IGNORED

Players are still playing for the manager

allyolly

Just now, MarcusX said:

was a big thread on here, and a few "ITKs" confirmed that something was said along the lines of "if you take me off I'll knock you out"

Not sure how they obtained that info.

As for going behind LJs back I think that seems to be quite common knowledge around the club as quite a few on here are aware of it and I've been told it by someone who coaches one of the youth teams.

he said, she said, people like to make stuff up. I can't believe SL is taking any of it seriously or he wouldn't be backing lee now, I hear stuff like it every day at work and half the time it's me who's making it up. :laugh:.

On 1/21/2017 at 18:22, Portland Bill said:

The biggest factor in making the "difficult" decision is we have lost 8 games in a row. 

Whether the players are playing for him is irrelevant, managers are judged on results and possibly the resources that have given to get these results. Unfortunately for LJ, he has been given all the help needed.

90% of managers in the Championship must look on with envy at the money LJ has spent on players. 

Forest made the difficult decision a couple of weeks ago in sacking their manager, their managerless side was still capable of beating us!

70% maximum, which is the percentage of teams who have actually spent less than us....some only by a million or so.  

And I doubt all of those 70% have any level of envy felt towards LJ's signings in any way shape or form, so maybe 50% of the managers tops (perhaps), but that's not as sensational a sound-bite I guess..

On 21/01/2017 at 17:56, allyolly said:

Observing their reactions and looks of devastation when we've lost I don't see any sign that the players are not giving their all for our club and Lee Johnson. I think they still have belief and are totally behind him. That to me will be a far bigger factor in SL's mind when making any difficult decisions. 

If you wanna see what a real look of devastation looks like, you should see my ugly mug whenever we lose.

As for having a reaction - the straitjacket gets put on, family members get their tasers ready, and the Rottweilers are released to subdue me.

54 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Just a thought....aren't our players good enough to go out with little tactical intervention, other than their positions and who picks up who on set-pieces, to have not lost 8 on the spin.

Tactics isn't everything....is it?

They are Dave but footballers are happy to hide behind any excuses they're gifted

Not saying ours are or aren't , but it happens

On 23/01/2017 at 15:04, shelts said:

Does it look like the players are busting a gut for our beleaguered manager.....would you if you didn't like him or he'd rollocked you or he was gonna get sacked or you was on massive wages so didn't care?

Nope. They arent chasing down, harrying, hassling. 

Theyre not busting anything. 

I dont believe theyre not trying, just not trying hard enough!

i hear the 'it hurts to lose' comments frequently yet i dont see the fight in them that shows they care enough. 

2 minutes ago, nickolas said:

Nope. They arent chasing down, harrying, hassling. 

Theyre not busting anything. 

I dont believe theyre not trying, just not trying hard enough!

i hear the 'it hurts to lose' comments frequently yet i dont see the fight in them that shows they care enough. 

Can do more . Will they?

Too many changes game after game, if the players don't know what's going on, seems the manager plays the game in his own head, but has no idea how to put it over to the players. Why not let the players play in the positions they grew up with and play the game they know! 

Observing their reactions and looks of devastation when we've lost I don't see any sign that the players are not giving their all for our club and Lee Johnson. I think they still have belief and are totally behind him. That to me will be a far bigger factor in SL's mind when making any difficult decisions. 

I'd have to disagree there. Players are hardly going to show public joy when LJ falls one step closer to the axe.

They are definitely giving their all, for the club, team, fans, and LJ, but I don't think that means they are totally behind him. They are doing what they are told but I don't believe their heart is with LJ. That's quite a big difference. I've worked in many places where the manager was a twit but I worked as hard and as well as I could, for the sake of the company, my colleagues and my self-respect. 

22 minutes ago, exAtyeoMax said:

They are definitely giving their all, for the club, team, fans, and LJ, but I don't think that means they are totally behind him. They are doing what they are told but I don't believe their heart is with LJ. That's quite a big difference. I've worked in many places where the manager was a twit but I worked as hard and as well as I could, for the sake of the company, my colleagues and my self-respect. 

Agree with this.  I don't see them not trying.

LJ may have the players respect on a personal and possibly professional level.  They probably like the guy.  He is very likeable.  Despite my criticism of him I like the guy.  They may think his philosophy is good (how many of them praised him/the club when they signed).  But putting it into practice is another matter.  And you can have all the big ideas in the world.  But if you cant back it up with action then it means nothing.

I personally think the players are confused with LJs tactics, formations etc.  Which has led to them going out scared, uncertain, untrusting (now) in his methods perhaps, which is why we're on this pathetic run.  

Count me as someone else who believes the players are trying - it's an easy excuse to say they're not. @cityloyal473 is spot on - the issue is players that are trying but don't believe in or understand the tactics, so it's impossible for them to give 100% even if they wanted to.

I have a feeling the more cynical among the players may know very well where the line is between what is their responsibility and what will be the failings of the tactics, and so are "playing to instructions", even if those limit them from doing very much out of the ordinary. 

Mark Little is my yardstick here - one thing you couldn't accuse him of is not trying or running himself into the ground, and yet he has also looked like he is just playing the only game he knows, because he seems to be doing things everyone else has been instructed not to.

6 hours ago, cummins17 said:

Can anyone actually quote what Lee Tomlin said to LJ which has been so strongly speculated? Can't find it anywhere 

I understood it was supposed to have been at the Huddersfield game, and someone on otib said it was witnessed by Hundreds of Hudds fans. I went on their forum and found the thread about us and couldn't see a single mention. Maybe it was somewhere else it allegedly happened?

On 21/01/2017 at 19:36, allyolly said:

Sacking a manager is pretty difficult if there are no obvious alternative choices to replace him. 

We already have Pembo who could fill the breech .

The whole idea of having ' coaches ' as opposed to the old fashioned ' manager'  was that any transition could be done without upsetting the whole applecart.

3 minutes ago, nickolas said:

Player power isnt it. Go through the motions, a couple more defeats sees LJ gone and then watch the extra motivation for the new manager. 

Seen it every year or two since ive been watching city in the last 25 years!

"New gaffer has come in and really shaken the place up, training is really enjoyable & the lads have responded brilliant"

(c) every player when every new manager comes in ever.

27 minutes ago, RegC said:

"New gaffer has come in and really shaken the place up, training is really enjoyable & the lads have responded brilliant"

(c) every player when every new manager comes in ever.

And new manager says, 'the lads aren't fit enough'

Those of us long in the tooth could write the scripts!

2 hours ago, nickolas said:

Player power isnt it. Go through the motions, a couple more defeats sees LJ gone and then watch the extra motivation for the new manager. 

Seen it every year or two since ive been watching city in the last 25 years!

Yes seen it all before . Sad but harsh reality of modern football and the power the players have . 

If this is the players PLAYING for him... what delights await us when they STOP.

"Happy clapper" apparently, only a few weeks back, trying my hardest to stick with him.. After Saturday and even worse Monday with the very depressing SL interview on BBC I have caved in.

Some permanent damage has been done now, I would imagine, and I can't believe he has anywhere near the belief required  from his squad of players to ever properly turn it around.

9 hours ago, AppyDAZE said:

If this is the players PLAYING for him... what delights await us when they STOP.

"Happy clapper" apparently, only a few weeks back, trying my hardest to stick with him.. After Saturday and even worse Monday with the very depressing SL interview on BBC I have caved in.

Some permanent damage has been done now, I would imagine, and I can't believe he has anywhere near the belief required  from his squad of players to ever properly turn it around.

Well that ruins the conspiracy theory that you were actually LJ I guess.

Archived