IGNORED

"We saw the class act that Hegeler is in midfield".

GrahamC

8 minutes ago, Londoner said:

It was fleetwood

It was in a way a fee hit, against a good team on a unbeaten 13 game run or 11, not sure, but it was a chance to play again a team that is still getting to know each other, and that is invaluable. I agree it is a slightly underwhelming win, and I would rather have 3 points, but we do have a 4th round cup match, and another free hit if you like, and more game time in preparation for the league games . And you know, we can win at Burnley, why not, and that would quite possibly but a smile on your face, possibly. 

16 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

First off, I am absolutely delighted we won.

I may have lost any faith I had in LJ but I still always want us to win.

Now it is said sometimes that football is a simple game and nothing better sums that up than this quote just now from LJ after the game.

Who'd have ever thought it, eh? You pick your 3 best central defenders all in their natural positions, put Hegeler in his best position in front of them and guess what? A clean sheet.

Sometimes it really isn't rocket science...

K.I.S.S!

Just now, Benjam!n Ultra said:

So what happened when Matthews played there instead of our actual CB in Moore?

Goes back to the same point that players in their proper positions do a better job. 

We were talking about Hegeler.

Even then it's lost 2, drawn 1. Not "Lost every game in the process".

Just now, 1bristolcity said:

It was in a way a fee hit, against a good team on a unbeaten 13 game run or 11, not sure, but it was a chance to play again a team that is still getting to know each other, and that is invaluable. I agree it is a slightly underwhelming win, and I would rather have 3 points, but we do have a 4th round cup match, and another free hit if you like, and more game time in preparation for the league games . And you know, we can win at Burnley, why not, and that would quite possibly but a smile on your face, possibly. 

Course it wouldn't.

@Londoner will be cheering on Fleetwood against Southend on that weekend.

18 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Now it is said sometimes that football is a simple game and nothing better sums that up than this quote just now from LJ after the game.

Who'd have ever thought it, eh? You pick your 3 best central defenders all in their natural positions, put Hegeler in his best position in front of them and guess what? A clean sheet.

Sometimes it really isn't rocket science...

You do realise Magnusson has been injured don't you? Plus we kept a clean sheet in the 1st match?

1 minute ago, robin_unreliant said:

Both against a L1 team. Only saying like. Glad we won but Saturday is what really counts. Can't see we have the WB cover to stick with 352 against better opposition.

Agree re RWB (accepting of Joe's inconsistency, as he looks like he might be about to have one of his upturns), but can we focus recruitment there over the next two weeks?

Just now, JamesBCFC said:

We were talking about Hegeler.

Even then it's lost 2, drawn 1. Not "Lost every game in the process".

Apologies, I was more responding to you saying LJ had no choice. 

I'm more concerned about the league games than the cups ties against L1 sides - not taking away our win tonight - but the games against sides at our level when picking a RB and a more natural CM over our England U20 captain didn't end well. 

5 minutes ago, Benjam!n Ultra said:

So what happened when Matthews played there instead of our actual CB in Moore?

Goes back to the same point that players in their proper positions do a better job. 

Unfortunately you open yourself right up LJ with comments like that. Maggers stays injured, Hegeler stays at the back. Stop trying to bullshit a bullshitter. 

3 minutes ago, arrytheb said:

You do realise Magnusson has been injured don't you? Plus we kept a clean sheet in the 1st match?

So he was on the bench on Saturday whilst "injured" was he?

I do know we kept a clean sheet at home to a League One side in an utter borefest (I was there) but didn't tonight's line up (with the obvious exception of Tammy for Engvall, though I am very pleased the Swede played) just seem so obviously a much better balanced team all round?

Just now, Benjam!n Ultra said:

Apologies, I was more responding to you saying LJ had no choice. 

I'm more concerned about the league games than the cups ties against L1 sides - not taking away our win tonight - but the games against sides at our level when picking a RB and a more natural CM over our England U20 captain didn't end well. 

