IGNORED

Their numbers' up.....

glastonred

I'm a bit puzzled by the numbers given to new players. I can see when there are gaps in a sequence that newbies would fill in the numbers, but I don't quite get why Bailey Wright has been given the number 42,when surely it should have been 32. Why the jump? Anyone in the know?

2 hours ago, glastonred said:

I'm a bit puzzled by the numbers given to new players. I can see when there are gaps in a sequence that newbies would fill in the numbers, but I don't quite get why Bailey Wright has been given the number 42,when surely it should have been 32. Why the jump? Anyone in the know?

I guess that as he wore 6 this season (and possibly 24 in a previous one) he has gone for a number that adds up to six?

21 hours ago, Taz said:

4+2 = 6 - The standard number for a centre back.

Recall Ruddock going to Liverpool for ~ gbp2.5 million, getting squad number 25 and sticking a piece of white tape between the 2 numbers.

Also remember an Inter player (maybe Zamorano) getting 18 and putting a + sign between the 2.

Does it matter? I quite like seeing an odd looking number nowadays, or Bryan wearing 3 and popping up left wing / centre midfield

As for Wright, I used the same 4+2=6 theory that @Taz used, pretty sure that's what he wore at Preston

Hegelar took 31 after wearing 13 before, presumably as it's just flipped around and 13 has already gone

I couldn't give a **** what number anyone wears, although I did see someone in the Italian Cup last night, an attacking midfielder, no less, wearing #1. That is just wrong. And whilst I'm here, I really don't like centre backs wearing #4, sorry Flinty. 

On reflection, maybe I do give a **** what number someone wears!

2 hours ago, Woodsy said:

Does it matter? I quite like seeing an odd looking number nowadays, or Bryan wearing 3 and popping up left wing / centre midfield

As for Wright, I used the same 4+2=6 theory that @Taz used, pretty sure that's what he wore at Preston

Hegelar took 31 after wearing 13 before, presumably as it's just flipped around and 13 has already gone

I couldn't give a **** what number anyone wears, although I did see someone in the Italian Cup last night, an attacking midfielder, no less, wearing #1. That is just wrong. And whilst I'm here, I really don't like centre backs wearing #4, sorry Flinty. 

As wee little kiddie(not Scottish) I wore 2 ,3 and 4 may have worn 5 (but not 100%sure) 

2 hours ago, Woodsy said:

Ossie Ardiles- number 1 for Argentina in 1978 WC....team numbers were done in alphabetical order.

I seem to remember during our spell in this league in the early 90's, an away team using squad numbers... possibly Charlton? I was baffled at the time by the fact an outfield player was wearing number 1. I think there was a 0 in there too although that could be a different more recent time.

39 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

I thought Ardiles wore number 2? And Alonso had number 1?

Could be wrong...

You're probably right, I was only 8.  I wonder what number Mario Kempes would've been if they'd used the second surname of his double barrelled surname Mario Kempes-Goal? :facepalm:

3 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Maradona wasn't in the 1978 Argentina world cup squad, but I think you're correct about him refusing to do the alphabetical thing in subsequent tournaments...

Bang on, it was 82 that Maradona refused

3 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

I thought Ardiles wore number 2? And Alonso had number 1?

Could be wrong...

Bang on (again!), Ardiles wore 1 in 82

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

You're probably right, I was only 8.  I wonder what number Mario Kempes would've been if they'd used the second surname of his double barrelled surname Mario Kempes-Goal? :facepalm:

I was only 5 in 1978. You're obviously a lot older than me Dave :fear:

Archived