IGNORED

can lee turn it around.

boss hogg

27 minutes ago, boss hogg said:

because i cant see us doing well long term, i wasnt getting carried away when we were doing well , i would love lj to take us up, i would still dislike him, tell me what you think his qualities are?

You've got an agenda against him, why would I waste my time? 

11 minutes ago, boss hogg said:

i do know lj played over 200 games for us, and im sure he would of played alot less if daddy wasnt in charge.

200 games during one of our most successful periods in modern times. 

Yeah, what was he doing in the team..! 

13 minutes ago, boss hogg said:

i do know lj played over 200 games for us, and im sure he would of played alot less if daddy wasnt in charge.

With all due respect, you've been on here since August, yet posted over 15 of your 25 posts on this thread alone. 

Have you just been sat waiting for a bad run of results..?

39 minutes ago, boss hogg said:

because i cant see us doing well long term, i wasnt getting carried away when we were doing well , i would love lj to take us up, i would still dislike him, tell me what you think his qualities are?

Isn't the phrase I won't get carried away when we're doing well or badly? Either you're coining a new term or I think you may have missed half of it mate.

47 minutes ago, boss hogg said:

can anyone tell me why lj was given the job in the first place, really interested to hear peoples views as i cant see 1 reason why he was appointed.

Mr. Hogg Lee Johnson was appointed because he is an up and coming young manager who has thus far never been sacked. Barnsley, the team he left to join BCFC had just qualified for the JPT final and were starting to move up the league 1 table. They gained promotion to the Championship at the end of the season via the play-offs. Had he stayed with Barnsley he would be getting Championship experience with them now. And you must remember that, just as Lee didn't have a transfer window which to recruit his own player neither did Paul Heckingbottom at Barnsley so it was LJ's players that won them promotion.

From what I gather he is quite well respected within football both here and abroad and was able to loan youngsters from Man City and United. This may well have been the deciding factor in loaning Tammy Abraham. The last two home games young Tammy missed a few sitters which cost us the two games but you don't seem to be calling for him to be dropped or sent back to Chelsea. Earlier in the season Aden Flint made a couple of errors that cost us goals and points but no demand to put him on the transfer list. Getting another striker wasn't a priority until late in the transfer window because we still had our top scorer from last season, that is until he forced a move to Villa. Once Kodjia left there was very little time to get a replacement in and unlike previous manager, his dad included, he refused to panic buy.

I respect your right to dislike Lee Johnson for whatever reasons you have, just like I had a serious dislike of Tony Pulis and Russell Osmond. If we were being overrun week in and week out I would most likely be echoing your calls for Johnson's head. But I think we were unlucky we didn't convert the chances we had, had we done so we would be knocking on the door of the play-off places. Let's hope by not panic buying a striker on deadline day (I don't count Engvall as I think he was bought as one to bring through for the future) Des Taylor has unearthed another gem in the Kodjia mould, Lee has taken it to Steve Lansdown and been o.k.'d and Mark Ashton has already stared negotiations with both club and player. Now I don't think these answers will pacify you at all, but I just thought I'd share my view.

1 hour ago, Bar BS3 said:

200 games during one of our most successful periods in modern times. 

Yeah, what was he doing in the team..! 

we did well despite him being in the team not because. check his playing history, only his dad ever gave him alot of game time, he did next to **** all anywhere else.

I have just seen the briefest of highlights and for their first goal firstly Reid was nowhere close enough to the player on the ball, I have no clue whatever Bryan was trying unsuccessfully to achieve but it was laughable and Flint lost his man and tried to blame Magnusson.

And the next action shown showed exactly the same 3 players make exactly the self same mistakes that led to goal but this time with the added bonus of Pack ambling back (somebody told me that he was our holding midfielder) and they hit the bar and then to make maters worse as the ball comes off the bar and one of their players is able to control the ball turn look in the mirror comb his hair and trim his nose hair whilst Reid and Pack (who has managed to arrive in the area by now) do a realistic impression of midfielders who have absolutely no concept of what closing a player down actually is.

The less said about the 2nd goal the better but here goes Oneil is in no mans land and facing the wrong way, Magnusson made half hearted attempt at heading the ball, Oneil manages to get back but his half hearted attempt to shepherd the goal scorer is pathetic at best and our new keeper is beaten tamely at his near post.

On the evidence of just 2 minutes of highlights the coaching simply ain't working with some players.

