IGNORED

Sack or Back LJ

Dynamite Red

Sack or Back LJ  

427 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 hour ago, REDOXO said:

Once momentum has gathered its hard to bring it back.

We have people questioning the commitment of Tomlin, Flint, Smith Matthews, etc etc today. In fact the only one not questioned is Tammy!

This says it all really. If the players are so uncommitted why is that? And how do you change it??

Is it Obvious?

A reason Tammy doesn't get questioned is because of his reaction at full time, the lad was clearly devastated and put in an absolute shift on his own upfront for the majority of the game.

3 hours ago, Red Exile said:

He's here to stay...so I've not voted...I don't think anyone of influence at the Gate is interested in what we think.

What's missing at the moment is confidence, not playing talent. If we sign a couple of new faces the playing talent will improve over the next few weeks. What I feel may not improve is the match day confidence. In my (non-football) managerial experience, confidence comes from the top, particularly when leading inexperienced teams. The boss give the confidence that things will be ok...and that's what's missing. Much as he seems a nice chap and may indeed be a great coach, what LJ apparently lacks is the capacity to make his side feel like world beaters. They crumple when put under pressure. I believe that's LJ's problem...I don't see how it will be easily solved.

But I don't think he's going anywhere...he's part of the Bristol Sport family.

Fine post, as ever RE.

Last summer, the Guardian ran a long feature on LJ and us, and Lee seemed to "wow" the reporter with his talk of visiting A&E and the SAS to study decision-making under pressure and lots of other gubbins. There was also mention of "performance psychology" being used, to help players - our young ones, probably - "be bold and not fear retribution for giving the ball away. That can be quite powerful if that's over 11 players."

As the second half went on, we just could not keep the ball. We couldn't put any pressure on Reading, it was all on us. Relentlessly.

They appeared to be fearing "retribution." Like you, I see a lack of confidence. 

I've posted elsewhere, somewhat flippantly, that Lee knows his theory - that's where he talks a "good game" and no doubt was able to "wow" Mark Ashton with this - but his practice is still under development. I reckon he must have been successful with getting a group of players to "be bold" when at Oldham - we saw this at AG a few years back - but is currently finding this difficult with the current group, including a couple of very talented players that have been coached by better and more experienced ones than Lee. He's gone up a level and the "practice" is more demanding.

Another buzz phrase from early this season was "pitch personality," what he wanted the team to have and project on the pitch. Not the sort of thing Cotts would've come out with, bless him. Unfortunately, our "pitch personality" is all too evident, and lacking any confidence or belief once the opposition score.

It's one thing saying these things - I could rustle up some of the pop sports psychology stuff he comes out with - quite another putting them into practice. 

I've voted don't know as I feel Johnson could pull us out of this tailspin with a few good additions this month and - as we say every bloody game - we aren't so bad yet we are getting thrashed. 

A new manager will always be a roll of the dice, and at this stage of the season may even make matters worse.

That said, he's made one too many baffling decisions for me recently - Moore's loan being the turning point - and if he goes I'll shed no tears.

If he exits, it has to be soon though. 

4 hours ago, Jack Dawe said:

Fine post, as ever RE.

Last summer, the Guardian ran a long feature on LJ and us, and Lee seemed to "wow" the reporter with his talk of visiting A&E and the SAS to study decision-making under pressure and lots of other gubbins. There was also mention of "performance psychology" being used, to help players - our young ones, probably - "be bold and not fear retribution for giving the ball away. That can be quite powerful if that's over 11 players."

As the second half went on, we just could not keep the ball. We couldn't put any pressure on Reading, it was all on us. Relentlessly.

They appeared to be fearing "retribution." Like you, I see a lack of confidence. 

I've posted elsewhere, somewhat flippantly, that Lee knows his theory - that's where he talks a "good game" and no doubt was able to "wow" Mark Ashton with this - but his practice is still under development. I reckon he must have been successful with getting a group of players to "be bold" when at Oldham - we saw this at AG a few years back - but is currently finding this difficult with the current group, including a couple of very talented players that have been coached by better and more experienced ones than Lee. He's gone up a level and the "practice" is more demanding.

