IGNORED

Is Tomlin on his way out?

The Major

17 hours ago, hodge said:

The game wasn't right for Tomlin today, 2-0 up with 20 odd minutes left so no need for Tomlin. Our mindset changes to trying to see the game out, again no need for Tomlin. 

Absolutely correct. 

The formation LJ started the team off in had no place for Lee. He'd have had to replace Joe - our best player yesterday and one of the few midfielders not to tire in the last 20 minutes. When we were pinned back towards the end of the game, I doubt Lee would've been much help either.

Had Pack been on the bench, he'd have been the guy to send out them, in order to take off Brownhill, who looked totally shot.

This isn't the first time he has played a formation with no obvious place for Tomlin, so I think people are overthinking things here.

11 hours ago, bearded_red said:

If the rumours are true and he leaves this month then I think the first goal at Huddersfield and his behaviour afterwards will be a large part of the reason why.

Now you can criticise the manager for the suicidal decision of playing Tomlin out wide against a team that pushes their fullbacks on in the way Huddersfield do, but for the first twenty minutes of that game their right back was in acres of space every time they had the ball and Tomlin made absolutely no effort to even try and get back and offer Golbourne any protection. Then, oddly, at some point after the goal he just went and played in the middle. Initially I had assumed that him and Freeman were swapping sides, but Freeman remained out on the right whilst Tomlin just played in behind the front two. If either of Wilbraham or Tammy were meant to come out and fill in on the left than nobody told them. So either Tomlin just decided to go and play inside or we managed to fail to inform our players about a change of system. Either way, we were playing with absolutely nobody in front of Golbourne on that side.

Of course the next game was the Brentford game in which he was dropped and most of the rumours began to start..

As for Tomlin, if he put half as much effort in on Friday night as he did clapping the fans after full time today he may have actually got a game this afternoon. Forgive me for being slightly cynical about such behaviour whilst the rumours of him falling out with the manager/leaving continue to rumble on.

Interesting post and you may well be right. 

Personally I had concerns about signing Tomlin in the summer and that concern was heightened as the transfer saga got drawn out and Tomlin posted all those ridiculous tweets on a pretty much daily basis. 

Managers will always carry an arrogance that they can be the ones to get the best out of 'troubled' players such as Tomlin but I'm afraid if Eddie Howe fell out with him then for me he remained a high risk signing for us. The loan deal was ideal for him and us this time last year.

I'm afraid once you have a bad egg in the dressing room they have to be removed and if Tomlin is unhappy, ignoring instructions on the pitch then it's bad for the team, for the club and he's got to go. No one player is bigger than the club.

30 minutes ago, LEETOMLINMALORD said:

How can people say about his attitude? When things were going well at the start of the season, people wernt worried, lots were saying "worth the money just to watch him" he's hardly the worst of are problems at the minute. Best player to play down the gate imo

Afternoon Lee, when things are going well people inevitably put any worries or concerns they may have about a player on the back burner. 

Your form at the start of the season wasn't that impressive however and I've always harboured doubts about your attitude due to the reported bust ups over the years.

No matter what doubts you or others may have about the manager or other players it's time to bury the hatchet and put maximum effort in for the good of Bristol City. Players that are disruptive influences at AG don't tend to get remembered very fondly by supporters. 

2 hours ago, LEETOMLINMALORD said:

How can people say about his attitude? When things were going well at the start of the season, people wernt worried, lots were saying "worth the money just to watch him" he's hardly the worst of are problems at the minute. Best player to play down the gate imo

....What? The best player ever?!

1 hour ago, LEETOMLINMALORD said:

ATM yes! He is the best player, just annoys me how people are slagging him off and a few weeks back everyone was praising him Typical city fans haha

Ah, so you meant the best player at the moment....agree with you there Chief.

It is funny that his lack of chasing back was fine a few weeks ago because he's a maverick, talented, individual, flair player like Trundle, Jacki and JET, but now he's expected to cover every blade!

1 hour ago, archie andrews said:

not fit to lace sir david nobles football boots

Or Sir Gerald Gow, Tom Ritchie, The Cheese, Alan Walsh, Rob Newman, Tinman, Scotty M, Glyn Riley, Gary Shelton, Bobby Taylor etc etc.

But as @Neo said above, it depends on the age of the poster. Just thought it was strange that someone could already label LT as our best player ever, but it turns out they meant at the moment!

21 hours ago, BarneyCity said:

I went to the Huddersfield game away, and it confirmed my opinion of him - as a goal was conceded, the man he should have been challenging was given free space and Tomlin was stationary, not involved at all. Its been mentioned that he is overweight, which appears to be the case. He seems to believe all this work stuff is beneath him. Time and again he attempts to spray long passes or deft touches, very few come off. He lacks Jackie's finesse and skill, yet works even less for the team. I'm surprised that having had him on loan, anyone sanctioned spending big money on him. Total lightweight, who's career will drift by and no one will remember him.

well i wont remember lee johnson will you

1 hour ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Ah, so you meant the best player at the moment....agree with you there Chief.

It is funny that his lack of chasing back was fine a few weeks ago because he's a maverick, talented, individual, flair player like Trundle, Jacki and JET, but now he's expected to cover every blade!

Completely agree, everyone knew what we were signing after having him on loan last season and he basically kept us up, this season, he's shown moments of class, but he's been played out of position for me? 

As as you said, nobody moaned when we wernt loosing

Archived