IGNORED

Tomlin centre forward

where's the joy

stop playing him in midfield, play him up front.

you want your most skilful player where he can hurt the opposition so play him at the tip of the attack with tammy to the right and Duric to the left

he hasn't the puff to get up and down the pitch so leave him up top with his back to goal where he can turn a centre back and get in on goal.

he can be greedy in their penalty box and is a great striker of the ball.

flood our midfield with those who will run at the opposition with one top quality holding midfielder

10 minutes ago, where's the joy said:

stop playing him in midfield, play him up front.

you want your most skilful player where he can hurt the opposition so play him at the tip of the attack with tammy to the right and Duric to the left

he hasn't the puff to get up and down the pitch so leave him up top with his back to goal where he can turn a centre back and get in on goal.

he can be greedy in their penalty box and is a great striker of the ball.

flood our midfield with those who will run at the opposition with one top quality holding midfielder

Duric , our new 6'4 International striker playing wide left ?

Is this your new plan Lee ?

Jeeeeeeez

:blink:

Played on the left last year and produced the goods. Played on the left and behind striker a few times and hasn't produced the goods. Maybe, just maybe, Tomlin hasn't been good enough and LJ is trying his best to find a place for him to succeed. Tomlin half or there's Tammy at Wolves and didn't look bad. Problem is we've bought another striker so playing him like that won't really be an option. As for playing our two 6'4"+ strikers on the wing.....:facepalm:

4 minutes ago, Roger Red Hat said:

He's not fit fit enough for any position. Not worth a place in the team.

I disagree, but you are making others put an extra 10% in.  When results are going for us and he is playing well, all is happy - but when it's not and it looks like he's getting preference it can cause friction.  We need to play as a tighter set of 3 units.  All players gave to cover less ground if we can get up the pitch.  It's been w separate units of late, and that doesn't suit Lee.  Most pkayers struggle in tight spaces, he thrives on it.

Still a place for him for me.

I still can't decide who I'd play next week, but every time I come up with a line-up without Tomlin, it has something missing.  Be tempted to let Djuric settle in gently, maybe with a couple of sub appearances, he can start in the replay.  Would want to see Jens in midfield before thinking we could pay a front 6 in the 312 set-up.

11 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I disagree, but you are making others put an extra 10% in.  When results are going for us and he is playing well, all is happy - but when it's not and it looks like he's getting preference it can cause friction.  We need to play as a tighter set of 3 units.  All players gave to cover less ground if we can get up the pitch.  It's been w separate units of late, and that doesn't suit Lee.  Most pkayers struggle in tight spaces, he thrives on it.

Still a place for him for me.

I still can't decide who I'd play next week, but every time I come up with a line-up without Tomlin, it has something missing.  Be tempted to let Djuric settle in gently, maybe with a couple of sub appearances, he can start in the replay.  Would want to see Jens in midfield before thinking we could pay a front 6 in the 312 set-up.

What finally did it for me yesterday, was when LT wasn't able to stretch for a ball knocked into him that was slightly off target. It wasn't that he was too knackered, he just physically couldn't stretch! I could've stretched for it and I'm in my 64th year! I think he's taking the piss with his lack of fitness, he expends more time and energy trying to curry favour with the fans at the end by wandering around clapping the stands!

6 minutes ago, Roger Red Hat said:

What finally did it for me yesterday, was when LT wasn't able to stretch for a ball knocked into him that was slightly off target. It wasn't that he was too knackered, he just physically couldn't stretch! I could've stretched for it and I'm in my 64th year! I think he's taking the piss with his lack of fitness, he expends more time and energy trying to curry favour with the fans at the end by wandering around clapping the stands!

I haven't seen the Xmas away games where people have been critical of his fitness, but I do agree that yesterday he was blowing.  However I thought that most of this season he's been okay to get through a game (or most of it).  Yeah, he's not a natural athlete, and I know he's never gonna run and run, he also can't drop below his win standards or else he'll turn in  performances like Fleetwood, which overall was not good enough.

I have seen LJ quoted in the papers as saying that "Tomlin is our talisman and he is going nowhere". I have also seen people state on here that our managers preferred formation is 442.

Well, sorry LJ, but you can't have it both ways. As much as I think that Tomlin is a fantastic player to watch, he has the reverse effect on the team. We are crying out for width and wingers, but you can't have that/them with Tomlin in the side unless you play him as an out-and-out striker, which he isn't.

Perhaps if he had some support from his fellow midfielders he wouldn't need to drop so deep to collect the ball. He's the only one we have who will drive forward and look to play in an advanced role. What good is it if nobody is prepared to move into a space between our front men and the midfield. There must be 15-20 yards gap from Abraham to our nearest midfielder, it's so frustrating to watch. Countless times you are begging somebody to make a forward run into space but they just sit there so our play grinds to a halt and we end up going sideways and backwards.

Maybe somebody in the coaching team can sit up in the stands and get a proper look at the pitch to see how much space there is between midfield and forwards. Tomlin may blow hot and cold but he's not the problem, it's either a coaching problem or we have too many samey midfielders who just don't have it in their game. Tell me who else in midfield is going to score or create a goal if it's not Tomlin.

It's most peculiar that some are advocating ditching our only creative attacking midfielder, it's all very well playing 11 cautious and steady players but you'll never win anything, and we'll end up back where we started and another 20 - 30 million wasted opportunity. The coaching needs improving, stop pointing your fingers in the wrong direction.

@screech think you're being generous with the 15-20 yards.  At times on Saturday it was 30-40.  Milan and Tammy near the box, Smith and Brownhill on the halfway line.  Easy to blame Smith and Brownhill, but why aren't are centre backs telling them to get 10-15 yards further up.  Collective responsibility.  They are in their way.  I used to hate DMs (Not Dr Martens but similar!) treading on my toes.  I would tell them to go in front of their man, drag their marker back and let me worry about winning the ball in the air.

8 minutes ago, JasonM88 said:

Tell him he's a CF, then he might actually play in the number 10 role rather than the defensive midfield role.

He's not a centre forward. He's an attacking midfielder that you need to play a formation such as 352 to accomodate.

Unfortunately, we have a negative manager who's tactics ensure a retreating 532.

8 minutes ago, Superjack said:

He's not a centre forward. He's an attacking midfielder that you need to play a formation such as 352 to accomodate.

Unfortunately, we have a negative manager who's tactics ensure a retreating 532.

Don't think you've quite got it.

To a certain extent it doesn't matter what formation you play. Its eleven v eleven and if our midfield are being overrun, we must have spare players elsewhere. If the opposition have wide men unmarked, we must have spare men elsewhere. We need to utilise our strengths and stop worrying about the opposition formation. The reason we are under pressure so much is simply that we are too cautious. When we do break its only to the halfway line and on the odd occasion someone breaks down the flank, there is no one in the middle or at best, just Tammy. Tomlin likes to run at the defence but he has to drop deep to get the ball and when he turns, he has 50+ yards to run towards goal. The whole team need to play 10 yards further up the pitch whether attacking or defending. We just invite pressure by constantly back peddling and sitting deep. Tomlin may not be a centre forward but he is a forward player, not a midfielder or defender. We have them in abundance!

Archived