IGNORED

The ideal job for Cotts

Major Isewater

5 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Why wouldn't he? He still lives locally so wouldn't have to move house or uproot his kids if they're in school. If they offered him good money I reckon he'd love the opportunity to get one over on Lansdown/board by getting Rovers in the same league as us.

He's still being paid for us and, as much as most of us love him, he has an ego. Rovers wouldn't stroke that ego. 

Still think it would take a Sheff Utd/Bolton esq club to move him. A big club/ground with pedigree. Wigan would be a good bet for me if they go down. He was still living (main home) in Cheltenham until he joined us. Uprooted and sold property over the country from stints at old clubs to settle in Clifton. We were his Real Madrid - there's a reason he's spotted in Cabot most days! 

1 hour ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

I'm sure MA said the other day he interviewed LJ at SL's request.

I see that as more or less rubber stamping, so stretching it a bit to call LJ Ashton's appointment imo.

During the recruitment stage after Cotts was sacked, Ashton did an interview on RB in which he said "you'd be surprised who is interested in this job" in response to the suggestion that "big names" in football see Bristol as a backwater and are not interested in coming here. This gave the impression that some of the "big names" bandied about at the time were in the hat and being considered.

Very shortly after this - about two days - the Post reported that "SL was to oversee the recruitment of a new head coach" leaving the impression that Ashton had not been thinking along the lines SL had been thinking as far as head coach was concerned.

In May, SL was quoted in the Post: "He (LJ) is a very intelligent guy.......Keith Dawe and myself had always been in contact with him, even during the time he was at Oldham and Barnsley. He had always been on our radar as somebody we might want to bring to the football club at some time in the future.

When the opportunity arose we obviously thought of him but wondered whether it might not be a bit too soon for him. He convinced us it would not be and gave an impressive interview.

We gave Mark Ashton a brief to go and talk to Lee Johnson and he came back full of enthusiasm. The rest as they say is history."

So, that gut instinct of SL and KD - it might not be a bit too soon for him - was over-ruled by an "impressive interview." No surprise that MA rubber stamped LJ. He would not want to go against the wishes of his employers. Not at this point having just returned here. Perhaps he will the next time we are recruiting in this position.

3 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Nice of you to confidently predict that an ex City player and son of a true City legend will fail...

Perhaps you're not aware of Spud's dislike of SC, to put it mildly! And his great affection for FGR. 

It was a joke, a leg pull, but there you go! :facepalm:

2 hours ago, Carey 6 said:

I'd be gutted if he took over there. Love the bloke and reckon he'd get them promoted. 

Say it quietly, but I don't really think they are in need of a manager right now. More looking forward to ol' Dopey being lured away by a proper club tbh. As much as I dislike them, two promotions and now knocking on the play-offs in L1  isn't at all bad. Still optimistic that this is the best they could hope for, but in all honesty not sure. As for Steve Cotterill, he'll go out and find the ideal job when we stop paying him  I guess

13 hours ago, Jack Dawe said:

During the recruitment stage after Cotts was sacked, Ashton did an interview on RB in which he said "you'd be surprised who is interested in this job" in response to the suggestion that "big names" in football see Bristol as a backwater and are not interested in coming here. This gave the impression that some of the "big names" bandied about at the time were in the hat and being considered.

Very shortly after this - about two days - the Post reported that "SL was to oversee the recruitment of a new head coach" leaving the impression that Ashton had not been thinking along the lines SL had been thinking as far as head coach was concerned.

In May, SL was quoted in the Post: "He (LJ) is a very intelligent guy.......Keith Dawe and myself had always been in contact with him, even during the time he was at Oldham and Barnsley. He had always been on our radar as somebody we might want to bring to the football club at some time in the future.

When the opportunity arose we obviously thought of him but wondered whether it might not be a bit too soon for him. He convinced us it would not be and gave an impressive interview.

We gave Mark Ashton a brief to go and talk to Lee Johnson and he came back full of enthusiasm. The rest as they say is history."

So, that gut instinct of SL and KD - it might not be a bit too soon for him - was over-ruled by an "impressive interview." No surprise that MA rubber stamped LJ. He would not want to go against the wishes of his employers. Not at this point having just returned here. Perhaps he will the next time we are recruiting in this position.

Let's be under no illusions here, no matter how important we (and even MA!) may think MA's role at the club is, the most important relationship at BCFC is the one between the owner SL and the manager/head coach. It must therefore still be the case that what SL says go, he owns the club after all. I cannot imagine any scenario in which MA would 'go against the wishes of his employers' in regard to the recruitment of a manager. He may express a different viewpoint (if he's brave!) but he would be overruled in any event by SL, if he had a strong feeling on who he wanted to be the next manager of the football club.

20 hours ago, Fordy62 said:

How about the manager of a little known club called Bristol City? I know it's not possible due to broken relationships but I assure you he'd be doing better now than the current incumbent with the current squad. 

(Tin hat)

You mean Engvall wouldn't even get to sit on the unfilled bench???

2 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Let's be under no illusions here, no matter how important we (and even MA!) may think MA's role at the club is, the most important relationship at BCFC is the one between the owner SL and the manager/head coach. It must therefore still be the case that what SL says go, he owns the club after all. I cannot imagine any scenario in which MA would 'go against the wishes of his employers' in regard to the recruitment of a manager. He may express a different viewpoint (if he's brave!) but he would be overruled in any event by SL, if he had a strong feeling on who he wanted to be the next manager of the football club.

I'm not so sure , SL has had his fingers burned more than once and that is why he brought in MA in the first place .

What would be the point of this if he does n't then take advice from the guy ? 

On 09/01/2017 at 18:01, Nogbad the Bad said:

I'm sure MA said the other day he interviewed LJ at SL's request.

I see that as more or less rubber stamping, so stretching it a bit to call LJ Ashton's appointment imo.

No no no Nogbad

Did you not listen at the time ?

In the search for a new Head Coach the Club followed a diligent and thorough process to identify the best person for the job .... it just happened Lee came out top

if I recall correctly MA stated he made his recommendation to the board (Lj) and they followed it and appointed him

:thumbsup:

Archived