IGNORED

Johnson Personal Abuse

Major Isewater

3 minutes ago, Red Exile said:

Forgive me but that seems a strangely obscure response to a very lucid post from @havanatopia. To add my perspective, what Lee is doing, with his inept management of the club, is turning what could be a highly enjoyable activity, reflecting a lifelong commitment, into a miseryfest. I like nothing more than setting out for the day to travel to Bristol or to some far flung part of the country and join  other City fans cheering on our side. It's what I spent my first pay packet on 36 years ago...Carlisle away in the cup. Over the years I've spent a small fortune but when you see a committed performance it's worth it regardless of the result. This season I set out to see a work in progress, I wasn't expecting the finished article. What we've witnessed recently is depressing, fragile and incompetent. Lee isn't making me attend...but he appears to be ruining a football club that I was supporting before he was born and I'll be supporting long after he's gone.

Spot on fella.

6 hours ago, havanatopia said:

I have to say Major that while I am not a 4 letter word user I can fully understand supporters who throw vitriol at our current manager.

We are talking of fans here who give up at least one Saturday every other week, possibly go to quite a few away games, spend thousands on a season ticket, petrol, car parking fees and fines (thanks BCC), and food and drink.

To then see a diminutive, sorry but it is the point, guy clapping aimlessly at the crowd at the beginning and end of every match, who comes out with the same drivel week in week out about why we are losing and/or what he s doing about it, spouting meaningless cliches, repeating himself over and over again and saying 'Like I said' about 4 times each interview even before he has said something of repetition. 

As far as I am concerned a fan deserves a voice and the vast majority have been incredibly patient and understanding and, according to many, get behind the team. I think it all goes to show some are now so fed up with the manager that they simply have to let off some steam. Nobody likes it but boy can I understand the reasons behind it.

What word did another poster use on the match day? Untenable. I think this is where Lee J is right now; in an untenable position. Does anybody come back from that position? Possible but highly unlikely now unless he has a 100C-1; that I believe is the largest digger JCB produces. He had better get started.

I'm one of those fans you speak of, Havana, giving up most Saturdays. But I don't feel that gives me the right to 'throw vitriol' at anyone. 

Untenable isn't vitriol. That's an argument about the manager's position. His stature is totally irrelevant (would it be ok if he was 6'?) and that's personal and vitriol.

No-ones suggesting fans shouldn't have a voice. And lots of the debate on here has been, as it always is, positive and good natured. But it's when it turns from being about how tenable his position is to being name calling that it crosses the line. 

The other slightly unedifying tendency on here at the moment is this apparent enjoyment some posters have in having an excuse to moan at and abuse the manager and to start endless threads all saying much the same thing in order to do so.  Again, everyone has a view, but there are some posters who are pretty much silent on here other than when the club is going through a bad spell, whether under SOD, SC, LJ or whoever, and then suddenly become very vocal again, but always in the most negative way: whoever it is is crap, but no solutions other than 'get rid'. And if they wat to have that say at least keep it on one thread. Last night there must have been fifty separate threads all started to say pretty much the same thing. 

12 hours ago, Bob Thompson said:

We entered into a project of building up through our academies young players who could p!at for the first team or be sold on. With crowds of 20,000 we will never be able to buy or attract the best players from the Premiership.The young players we have are proving not consistent enough to keep us up. We have had to look abroad for players to help out.regretfully in this bad spell the fans who are looking for instant success are not impressed. It appears they want to give up on the head coach and his team and go back too the glory days. Oh when was that?

And you see green shoots of improvement where? 

3 hours ago, Olé said:

Because Steve Lansdown is an accountant that built Hargreaves Lansdown from nothing into a billion dollar business, I simply cannot reconcile him being so stupid as to be presented with the opportunity from LJ to end this disaster and decided, even against the managers will, he would prefer to persist with it. 

Fair play for raising an interesting thought, but I just can't believe we'd be so daft.

