IGNORED

Keith Millen...

Slippin cider

I always felt a bit sorry for Millen.  Stepped in at short notice after Coppell left (and indeed after GJ left) and did a very decent job.  In the summer of 2011, it was clear from what he said in interviews that he had really good ideas for what needed to be done but he just wasn't able to put them into practice.

Not the right manager in hindsight but definitely a decent man. 

NB. realised what I've said above is a pretty valid description of McInnes too.  SL might not always appoint the best managers but we do seem to have relatively few ****holes associated with the club...

4 minutes ago, Fuber said:

People slate Millen as a manager but he bought a short period of stability after the show that was Copout, was never heavily backed in the transfer market and our squad was truly tragic.

I would hope we at least offer him a role short term as a coach while he searches for another job. Say want you want about Keith, but under Johnson we managed more than a few 1-0 wins.

rightly so, he wasn't a good manager, good bloke and coach but not a manager which is prob why he's only ever been caretaker after leaving us,

15 hours ago, The Gasbuster said:

He did indeed, the ******* **** !

(how the hell did Lenin get a mention in a thread about Keith Millen ?!)

Only on OTIB !

Next you know someone will be mentioning Adolf Hit... ah, whoops.

Back to Millen, good coaches don't always make good managers, and sometimes they do realise this and settle for just being a coach. Take Brian Kidd for instance, a big part of the Man Utd revival under Fergie. Took the Blackburn job, fell flat on his face and has since gone back to coaching. 

With his Premier League experience since, it wouldn't be a bad move to bring Millen in, so long as there was a position available. Mind you I'd also want assurances that a Tinnion/Millen management team would never happen again!!!

I do think QPR is a more likely move though, especially with Skeletor being in charge, at least for now anyway.

9 hours ago, LondonBristolian said:

NB. realised what I've said above is a pretty valid description of McInnes too.  SL might not always appoint the best managers but we do seem to have relatively few ****holes associated with the club...

It's funny how football works - probably the biggest ****hole that's been associated with the club under Steve Lansdown won us our first league title in 60 years!

14 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

I'm sure I uttered those words to myself every time I lurched out of Papillon's on a Friday night/Saturday morning...

that really made me laugh!

Papillons! I remember my friend crying on my shoulder when Careless Whisper was playing - electric blue mascara everywhere!

1 hour ago, One Team said:

Since the day he was appointed (which was a stupid decision post Coppell) I've never understood the Millen love in.

Not sure it's a love in mate more recognition of loyalty to our club as player, coach and manager. Always came across to me as a genuine bloke who wanted the best for the club and put that above what might have been in it for him. 

3 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

because he is a good coach

I find it really strange how people have come to the conclusion he is a bad coach just because it didnt work out well for him here.

Manager and coach are two very different roles nowadays and as others have said he wasnt backed and left with the mess coppell made.

Archived