IGNORED

Paul Heckingbottom

old_eastender

This is the guy I'd like to see as our next manager, a true 'up and coming' young manager. The true guy behind Barnsley's success last season. Considering he has had virtually no money to spend he has done really well establishing Barnsley as a mid-table Championship side. Achieved by building a team and style of play to suit the players at his disposal, square pegs in square holes.

I'd wager if Barnsley had the luxury of having Tammy in their side, they would be sitting pretty in the top six.

That said, I don't believe SL will sack LJ any time soon.

24 minutes ago, old_eastender said:

This is the guy I'd like to see as our next manager, a true 'up and coming' young manager. The true guy behind Barnsley's success last season. Considering he has had virtually no money to spend he has done really well establishing Barnsley as a mid-table Championship side. Achieved by building a team and style of play to suit the players at his disposal, square pegs in square holes.

I'd wager if Barnsley had the luxury of having Tammy in their side, they would be sitting pretty in the top six.

This is a wind up surely??

1 hour ago, old_eastender said:

This reads like someone who's seen an awful lot of Barnsley in order to make such judgements. 

9 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

This reads like someone who's seen an awful lot of Barnsley in order to make such judgements. 

I've not missed a competitive Barnsley match that Heckingbottom as been in charge of us for, or Lee Johnson form that matter, and he his right. 

But he'll not leave Barnsley for Bristol City anyway so it doesn't matter to you what so ever 

7 minutes ago, Rascal said:

I've not missed a competitive Barnsley match that Heckingbottom as been in charge of us for, or Lee Johnson form that matter, and he his right. 

But he'll not leave Barnsley for Bristol City anyway so it doesn't matter to you what so ever 

Can't say I have such a detailed knowledge of Barnsley/Heckingbottom in order to say whether he'd be a good replacement if we required one.

What I can say is that you can't say your last point with any certainty. Despite a recent blip in form as a club we're on an upward trajectory and I think lots of managers would like the chance to work here. If we did want him, I'm sure he'd be very tempted :thumbsup:

7 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Can't say I have such a detailed knowledge of Barnsley/Heckingbottom in order to say whether he'd be a good replacement if we required one.

What I can say is that you can't say your last point with any certainty. Despite a recent blip in form as a club we're on an upward trajectory and I think lots of managers would like the chance to work here. If we did want him, I'm sure he'd be very tempted :thumbsup:

You're probably right but as a educated guess I'd say he'd turn you down if you approached him, my guess is based on a couple of things, his kids who I believe are in their early teens or younger go to school in Barnsley and he's a big family man, he's Barnsley born and bread, he's a Barnsley Fan, he as a brilliant squad of players here, and the list of clubs he as played for are as follows, Scarborough, Heartlepool, Darlington, Norwich, Bradford, Wednesday, Barnsley, Mansfield, Gateshead. 

Apart from the 12 months at Norwich all his clubs have been Northern, their seems to be a pattern there and this is the reason I can't see him moving to Bristol, he's a northerner and I think he always will be. 

33 minutes ago, Rascal said:

How naive, I am afraid money talks pal and the fact that your old assistant risked his career for £5k means your coaching staff are on peanuts!

i wouldn't swap Johnson for him anyway to be honest as form changes quickly in football and I still expect to finish higher than Barnsley. 

7 minutes ago, Sergio Georgini said:

He's hardly any different from Johnson in terms of experience. 

People are bleating on about Heckingbottom because it suits the anti-Johnson agenda.

Heckingbottom ultimately got them promoted and won the JPT, and right now he's doing better than Johnson in the league. To the Johnson doubters that strengthens the argument that Johnson is a fraud; it must've been all Heckingbottom's work and none of Johnson's that resulted in the Barnsley promotion, JPT win and good league form. 

I can't say I know enough about Barnsley to say what impact Johnson did/didn't have on their current form and success last season so I will reserve judgement.. thing is, I sincerely doubt any of our fans who are mentioning Heckingbottom honestly know that much about Barnsley/Johnson/Heckingbottom either.

8 minutes ago, Fontaineofallknowledge said:

How naive, I am afraid money talks pal and the fact that your old assistant risked his career for £5k means your coaching staff are on peanuts!

i wouldn't swap Johnson for him anyway to be honest as form changes quickly in football and I still expect to finish higher than Barnsley. 

