IGNORED

Richard O'Donnell - Gone

RedM

2 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Too far off the line, ran backwards stupidly when he could of just caught it on the bounce with a simple jump, fell over through his frantic back pedalling allowing the ball to bounce three feet off the ground and trickle into the net.

That's what I call a goalkeeping error. Which is why it got shown on various football programmes as a "howler". A guy I know in Germany even saw it on a programme they have about English football. 

Don't get me wrong I'm not saying he covered himself in glory. But like I said 99 times out of 100 there's no trip and it's no goal and a non issue. 

Fielding on his debut vs Bradford was a considerably bigger error of judgement. Basso made plenty. 

Reality is all players make shocking errors of judgement from time to time but keepers take the flak. In terms of the total cost of that blunder to the club, it's the same as a missed penalty or Bobby Reid squandering tap ins from a distance that it should be impossible to miss at. 

Keepers get a disproportionate amount of flak in relation to outfielders. 

Yes I played in goal :laugh: 

1 minute ago, BCFC Grim said:

Not sure a stop gap classes as a replacement. No word of a permanent deal being an option in the loan deal. We are going to have another very busy summer ahead. (Replacing a possible Championship top goalscorer and finding a first choice goal keeper)  I'm not contemplating going down yet, some god awful teams in this league. Doesn't say alot for us I'm afraid.

Replacement til the end of the season works for me right now. If there's an opportunity to improve the squad then it should be done.

Tammy is a 'stop gap' with no chance of a permanent deal but I'm bloody glad we have him. 

Just now, BRISTOL86 said:

Replacement til the end of the season works for me right now. If there's an opportunity to improve the squad then it should be done.

Tammy is a 'stop gap' with no chance of a permanent deal but I'm bloody glad we have him. 

I agree, just feel like we've missed the boat with Tammy. His goals could/should of been in a play off hunt, instead we are relegation contenders. Johnson and Co really have made a mess of this season.

12 minutes ago, BCFC Grim said:

I agree, just feel like we've missed the boat with Tammy. His goals could/should of been in a play off hunt, instead we are relegation contenders. Johnson and Co really have made a mess of this season.

Or maybe a team that was nearly relegated last season has made a slight improvement this season, but overachieved at the start of the season making the inevitable regression to the mean appear all the more disappointing.

We've improved our position on 12 months ago. Both the squad list and the league table show that. I am hopeful that we will improve further over the next 12 months into a genuine top 10 side. But that was never going to happen overnight.

37 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Giefer now confirmed. 

Unfortunately for ROD,  he will be forever remembered for THAT lob. Perhaps the worst goalkeeping clanger I've seen in person in a lifetime of watching football. 

James...Watford...just saying...

6 minutes ago, BCFC_Dan said:

Or maybe a team that was nearly relegated last season has made a slight improvement this season, but overachieved at the start of the season making the inevitable regression to the mean appear all the more disappointing.

We've improved our position on 12 months ago. Both the squad list and the league table show that. I am hopeful that we will improve further over the next 12 months into a genuine top 10 side. But that was never going to happen overnight.

Far too sensible. 

No idea about the individual post you're referring to, but generally 'Little Lee' isn't snide at all.

He's always been called LL and often as not a term of endearment as much as anything else.

If the OP had referred to him as 'our Midget Manager', the 'Diminutive Dwarf', our 'Titchy Trainer', the Laughable Lilliputian, or similar, then that wouldn't be nice.

But he/she didn't, so no idea why anyone would be so sensitive about such a long term and harmless nickname.

people want more than platitudes from press conferences yet when LJ is open he gets criticism. As for this move seems like a very good bit of business on both sides. Two weeks into transfer window and we have 4 major improvements to the squad. 

25 minutes ago, BCFC Grim said:

John Galley scored  84 goals in172 games over 4.5 seasons for us, but all his goals did was keep us in the 2nd division whilst DIcks built the team of the future. He was the first player that Dicks thanked in his promotion speech, maybe Tammy will be Johnson's first thought in a season or two.

1 hour ago, Richard Head said:

I don't think it's a matter of LJ not liking him as he signed him on a permanent contract following loan. He looked good last season but lost confidence following a couple of awful games.

Like Sheff Wed away when he let a long distance shot through his fingers and the rot set in with Brighton gaff to follow.

Plus chatting to some Wigan fans on the opening day of the season they couldn't understand why I then rated him so highly.

They had already seen what was to come unfortunately.

47 minutes ago, Tom said:

He's also just undermined Tomlin to a degree in his ongoing presser....

Can't see Tomlin staying now, again he has pressed the self destruct button, last season it was 'how much he loved it here....now manufacturing a move, again it seems, but where Lee? Just knuckle down, act like a pro, and thank your lucky stars you don't have the grind of a proper job. 

1 minute ago, Red Rag said:

No room for sentiment in football. If we want to progress we move on players and replace then with better. To long has BCFC been a bit too cosy.

Goalkeeper probably the most crucial position in any team, good that we have improved on what we had, which was poor to say the least,  Fielding is far too small for a keeper.

1 minute ago, 1bristolcity said:

Can't see Tomlin staying now, again he has pressed the self destruct button, last season it was 'how much he loved it here....now manufacturing a move, again it seems, but where Lee? Just knuckle down, act like a pro, and thank your lucky stars you don't have the grind of a proper job. 

The "undermining" of Tomlin didn't happen at all

47 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Don't get me wrong I'm not saying he covered himself in glory. But like I said 99 times out of 100 there's no trip and it's no goal and a non issue. 

