IGNORED

Hegeler class - MOTM

Fiale

2 hours ago, steviestevieneville said:

Hopefully he will play him in centre midfield, he got more to his game than being stuck back there

What a debate after one game.  So elegant in everything he did.

I really want to see him in midfield, but not DM....I think he has so much more in his locker....look at the impact he made when he strode forward, especially second half.  More than just an efficient German!

I really need to spend some time thinking about formations, but put anyone alongside him in there and they'll benefit.  I don't want the stagnation of two DMs who can't venture forward.  GON didn't stay back, he mixed it when alongside Pack or Reid, Bobby taking responsibility to sit when he needed to, and vice-versa.  Players need to be intelligent enough to realise when they need to stay home.  I'm getting carried away but you could play a conventional two in midfield with him in there.

Big test next week v Cardiff where he'll get less time on the ball I accept.

3 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I really want to see him in midfield, but not DM....I think he has so much more in his locker....look at the impact he made when he strode forward, especially second half.  More than just an efficient German!

I really need to spend some time thinking about formations, but put anyone alongside him in there and they'll benefit.  I don't want the stagnation of two DMs who can't venture forward.  GON didn't stay back, he mixed it when alongside Pack or Reid, Bobby taking responsibility to sit when he needed to, and vice-versa.  Players need to be intelligent enough to realise when they need to stay home.  I'm getting carried away but you could play a conventional two in midfield with him in there.

Think the Cardiff game will be good for him this early in his City career. If we do three at back with Wright, Flint and Maggers we have two left footers, LJ might see Hegeler as the balance 

8 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Next week against cardiff they will non stop harry typical warnock. Into the fire etc.

14 minutes ago, shelts said:

Think the Cardiff game will be good for him this early in his City career. If we do three at back with Wright, Flint and Maggers we have two left footers, LJ might see Hegeler as the balance 

Think Wright is right footed....from what I saw today and what PNE posters have said.

Football Manager might have me picking:

O'Donnell

Wright, Flint, Magnússon 

Freeman, Hegeler, Brownhill, O'Dowda

Tomlin

Abraham, Djuric

but on grass I don't think it'd work.

5 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Think Wright is right footed....from what I saw today and what PNE posters have said.

O'Donnell

Wright, Flint, Magnússon 

Tomlin

Abraham, Djuric

Don't they play on grass in Football Manager?

9 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

O'Donnell

Wright, Flint, Magnússon 

Tomlin

Abraham, Djuric

Well I stand corrected. Maggers left, Flint middle, Wright on the right of our back fee 

4 hours ago, bearded_red said:

Actually wanted to move the ball quickly and take as few touches as possible, stuck out like a sore thumb compared the rest of the ponderous rubbish.

Hope he plays in midfield sooner rather than later. Looked a class apart.

Move the ball quickly? I must say I didn't see that. We were slow and laboured when in possession. That's no slant on Jens at all. Whilst it wasn't moved quickly by him, he was laid back when on the ball. Very cool and composed. Cool as a cucumber you May Day. Real chilled out footballer. The one break in the first half after a great touch was lovely to see. Equally in the second half after losing the ball, he recovered it superbly showing a great turn of pace. Quite a quick chap. 

He he played well. As did Little. 

I think OTIB does appear to go overboard when stating a fantastic debut yet it was a more than steady one let's say. 

I would like to see him more in the middle of midfield though. Purely cos of that one run and recovery. Very psotionally aware. 

3 minutes ago, Port Pete said:

Move the ball quickly? I must say I didn't see that. We were slow and laboured when in possession.

Couldn't agree more, in fact I described the rest of them as 'ponderous rubbish'. Completely pedestrian play. I just thought Hegeler was the exception to the rule and unlike every other one of our players he tried to move it quickly and take as few touches as possible.

6 hours ago, EnclosureSurge said:

Class. Absolute class. I could tell that from the way he ran out. A proper footballer with real class.

