IGNORED

Sacking culture

Sparkz 76

I know our results have not been great lately on the pitch but I really believe in Lee and think he is the right man for the job.

Look at the managers that have fell to King Lansdownes sword after relatively short stints. We as a collective club can't keep sacking managers every time we are up against it.

Look recently as Gary Rowett 7th in the championship gets sacked and he will not be the first or last.

Lansdown obviously believes in Lee just as I and I hope the vast majority of supporters do.

Obvoiusly results have to turn around but with the correct personnel I believe we can achieve our clubs realistic goals.

The championship is a ruthless league with copious amounts of money being brandished around for transfers we need to keep the faith and support our manager and our players

COYR

15 minutes ago, Sparkz 76 said:

I know our results have not been great lately on the pitch but I really believe in Lee and think he is the right man for the job.

Look at the managers that have fell to King Lansdownes sword after relatively short stints. We as a collective club can't keep sacking managers every time we are up against it.

Look recently as Gary Rowett 7th in the championship gets sacked and he will not be the first or last.

Lansdown obviously believes in Lee just as I and I hope the vast majority of supporters do.

Obvoiusly results have to turn around but with the correct personnel I believe we can achieve our clubs realistic goals.

The championship is a ruthless league with copious amounts of money being brandished around for transfers we need to keep the faith and support our manager and our players

COYR

Playing devils advocate, why can't we keep sacking managers?  Chelsea and Man City do it and have been more successful recently than Arsenal who don't.  Watford do it and look how well they have done over the last few years.  

Perhaps modern footballers need a difference voice every two years or so. 

I would keep Johnson until at least end of the season but if we announced Rowett tomorrow I wouldn't mind that either. 

34 minutes ago, Sparkz 76 said:

COYR

Let's look at SL's history of managers. Currently we're sat about 10 places higher than we finished the season he took over as chairman, 14 odd years ago and X million pounds later. (Nice stadium though).

Hardly inspires confidence either way, does it?

Northern Ireland Danny Wilson 2000–2004
England Brian Tinnion 2004–2005
England Gary Johnson 2005–2010
England Steve Coppell 2010
England Keith Millen 2010–2011
Scotland Derek McInnes 2011–2013
Republic of Ireland Sean O'Driscoll 2013
England Steve Cotterill 2013–2016
England Lee Johnson 2016–Present

8 minutes ago, RumRed said:

Let's look at SL's history of managers. Currently we're sat about 10 places higher than we finished the season he took over as chairman, 14 odd years ago and X million pounds later. (Nice stadium though).

Bring back Stevie Coppell! :dance:

2 hours ago, RedDave said:

Playing devils advocate, why can't we keep sacking managers?  Chelsea and Man City do it and have been more successful recently than Arsenal who don't.  Watford do it and look how well they have done over the last few years.  

Perhaps modern footballers need a difference voice every two years or so. 

I would keep Johnson until at least end of the season but if we announced Rowett tomorrow I wouldn't mind that either. 

Chelsea and Man C have billionaire owners and rake in over 100m a year 

We , as supporters, don't see even half of what goes on at a football club , apart from the results or performances not being good .

Those who work at a club can see if the coach has lost it for whatever reason, a difference of opinion with the board , a domestic problem that takes his eye off the job , an illness... 

Hopefully the respective boards would monitor and act where necessary to replace a coach that was untenable or support one who was doing all the right things but needed help .

Coaches today are under enormous pressure to win , it is almost inhuman and I don't think many can cope with it for too long before cracking completely.

1 hour ago, Major Isewater said:

We , as supporters, don't see even half of what goes on at a football club , apart from the results or performances not being good .

Those who work at a club can see if the coach has lost it for whatever reason, a difference of opinion with the board , a domestic problem that takes his eye off the job , an illness... 

Hopefully the respective boards would monitor and act where necessary to replace a coach that was untenable or support one who was doing all the right things but needed help .

Coaches today are under enormous pressure to win , it is almost inhuman and I don't think many can cope with it for too long before cracking completely.

Good post Major, but you're forgetting the many ITK posters on the forum who know everything, and sometimes more than everything, that goes on at City. 

8 hours ago, RumRed said:

What is really sad about this list is that supporters thought most of the managerial appointments were good, when they were made. Only Tinnion and Millen were inexperienced, so it's not as though SL appointed a bunch of rubbish as managers. 

13 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

I'm pleased for you Sparkz that you think so highly of our current Head Coach. You'll be able to watch him doing his thing next season in League One!

A bit harsh I think but we do need to be beating the likes of Brentford & Preston on our own turf considering they are no bigger than us and possibly work on smaller budgets. If we are to ever get to the PL then money must be spent on both transfer fees and wages else we really are wasting our time. We have a reasonable Championship squad but it is never going to get us "over the line" and only a handful of players we have will ever make it in the higher league.

4 hours ago, pongo88 said:

What is really sad about this list is that supporters thought most of the managerial appointments were good, when they were made. Only Tinnion and Millen were inexperienced, so it's not as though SL appointed a bunch of rubbish as managers. 

Makes you wonder what the one constant is.

6 minutes ago, RedDave said:

Go foreign

Ahh, the usual reply.  We could have it worse Tann, Venkys etc,  Yada Yada....

Agreed, not what I would wish but there has to be something wrong.  I want SL to succeed and love the fact the clubs owned by him and he's splashed out on the stadium etc.  Something isn't working though and it doesn't appear to be cash or desire, so what is it?

5 minutes ago, RumRed said:

Ahh, the usual reply.  We could have it worse Tann, Venkys etc,  Yada Yada....

Agreed, not what I would wish but there has to be something wrong.  I want SL to succeed and love the fact the clubs owned by him and he's splashed out on the stadium etc.  Something isn't working though and it doesn't appear to be cash or desire, so what is it?

I meant foreign manager.

Although perhaps we just need to appoint someone who has won something at a decent level.  

16 hours ago, RumRed said:

Wasn't Cotterill Keith Dawes manager?...

18 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

I'm pleased for you Sparkz that you think so highly of our current Head Coach. You'll be able to watch him doing his thing next season in League One!

This is what you are so cock sure of, but I wonder what it is that you would LIKE to happen. Lee to turn it round or not?

5 hours ago, RedDave said:

I meant foreign manager.

Although perhaps we just need to appoint someone who has won something at a decent level.  

Like the recently departed Villa boss replaced by an Englishman who has done rather well since coming in. The point being there are also plenty of failures with foreign coaches. 

I have said it a hundred times. Benny took over a piss poor team from Ward. They were not even fit. Pre season training had to start during the season. Players complaining about training twice a day as it would affect their golfing, players throwing up at training having been out in Birmingham all night. A Sunday League club.

22 hours ago, Sparkz 76 said:

COYR

I would say  that SL is pretty loyal compared to many chairman. As for LJ I really hope he succeeds but he cannot keep relying on the transfer market.He has to get the best from what he has and that does not seem the case at the moment. We have Engvall not used, Paterson a lightweight and the likes of O'Dowda and Brownhill hardly used.The club cannot afford to sign players and never make use of them.

Archived