Another buzz phrase from early this season was "pitch personality," what he wanted the team to have and project on the pitch. Not the sort of thing Cotts would've come out with, bless him. Unfortunately, our "pitch personality" is all too evident, and lacking any confidence or belief once the opposition score.

It's one thing saying these things - I could rustle up some of the pop sports psychology stuff he comes out with - quite another putting them into practice. 

I've come across many a 12 year old* with an MBA in both public and private sectors convinced they know it all. I do hope Lee is not the equivalent. I really like the man and want him to succeed but the doubts are growing.

*copyright Ed Reardon.;)

I voted sack, not that I think that will happen anytime soon. As many others have said LJ talks a good game, but his inept tactics, playing key players out of position, refusing to give Engval a chance (other than Hull in the cup, where he looked sharp up against Premier League defenders), the farce of letting Moore go out on loan with Maggers injured and playing a RB as CB instead. The Barnsley fans who warned us want we were getting were spot on.

I hope 2-3 new signings can help LJ turn the tide and keep us up this year... that is all we can hope for. For me the current squad, if used properly, should have been good enough for comfortable mid-table finish, now its all about avoiding the drop. 

I do fear that LJ will end up doing as much damage to this club as Pulis did.

2 hours ago, old_eastender said:

I voted sack, not that I think that will happen anytime soon. As many others have said LJ talks a good game, but his inept tactics, playing key players out of position, refusing to give Engval a chance (other than Hull in the cup, where he looked sharp up against Premier League defenders), the farce of letting Moore go out on loan with Maggers injured and playing a RB as CB instead. The Barnsley fans who warned us want we were getting were spot on.

I hope 2-3 new signings can help LJ turn the tide and keep us up this year... that is all we can hope for. For me the current squad, if used properly, should have been good enough for comfortable mid-table finish, now its all about avoiding the drop. 

I do fear that LJ will end up doing as much damage to this club as Pulis did.

I'm afraid that he's going to do a whole lot more damage than Pulis, because he'll be here a whole lot longer.

10 hours ago, adamski said:

I think recently the problem is about who the club appoint and why, is the club setting them up to fail (young and keen)? I'm sure LJ desperately want's to succeed and I wanted him to, however, was he ever going to? Little experience, no track record, should he ever have been considered and did we do the boy a disservice by appointing him? It seems to me that SL is desperate to uncover the next Eddie Howe which is quite a risky strategy. I'd like to see a safe pair of hands that can build up a strong sustainable squad that will be there or there abouts. No idea who's out there, or who could be poached..Perhaps Moyes will be available again soon....!!!!! Rowett (still a gamble)

someone experienced not on the cheap an not a yes man now whoever i suggest il get a knockback but a bloke that knows tactics an how to set a team up could you honestly name a starting side next week because he must put their names in a hat 

Back. He's not perfect yet, but he's not the finished article either.

With a couple of additions I think the form will turn soon; despite losing yesterday there were positives and we won't play many teams that are as fluid or mobile as that Reading side. 

They played excellent football and clearly have superior players to us right now. 

For me, Cardiff is a must win game. How ironic that it could be Neil Warnock that decides his fate one way or another.

I voted that I'm not sure. My patience is wearing very thin following the Reading game and with this terrible run of results LJ couldn't really have any complaints if he was sacked. Having said that, I don't know who realistically would replace him and there is no guarantee it would work (like when SOD replaced McInness and we still got relegated with barely a whimper). It seems like a risk either way. I'm glad I'm not the one who has to make the decision.

I think that with the right additions to the team in Jan we can achieve a mid-table finish, but I'm very frustrated that we find ourselves in this position yet again and LJ has to take some of the blame for that. We shouldn't really be in a position where we are relying on new players to get out of a relegation dogfight. Thank goodness we are not entrenched in the relegation zone yet and playing catch-up.

