IGNORED

"We saw the class act that Hegeler is in midfield".

GrahamC

10 hours ago, GrahamC said:

First off, I am absolutely delighted we won.

I may have lost any faith I had in LJ but I still always want us to win.

Now it is said sometimes that football is a simple game and nothing better sums that up than this quote just now from LJ after the game.

Who'd have ever thought it, eh? You pick your 3 best central defenders all in their natural positions, put Hegeler in his best position in front of them and guess what? A clean sheet.

Sometimes it really isn't rocket science...

Exactly what I said the day we signed him...

10 hours ago, JamesBCFC said:

Right, because throwing a 20 year old into the deep end to keep us up is a great idea.

Or we could let him get first team experience in a pressure situation for another club where errors that may happen because of his inexperience won't affect us.

last time we did that it worked quite well

11 hours ago, Davefevs said:

2 clean sheets in 3 since Bailey Wright added to the defence.  Looks like he'll bring good habits.

Tbf 2 of those games were against Fleetwood....

However habits can become ingrained, so hopefully clean sheets can replace conceding 1or more late goals!

10 hours ago, reddogkev said:

Make no mistake, having a guy of this pedigree playing for City is an outstanding coup for the club.  Just watch him grow as a City player.

Agree. Plus the impact he has on those around him is just as important as how good he actually is himself. As LJ said : a class above. 

12 hours ago, Dastardly and Muttley said:

Just needed Magnusson to be fit.

Hegeler was always going to play midfield.

Or round pegs in round holes.

My problem was the sudden change to playing 3 at the back, straight after signing our midfielder, perhaps he could/should have waited until Magnusson was fit to try that formation?.

13 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

Or round pegs in round holes.

My problem was the sudden change to playing 3 at the back, straight after signing our midfielder, perhaps he could/should have waited until Magnusson was fit to try that formation?.

Your right, it would've made more sense to have replaced Magnusson with Wright, and as you said, play Hegeler in the middle for his first 2 games.

Ah well, LJ will live and learn!

3 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

Your right, it would've made more sense to have replaced Magnusson with Wright, and as you said, play Hegeler in the middle for his first 2 games.

Ah well, LJ will live and learn!

Maybe it was partly designed to get other players used to the system. Flint will have to familiarise himself playing in a 5/3 with Wright who also has to learn with his new teammates and the likes of Bryan and Little will also have to get used to it.

We're not exactly short on central midfielders so maybe it was seen as the best way to get as many players familiar with that system as possible.

It would've all been planned with the options weighed up.

2 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Maybe it was partly designed to get other players used to the system. Flint will have to familiarise himself playing in a 5/3 with Wright who also has to learn with his new teammates and the likes of Bryan and Little will also have to get used to it.

We're not exactly short on central midfielders so maybe it was seen as the best way to get as many players familiar with that system as possible.

That's what I would have assumed. 

1 minute ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Yep, no doubt there were a multitude of reasons that made good sense at the time to play such a formation.

I would argue that at home to Fleetwood (all due respect to them and their recent run) we didn't need to change our defensive shape to such a degree.  I would've done it differently, but then again, there's probably a reason I've never been employed as a football coach!

4 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Flint played in a back 3 for 18 months and Wright has also played in a back 3 quite a few times.

I can see the logic in our 2 games against Fleetwood but the Cardiff game was different, it was far more important and yet again inevitably our midfield crumbled and we ended up with yet another predictable defeat.

5 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

Flint played in a back 3 for 18 months and Wright has also played in a back 3 quite a few times.

I can see the logic in our 2 games against Fleetwood but the Cardiff game was different, it was far more important and yet again inevitably our midfield crumbled and we ended up with yet another predictable defeat.

All with different teammates though, that makes a big difference. Wasn't at Cardiff so can't comment on that performance but that system is complicated and as much time playing matches with new teammates is necessary especially midway though a season.

7 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

Yep, no doubt there were a multitude of reasons that made good sense at the time to play such a formation.

I would argue that at home to Fleetwood (all due respect to them and their recent run) we didn't need to change our defensive shape to such a degree.  I would've done it differently, but then again, there's probably a reason I've never been employed as a football coach!

Fleetwood was the game, if any, where we could afford to take a risk with our shape. Perfect opportunity to try the new players in a new system.

Shame we had to go to a replay but even that extra game perhaps isn't such a bad thing. As much game time as possible is needed for a new shape, especially one that's a bit more complex like 352/532

10 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

Let's remember tho for the majority of the game against Cardiff the system worked.

