IGNORED

SL in the dressing room/We were good for 70

REDOXO

17 minutes ago, glynriley said:

No they're not Liverpool, but like it or not, they are superior to us at the moment.

We had a game plan that stifled them (remember Chelsea winning the Champions League?)

We had the game in tha palm of our hands, the tatics were working, then LJ made a dafty sub and it all went south.

Nobody on here would give a shiny shite about Readings superior posession stats if we'd won. In fact, you'd probably have certain posters crowing about how good a tactician LJ is.

I would give a shite and it sums up how happy many of us are to accept where we are and put up with this mediocrity (at best).

Comparing Reading to Liverpool and then some tripe are out Chelsea in the Champions League is balls - this is the Championship not the Champions League and I say again that was Reading - not all of us are happy to settle for playing second fiddle to them unfortunately...

11 minutes ago, Sleepy1968 said:

It seemed an odd move, but Reid ought to have been able to do the basics correctly.

I agree, however asking the kid to play out of position when you had a perfectly viable option that is fit for purpose for the role sitting right next to him is unforgivable

3 minutes ago, NorfolkInChance said:

I would give a shite and it sums up how happy many of us are to accept where we are and put up with this mediocrity (at best).

Comparing Reading to Liverpool and then some tripe are out Chelsea in the Champions League is balls - this is the Championship not the Champions League and I say again that was Reading - not all of us are happy to settle for playing second fiddle to them unfortunately...

I've not compared Reading to Liverpool, merely the posession they enjoyed whilst losing to Burnley. The Chelsea thing was an example of an inferior* team winning against the odds, whilst sticking to a game plan.

We abandoned our plan after 70 odd minutes, and lost. None of us are happy.

* tables don't lie squire.

1 hour ago, shelts said:

Maybe SL should take his ball home.....let's see how good a club we are then 

Couldn't get much worse, frankly.

LJ is just a sideshow as far as I'm concerned - Lansdown, Ashton et al shoulder most of the blame. Sacking LJ is just kicking the can down the road, heads need to roll at the very highest level. 

4 minutes ago, glynriley said:

I've not compared Reading to Liverpool, merely the posession they enjoyed whilst losing to Burnley. The Chelsea thing was an example of an inferior* team winning against the odds, whilst sticking to a game plan.

We abandoned our plan after 70 odd minutes, and lost. None of us are happy.

* tables don't lie squire.

You're right about the tables Mucker...  if we had of won that game I would have felt embarrassed - we didn't even manage that so like a lot of others I'm annoyed..

I understand your point of view - the fact that we feel inferior to them in our Managers/supporters  eyes is shocking. We played them off the park at times at their place so why did we have to give them so much respect today?  For something that is apparently all down to fine margins it seems odd to have to chop and change formation and personnel based on the opposition every week.  Football is really quite a simple game that is being over complicated by fools with PowerPoint presentations - that's not being naive just showing a bit of passion which seems to be lacking all over this club at the moment.

If we've spent all that money in the summer and are still in awe of the mighty Reading there is no hope for us!

11 minutes ago, AzerbaijanApeman said:

LJ is just a sideshow as far as I'm concerned - Lansdown, Ashton et al shoulder most of the blame. Sacking LJ is just kicking the can down the road, heads need to roll at the very highest level. 

Who do u suggest replaces SL?

13 minutes ago, View from the Dolman said:

He was clearly highly uncomfortable and had a huge ice pack on his side when he took his seat after coming off.

Cheers. I've been told he came off injured which I was unaware of. Thought he walked off quite slowly but thought it was us time wasting! 

Being happy to accept less than a third of the possession AT HOME isn't good enough. It's a basic admission that we are nowhere near as good as Reading. It is how you would expect us to set up against a top 6 Premiership side!!! Basically we set up for a point, scored two goals due to pub team defending of the most laughable kind by Reading and then the obvious happened in the last half hour. Bryan and Brownhill were knackered from constantly chasing the ball and Reading's patience paid off as they got the inevitable win. The constant chopping and changing is doing us no favours either. You can't put a positive spin on today.....we need four players including a half decent goalkeeper.

8 minutes ago, shelts said:

Who do u suggest replaces SL?

I honestly don't have an answer to that question, but he's culpable for our current predicament IMO; when we're in an almost identical position to 12 months ago then you need to scrutinize those responsible for the hiring and firing.

Those who want LJ out can throw around names of managers they want to replace him but how many of them would realistically come to us. 

Do you think we have a reputation among managers as a good place to work?

1 hour ago, Fuber said:

Should I apply if he gets sacked? I feel like I'd be up for the task. I studied finance, know FFP, got a coaching badge and spent the past 4 years playing downs league. And I'm 22, so I'm up and coming.

Are you any good with fine margins?