42 minutes ago, numbeast said:

were starting to move up the league 1 table. They gained promotion to the Championship at the end of the season via the play-offs. Had he stayed with Barnsley he would be getting Championship experience with them now.

From what I gather he is quite well respected within football both here and abroad 

All opinions good and better backed up with points but the first bit above is pure conjecture ( and which,  I think you will find is contrary to the opinion of Barnsley fans I've heard / read)

On the second - I've heard this said before 

Can I ask where you've heard this

The only people I've heard in 'football world' say it are SL & MA  - I'm not saying it is or isn't true but where does this emanate from ? 

1 hour ago, numbeast said:

Mr. Hogg Lee Johnson was appointed because he is an up and coming young manager who has thus far never been sacked. Barnsley, the team he left to join BCFC had just qualified for the JPT final and were starting to move up the league 1 table. They gained promotion to the Championship at the end of the season via the play-offs. Had he stayed with Barnsley he would be getting Championship experience with them now. And you must remember that, just as Lee didn't have a transfer window which to recruit his own player neither did Paul Heckingbottom at Barnsley so it was LJ's players that won them promotion.

From what I gather he is quite well respected within football both here and abroad and was able to loan youngsters from Man City and United. This may well have been the deciding factor in loaning Tammy Abraham. The last two home games young Tammy missed a few sitters which cost us the two games but you don't seem to be calling for him to be dropped or sent back to Chelsea. Earlier in the season Aden Flint made a couple of errors that cost us goals and points but no demand to put him on the transfer list. Getting another striker wasn't a priority until late in the transfer window because we still had our top scorer from last season, that is until he forced a move to Villa. Once Kodjia left there was very little time to get a replacement in and unlike previous manager, his dad included, he refused to panic buy.

I respect your right to dislike Lee Johnson for whatever reasons you have, just like I had a serious dislike of Tony Pulis and Russell Osmond. If we were being overrun week in and week out I would most likely be echoing your calls for Johnson's head. But I think we were unlucky we didn't convert the chances we had, had we done so we would be knocking on the door of the play-off places. Let's hope by not panic buying a striker on deadline day (I don't count Engvall as I think he was bought as one to bring through for the future) Des Taylor has unearthed another gem in the Kodjia mould, Lee has taken it to Steve Lansdown and been o.k.'d and Mark Ashton has already stared negotiations with both club and player. Now I don't think these answers will pacify you at all, but I just thought I'd share my view.

i'm not arguing with anything you say apart from the highlighted portion, how can you possibly know that he would have got them promoted?, the Barnsley fan who posted a really good post on a thread seems to have a different view.

He was head coach of us during our worst run in over 60 years, then in charge of our best run in nearly 20 years, so it suggests a theme. He had similar runs with Oldham too. Great runs, bad runs, great runs, bad runs. I had bad runs last night after a dodgy curry. 

But he somehow survived the bad run with us. Can he at AG?

It needs to be remembered that the majority on here were lauding him like a God a few weeks ago, and the players. A poor run of results and it now appears so many of you want him gone. It's a fickle world is football. I think that's more about football 'fans' than it is LJ or whoever sits in the dugout. I would though imagine the money you paid us for him and the recent big contract shows that your board are right behind him. I'd be amazed if he was sacked. 

There are quite the parallels though with us and yourselves in terms of these runs, and the standard of football you're describing. A change to 4-4-2 was massive in our turnaround. Perhaps that's the way to go for City? You tell me. 

I can guarantee you though that Lee will be working harder than anyone to arrest the slide. He probably takes too much on if I'm honest, but he cares. And he'll be hurting. This is his club. He walked out of us after amazing loyalty to shown to him by our now ill owner, because Bristol was the one place he wanted to be at more than any other. My suggestion/advice would be to get behind him, the players and remember that Rome (or even Bristol) wasn't built in a day. 

1 hour ago, numbeast said:

Not to disagree with you but it's pretty common knowledge that our players are signed using a Club created spreadsheet-esque mathematical system of ratings built a few years ago, and that whilst the head coach (not manager) does have some say in which players come in, they're Club signings, not the head coaches per se. And in all fairness, Hourihane, Winnall, Scowen, Davies, Bree etc were already at the Club when LJ arrived. So LJ's players didn't get us promoted. Our players did, and Hecky deserves the bulk of the credit considering our results once he took over. Results that have continued a division higher.

