IGNORED

Flint to be sold?

ciderbeans

It's been well documented that interest in Flint is there.

With is having moore as a ready made replacement and looking at buying the likes of bailey wright at cb, coupled with a club like West Brom who were interested and have bids on for 3/4 players, could he be one out the door?

been a great servant but IMO, has reached his peak of ability and hasn't offered us what he has in the past regarding defending at set pieces being first to every ball, and providing goals at the other end.

should we look to cash in and use the money to strengthen elsewhere? Now is probably the best time in his career to maximise our profit on him...

Not unless the offer is too good to turn down.

He may well have reached the ceiling of his ability but that still leaves him as a good Championship defender and we'd struggle horribly without him.

Moore and Magnusson might be technically better players but one should never underestimate the importance of a big, strong and above all determined centre half, especially in this league. If we lost Flint we'd lose something that would be extremely hard to replace.

I don't accept we've got a ready made replacement and Flint remains one of our most consistent and important players.

You say he's reached the peak of his ability. Maybe, but that ability classes him as very competent CB at this level, and the positive affect on his team mates of his attitude and determination should not be under rated. Flint is very much the backbone of our team.

He would be a huge loss and would only leave for a bigger or better placed club.

That such a club might want him it says it all imo., despite some OTIBers being absolutely set on continuing to underappreciate his worth to the club. 

10 minutes ago, BCFC_Dan said:

Not unless the offer is too good to turn down.

He may well have reached the ceiling of his ability but that still leaves him as a good Championship defender and we'd struggle horribly without him.

Moore and Magnusson might be technically better players but one should never underestimate the importance of a big, strong and above all determined centre half, especially in this league. If we lost Flint we'd lose something that would be extremely hard to replace.

9 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

I don't accept we've got a ready made replacement and Flint remains one of our most consistent and important players.

You say he's reached the peak of his ability. Maybe, but that ability classes him as very competent CB at this level, and the positive affect on his team mates of his attitude and determination should not be under rated. Flint is very much the backbone of our team.

He would be a huge loss and would only leave for a bigger or better placed club.

That such a club might want him it says it all imo., despite some OTIBers being absolutely set on continuing to underappreciate his worth to the club. 

Great posts fellas 

Except our record at replacing players is not good limited options  up front a dodgy midfield which is often bullied out of the match plus a leaky defence and also looking for another keeper apart from that its a good squad.

Ayling was sold without cover because Little is crap pushing Bryant back out of position Matthews doe's a job when fit Pack is out of his depth the squad is light weight at best, last season we had Baker who  on the whole played a solid no nonsense dependable game . Flint is the most reliable defender we have as well as always giving his utmost wouldn't be at all surprised to see Tomlin gone in January out of any of em.

I don't think he's reached his peak. Maybe for this level but going up a level even at his age with the coaching and constant playing against a higher Cali reputation player, he can still get better. I think Flint will be out the door soon. Maybe not in January but if he went to a newly promoted team or a team looking just to avoid relegation I would not be shocked. This is down to LJ. He's not one of his signings and while he's been a rock for us as a general rule, he's not the athlete nor footballer I think LJ is looking for IMO. If we can receive a hefty sum for him(look at similar prices for similar players then anywhere from 4-8m) then I think the club wouldn't hesitate. Would Moore be ready by next season? Possibly but I think a more experienced CB would come in and they'd compete for that spot next to Magnusson(if we can keep him but that's another topic). 

• Admin
12 minutes ago, LeeCity said:

He's not going anywhere, he's just signed a longer contract.

Since when has that meant ANYTHING in football?

Could be just to include a better sell on clause / buy out minimum etc?

Anyone offered a wage rise is going to listen to the offer

18 minutes ago, LeeCity said:

He's not going anywhere, he's just signed a longer contract.

Come on, surely you can see that that move was just as much about protecting the club as it was rewarding Flint. 

If the right offer comes in he'll be sold.

Kodjia was considerably more important to us and he was sold. We're not Man Utd, if an offer comes in that the board think is too good to turn down, then it'll be accepted and he'd be off in a shot if a top Champ club or lower Prem club was in for him. 

27 minutes ago, grove park city said:

Except our record at replacing players is not good limited options  up front a dodgy midfield which is often bullied out of the match plus a leaky defence and also looking for another keeper apart from that its a good squad.