4 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

All with different teammates though, that makes a big difference. Wasn't at Cardiff so can't comment on that performance but that system is complicated and as much time playing matches with new teammates is necessary especially midway though a season.

OK so exactly what (apart from another confidence draining defeat) was actually gained from the Cardiff result?, especially knowing all along that midfield was the real problem and not the defence?.

Me I am a fan of a back 3 but as you allude to the 3 centre backs need to be in sync but the most important ingredient will always be the midfield offering proper protection for 90 minutes.

3 minutes ago, Up The City! said:

Let's remember tho for the majority of the game against Cardiff the system worked.

Let's remember also that since early October every system we employed worked for almost the hour mark and then they didn't, QPR, Barnsley, Birmingham, Brentford, Preston, Wolves, Ipswich, Reading and of course Cardiff are all games we were either winning or had clawed our way back into and we ended up taking a grand total of 1 point from those games, that is not coincidence or bad luck that is consistency, inevitability, predictability.

11 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

OK so exactly what (apart from another confidence draining defeat) was actually gained from the Cardiff result?, especially knowing all along that midfield was the real problem and not the defence?.

Me I am a fan of a back 3 but as you allude to the 3 centre backs need to be in sync but the most important ingredient will always be the midfield offering proper protection for 90 minutes.

I can answer this one. For most of the game I was pleased with how we set up. We matched them physically (which we didn't do at their ground) and kept our composure in a heated game and didn't fall for their dirty time wasting tactics. We stuck to the game plan and it worked until we imploded. There was also some very good individual performances and rhe new boys fitted in well.

2 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

Let's remember also that since early October every system we employed worked for almost the hour mark and then they didn't, QPR, Barnsley, Birmingham, Brentford, Preston, Wolves, Ipswich, Reading and of course Cardiff are all games we were either winning or had clawed our way back into and we ended up taking a grand total of 1 point from those games, that is not coincidence or bad luck that is consistency, inevitability, predictability.

Which says to me the problem isn't the formation or the tactics but more fitness and or psychological related?

1 minute ago, Up The City! said:

Which says to me the problem isn't the formation or the tactics but more fitness and or psychological related?

Ah right thanks for proving my point so the system change was superfluous, especially at that time.

I want to make one thing clear, I actually want LJ to succeed in the same way that I wanted the miserable  SOD to succeed, but I will always reserve the right to criticise his individual decisions and I think that our piss poor run should have sorted quicker and if as you allude to fitness is a problem then something is seriously wrong with the coaching set up. I think there have been a lot of BS excuses put forward about our poor run and I hope that Fleetwood is going to be the turning point, LJ desperately needs a result on Saturday but I fear a defeat (a record breaking defeat) will be a disaster and one that will be difficult to recover from.

You all have me to thank, as does LJ for buying him time. 

I went out for a run last night, listening to the game on the radio.  I haven't done this since those halcyon tues nights of 2014/15 when I would don my gear and brave the elements comforted by the knowledge I would be entertained and we would win for sure.  

I'll try it again for the villa game.

I do think it's important to note that as far as I am aware, Fleetwood have only failed to score in 3 games so far this year... 2 of them against us in the last few weeks. Hopefully our defence can draw some positives from that and use it as something to build on and continue.

4 hours ago, Up The City! said:

I have commented to my mates at several home games this season,that we looked absolutely shot with about 10 mins of the game left,mentally and physically.making wrong decisions.As to why, I haven't got a clue.

5 minutes ago, NOTBLUE said:

I have commented to my mates at several home games this season,that we looked absolutely shot with about 10 mins of the game left,mentally and physically.making wrong decisions.As to why, I haven't got a clue.

Not possible with all our sports scientists following every movement the lads make .

They have all the solutions .

" Here's Flinty's sample for analysis " 

IMG_1496.JPG

15 minutes ago, grifty said:

I do think it's important to note that as far as I am aware, Fleetwood have only failed to score in 3 games so far this year... 2 of them against us in the last few weeks. Hopefully our defence can draw some positives from that and use it as something to build on and continue.

Absolutely. They are solid side and were on great run. L1 team or not, that was a decent performance and result. Even more so considering the run we were on.

The benefit of that win is more psychological than anything else.

1 minute ago, Major Isewater said:

Not possible with all our sports scientists following every movement the lads make .

They have all the solutions .

" Here's Flinty's sample for analysis " 

IMG_1496.JPG

I think he's had one too many slush puppies.

Archived