IGNORED

We are "rebuilding" - LJ RB Interview

Lack of Action Man

2 minutes ago, OddBallJim said:

Letting Ayling go has proven to be a colossal error.

Not sure why you're back pedalling on your initial reply to my post... are you baffled as well? :dunno:

Fact of the matter is, LJ has said in his interview that we are rebuilding. After taking a solid 14 points from our first ten league matches how have we ended up in a situation where a rebuild overhaul of the squad is needed?

Not as contradictory as I seem.;) My point is that some rebuilding was necessary given the size and low quality of the squad but that it has been done in a scattergun way with less due diligence than claimed.

Too much focus was on ones for the future, at least one of whom seems to have been written off already, now we are signing older players in a hurry, with potentially a couple more to come, when it may be too late.

But given LJ has talked about 3 windows there will presumably be more next summer. So we may end again with a bloated squad and no room for academy players to come through.

1 minute ago, JoeAman08 said:

Without defending LJ because I'm not but the club is rebuilding. Rebuilding or not you can't lose 8 on the trot with a team that stayed up comfortably in the end last season and invested more for this season. If we were sitting in 15th and 35 points or whatever and our last 8 we had 2 wins and 2 draws then I'd be all for supporting the manager. That isn't reality however. The club is rebuilding but LJ is tearing down new foundations already to put up new ones. 

You're right. He's turning into SOD waffling on about the future while the ship is sinking. It's just an attempt to divert attention away from the fundamental point that the first team is massively underperforming NOW. 

21 minutes ago, OddBallJim said:

Letting Ayling go has proven to be a colossal error.

Not sure why you're back pedalling on your initial reply to my post... are you baffled as well? :dunno:

Fact of the matter is, LJ has said in his interview that we are rebuilding. After taking a solid 14 points from our first ten league matches how have we ended up in a situation where a rebuild overhaul of the squad is needed?

It's only an error in hindsight, nobody said that last season when Matthews was playing so well or when we signed him for the season, Don't kid yourself we would be doing a whole lot better with luke ayling in the side 

6 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

Without defending LJ because I'm not but the club is rebuilding. Rebuilding or not you can't lose 8 on the trot with a team that stayed up comfortably in the end last season and invested more for this season. If we were sitting in 15th and 35 points or whatever and our last 8 we had 2 wins and 2 draws then I'd be all for supporting the manager. That isn't reality however. The club is rebuilding but LJ is tearing down new foundations already to put up new ones. 

Rebuilding whilst clubs like Barnsley on 9K supporters come up from League 1 and p1$$ all over us. What about Preston.....again smaller crowd and benefactor than us and completely p1$$1ng all over us. Burton, haven't got a pot to p1$$ in at this level and we find ourselves a massive rwo points ahead of them. Not having rebuilding as an excuse. Appoint a Manager who knows the game and see how much "rebuilding" you have to do then.....one rebuild will be enough.

2 minutes ago, chinapig said:

Not as contradictory as I seem.;) My point is that some rebuilding was necessary given the size and low quality of the squad but that it has been done in a scattergun way with less due diligence than claimed.

Too much focus was on ones for the future, at least one of whom seems to have been written off already, now we are signing older players in a hurry, with potentially a couple more to come, when it may be too late.

But given LJ has talked about 3 windows there will presumably be more next summer. So we may end again with a bloated squad and no room for academy players to come through.

I take your points on board. There was too much focus on a long-term strategy when the here and now has fallen to pot.

Stinks of the same shite we put up with just after the stadium plans were announced and green-lighted - our league form collapsed around then because the club put all their eggs into the "long-term strategy" and didn't recognise the immediate problems.

3 minutes ago, boss hogg said:

totally lost the plot , he wont resign come on sl get shot.

I'm now inclined to agree. I think he'll do whatever is best for him financially. Full stop.

That will come as no particular surprise, but as a property investor, his decision making is obviously driven by money. 

2 minutes ago, Rob k said:

It's only an error in hindsight, nobody said that last season when Matthews was playing so well or when we signed him for the season, Don't kid yourself we would be doing a whole lot better with luke ayling in the side 

I'm firmly in the minority here but I was never impressed by Matthews, last season or this. Flattered to deceive imo and now he's turned out to be about as much use as Tony Dinning was...

Just now, CotswoldRed said:

I'm now inclined to agree. I think he'll do whatever is best for him financially. Full stop.

That will come as no particular surprise, but as a property investor, his decision making is obviously driven by money. 

just watched his interview looks like he,s  ran out of ideas and is just rambling talking for the sake of talking.

1 minute ago, Mendip City said:

You're right. He's turning into SOD waffling on about the future while the ship is sinking. It's just an attempt to divert attention away from the fundamental point that the first team is massively underperforming NOW. 

