IGNORED

Lansdown

Red Army 75

Just to counter the other topic brought up about our owner which I respect. We are having a really shit time . But for people to question SL after what he's done for this club is unbelievable. I agree he makes mistakes as we all do . But take his backing away we're ****** . You don't know what u got until its gone .

It's all about what happens on the pitch as far as I'm concerned in which case I can't see a massive difference between us and crap like the blue half, forget the stadium and the other crap it's about what happens on the pitch and that ain't good enough regardless of his millions. Lots of clubs with less generous owners are doing far better...  it's about results ffs not having a nice stadium..

We would probably be 3rd tier without him and looks like we willbe 3rd tier with him.

He needs to appoint a winner as Manager/Coach to match his ambitions not a nobody....

I have a very high regard for SL and massively appreciate everything he has done for BCFC. I also like that he is a quiet and almost invisible Chairman, who prefers to leave footballing matters to those employed to manage footballing matters. Although given our recent form and results it is reasonable to question if the current manager has the necessary skills and experience.

Please can we remember that SL is also a passionate and loyal supporter and human, he wants what every one of us wants - success for Bristol City.

The Club also want a manager prepared to follow and implement the agreed long-term strategy I doubt if any of the so called 'proven managers at this level' that usually get suggested would sign up to this. 

Therefore, as disappointed as I am with the current situation I think LJ will continue as our manager and be given time to turn things around. 

2 minutes ago, Jerseybean said:

I have a very high regard for SL and massively appreciate everything he has done for BCFC. I also like that he is a quiet and almost invisible Chairman, who prefers to leave footballing matters to those employed to manage footballing matters. Although given our recent form and results it is reasonable to question if the current manager has the necessary skills and experience.

Please can we remember that SL is also a passionate and loyal supporter and human, he wants what every one of us wants - success for Bristol City.

The Club also want a manager prepared to follow and implement the agreed long-term strategy I doubt if any of the so called 'proven managers at this level' that usually get suggested would sign up to this. 

Therefore, as disappointed as I am with the current situation I think LJ will continue as our manager and be given time to turn things around. 

Evening,Steve.....

4 minutes ago, Jerseybean said:

I also have high regard for SL...and Mrs SL for that matter. For self-made billionaires they seem very decent and down to earth people...not that I've met many other self-made billionaires!

However, I think your analysis has a flaw...SL isn't, as he's often presented, a passionate, loyal supporter who wants the best in the same way that the rest of us are...he owns the place...And when you say he's quiet and almost invisible and let's the professionals get on with it I slightly shiver...he's the man who appoints and employs the professionals, he's not a spectator, he's running the show! Worse still, the "long-term" strategy doesn't appear to be much more than making ends meet, growing our own, buying when players are on the up....more or less everything that every club in the country would want to do...I don't think amounts to a hill of beans, it's truisms presented as something more sophisticated. 

I don't doubt that he wants success, but on the basis of the recent past I doubt his skill in choosing managers with the experience to last the course...hence the repeated failure to give them the time to turn things around...it's usually been beyond them.

14 minutes ago, Red Exile said:

I also have high regard for SL...and Mrs SL for that matter. For self-made billionaires they seem very decent and down to earth people...not that I've met many other self-made billionaires!

However, I think your analysis has a flaw...SL isn't, as he's often presented, a passionate, loyal supporter who wants the best in the same way that the rest of us are...he owns the place...And when you say he's quiet and almost invisible and let's the professionals get on with it I slightly shiver...he's the man who appoints and employs the professionals, he's not a spectator, he's running the show! Worse still, the "long-term" strategy doesn't appear to be much more than making ends meet, growing our own, buying when players are on the up....more or less everything that every club in the country would want to do...I don't think amounts to a hill of beans, it's truisms presented as something more sophisticated. 

I don't doubt that he wants success, but on the basis of the recent past I doubt his skill in choosing managers with the experience to last the course...hence the repeated failure to give them the time to turn things around...it's usually been beyond them.

Even West Country billionaires are naive.

42 minutes ago, Red Army 75 said:

Just to counter the other topic brought up about our owner which I respect. We are having a really shit time . But for people to question SL after what he's done for this club is unbelievable. I agree he makes mistakes as we all do . But take his backing away we're ****** . You don't know what u got until its gone .

Oh how true

What is this CONTINUAL love in? He's spunked millions on average players and apart from Cotts bang average managers time and time again! Spent millions and literally gone nowhere! 