Not naive at all, I know if he carrys on as he is and he continues to improve and teams like, Hull City, Sunderland, Middlesbrough, Wednesday came calling he'd be off, I just can't seeing him moving south. 

1 hour ago, old_eastender said:

good shout

6 minutes ago, billywedlock said:

For sure, and he is doing so well he should ride that train. Good on him, looks like we got the wrong man based on that. I thought you would struggle as many do when coming up, you must be delighted that you are keeping head above water. 

It was never in doubt for me, I knew we'd piss safety this year, I said as much in August on Twitter to City fans who thought we'd struggle and finish bottom of the league, I also said we would finish higher than City this season, I believed it then and I believe it now. We have a brilliant squad of players at the club who are a team, as well as a really good coach, who plays them to their strengths, next season is and always as been the worry for me, that's when I feel we may struggle once these lads move on to better things. 

Heckingbottom took over a club in a good state, in a decent league position and a Wembley Cup Final to look forward to. Most managers don't have that luxury, His true test will be to turn around a struggling team which he hasn't done yet in his short managerial career, I wouldn't want him here, not that I think LJ is going anywhere. The only way he will go is if he resigns, which he would do if he thought he wasn't up to the job as he's Bristol City through and through.

14 minutes ago, AppyDAZE said:

Love how he can't bring himself to include Pembo

I think he's just about the only person who hasn't received direct criticism on here.. that's included Johnson, Lansdown, Ashton, all of the players.. now a new coach that no one has any tangible evidence about his impact.. 

If Holden is getting criticism then Pemberton is just as deserving.

2 hours ago, old_eastender said:

This is the guy I'd like to see as our next manager, a true 'up and coming' young manager. The true guy behind Barnsley's success last season. Considering he has had virtually no money to spend he has done really well establishing Barnsley as a mid-table Championship side.

I like yr posts, old eastender, but has Heckingbottom really 'established them' as a mid-table team? They were in the bottom 3 for some of this season, and they may yet still either go down or drop to 19th by May. It's a bit early, after half a season, to describe them as an established mid-table outfit. Perspective, everyone! (Plus I really don't think Barnsley will answer our telephone calls at the moment... In fact, which clubs will?!!)

30 minutes ago, EnclosureSurge said:

I like yr posts, old eastender, but has Heckingbottom really 'established them' as a mid-table team? They were in the bottom 3 for some of this season, and they may yet still either go down or drop to 19th by May. It's a bit early, after half a season, to describe them as an established mid-table outfit. Perspective, everyone! (Plus I really don't think Barnsley will answer our telephone calls at the moment... In fact, which clubs will?!!)

We lost our first game of the season and was 23rd, after our second game we was 13th, then within 5 games we was in the top 6 as high as 4th if my memory serves me well, since then we've been no lower than 17th. 

26 minutes ago, ashton_fan said:

Heckingbottom took over a club in a good state, in a decent league position and a Wembley Cup Final to look forward to. Most managers don't have that luxury, His true test will be to turn around a struggling team which he hasn't done yet in his short managerial career, I wouldn't want him here, not that I think LJ is going anywhere. The only way he will go is if he resigns, which he would do if he thought he wasn't up to the job as he's Bristol City through and through.

The 11 games  from the 8th game to the 18th wasn't a bed of roses and he turned that around 

IMG_0226.PNG

13 minutes ago, Rascal said:

We lost our first game of the season was 3rd bottom after our second game we was 14th, then within 5 games we was in the top 6 as high as 4th if my memory serves me well, since then we've been no lower than 15th. 

Half way through the season and two more wins than us...I wonder if two wins will be the difference at the end of the season. I'm really at a loss to how some of our supporters think he's a better manager than LJ based on our positions right now and a couple wins difference.

After the January window, it could all be so different. Like it was when SC came in here and used the January window well with loans.

I personally think we'll finish above Barnsley or in a similar position come the end of the season. Both decent managers imo.

9 minutes ago, Rascal said:

The 11 games  from the 8th game to the 18th wasn't a bed of roses and he turned that around 

IMG_0226.PNG

Look at the teams you've played against since Octobers Newcastle game...nice little run of fixtures against teams struggling or poor, bound to do wonders for confidence.

Archived