You're right though that he did lead us to the JPT final and we went from looking relegation certainties to playoff maybes before he left. I happen to think he's an extremely likeable bloke with lots of ideas, a great coach and personality. I think he'll do very well in management/coaching. I do not knock him for joining Bristol City. Why would I considering how things have gone for us since? 

But aye, don't over-egg the pudding. 

My one question to your fans would be why no Brownhill? LJ loved him with us. He kept Scowen out of the side somehow. I really rated Josh. Although to be fair, having now seen Sam Morsy I think we replaced him very well. But yeah, why no Brownhill? I don't watch City regular but I don't see Pack, Smith or Reid as any better and GON had his day years ago in my opinion.

3 hours ago, Loosey Boy said:

Spot on!

We need to stay calm, see what January brings in terms of the Striker we so desperately need and see what happens. We have been too reliant on Tammy since the start of the season - if you look at how many games we have lost by the odd-goal, we are not that far aware from being a much better side and one which should comfortably be in the top 10.

Tammy has missed 5/6 chances in the last couple of games which in Aug / Sept, he would have buried..........that's the difference

LJ said yesterday that he has "irons in the fire" and so we need to wait and see what happens......in the meantime, let's stay RIGHT behind the team - they need us more than ever right now 

In fact every defeat has been by one goal………except Brighton (0-2). We are not far from turning matters around…….roll on January

33 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

All opinions good and better backed up with points but the first bit above is pure conjecture ( and which,  I think you will find is contrary to the opinion of Barnsley fans I've heard / read)

On the second - I've heard this said before 

Can I ask where you've heard this

The only people I've heard in 'football world' say it are SL & MA  - I'm not saying it is or isn't true but where does this emanate from ? 

Point taken maybe I should have said Heckingbotton got them promoted with the team Johnson had, in the main, assembled. As to the opinions of Barnsley fans I'm sure they were as divided on LJ as fans of our own club are. And given he left, I believe, just after getting them to Wembley then leaving them to join a club of similar stature to them, I'm sure some of the moans (not all by any distance) could have been a bit of sour grapes.

As for him being respected within football, I read this before Steve Cottrell was sacked. I'm thinking the Mail online or BBC sports site or something along those lines. I kept an eye on his fledgling managerial career because I told a mate he would be our manager someday when he was first appointed at Oldham.

As an aside some people are saying he doesn't know his best formation of team. This time last season  under Cotts fans were moaning about him being too stubborn. Is this not a case of "damned if you do, damned if you don't"?

3 hours ago, boss hogg said:

can anyone tell me why lj was given the job in the first place, really interested to hear peoples views as i cant see 1 reason why he was appointed.

He did superb jobs at Oldham and Barnsley under difficult circumstances and I can imagine him coming across very well in an interview.

are you a gas head or do you just not know your ass from your elbow?

18 minutes ago, WhiteyBFC said:

Not to disagree with you but it's pretty common knowledge that our players are signed using a Club created spreadsheet-esque mathematical system of ratings built a few years ago, and that whilst the head coach (not manager) does have some say in which players come in, they're Club signings, not the head coaches per se. And in all fairness, Hourihane, Winnall, Scowen, Davies, Bree etc were already at the Club when LJ arrived. So LJ's players didn't get us promoted. Our players did, and Hecky deserves the bulk of the credit considering our results once he took over. Results that have continued a division higher.

You're right though that he did lead us to the JPT final and we went from looking relegation certainties to playoff maybes before he left. I happen to think he's an extremely likeable bloke with lots of ideas, a great coach and personality. I think he'll do very well in management/coaching. I do not knock him for joining Bristol City. Why would I considering how things have gone for us since? 

But aye, don't over-egg the pudding. 

My one question to your fans would be why no Brownhill? LJ loved him with us. He kept Scowen out of the side somehow. I really rated Josh. Although to be fair, having now seen Sam Morsy I think we replaced him very well. But yeah, why no Brownhill? I don't watch City regular but I don't see Pack, Smith or Reid as any better and GON had his day years ago in my opinion.

I stand corrected sir you obviously know more about Barnsley than I do and I'm always happy to be corrected (no sarcasm intended). Best of luck for the rest of the season.

Ok I'm a bit concerned with lack of optimism from certain fans. Seems like we want to sack a manager a season.

Lee has made some tactical errors but he is a young manager still still adapting to the championship. He is an intelligent articulated man who will turn the results around.

The players need to take responsibility for there performances and show some bottle and passion for this fantastic club.