Unfortunately this seems to be the case. I like what the club have done investing in young players but there is plenty of ability in this squad to be sitting 10+ points above the bottom 3 who are quite poor. Something has to change. I wasn't there today but looking at stats and listening to it, sounded like we started the game defensive and that wasn't what LJ was all about when he got the job. The times I heard that the strikers were isolated with Paterson defending deep or two banks of 4 behind the ball. Or Lee Tomlin is too deep. The life is being sucked out of the squad it seems. Not playing the way they said would be played when they signed on. Can't sell players on a project then change how you play. I'd have never left 4-5-1 and I'd have never dropped Tomlin and Reid but now we've got 3 centre halves 2 holding midfielders and a full back. Only 4 attack minded players but two of those are asked to defend first with Paterson and Bryan. Djuric isn't much of a counter attacking threat. So it basically leaves Tammy to do everything. 

1 hour ago, OddBallJim said:

Ok Lee, but it begs the question WHY ARE WE REBUILDING?

League 1 Champions and Football League Trophy Winners. Yes, the squad needed strengthening post SC, but this was never a total rebuild project. To make such a statement is frankly astonishing and demonstrates that you have completely misjudged the squad, the ambition of the club and your abilities as a coach/manager.

Baffled by this comment!

We were 5th in the table after about 10 games, why would we need to rebuild at that time?. It's a mess that he has created himself, his chopping and changing of players and formations has unsettled everything when he could of left things as they were.

2 minutes ago, petehinton said:

Blaming the players is the worst thing the could've done. Indeed any manager could've done. He also said to the players "you're the ones that've broken this record" - incredible arrogance. 

To be fair he does need 3 transfer windows...

deluded, sadly in this day and age the players will get him out if they want to

8 minutes ago, OddBallJim said:

I'm firmly in the minority here but I was never impressed by Matthews, last season or this. Flattered to deceive imo and now he's turned out to be about as much use as Tony Dinning was...

Fully agree re. Matthews......

also big misgivings about Gary oneil .... Out injured again for 2 weeks ?

6 minutes ago, Sparkz 76 said:

Why do none of the journalist ever ask him questions about his future  and just let him let his bullshit flow. I think we need the guy that sent SOD hand waving and walking out

The one question I would ask is 'So what is suddenly magically going to change?' Then challenge all the cliches that will follow until I got the only honest answer a struggling manager can really give: 'I don't know, I just hope it does'. Fat chance of course.:shifty:

10 minutes ago, Mendip City said:

For me this was LJ's version of SOD's "stupid question" moment. 

I Thought exactly the same.

Although Lee is likeable character who needs to go for his own sake as well as the club's.

SOD on the other hand was an unlikable, ignorant, arrogant, contrary SOD.

Just now, City37 said:

I Thought exactly the same.

Although Lee is likeable character who needs to go for his own sake as well as the club's.

SOD on the other hand was an unlikable, ignorant, arrogant, contrary SOD.

Agree 100%. 

Especially the "for his own sake". LJ has worked hard but nothing's working... I think it's too personal for him and I'm not sure that's healthy for him (or the club). 

If he goes now he's still the bloke who helped keep us up....if he stays much longer I fear a far less positive legacy. 

1 minute ago, Mendip City said:

Agree 100%. 

Especially the "for his own sake". LJ has worked hard but nothing's working... I think it's too personal for him and I'm not sure that's healthy for him (or the club). 

If he goes now he's still the bloke who helped keep us up....if he stays much longer I fear a far less positive legacy. 

Exactly. If he resigns now he won't be the man who lost 9/10/11 league games on the trot. 

21 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

Rebuilding whilst clubs like Barnsley on 9K supporters come up from League 1 and p1$$ all over us. What about Preston.....again smaller crowd and benefactor than us and completely p1$$1ng all over us. Burton, haven't got a pot to p1$$ in at this level and we find ourselves a massive rwo points ahead of them. Not having rebuilding as an excuse. Appoint a Manager who knows the game and see how much "rebuilding" you have to do then.....one rebuild will be enough.

That's the frustrating bit for me....that clubs who've come up have performed better than us with significantly less resources.  You could sort of expect Barnsley and PNE fans to be giving the sort of excuses we are giving.  Not meant to be disparaging of either club, I'm not throwing in the bigger club, just a current resources argument....feel free to disagree.

The final sentence is the key....we need a manager who knows the game.  Our manager knows the handbook, but is struggling to turn that into practical, because he has no managerial experience to fall back on, nor was he more than an average player at this level.  An inexperienced manager like Monk has better playing pedigree, which allows him to cover his managerial inexperience (my view anyway).

Without speaking ill of Graham Taylor - he had great experience as a club manager, which is why he did well at club-level.  But the step up to international management was an unknown for him, and I think it was a challenge having to deal with top players when you've not been there.

Of course the above is not a rule, there have been examples.

34 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

I agree he's using it as an excuse. Just pointing out it is also reality. He's using it as a crutch though and that's not right. We weren't rebuilding to the extent of losing this many in a row. 

Archived