IGNORED

Hegeler class - MOTM

Fiale

3 hours ago, cynic said:

And that is exactly what we have been missing.

Tomlin has been wasted this season, coming too deep to collect the ball and leaving Abraham isolated and gaps behind him. He needs to strut his stuff further up field where he can do a lot of damage. 

I just hope that Magnusson is back so Hegeler can be released to play midfield.

Bit of a damp sqib yesterday by all accounts, but with three new players in the team and just one days training behind them, it was asking a lot to turn it on against a team unbeaten in their last 10 games imo.

These three signings should see us moving back up the table...

I've assumed that this coming back for the ball is all of Tomlin's doing - as you say it's a waste and compromises our attacking options. If he can't be trusted to sit in the hole - or at least pick the ball up ahead of the defensive midfielders - then perhaps it's time for a change in the philosophy than Lee Tomlin must be accomodated (almost) come what may.

51 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

I don't think so, but perhaps we should put each other on ignore if you are going to always come back with sarcastic or aggressive replies?

To me it isn't "irrelevant", which is why when a side plays a back three, the left sided player is invariably a left footer, as Derrick Williams was when Cotterill did so.

In a back four it is far more common for the left sided player of the two to be right footed. This is for two different reasons, firstly there are far more right footed centre halves than there are left footed ones.

Plus in a four you would then usually have a natural left footer playing outside you, Bailey Wright would have had Greg Cunningham there, for instance, so the amount of times you have to use your left foot is automatically reduced.

Relevant :P

Not sure if you saw my post about centre backs in another thread.  Similar things, and yes, you are right that there are less left peggers and the bit I omitted, was that they are likely to have a natural left footer outside them.

The only exception to that I can think of was Parker, Pallister, Bruce and Irwin as a totally right footed back four.  Liverpool often played Steve Nicol at LB, but not regularly.

I;be just started to use the ignore button.  Saves a load of hassle.

4 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Relevant :P

Not sure if you saw my post about centre backs in another thread.  Similar things, and yes, you are right that there are less left peggers and the bit I omitted, was that they are likely to have a natural left footer outside them.

The only exception to that I can think of was Parker, Pallister, Bruce and Irwin as a totally right footed back four.  Liverpool often played Steve Nicol at LB, but not regularly.

I;be just started to use the ignore button.  Saves a load of hassle.

Good post, Dennis Irwin was so good (as a full back) he was pretty much two footed, wasn't he?

6 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Good post, Dennis Irwin was so good (as a full back) he was pretty much two footed, wasn't he?

Right back at Oldham, converted by Fergie (spit!). Very underrated.  I think he was so good (annoyingly for a LFC fan) that he didn't use his left much.  No-one ever got the better of him.

6 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

It is a bit of a mystery as to why more German players haven't made it over to all levels of English football when you consider the style of play is similar and they can probably earn more over here.

Don't want to lose their technical skills in a kick and rush frenzy would be my bet.

6 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

It is a bit of a mystery as to why more German players haven't made it over to all levels of English football when you consider the style of play is similar and they can probably earn more over here.

I think they don't like to leave the motherland too much.

Archived