Once again.

If you have a deal agreed in principle to allow that England U20 captain go and get vital game time at another club so that any inevitable mistakes don't cost us, would you risk losing that deal because of an injury or suspension he may pick up in that one game, or would you accept playing 1 player slightly out of position for 1 game?

It would be incredibly short sighted to risk 6 months of player development for 1 game in which he may well do a worse job. Matthews was out of position, but still playing as a defender, with the experience he has built up he would have an idea of how to adapt his game. On the other hand you have a CB who has played roughly 9 first team games EVER, roughly half of those as a RB. 

1 minute ago, GrahamC said:

I do know we kept a clean sheet at home to a League One side in an utter borefest (I was there) but didn't tonight's line up (with the obvious exception of Tammy for Engvall, though I am very pleased the Swede played) just seem so obviously a much better balanced team all round?

Yes he was.

He was on his way back from injury Saturday. He could have played with no other options, but ideally needed another couple of days.

In the mean time we had a player who was comfortable as a CB and with experience at a high level in that position.

It was an absolute no brainier.

Once again.

If you have a deal agreed in principle to allow that England U20 captain go and get vital game time at another club so that any inevitable mistakes don't cost us, would you risk losing that deal because of an injury or suspension he may pick up in that one game, or would you accept playing 1 player slightly out of position for 1 game?

It would be incredibly short sighted to risk 6 months of player development for 1 game in which he may well do a worse job. Matthews was out of position, but still playing as a defender, with the experience he has built up he would have an idea of how to adapt his game. On the other hand you have a CB who has played roughly 9 first team games EVER, roughly half of those as a RB. 

Yes, because , quite frankly, who the **** is, or cares about, Bury?!

But ignoring that LJ confirmed after the Reading game there were no bids as of yet so why Moore was left to commentate makes no sense to me, fair enough if it does to you. 

3 minutes ago, Benjam!n Ultra said:

Yes, because , quite frankly, who the **** is, or cares about, Bury?!

But ignoring that LJ confirmed after the Reading game there were no bids as of yet so why Moore was left to commentate makes no sense to me, fair enough if it does to you. 

Because managers are always truthful about transfer dealings in press conferences.

They are so well known for being 100% truthful about transfer dealing in interviews with the media.

I seem to recall Cotterill lead Stockhausen to believe there was nothing happening with transfers, AS takes a holiday and lo and behold a signing is announced.

I also recall Wenger denying all rumours about a potential player. 10 minutes later the player was announced as signed.

But no, managers are definitely always truthful about transfers in interviews.

4 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

He was coming back from injury and we had a fully fit player who has played 50 odd games in Germanys top division at CB available. Yes tonight's line appeared to be a better balanced team but Magnusson clearly wasn't fit enough to gamble on Saturday.

Because managers are always truthful about transfer dealings in press conferences.

They are so well known for being 100% truthful about transfer dealing in interviews with the media.

I seem to recall Cotterill lead Stockhausen to believe there was nothing happening with transfers, AS takes a holiday and lo and behold a signing is announced.

I also recall Wenger denying all rumours about a potential player. 10 minutes later the player was announced as signed.

So it appears we're both just guessing at the circumstances then. Fair enough, that's the end of that. 

10 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Your right, he also fell out with LJ as LJ thought Iceland was a supermarket and not a country so LJ benched him out of spite.

Just now, cynic said:

It needed to be said - but that should have been obvious to everyone.

But hey ! Lets slag LJ off anyway.

Exactly, as soon as Hegeler signed I thought we might see him at CB for a couple of games while Magnusson was injured before moving into midfield.

It was the most obvious option with his past experience.

After Wright signed I doubted it a little, but even with Wright we only had 3 fit CB, with Hegeler we could start with a 3-5-2 and move him forward into midfield for a 4-42/4-2-3-1 formation.

Once Magnusson was back it would give more options and allow Hegeler to start as a CM in a 3-5-2

Archived