Little Lee is clearly a yes man, that he can control Let's see some real ambition and bring in a decent top manager 

34 minutes ago, Jerseybean said:

:facepalm:

22 minutes ago, Red Exile said:

II don't doubt that he wants success, but on the basis of the recent past I doubt his skill in choosing managers with the experience to last the course...hence the repeated failure to give them the time to turn things around...it's usually been beyond them.

With all due respect, very, very few managers do and it's incredibly rare for someone to leave a job for another - like LJ did. Hipfiring i would wager 80+% of managers get fired before snapped up by another club. 

4 minutes ago, Alan Dicks' Barmy Army said:

What is this CONTINUAL love in? He's spunked millions on average players and apart from Cotts bang average managers time and time again! Spent millions and literally gone nowhere! 

Little Lee is clearly a yes man, that he can control Let's see some real ambition and bring in a decent top manager 

This has nothing to do with the manager. But if it was shame you're not 40 years younger 

49 minutes ago, Red Army 75 said:

nobody is saying steve lansdown is not appreciated by the fans we are all aware what he has done for the club but you have to admit manager wise he has picked some stinkers, he is a much better businessman than a spotter of managerial talent

5 minutes ago, 29AR said:

With all due respect, very, very few managers do and it's incredibly rare for someone to leave a job for another - like LJ did. Hipfiring i would wager 80+% of managers get fired before snapped up by another club. 

Oh, I agree...I don't think it's easy, but with the exception of appointing Cotterill to get us out of League One, and taking a punt on GJ as a winner who would do the same, SL has a pretty dismal record of choosing unproven, or flaky, leaders to deliver his strategic objectives. I'd have thought, given the sums involved, the appointment of a proven leader would have been a must. But I'm not saying that's easy!

19 minutes ago, Alan Dicks' Barmy Army said:

I'll tell you what then. Let's ask Scott Davidson and Co to come back them. With all his billions. Because that sort of chairman really worked didn't it....Unbelievable. 

SL cannot be doubted for his passion or commitment. BUT those he has running the club have not got a clue. We have more financial muscle than most teams but his return on his investment has been poor... His only successful appointments were Gary J and Cotts. The similarity....Both experienced and had won things. LJ and the rest are just bang average... Coppell saw the jokers behind the scenes and ran....  It is so depressing....and hearing the weasel words from Ashton and Lee make it worse....

1 hour ago, Red Army 75 said:

Being pedantic - With your defence / hailing of SL (which is a fair point)

Wouldnt it have been a bit more polite to have put Mr or Steve in front in the title ?

LJ had a terrible habit of referring to his players in post match interviews by surname only - bit disrespectful IMHO

Reminds me of teachers talking to pupils (Well they used to , probably call the pupils 'Sir' now !!!! )

5 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Being pedantic - With your defence / hailing of SL (which is a fair point)

Wouldnt it have been a bit more polite to have put Mr or Steve in front in the title ?

LJ had a terrible habit of referring to his players in post match interviews by surname only - bit disrespectful IMHO

Reminds me of teachers talking to pupils (Well they used to , probably call the pupils 'Sir' now !!!! )

Sorry about that wasn't intended. I'm not very educated just being a bit thick 

Red army 75.

Why should Mr Lansdown's running of BCFC not be questioned? He runs the show.

Take away Steve Lansdown BCFC has no ground,  large loans to be repaid (to Mr Lansdown)  ...  Are you suggesting Mr Lansdown could walk away leaving the club with massive debt and no major assets?

You've definitely won the day there! Can't and won't slag off SL. He's got nothing but the clubs best interest at heart.

I dont disagree, but just have the balls to admit that if we go down and play rovers then the last 16 years have been nothing but a footballing failure.

I have no doubts SL has the right intentions, loves the club and quite frankly we need his backing. I wouldn't want any other owner. But we repeat the same mistakes every year - the correlation is no coincidence.

Since GJ went and he appointed Coppell, he's seemed prepared to only take risks on unproven managers or SC (who was his friend at one point!). If the club is as ambitious as he claims, we should have made more proven appointments in that time period, but since the Coppell disaster we've had a lot of unexperienced managers struggling to cope with the pressure at this level when things got tough - or SC, an experienced head, who struggled when the board let him down in that summer.

I want LJ to do well and I still think selling Kodjia without a replacement was an absolute disaster and is the reason we are in the state we're in now but I'm running out of excuses for him - the squad should still be better than 13 losses in 17 games. However, I just know we will repeat the cycle again, appoint a new manager and be in a similar position this time next year.

I honestly don't know what the best course of action is.

Archived