Fielding on his debut vs Bradford was a considerably bigger error of judgement. Basso made plenty. 

Reality is all players make shocking errors of judgement from time to time but keepers take the flak. In terms of the total cost of that blunder to the club, it's the same as a missed penalty or Bobby Reid squandering tap ins from a distance that it should be impossible to miss at. 

Keepers get a disproportionate amount of flak in relation to outfielders. 

Yes I played in goal :laugh: 

I have some sympathy for this view, especially the last sentence, in the same way that defenders seem to take the flak for the inadequacies of a midfield, most fans only see the the final error and miss all of the other opportunities to nullify an opponents attack.

IMO ROD and FF are far too similar but I think FF is a marginally better shot stopper, but neither command the area and at a time when we need some leaders hopefully that is what the new guy will give us + command of the area.

I have it on very good authority from somebody who has met him and spent time with him, he is very arrogant (the new guy that is).

6 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

I have some sympathy for this view, especially the last sentence, in the same way that defenders seem to take the flak for the inadequacies of a midfield, most fans only see the the final error and miss all of the other opportunities to nullify an opponents attack.

IMO ROD and FF are far too similar but I think FF is a marginally better shot stopper, but neither command the area and at a time when we need some leaders hopefully that is what the new guy will give us + command of the area.

I have it on very good authority from somebody who has met him and spent time with him, he is very arrogant (the new guy that is).

Well, Es, as a goalie you should know that arrogance/confidence can inspire the defenders in front of you so I don't necessarily see this as a bad thing. We've been crying out for a proper No. 1 for ages. 

Goodbye and good luck to RO'D; put in a shift the tail end of last season to help keep us in this league, and I for one will always be grateful for that.

Had some genuinely bad games this year, and never really seemed to recovered his composure after Rotherham away; those people lionising him over Frankie should keep in mind that run - I think the defence lost faith in him then, which did for him.  All this talk of 'Little' Lee not "liking" him; pretty sure 'Big' Aiden wasn't comfortable playing in front of him tbh.

Hope he has a howler at the Gate, but best wishes to him otherwise.

Onwards and upwards.

1 minute ago, CyderInACan said:

Well, Es, as a goalie you should know that arrogance/confidence can inspire the defenders in front of you so I don't necessarily see this as a bad thing. We've been crying out for a proper No. 1 for ages. 

And that's why I mentioned it Cyder.

The best amateur goalkeeper I ever worked with was temper on legs for the duration of a game and would go through his own players to clear the ball.

1 minute ago, samo II said:

Goodbye and good luck to RO'D; put in a shift the tail end of last season to help keep us in this league, and I for one will always be grateful for that.

Had some genuinely bad games this year, and never really seemed to recovered his composure after Rotherham away; those people lionising him over Frankie should keep in mind that run - I think the defence lost faith in him then, which did for him.  All this talk of 'Little' Lee not "liking" him; pretty sure 'Big' Aiden wasn't comfortable playing in front of him tbh.

Hope he has a howler at the Gate, but best wishes to him otherwise.

Onwards and upwards.

Sheff Wednesday away wasn't his finest hour either, when in the dying seconds of a game and we were (predictably) clinging on at 2-2 after being 0-2 up, he manages to put a ball directly into touch from a kick out whilst under no pressure and from that they broke and scored.

Game management is another area we need to make huge improvements in.

Surprised to see this news today, thought he was doing quite well here. Didn't get much of a chance when he was with us as we've always been very fortunate with having decent keepers. He does seem to move clubs a lot though.

Not looking forward to Tuesday by the way.

Sheffield Wednesday - Ending other club's bad runs since 1867

1 minute ago, Owl Visiting said:

Surprised to see this news today, thought he was doing quite well here. Didn't get much of a chance when he was with us as we've always been very fortunate with having decent keepers. He does seem to move clubs a lot though.

Not looking forward to Tuesday by the way.

Sheffield Wednesday - Ending other club's bad runs since 1867

Well hopefully Forest will end ours on Saturday. 

51 minutes ago, BCFC_Dan said:

A slight improvement? With the amount we spent? Well happy ******* days.

45 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

No idea about the individual post you're referring to, but generally 'Little Lee' isn't snide at all.

He's always been called LL and often as not a term of endearment as much as anything else.

If the OP had referred to him as 'our Midget Manager', the 'Diminutive Dwarf', our 'Titchy Trainer', the Laughable Lilliputian, or similar, then that wouldn't be nice.

But he/she didn't, so no idea why anyone would be so sensitive about such a long term and harmless nickname.

It's relative to who has called him it and their previous posts. You notice it's only people who are vehemently and sometimes unreasonably critical of him who call him 'little Lee' in a way that's clearly intended to be disrespectful. 

6 minutes ago, BCFC Grim said:

A slight improvement? With the amount we spent? Well happy ******* days.

Yea because history is riddled with clubs who have achieved instant success whilst basically having to completely rebuild their on and off the field infrastructure in one season. 

Have people not learned by now that you can't just chuck money at things and buy your way out? Derby have tried and failed for years and they're a much bigger club.

We're going for long term sustainability and growth and trying to actually build something with solid foundations. Brighton are finally reaping the reward of that and every club should be looking at them as an example of going about things the right way. 

So we've been critical of both keepers saying they aren't good enough we get rid of one and get a fee and are critical of that?

for the record o'donnel for me was always the poorer of the two and I'd of got rid of him in august and replaced him then

Archived