With the right personnnel in January there is no reason why we can't aim for a top ten place.

we as fans need to get behind the team and management to guide Bristol City forward for the future.

41 minutes ago, numbeast said:

I stand corrected sir you obviously know more about Barnsley than I do and I'm always happy to be corrected (no sarcasm intended). Best of luck for the rest of the season.

Thank you very much. Merry Christmas to you all too. 

But please, don't be one of those clubs. That hound a manager out as soon as things go a bit sour. We used to do that. We lost 5 in 6 earlier this season and cheered the lads and Hecky off the pitch. Be together. It works.

2 hours ago, WhiteyBFC said:

He was head coach of us during our worst run in over 60 years, then in charge of our best run in nearly 20 years, so it suggests a theme. He had similar runs with Oldham too. Great runs, bad runs, great runs, bad runs. I had bad runs last night after a dodgy curry. 

It needs to be remembered that the majority on here were lauding him like a God a few weeks ago, and the players. A poor run of results and it now appears so many of you want him gone. It's a fickle world is football. I think that's more about football 'fans' than it is LJ or whoever sits in the dugout. I would though imagine the money you paid us for him and the recent big contract shows that your board are right behind him. I'd be amazed if he was sacked. 

There are quite the parallels though with us and yourselves in terms of these runs, and the standard of football you're describing. A change to 4-4-2 was massive in our turnaround. Perhaps that's the way to go for City? You tell me. 

I can guarantee you though that Lee will be working harder than anyone to arrest the slide. He probably takes too much on if I'm honest, but he cares. And he'll be hurting. This is his club. He walked out of us after amazing loyalty to shown to him by our now ill owner, because Bristol was the one place he wanted to be at more than any other. My suggestion/advice would be to get behind him, the players and remember that Rome (or even Bristol) wasn't built in a day. 

Top post mate! 

Whatever happens in the future, right now, this is a spot on assessment. 

3 hours ago, tts_city said:

we did well despite him being in the team not because. check his playing history, only his dad ever gave him alot of game time, he did next to **** all anywhere else.

If you ignore his 3 promotions and 3 player of year awards at Yeovil, you are probably right! 

Who cares if his dad was in charge at Yeovil or with us. They were successful times for both clubs. 

2 hours ago, WhiteyBFC said:

In a way he has brought a lot of this upon himself by making public his expectations, expectations that fans have bought into and like most managers whose results don't match the public pronouncements he seems genuinely surprised and with a high percentage of signings hardly getting any game time at all, the pressure is building but pressure brought upon by himself not the fans.

Did your manager tell your fans he expected your team to be challenging for promotion?.

15 hours ago, boss hogg said:

im very much in the johnson out camp , so can the fans who think he should be given time please give there reasons for thinking he should be given time, what has he done so far to make you think he can change our fortunes, for me he's achieved nothing in his managerial career, for me reasons for him to go are, poor signings, seems tactically poor, nearly half way into the season doesn't know his best side, im trying to have an open mind but just cant see things getting better. 

Thought bad appointment from day one and said as much from day one.

Nothing against LJ as a manager but having done nothing as a manager in division 3 how was it ever going to be any different here in division 2.

The next Eddie Howe? I don't think so.

2 hours ago, Sparkz 76 said:

Ok I'm a bit concerned with lack of optimism from certain fans. Seems like we want to sack a manager a season.

Where's the fun in long-term thinking? Imagine a world without moaners... But yeah, the last sentence is spot on. There's a reason why clubs who chop and change at every opportunity tend to do badly.

8 hours ago, Fontaineofallknowledge said:

He did superb jobs at Oldham and Barnsley under difficult circumstances and I can imagine him coming across very well in an interview.

are you a gas head or do you just not know your ass from your elbow?

gas head, **** off, been supporting city 25 years mate, just not a rose tinter like you.

21 hours ago, boss hogg said:

fluent you have got to be joking , did you go to huddersfield absolute shit and i judge every thing by results were droping like a stone with know sign of improvement , i hope things improve but cant see it coming, i am blinded by my dislike for lee but as ive said before for me hes never done a thing to earn my respect just smacks of a yes man with all the cliches he talks, hes signed a striker never gets a chance , defender never gets a chance, winger never gets a chance, but lets give him more money to spend.

quite agree mate an yes was at Huddersfield  the bloke dont know his best team his substitutions could be anybody but he does talk a good game on Subs bench would suggest pemberton had more ideal than him an was pulling the strings last season

Archived