Ayling was sold without cover because Little is crap pushing Bryant back out of position Matthews doe's a job when fit Pack is out of his depth the squad is light weight at best, last season we had Baker who  on the whole played a solid no nonsense dependable game . Flint is the most reliable defender we have as well as always giving his utmost wouldn't be at all surprised to see Tomlin gone in January out of any of em.

Full stops, sentences, commas. Use them

39 minutes ago, phantom said:

Since when has that meant ANYTHING in football?

Could be just to include a better sell on clause / buy out minimum etc?

Anyone offered a wage rise is going to listen to the offer

Agreed, contract extensions protect the clubs asset I.e. If somebody wants to buy the player they have to pay more as the contract is longer, it works for the club just as much as the player.  A contract extension is just as much a sign that the player will be sold than it is that the player will stay these days.

3 minutes ago, Abingdon Red said:

I swear 'Flint has reached his peak/ain't good enough' has been brought up pre-Xmas every season since he joined us. Yet by the end of the season he has always made a step up and is considered a vital player for us. 

Flint is essentially a " head it and kick it" CB. The best advice he's been given since LJ took over is "keep it simple" and fair play to Flint he's done exactly that. He's stopped hoofing the ball 40 odd yards and therefore losing possession . He now keeps his passes short and easy.

As others have said he lacks the technique of Moore and Hodur  but despite that does a decent enough job and would get into most SBC teams. He's reached his ability level.

Should he move on I'd like to see Sol Bamba tempted from Cardiff to fill the vacancy.

20 minutes ago, j mizel said:

With Baker next to him last season, they arguably looked the best pairing in the league (Baker's disciplinary record aside).

Magnusson is a step down on Baker. Loosing Flint would tell you what you need know about the future of the club. As did the sale of Kodjia...

None of this is true. 

26 minutes ago, j mizel said:

With Baker next to him last season, they arguably looked the best pairing in the league (Baker's disciplinary record aside).

Magnusson is a step down on Baker. Loosing Flint would tell you what you need know about the future of the club. As did the sale of Kodjia...

I see you're a newbie. 

You should accept that your own opinions won't be seen as sensible views and you haven't got off to a good start.......:facepalm:

2 hours ago, ciderbeans said:

With is having moore as a ready made replacement and looking at buying the likes of bailey wright at cb, coupled with a club like West Brom who were interested and have bids on for 3/4 players, could he be one out the door?

been a great servant but IMO, has reached his peak of ability and hasn't offered us what he has in the past regarding defending at set pieces being first to every ball, and providing goals at the other end.

should we look to cash in and use the money to strengthen elsewhere? Now is probably the best time in his career to maximise our profit on him...

This whole post makes no sense, it basically reads, guys not good enough for us, let him go to a prem club and move on if we get an offer. 

51 minutes ago, j mizel said:

The problem was the continued selection of 3-5-2 in the first half of the season. Baker is better than Magnusson, there's really no debate.

To be fair to Hordur though, having Joe Bryan playing left back really doesn't help him.

Baker is different to Mags . I never really trusted him .

Mags , is quicker , more comfortable in possession, reads the game better and keeps cool under pressure .

Baker is a scrapper , a menace to opposing players and often his own . Prone to getting carded and injured .

No comparison.

2 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

Baker is different to Mags . I never really trusted him .

Mags , is quicker , more comfortable in possession, reads the game better and keeps cool under pressure .

Baker is a scrapper , a menace to opposing players and often his own . Prone to getting carded and injured .

No comparison.

Baker is more in the Flint mould. He'd be ideal as the centre sweeper type like Flint. I think Baker would be a slight upgrade on Flint in the middle of a 3-5-2 but I don't think that's a formation we'll see much of and Baker has nowhere near the class of Magnusson. Magnusson still has a bit to go defensive wise(I know that's his main job) but when that catches up it'll be really hard to keep him. 

4 hours ago, j mizel said:

Apart from the 71 goals that went in they were solid.

5 hours ago, ciderbeans said:

WBA surely would not consider him Prem quality? I don't really think he is above league1 standard, love the bloke, but, 'tis the truth.

4 hours ago, j mizel said:

'Losing' Kodjia? We were offered £14m for a player that cost c.£2m, and wanted to play at a 'higher' level, great business, but we need to replace him, which we will, hopefully. Magnusson is quality, and can only get better, plus he is our player, selling Flint for 5/6m would be great business also, can't give you a like, in spite of the Season Of Goodwill and all that, must try harder.  

Archived