IGNORED

Richard O'Donnell - Gone

RedM

9 minutes ago, BCFC Grim said:

A slight improvement? With the amount we spent? Well happy ******* days.

And about half of those signings are young.

They aren't doing great right now, but holding their own, next year they will, to a man, be better. 

And the year after that, and the year after that, and so on.

1 hour ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Really? He was off his line during a non threatening passage of play and unfortunately slipped on his way back. 99 times out of 100 there's no slip and he saves it comfortably. 

Seen Basso and Fielding make much more calamitous errors! Think ROD was just very unlucky. 

I agree but have to say his footwork was shocking before he "fell over".

4 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Saw him score a goal!

How many has ROD got in his career?  ;)

Still one of my favourite tv moments ever was watching Points West whilst they tried to get him to repeat it the following day. The howling gales that assisted him the night before had dissipated and in the end they edited together a shot of him kicking the ball and another of it trickling into the net! :)  

17 minutes ago, BCFC Grim said:

A slight improvement? With the amount we spent? Well happy ******* days.

Do you actually know the amount we spent?

Aside from most fees being "undisclosed", wages are the biggest factor in the club's outgoings as they cannot be recouped later, and they are not disclosed, except as a total in the accounting figures. All we have to go on is rumoured transfer fees, and we know they're massively inflated across the board.

16 minutes ago, BCFC_Dan said:

Do you actually know the amount we spent?

Aside from most fees being "undisclosed", wages are the biggest factor in the club's outgoings as they cannot be recouped later, and they are not disclosed, except as a total in the accounting figures. All we have to go on is rumoured transfer fees, and we know they're massively inflated across the board.

Are happy with having only 6 more points than last season at this stage?

30 minutes ago, BCFC Grim said:

Are happy with having only 6 more points than last season at this stage?

Well we're not in the relegation zone, whereas we were this time last season.

I don't think anybody is happy with the league position and certainly not the current form. Nobody is defending that.

Some of us are realistic about where our club is and what is and isn't possible to achieve in a year.

9 minutes ago, BCFC_Dan said:

I don't think anybody is happy with the league position and certainly not the current form. Nobody is defending that.

Some of us are realistic about where our club is and what is and isn't possible to achieve in a year.

I admire your optimism, but don't agree with it I'm afraid. Alot can be achieved in said period. Look at Huddersfield, we finished above them last season. Look at Brighton the season before last. I think you're being very kind. We are failing, simple as that.

Just now, bcfc@downend said:

Did you see the David James punch ball into his own net ? Some away game.

Yep. I've seen a few.

The 50 yard chip was so spectacular though. Wrong on so many levels and destined to be a YouTube classic for years to come.

Good luck to O'Donnell by the way. A decent keeper who lost his way and confidence. 

As has been said, a fresh start for him is best for all concerned. 

2 minutes ago, BCFC Grim said:

I admire your optimism, but don't agree with it I'm afraid. Alot can be achieved in said period. Look at Huddersfield, we finished above them last season. Look at Brighton the season before last. I think you're being very kind. We are failing, simple as that.

Exactly.

7 minutes ago, BCFC_Dan said:

A year ago, Barnsley were 17th in L1. It's amazing what you can do in a year.

A season of uneventful midtable football was a realistic hope back in the summer, and what the majority of us expected. With Lee Tomlin providing some excitement every now and then. Instead, we have this.

You are also forgetting that SL himself, 13 months ago in Dec 2015, said he expected us to be "challenging at the other end of the table next season" so if some do have unrealistic expectations about what this club can achieve in a year, you can include the majority shareholder in that, and perhaps begin to understand why some might go along with him (and then be upset when it does not materialise).

Just now, JamesBCFC said:

And failed in the playoffs.

Even then they were in a better position, their off the field set up has been far better than ours, however, we have made big strides forward since LJ took charge.

Now you're just arguing for the sake of it, after looking a little silly. I'd take a play off final defeat right now. It shows progress can be made in a short period. Don't even get me started where that club was a few years back.

1 minute ago, BCFC Grim said:

Now you're just arguing for the sake of it, after looking a little silly. I'd take a play off final defeat right now. It shows progress can be made in a short period. Don't even get me started where that club was a few years back.

Their off field set up has been far better than ours. That is not an argument, it is a fact.

Even conceding Brighton and Huddersfield, you are trying to argue great progress is easy based on 2 anomalies.

3 minutes ago, Jack Dawe said:

A year ago, Barnsley were 17th in L1. It's amazing what you can do in a year.

A season of uneventful midtable football was a realistic hope back in the summer, and what the majority of us expected. With Lee Tomlin providing some excitement every now and then. Instead, we have this.

You are also forgetting that SL himself, 13 months ago in Dec 2015, said he expected us to be "challenging at the other end of the table next season" so if some do have unrealistic expectations about what this club can achieve in a year, you can include the majority shareholder in that, and perhaps begin to understand why some might go along with him (and then be upset when it does not materialise).

Well we're (probably) getting a season of midtable football, it's just that we seem to be getting the good form and bad form in big chunks rather than being evenly distributed across the season.

I do agree that SL has made bold assertions about where the club will be in the near future on more than one occasion in the past. I expect he's disappointed at the moment, but if he really thinks the manager isn't meeting expectations then he'll sack him. At the moment we have to conclude that [a] he's confident that things will turn round and progress is acceptable, if not great.

Sometimes remarkable things do happen in football. Sometimes Barnsley or Crystal Palace go from the bottom half to promotion in six months. Sometimes Leicester City go from being in a relegation battle one season to champions the next. Conversely sometimes champions end up in relegation battles the following season. Those things are remarkable because they are rare. More often than not they don't happen. Just because something can happen doesn't mean it should be expected to.

3 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

Giefer now confirmed. 

Unfortunately for ROD,  he will be forever remembered for THAT lob. Perhaps the worst goalkeeping clanger I've seen in person in a lifetime of watching football. 

yes despite being our goalkeeper I hate to admit it looks funnier with every veiwing 

3 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

Their off field set up has been far better than ours. That is not an argument, it is a fact.

Even conceding Brighton and Huddersfield, you are trying to argue great progress is easy based on 2 anomalies.

It happened twice over the last two seasons. I could probably find another example but seems alot of effort.  I wouldn't call that an anomaly. Let's look at Barnsley for another example. It's amazing what people come up with to defend such mediocrity. ( hell I wish we were that good)

3 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

Giefer now confirmed. 

Unfortunately for ROD,  he will be forever remembered for THAT lob. Perhaps the worst goalkeeping clanger I've seen in person in a lifetime of watching football. 

did you not see the david james punch?

Archived