IGNORED

"We saw the class act that Hegeler is in midfield".

GrahamC

First off, I am absolutely delighted we won.

I may have lost any faith I had in LJ but I still always want us to win.

Now it is said sometimes that football is a simple game and nothing better sums that up than this quote just now from LJ after the game.

Who'd have ever thought it, eh? You pick your 3 best central defenders all in their natural positions, put Hegeler in his best position in front of them and guess what? A clean sheet.

Sometimes it really isn't rocket science...

3 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

First off, I am absolutely delighted we won.

I may have lost any faith I had in LJ but I still always want us to win.

Now it is said sometimes that football is a simple game and nothing better sums that up than this quote just now from LJ after the game.

Who'd have ever thought it, eh? You pick your 3 best central defenders all in their natural positions, put Hegeler in his best position in front of them and guess what? A clean sheet.

Sometimes it really isn't rocket science...

It's almost like he was short on players to fill the third CB slot in the last 2 games.

Just now, Benjam!n Ultra said:

Only because he loaned the third out. 

Right, because throwing a 20 year old into the deep end to keep us up is a great idea.

Or we could let him get first team experience in a pressure situation for another club where errors that may happen because of his inexperience won't affect us.

Just now, JamesBCFC said:

Right, because throwing a 20 year old into the deep end to keep us up is a great idea.

Or we could let him get first team experience in a pressure situation for another club where errors that may happen because of his inexperience won't affect us.

Well it was only needed for three games. LJ would have known that. He could have loaned him out after.  

Or he could have played well, impressed and kept his place. 

It is strange playing players in there actual positions = get the right results

I still don't think we have good enough wingbacks for this formation in the championship but very happy if proven wrong. Will be interesting to see if Brownhill get a go at RWB if Hegler and O Neil are the central midfield pairing...

I think we would have won on Saturday if Hegeler had been moved into midfield at about 65 - 70 minutes: Brownhill and O'Dowda were clearly beginning to feel the pace and Cardiff were beginning to dominate. Although the goals came from individual mistakes, the pressure on the defence that made those mistakes possible started in losing the midfield battle (which we hadn't, for the first hour).

As stated by the OP, it often doesn't have to be rocket science. We can only hope LJ has learned a big lesson from this and begins to get the best out of a talented group of players: now is the time for him to start living up to that potential he apparently has.

1 minute ago, Benjam!n Ultra said:

Well it was only needed for three games. LJ would have known that. He could have loaned him out after.  

Or we could have played a player there who quite capable of playing there and not risked scuppering the loan deal.

I think we would have won on Saturday if Hegeler had been moved into midfield at about 65 - 70 minutes: Brownhill and O'Dowda were clearly beginning to feel the pace and Cardiff were beginning to dominate. Although the goals came from individual mistakes, the pressure on the defence that made those mistakes possible started in losing the midfield battle (which we hadn't, for the first hour).

As stated by the OP, it often doesn't have to be rocket science. We can only hope LJ has learned a big lesson from this and begins to get the best out of a talented group of players: now is the time for him to start living up to that potential he apparently has.

1 minute ago, Benjam!n Ultra said:

Hardly as simple as that, you never know when a complication can affect an injury, perhaps Bury were the best club interested but had put a deadline on when they wanted a resolution by so they could move on to the next target if unsuccessful.

Even then Hegeler is NOT out of position at CB. He is a versatile player who made 50 appearances in the Bundesliga at CB and 50 as a CM.

In his 2 starts just before he signed he played at CB and was MOTM both times.

Archived