IGNORED

Wetherspoons

phantom

2 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

As you say, they simply wouldn't apply this to women/gays/blacks/Asians/gingers/fat people/disabled people, so how is it acceptable, let alone legal, to exclude people in such disgracefully general terms based on a pastime interest that they might have..?!

I of course don't agree with what that Wetherspoons did but being a football supporter (a pastime interest as you said) is not even slightly equivalent to being female, gay, black, disabled etc..

• Admin
16 minutes ago, IAmNick said:

I of course don't agree with what that Wetherspoons did but being a football supporter (a pastime interest as you said) is not even slightly equivalent to being female, gay, black, disabled etc..

True, but doesn't excuse how they can do it 

This subject reminds me of the sign on Drake Road near Ashton Gate that says "no parking on this side of the road 3hours before a Bristol City home match and 1hour after".

Its either safe to park on that side of the road or it isnt. Whether there's a football match on or not, or a house party down the road, it shouldnt discriminate against football fans.....unless its not a legal sign!

7 minutes ago, Barry Sheene said:

I remember going in to a Pub in Victoria London before the first game of euro96 and being refused service. 

My crime was that I was wearing a England shirt!

I was thrown out of the Wetherspoons pub near St Nicks market for wearing an England shirt, it was about ten years ago. They said no football shirts at all on the premises.

2 hours ago, Robin Ashton said:

My theme tune...

im actually banned for 18months from our local spoons for telling a bouncer I was about to get started on and I'd rather they intervened because I didn't want the trouble... but after I got marched out, nothing had happened, the following weekend. I tried to go in, was told I won't be allowed in for 18months  

IMG_1341.JPG

4 hours ago, BigTone said:

I used to like Wetherspoons but these days they are just rundown dumps where the old soaks go to get pissed at 9am

So, now you love Weatherspoons but just have to get up a bit earlier then Tone? :) 

3 hours ago, beaverface said:

This subject reminds me of the sign on Drake Road near Ashton Gate that says "no parking on this side of the road 3hours before a Bristol City home match and 1hour after".

Its either safe to park on that side of the road or it isnt. Whether there's a football match on or not, or a house party down the road, it shouldnt discriminate against football fans.....unless its not a legal sign!

What about the Rugby games then?

6 hours ago, Olé said:

Odd mixed messages from Wetherspoons - they were advertising their showing Man Utd-Liverpool in all their pubs in both cities, and offering a free drink if you went in wearing a replica shirt. Perhaps it's only non-plastic football fans they don't like.

Wetherspoons have Sky now? First I heard of it.

Wetherspons isn't too bad, good starting point when travelling say a hot chocolate cheapish, or at another city as a place to begin know what you are going to get.  Decent range of food (I know before anyone says, the obvious- so many in the country that they can afford to cut and cut prices). Is useful for consistency, you know what you will get but overall I think I prefer proper pubs.

There is however one excellent Wetherspoons I have been in, one which frankly was different and broke the mould...Tunbridge Wells- is an opera house and becomes a full one on one day of the year- the rest of the time it is a pub which is an opera house.

0229_new_bar02.jpg?vs=1&d=20151014T10024

Ive been barred from the dragon inn whetherspoons in WsM in the past because the manager claims i tried to punch him which clearly wasnt true.

I had just finished a really long day at work heavy lifting in heatwave conditions, had already agreed to meet a friend there, so i went and halfway through my 2nd pint i was feeling a bit sleepy, was saying im so knackered to my mate gonna be heading off home very sorry cutting it short etc. I half nodded off for a second, woke up and composed a bit, suddenly the manager approaches me taking my drink and asking me to leave. I was fine with that, i was heading off anyway and i could also see the "other view" of how it looked like as if one has had 8 pints or something.

Anyway i went back the following week meeting my same mate, and i was refused service and barred for 12months with the manager claiming i tried to punch him. Needless to say that was 4yrs ago and ive never been in there since.

10 hours ago, Olé said:

Odd mixed messages from Wetherspoons - they were advertising their showing Man Utd-Liverpool in all their pubs in both cities, and offering a free drink if you went in wearing a replica shirt. Perhaps it's only non-plastic football fans they don't like.

This was a post from a Spoons parody account, it's particularly amusing & catches lots of people out...

6 hours ago, CrazyInWeston said:

Ive been barred from the dragon inn whetherspoons in WsM in the past because the manager claims i tried to punch him which clearly wasnt true.

I had just finished a really long day at work heavy lifting in heatwave conditions, had already agreed to meet a friend there, so i went and halfway through my 2nd pint i was feeling a bit sleepy, was saying im so knackered to my mate gonna be heading off home very sorry cutting it short etc. I half nodded off for a second, woke up and composed a bit, suddenly the manager approaches me taking my drink and asking me to leave. I was fine with that, i was heading off anyway and i could also see the "other view" of how it looked like as if one has had 8 pints or something.

Anyway i went back the following week meeting my same mate, and i was refused service and barred for 12months with the manager claiming i tried to punch him. Needless to say that was 4yrs ago and ive never been in there since.

I went to one after work as well once, waiting for my mates, I'm there sipping my first pint and told to leave cuz I was off my tits and drugs would not be tolerated in the establishment, I also was very tired, but they didn't believe me

• Admin
10 hours ago, CrazyInWeston said:

I know this is slightly off topic, but know the guy you mean - he was well known for throwing bans around - hence he was given his P45

The Dragon is one of the worst spoons pubs around, so probably a blessing !

Archived