3 minutes ago, AzerbaijanApeman said:

I honestly don't have an answer to that question, but he's culpable for our current predicament IMO; when we're in an almost identical position to 12 months ago then you need to scrutinize those responsible for the hiring and firing.

Those who want LJ out can throw around names of managers they want to replace him but how many of them would realistically come to us. 

Which football chairman/chief exec gets every hiring decision right? Name them.

3 minutes ago, AzerbaijanApeman said:

Good post. Good place to work yes, far too much expectation from fans about being a big club. Good stadium. Good training facilities. Funds available . Great support if not a little fickle. Could the problem be at the top.....yes. 

Could we bag a big name, no unless he was given she'd loads of cash. Who is a realistic target if LJ gets the boot?

2 hours ago, 29AR said:

Inept was having a makeshift CB in Matthews (who actually wasn't that bad!) and not having a CB - perhaps an England u19 captain CB(!) - on the bench. 

Inexcusable, incomprehensible, unintelligible, and totally disrespectful in the name of sending him on loan. He'd have been ripe to come on at 60mins. 

What are you talking about? Matthews was ******* terrible today. And Flint is the most overrated player in  City history.

Sack the fat cockney waiter the 2nd NOW!

SL is here to stay and I for one am damn glad of it.

As for some others??

27 minutes ago, AzerbaijanApeman said:

I've just checked and  we have conceded goals in the last ten minutes seven times in the last nine matches.

I put that down to bad man management and the captain and coach must take responsibility.    It's the sign of a team in deep trouble - we had it before under SC I think.

SL needs to give the whole squad a rollicking about it - the game is not over until the final whistle,   makes me so cross.

4 minutes ago, Daniro said:

I've just checked and  we have conceded goals in the last ten minutes seven times in the last nine matches.

I put that down to bad man management and the captain and coach must take responsibility.    It's the sign of a team in deep trouble - we had it before under SC I think.

SL needs to give the whole squad a rollicking about it - the game is not over until the final whistle,   makes me so cross.

Yeah strange fact that is, where did it all change? Earlier in the season we were finishing off games really strongly.

1 hour ago, stokes7 said:

I didn't think we were very good even at 2-0 I mean ffs it actually took a mark little challenge to get the team going we were far too deep from the first minute of the game and got deeper as the game went on bringing Reid on was very baffling as I know o'dowda was injured but Reid is not a wide right midfielder and does not have the work rate we were needing at that stage again Tammy was isolated all game with no support and the more the game went on the deeper and deeper we were, and once reading got the first there was only gonna be one winner just gutted never put some money on it :-p because I think everyone except Johnson could see it 

The idea was to play on the break . To hit sides on the break you need to encourage them to open up .

A problem we had , earlier in the season was that teams visiting Ashton Gate would ' Park the Bus ' and hit us on the break as we were too open .

I agree with most of the posters that the wrong substitutions caused the loss..

O’dowda was injured when brought down for the pen so IMO it would have been smarter to bring on Engvald to take the roll of Freeman and use Freeman in the O’dowda roll. Reid looked out of it and with Wilbs not wanting to run around   we were short in defence.

I think LJ is very worried and is making lots of mistakes .. hope he keeps his nerve !!

24 minutes ago, clerk said:

What are you talking about? Matthews was ******* terrible today. And Flint is the most overrated player in  City history.

Sack the fat cockney waiter the 2nd NOW!

Don't agree with that. Matthews was actually rather decent in the role, particularly when given the allowance of being out of position. Still he should never have been selected there.

Little was rather strong in RB position and should edge AM out of there for the Cardiff game. 

Flint I think is overrated by many. But that doesn't mean I think he's not up to this standard, rather I think he is a lower-half championship player. 

Frankly if you're at home with 35 mins left and resort to time wasting and negative tactics of trying to soak everything up, whilst low on confidence and the first goal goes in early, there is an inevitability in the end. 

LJ's in-game management was poor today. Upon the second goal going in we should have brought on Tomlin. Reading were deflated and him coming on doing his stuff would have wound them up. I honestly think he would have picked them off as they expanded and we could have looked at a bigger margin of victory. 

Instead we set out to shut up shop and if it goes 2-1 early enough, as it did, there really was only one outcome. 

6 minutes ago, Thatch35 said:

Well kind of agree. But being at 2-1 some sort of outlet upfront to take thw pressure off was needed. City stayed as two banks and let reading build and build the pressure. The end result was so predictable. City's goals were against the play and very lucky.

Strange home tactics at home that were working .Freeman & O'dowda were the key outlet from defence with tammy ready to pounce.. when we took them off we allowed Reading to put untold pressure on our defence which were then liite because Wilbs was sitting mid centre and not occupying anyone. When Corey Smith gestured for Wilbs to come back and help defend he flatly refused.. they scored soon after..

Archived