19 hours ago, Fiale said:

Personally, I think Lj is here to stay though - so I hope we can sort through this tough period and get back to winning ways.

Hope so. The bed wetters need to pipe down and give him a chance.   Win the next three and we'll be looking comfortable and with an outside chance of a PO place.

You Reds.

22 hours ago, tinman85 said:

Why did the fans not protest at 1pm with SL outside?

I'd say due to one of three reasons. Or a combination of:

1. 1pm was too early for most.

2. Those that moan on here weren't there on Saturday.

3. It's easier to moan on here than do anything else/positive.

I'm backing LJ. He's made and making mistakes. He needs time, perhaps some more experienced support and some better players.

He needs our support - as they all do. We'll be nowhere if we continue the cycle of appoint, moan, sack and reappoint every few years.

Where's that actually got us in recent times? Absolutely nowhere.

Good afternoon, and happy new year to one and all.

I've let the storm calm down before giving my own opinion regarding our Head Coach and all things Bristol City.

First point I'd like to put across is how rude and inconsiderate some posters are regarding Lee. Calling him "the little man", "dwarf", "little midget" e.g. Have some respect for a human being from one to another. I can understand the frustration. However, such name calling is disgusting and is not needed. It's a game of football at the end of the day. (Sorry to admit)

Moving on, do we back or sack LJ? Honestly, I am in the not so sure camp at this moment in time. If we lose the next two games (Fleetwood and Cardiff) then yes he has to go. Although it seems Lansdown and the board are ready to back him by allowing him to bring in more players during this window. Evidently tells me he is here to stay.

The question I ask others is who would you bring in if LJ was gone tomorrow? Gary Rowett? Seems a plausible choice (my choice also), but if he didn't come, who else? 

Other posters are also claiming the team is good enough to finish in the top half this season. I would disagree, apart from the likes of Abraham, Flint, Magnusson, and Bryan (played in the correct position). I believe our team is all round pretty poor. And of course LJ and the staff have contributed to that in the summer by signing so called "future" players. Seems we took our eye of the ball by not signing the players of "today". And it sounds like LJ has realised this by the names going round this window that are apparently coming in. 

Seems like this season is a learning curve for all of us all round. I don't think we will get relegated, but as my prediction in the summer suggested. A place of around 12th-18th. Hopefully come next month we look back at these results and kiss them goodbye.

Happy new year to you all once more.

4 hours ago, JackIKnowski said:

LJ out of his depth. I think Giggs would be amazing why not have him till end of season. Pearson built the foundation of that Leicester side and should be respected. I personally like Paul Jewell he did great job at Wigan.

Only name mentioned I hate is Adkins, wasn't he a Physio???

Ryan Giggs was a stone-cold amazing player, but I think it is fair to say as a head coach/manager a completely unknown quantity.  He gets excellent press (helped by the respect people have for him as a player) but he'd be as big if not bigger gamble than LJ is.

Pearson is damaged goods; I was keen this time last year, but he utterly shit the bed at Derby, where he apparently upset everyone from the players to the tea lady through being outrageously arrogant, so I've no interest in him here anymore - some will scoff at that, but his twice being sacked for non-footballing reasons should worry anyone.

Jewell; not sure.  He's only managed a couple of years out of the last nine, and was less than impressive at Ipswich: best mate is a fan of theirs and said his reign was dire.

Only one you mention I'd actually be at all interested in is Atkins tbh.  Proven record of gaining promotion, including out of this division; spoken highly of by players he's worked with; used youth players effectively while at Southampton.  Granted; his spells at Reading and Sheffield United were less than stellar, but of those mentioned he fits the 'experienced Championship manager' mould the best.

Honestly though; no idea who to bring in now if LJ goes.  And feel all those saying "give Pemberton the gig" are maybe looking back with rose-tinted specs - remember watching us lose away to Leeds under him and we were very poor against an awful side, so not sure he's the messiah people make him out to be.

Archived