Or klass, maybe. But definitely classy. Deserved each applause for every touch/pass/header he executed. He'll be alright!

I bet he's called Mylene in future additions of the BH!

Hope he's as good against Championship opppnents, especially Colin's mob.

This guy needs to play defensive midfield. Awesome debut today playing in defence but my god was he confident and very comfortable with the ball at his feet and bringing it out on the deck...as you'd expect from a German footballer.

I think if he plays in midfield we'll certainly get the best out of Tomlin ie he won't have to keep dropping deep through frustration to get the ball as Hegeler will be supplying him with it. They done some lovely link up play today, looking forward to seeing more of that! 

9 hours ago, Fiale said:

He looked the best player on the pitch today. His heading, ball at feet, passing and willingness to run forward into space was great to see. Just wish he was in the CM role, maybe he could teach Korey and Pack a little about dictate playing and getting forward from a CM / DM position.

Thought pack played well for 20 mins. Was calm on the ball and pushed on and passed forward, then he stopped doing that for some reason. 

The problem was higher up the field. They were all passing to each other but to no effect. Tomlin to little to brownhill back to Tomlin back to little back to Tomlin back to brownhill etc etc etc. Little tries to run through and wins a corner which comes to nothing.  Tomlin cuts inside and tries to pass through 3 defenders or passes to Bryan who passes to the opposition. 

11 hours ago, Fiale said:

To be honest Tommy it was embarrassing how much he stood out. Makes you really wonder about the quality of some our players, and he was signed for 300k

Also explains why Huddersfield have done so well.

Bloke with expert knowledge of German football signs loads of quality for prices that we used to pay here back in the 90s.

3 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Also explains why Huddersfield have done so well.

Bloke with expert knowledge of German football signs loads of quality for prices that we used to pay here back in the 90s.

It is a bit of a mystery as to why more German players haven't made it over to all levels of English football when you consider the style of play is similar and they can probably earn more over here.

28 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

It is a bit of a mystery as to why more German players haven't made it over to all levels of English football when you consider the style of play is similar and they can probably earn more over here.

Plus as Hegeler has already demonstrated, flawless English.

5 minutes ago, Leveller said:

Hegeler certainly looked classy and elegant. However he wasn't the tough midfield stopper I was expecting - more like a better Pack than a Gow or Bryan Robson type, which is more what we need.

I loved Gerry at the gate, but the fact is with how refs interpret the game these days he'd be suspended more often than he was playing.

37 minutes ago, cynic said:

And that is exactly what we have been missing.

Tomlin has been wasted this season, coming too deep to collect the ball and leaving Abraham isolated and gaps behind him. He needs to strut his stuff further up field where he can do a lot of damage. 

I just hope that Magnusson is back so Hegeler can be released to play midfield.

Bit of a damp sqib yesterday by all accounts, but with three new players in the team and just one days training behind them, it was asking a lot to turn it on against a team unbeaten in their last 10 games imo.

These three signings should see us moving back up the table...

Agreed with that :fingerscrossed:

He seems like a freak athlete. He's tall, he's quick, he's strong, he can attack and defend! Not many players have all those traits! 

ok it's only 1 game against a league one opponent, but if he carries on putting shifts on like that, we have a hidden gem on our hands! :clapping:

5 hours ago, JasonM88 said:

Irrelevant 

I don't think so, but perhaps we should put each other on ignore if you are going to always come back with sarcastic or aggressive replies?

To me it isn't "irrelevant", which is why when a side plays a back three, the left sided player is invariably a left footer, as Derrick Williams was when Cotterill did so.

In a back four it is far more common for the left sided player of the two to be right footed. This is for two different reasons, firstly there are far more right footed centre halves than there are left footed ones.

Plus in a four you would then usually have a natural left footer playing outside you, Bailey Wright would have had Greg Cunningham there, for instance, so the amount of times you have to use your left foot is automatically reduced.

Archived