IGNORED

Is Tomlin on his way out?

The Major

LT does this after every game: similar comments and assumptions after Brentford and PNE. He did seem to spend a particularly long time doing it today. That may have been because others got off the pitch quicker. Could have been LT trying to remind us all that he hadn't played...! 

That said, I did hear talk of Norwich.....

By the looks of it we are bringing in basketball size players, it seems that footballers with natural talent aren't needed anymore, is this LJ's new tactical master plan. I've had enough now, forget new signings and just get a manager/coach who is capable of using the good players we already have.

He'd probably thrive in a better team. Feel many of our players aren't quite on his level and when we're struggling it seems we trade his talent for more hardworking tenacious players to keep things tight.

I understood the logic in bringing on Wilbraham but I think Tomlin as an attacking midfielder buzzing about would've given Reading more to think about. 

I saw him go around clapping, but as others have said I've seen him do it before. Today he seemed to be encouraging some of the other players to acknowledge the fans. Magnusson was with him doing the same, so if people are reading into Tomlin's actions he was saying goodbye I guess Hordour is off too!!!

3 minutes ago, fgrsimon said:

P15 W2 D1 L12

Lost 9 in 10

There isn't a manager in the country who wouldn't be in trouble after this kind of a run (well maybe the Fort William FC manager!). It's 1/3 of a season and cannot be put down to a blip or a poor run. Trouble for LJ is that he's damaged goods now with this and the similar run at Barnsley. Wherever he is in his career from here on, if he loses 2 or 3 in a row, the spectre of catastrophic runs like this will always raise its head. No manager worth his salt has a run like this even once in his career, it should be possible to go back to basics, grind out a couple of 0-0's or even 1-0's and get back on track.

When it comes to the basics of defending neither our coaches or players seems to have a clue. If you don't understand what the basics are or how to execute them there is nothing to go back to.

Tomlin CAM free role backing up the striker - no defensive duties... if your not going to play him there, then just don't play him. He does not have the defensive acumen, cannot tackle, and does not have the stamina to be attacking one moment / covering for LB/RB the next. Play him to set up/assists/hold up the ball/score - just don;t expect anything else from him. If the team were defensively stable we could play him, sadly our defence is a shambles... so here we are.  

3 minutes ago, Fiale said:

Tomlin CAM free role backing up the striker - no defensive duties... if your not going to play him there, then just don't play him. He does not have the defensive acumen, cannot tackle, and does not have the stamina to be attacking one moment / covering for LB/RB the next. Play him to set up/assists/hold up the ball/score - just don;t expect anything else from him. If the team were defensively stable we could play him, sadly our defence is a shambles... so here we are.  

Are you suggesting he shouldn't defend? Laughable, it's 2017, every player has defensive duties. Do you think Tammy shouldn't defend because he's a CF?

3 minutes ago, Fiale said:

Agree with this. Tomlin has to play centrally just behind Tammy in a 4-4-1-1 or 4-1-3-1-1. 

1 hour ago, Portland Bill said:

By the looks of it we are bringing in basketball size players, it seems that footballers with natural talent aren't needed anymore, is this LJ's new tactical master plan. I've had enough now, forget new signings and just get a manager/coach who is capable of using the good players we already have.

To be fair Bill we have been out muscled in a few games and definitely need to be more competitive physically . We have got our technical players as well so hopefully a nice balance overall. I'm gutted after watching that final 20 minutes today but keep your nerve we'll be ok.

Archived