Johnson strikes me as a honest humble person and this is the reason why I thought of this possibility.

LJ isn't stupid, he knows this isn't good enough and I can imagine him having a conversation with Lansdown about his employment status. I believe in that conversation LJ would have said something like this is what is wrong, this is how I intend to fix it, if you don't have belief in me I'll walk away. 

I agree it may not have been dome formally but I can't for the life of me believe that these conversations havnt occurred. 

5 minutes ago, Up The City! said:

Johnson strikes me as a honest humble person and this is the reason why I thought of this possibility.

LJ isn't stupid, he knows this isn't good enough and I can imagine him having a conversation with Lansdown about his employment status. I believe in that conversation LJ would have said something like this is what is wrong, this is how I intend to fix it, if you don't have belief in me I'll walk away. 

I agree it may not have been dome formally but I can't for the life of me believe that these conversations havnt occurred. 

It's an interesting thought. As @Jack Dawe has pointed out in a new thread, it was mutually intimated by all including Johnson himself that the job might have been ahead of him. So you could have a point - given those expectations LJ doesn't lose much credibility if he does walk, reputational damage and judgement is worse for those who appointed him and perhaps they have more reason than the manager to hope he hangs around. If your theory is right, not nice for LJ but perhaps he is being encouraged to continue while they line up a replacement. Either way he looks and sounds like a dead man walking, putting it mildly.

18 hours ago, Kim_il_sung said:

I would agree in principal but everybody has a breaking point, and our fans are passionate about their team. If people have a few choice or colourful words to throw in Johnsons direction tonight, it would be self righteous to get on ones high horse about it. We are all hurting after all.

Some people just aren't intelligent enough to express an opinion without resorting to insults.

15 hours ago, Bob Thompson said:

We entered into a project of building up through our academies young players who could p!at for the first team or be sold on. With crowds of 20,000 we will never be able to buy or attract the best players from the Premiership.The young players we have are proving not consistent enough to keep us up. We have had to look abroad for players to help out.regretfully in this bad spell the fans who are looking for instant success are not impressed. It appears they want to give up on the head coach and his team and go back too the glory days. Oh when was that?

I can only assume from your optimism and stance that you yourself are relatively new to supporting the club...you appear to be new to OTIB. The notion that any seasoned Bristol City supporters are folk "looking for instant success" is fatally undermined by a glance at the club's trophy cabinet. On the other hand promises of "jam tomorrow" have been a regular feature of the Lansdown years...I don't feel that any of us can be blamed for yearning for the occasional taste of jam today.

On 1/21/2017 at 17:40, tinman85 said:

Pulis did a better job! 

Is this a joke?

Pulis was god awful- not only did he take us to midtable in League One with a truly appalling brand of football, he also signed from memory Steve Jones, Paul Mortimer and Paul Holland, the infamous Gerard Lavin- doubtless Mortimer and Jones came on decent wages as they came from a freshly relegated PL side, and contributed little. Billy Mercer was not bad though, Beadle okay as well. Pulis 11 game winless run in LEAGUE ONE or Division Two as it was then, awful football, LJ maybe bad but never in a million years is he worse than Pulis.

Appalling personal abuse . This has absolutely no place in the game , Graham Taylor ( a decent man ) was attacked relentlessly by the press years ago . However , passions running very high as is obvious frustration . The suggested , on some posts , replacement ,Gary Rowett ? Birmingham would have kept him surely if he was the  good manager it is generally believed he is . 

Can anyone offer a credible, attainable  alternative other than GR ? 

I think SL will stick with LJ for next 2 games . Unless marked shift in grit and pressing hard then I think he will be left with no choice but to make a change . Who that may be is a massive question given the churn of managers we have had over last few years . None of this is easy though and panic snap decisions should be avoided . Yes for sure Leeds got lucky with Gary Monk but Zola is struggling at Brum as is Sam at Palace . 

Anyway . Keep the faith . There are some excellent posts . 

Archived