IGNORED

I just don't understand....

Maesknoll Red

• Admin

...... the agenda.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/38554384

Radio 5L has been full of it again today, why?  Whatever anyone's preference is, why do I or anyone else need to be told in a formal manner.  Will those of an AC/DC persuasion need a day to come out, the bondage feteishes, those who dress up like babies, prostitute users, the celibate?  Where does it end.

4 minutes ago, Barrs Court Red said:

The only people that seem to care are the media.

Exactly.  Who gives a toss about a players sexual preference/religion/politics/colour etc.  Its all about playing ability - nothing more, nothing less.  And that is how it should be.

It's a we'll know factor that gay pro footballers stay closeted. They are wary of coming out public ally for fear of fans chanting homophobically. There's  also worry about the effect that 'coming out' would have their team mates. Would they be ridiculed and/or ostracised? 

Its obvious why gay footballers are so reluctant to admit their sexuality.

What Carlisle is saying I think is that if several gay players came out en masses that would minimise the impact.

Like the majority of football fans it's make zero difference to me who players have sex with. Sadly there are those with homophobic attitudes as well.

2 hours ago, Maesknoll Red said:

...... the agenda.

Radio 5L has been full of it again today, why?  Whatever anyone's preference is, why do I or anyone else need to be told in a formal manner.  Will those of an AC/DC persuasion need a day to come out, the bondage feteishes, those who dress up like babies, prostitute users, the celibate?  Where does it end.

Do you not feel that there is a difference between being gay and either 'those who dress up like babies' or 'prostitute users'?!  This is not about announcing anythng 'in a formal manner' but about being able to be honest about your own intrinsic identity.  If you are gay, then surely it is perfectly reasonable to want to be identified as such.  Being gay isn't all about 'what you do in the bedroom' you know.

2 hours ago, Maesknoll Red said:

...... the agenda.

Can't believe he didn't mention dog w**ker offers . Disgrace 

• Admin
1 hour ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Do you not feel that there is a difference between being gay and either 'those who dress up like babies' or 'prostitute users'?!  This is not about announcing anythng 'in a formal manner' but about being able to be honest about your own intrinsic identity.  If you are gay, then surely it is perfectly reasonable to want to be identified as such.  Being gay isn't all about 'what you do in the bedroom' you know.

No idea about being gay, the comments were tongue in cheek, but I don't understand the pressure being applied to get this into the media, I really couldn't care less what people do as long as it doesn't affect my life in a detrimental way, I don't understand the media fascination - or maybe I do, because how much material will a few gay footballers give them, they can't wait to get the microphones switched on and the presses rolling - rest assured I won't be wasting my time reading about it.  I do listen to the radio in preference to the TV though and R5L has certainly jumped on the bandwagon again today and been heavily reporting the latest scheme for a mass coming out, liberal media luvvies would be a stereotype that springs to mind.

7 hours ago, Maesknoll Red said:

No idea about being gay, the comments were tongue in cheek, but I don't understand the pressure being applied to get this into the media, I really couldn't care less what people do as long as it doesn't affect my life in a detrimental way, I don't understand the media fascination - or maybe I do, because how much material will a few gay footballers give them, they can't wait to get the microphones switched on and the presses rolling - rest assured I won't be wasting my time reading about it.  I do listen to the radio in preference to the TV though and R5L has certainly jumped on the bandwagon again today and been heavily reporting the latest scheme for a mass coming out, liberal media luvvies would be a stereotype that springs to mind.

As @RedDave alludes to, it is surely an issue of public interest that there are likely hundreds of professional footballers - human beings - who are gay but won't come out for fear of negative public reaction?

That's not an OK situation and should be reported as such, particularly if someone like Greg Clarke talks openly about it.

I totally get that the media are well guilty of hype and conjecture, but I'm not convinced this falls into that category personally.

I, like you, couldn't care less about a player's sexuality - but I do care that a player feels comfortable sharing it publicly if they wished to. It's also bloody frightening that, according to a survey, 8% of fans would stop watching their team if it contained gay players.

I'd say people are a far bigger problem than the media on this one. Just my opinions though!

I don't know what the fascination is either by the media but I guess footballers are one of the last professions,that are worshiped by some, to be open about their sexuality. We had it with actors, musicians, polititions, other sports etc but the media seem to think we want/need to know about football players.

I guess they think there will be huge interest, sell lots of media here and around the world if they get a big enough 'name'. Maybe they think for every person who says 'uggh, I'm never watching again' there will be others who are struggling to tell people of their sexuality and will be more comfortable if someone with the image of a footballer does.

There are some countries in the world as we know where same sex relationships aren't accepted. What would happen if two team mates in a relationship celebrate a goal with a full on snog, there would probably be death threats or worse. 

21 minutes ago, Mike Hunt-Hertz said:

It's not right, but I think homosexuality will never be fully accepted.

I very much hope you are wrong.  And I hope gay footballers come out soon.  Only when the brave first few come out to test the reaction will we (a) know the level of hatred towards gays in football, and (b) work to improve it if the reaction is as negative as I think it will be.  

2 hours ago, Dollymarie said:

The bit I don't get is that nobody asks footballers to come out and let everybody know they're heterosexual so why does them being gay need to be announced either?

I suppose it's more a matter of people feeling they can be honest about their lifestyle and perhaps their partner than a need to announce things.

As others have said, this is only an issue in football because it almost uniquely has no stars who feel able to live an openly gay life. Here's a sport where you can still hear homophobic chanting,  where you've had homophobic behaviour on the pitch from idiots like Robbie Fowler, and of course you had the sad story of Justin Fashanu and his unenlightened treatment by his manager (and his brother!)

It's a total non-issue for most fans, but it will still take a high degree of bravery for a player to identify openly as gay. When that day comes, the issue will go away.

3 hours ago, Mike Hunt-Hertz said:

It's not right, but I think homosexuality will never be fully accepted.

Non-acceptance is one thing, hostility is another. It's because homophobia exists and is still expressed openly - and in an offensive and/or intimidating manner - by a small minority, that there is an issue at all. And where there is an issue, journalists, broadcasters and others will pay attention to it. It's when the media stop drawing attention to injustice and prejudice we should get worried about the kind of world we're living in. In the meantime, it's good to see the majority on this thread expressing liberal and tolerant views. It can only help to voice our support for a large minority who are discriminated against and the more we do that, the nearer we get to a situation where acceptance can become the norm.   

To be honest, if there was any adverse chanting from the terraces, it would say more about the people chanting than an individuals sexual preference. I would hope that the majority would not accept such behavior and make the perpetrators feel so uncomfortable that it would stop relatively quickly. 

17 hours ago, MigratedRobin said:

Christ! It's 2017. If players can't come out now then when exactly are they going to come out?

Why don't all the heterosexual players ' come out ' then, those that are left won't have to .

Seriously , we are in 2017 who gives a frock who is gay, straight or bi ?

Tammy could play in a gold lamé jump suit wearing a tiara and an ostrich feather sticking out of his arse and we'd still love him for his goals and effort .

( might make him a bit of a target for the opposition fans but it would toughen him up ) 

Archived