

But why? What's he done to you personally?

21 hours ago, NickJ said:

Thought bad appointment from day one and said as much from day one.

Nothing against LJ as a manager but having done nothing as a manager in division 3 how was it ever going to be any different here in division 2.

The next Eddie Howe? I don't think so.

Who was your "good" appointment? Just curious

I don't have to personally like the Club's Head Coach. It's a results led occupation and with two wins, one draw and eight defeats in the last eleven games, apart from Wenger and possibly one or two others, there isn't a manager/Head Coach who can feel secure with that record.

LJ is very fortunate that the City's owner, SL, is not a hire and fire boss because if he was, LJ would already be on his Christmas holidays in Dubai.

12 minutes ago, tinman85 said:

LJ has managed two mid table league 1 sides. Hardly set the world on fire. He was the wrong appointment for this football club in my opinion.  Lacks the presence and experience at this level and like his father is tactically found wanting. 

How could anyone get the promotions GJ has and get us to Championship PO Final whilst being tactically found wanting ????

Luck ??

What LJ has now said about transfer policy - buying abroad and not at home, and buying for under 23s - makes his task far more difficult.  Of course, there is the loan market - but with that out goes the promise of three windows to transform the team.

Seems we as a club are destined to go on making the same old mistakes at this level

I don't blame Lee and wish him all the luck in the world - think he'll need it though

7 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

I don't have to personally like the Club's Head Coach. It's a results led occupation and with two wins, one draw and eight defeats in the last eleven games, apart from Wenger and possibly one or two others, there isn't a manager/Head Coach who can feel secure with that record.

LJ is very fortunate that the City's owner, SL, is not a hire and fire boss because if he was, LJ would already be on his Christmas holidays in Dubai.

No, you don't have to 'like' him. I just find it strange that we've got fans who readily admit they 'dislike' him.

I doubt they've ever met him, there's a difference between thinking someone's not a good manager (fine) and baselessly disliking someone (not fine).

Still waiting for @Strawberry2157. and @boss hogg to give me their reasoning for 'disliking' someone they've never met.

On 18/12/2016 at 19:06, grifty said:

Well;

1. He is a football manager. Thats a good reason to appoint him surely?

2. He played for us for over 200 games so will no the club. Surely you know he did this?

3. He took Barnsley to the LDV (of whatever it is called now) trophy final.

4. He is highly respected as a football coach within football.

5. I don't know if he was given the job because of this, but I'm impressed with his willingness to learn and improve himself.

I think everyone has seen your sheer hatred for Johnson. I think Robbored liked GJ more than you like his son!

I beg to differ with point four...........if point three is the backbone of point four then × 2......

9 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

Not quite yet-would be mid January....

5 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

No, you don't have to 'like' him. I just find it strange that we've got fans who readily admit they 'dislike' him.

I doubt they've ever met him, there's a difference between thinking someone's not a good manager (fine) and baselessly disliking someone (not fine).

Still waiting for @Strawberry2157. and @boss hogg to give me their reasoning for 'disliking' someone they've never met.

Who says I've never met him!?

I've spent a bit of time watching the "highlights" or our recent games.

With the exception of the Brentford game there are some really concerning signs.....

No leadership - players are at sixes and sevens when not in possession of the ball and there are clearly no leaders on the pitch. Wilbraham seems to galvanise the players when he is on the pitch but he isn't going to be there for every game.

We are lightweight - have heard a few people mention being "too nice". We aren't too nice, we lack in strength. If we overrun the ball or show after a poor first touch then we lose the physical battle far too frequently.

Poor defensive positioning - Due to a lack of leadership at the back, and playing players out of position. We are all over the place from set pieces and far too often we leave men free.

Unbalanced - too many similar players trying to perform the same duties in the wrong areas. This is probably why we are so heavily reliant on Tammy's goals. We have players getting in each other's way and drifting at times. Changing formations during the game can't help?!

Lack zip - When out of possession we tend to jockey 5+ yards away from the man on the ball. This allows our players to be turned inside out. As soon as you allow players time to turn and run at you then you are in trouble. We need to be quicker to close down and we need to show some tenacity. We are too quick to give up when we initially miss a challenge.

Slow to react - We aren't anticipating where the ball is going to drop and we aren't on our toes mentally. This gets worse when confidence levels drop. Compounded by lack of leadership on the pitch.

Frustrations - Some players reactions aren't good. I am beginning to notice the Dziekanowski effect. Easy to become disillusioned when players around you don't have the same quality. Ultimately the frustration  will turn to petulance which in turn drives down the morale.

So can Lee turn it round? At the moment yes because the players are still playing for him, but unless results change soon and motivation and direction comes on the pitch as well as off of the pitch then I think he will be in trouble.

No good spouting philosophies when there is anarchy in the dressing room. 

His old man had a very similar moment when we went on a 9 game losing streak to be bottom of the division by Christmas, but Gary got shot of trouble makers and luxury players and got fighters in with a bit of grit to grind out the results needed to stay in the division.

I don't buy this building for the future lark. A player will be gone within half a season if they are any good in this day and age. We are simply trying to buy cheap and make a quick buck a la Kodjia last season.

The most important thing is to stay in the Championship but what worries me the most is that we seem to keep repeating the same mistakes in the same areas.

On 18/12/2016 at 09:48, boss hogg said:

im very much in the johnson out camp , so can the fans who think he should be given time please give there reasons for thinking he should be given time, what has he done so far to make you think he can change our fortunes, for me he's achieved nothing in his managerial career, for me reasons for him to go are, poor signings, seems tactically poor, nearly half way into the season doesn't know his best side, im trying to have an open mind but just cant see things getting better. 

With your chosen name I can understand your hatred of General Lee but like the series you will be wrong every week

PS Daisy was gorgeous

On 19/12/2016 at 00:21, Esmond Million's Bung said:

In a way he has brought a lot of this upon himself by making public his expectations, expectations that fans have bought into and like most managers whose results don't match the public pronouncements he seems genuinely surprised and with a high percentage of signings hardly getting any game time at all, the pressure is building but pressure brought upon by himself not the fans.

Did your manager tell your fans he expected your team to be challenging for promotion?.

No. He promised we'd remain true to his and the Club's philosophy of playing each game to win, playing without fear and giving 100%, being competitive basically. Which was music to our ears. That we'd continue where we left off in terms of our approach to games as well as our approach to recruiting footballers. Music to my ears especially because during our last stint up here we had become a side who when away from home especially, played not to lose. Yet invariably lost regardless. And did so using myriad high-cost loan players or free transfer veterans etc. 

I predicted and expected in the summer for us to finish in the bottom third. I said exactly that on this forum. I felt we'd be punished more up here for our expansive brand of football. And we have been. But then again, we've scored just as frequently. Won 9, lost 9. Only outplayed in spells of games, Fulham at home for long spells, but other than we've been in every game, but somehow squandering points or rescuing them (see our game at Oakwell when Hammill popped up). 

I still expect us to finish lower than our current standing, based on January and the many key players entering their final six months of their deals. That is the area if any where we've not improved since our new approach began in 2014. We're still unable to keep our better players tied down. But, I think that's just because we are who we are. Not sure many clubs in this division could convince Winnall, Hourihane and Watkins to renew when each know they've a huge deal likely in the summer if their form holds up.

I'd be disappointed if we end up sliding down the table in the second half of the season, losing a lot and playing negatively. But nothing I've seen so far this season suggests to me that could happen, unless like I say, we lose key players in January. 

But no. Our head coach didn't promise promotion. I can't recall LJ doing similar with you either.

Archived