IGNORED

Just got back report (who cares)

Olé

Derek McInnes manager for 2012–13 season, Bristol City suffered a club record seven consecutive defeats. McInnes was sacked due to this run. Now Johnson has not only equaled this run but now beaten the consecutive defeats record but he is still in a job??? Bemused to say the least.

Nothing personal LJ but time for you to go, your losing the core fans and there is not much of a way back from that. :(

4 hours ago, Olé said:

If we can sign 9 more German players but most importantly a German manager, we might not get totally humiliated for the rest of the season.

I am wondering when the trickle of comments about finding another David Wagner would be become a steady flow. I would be very disappointed if it is not at least on the radar. Of course an open search would undermine our current boss so one has images of an ante room in MA's office where there is an enigma machine direct into the fatherland. We must assume something is up their sleeve because there is no way 2 wins, 1 draw and 15 losses is being simply left to chance. I mean that would be a scenario for the criminally insane. Lets start looking at all of the Bundesliga and Bundesliga 2 managers.

Back in the day after Cotts left I put up the poll on who we would want as a new manager and one was Jens Keller. At the time he was manager of Schalke 04 but is now with Union Berlin in Bundeliga 2. They currently lie 5th in the table. He has a 53% win rate across his career spanning 120 games.. a relative newbie like Johnson. Crucially he is 10 years older which for me is a much better age to be a manager in every way you can think of. I suggested over a year ago he would be a very worthwhile candidate that should be on City's radar. His stock has risen significantly since then. If we can prize away decent German players then this sort of fella comes like David Wagner; no player pre-conceived feelings or emotions. What I am saying is I am not sure Rowett is the ideal candidate. He strikes me as another Johnson albeit with a currently better record or so it would appear. Time and time again we see clubs promoted from the Championship by old hands or foreign coaches. If City cannot attract old hands or if SL or the MA type structure does not suit them then look overseas, look outside the box for a solution to BCFC's perennial Championship struggles. Keller may not be the answer but someone like him could very well be.

I really frown to myself talking such things when we currently have a manager but frankly I have drifted way beyond that now, on to a plateau where I can see clear skies appearing with all that has gone before it irrelevant and utterly predictable. Nice bloke is Lee from what little I know but so completely out of his depth it is hard to imagine. We all sighed a little on his appointment, a little or a lot underwhelmed, but we backed him believing the City powers that be knew what they were doing. That they had this cunning plan that Lee was, underneath that naïvety, the future of football management. Perhaps he is but just not now. I think the board got the timing wrong by about 2 years and this has set Lee's career back by the same amount. And City have wasted a season and £95 million because any new guy coming in will have all of next season to repair the damage. 

As you mentioned in the earlier part of your post Olé to have spent the amount of money this manager has spent and perform the way the team has highlights a clear deficiency in man-management. SOD, as many harp on about, may have been the worst in living memory but we have to remember he was tasked with clearing the dead wood and had little to spend. I look back on his tenure as one of clearing the decks for the likes of Cotts and now Lee so we do, in fact, owe him our thanks for doing that. 

On to Sheffield Wednesday with Lee then is it?

37 minutes ago, havanatopia said:

I am wondering when the trickle of comments about finding another David Wagner would be become a steady flow. I would be very disappointed if it is not at least on the radar. Of course an open search would undermine our current boss so one has images of an ante room in MA's office where there is an enigma machine direct into the fatherland. We must assume something is up their sleeve because there is no way 2 wins, 1 draw and 15 losses is being simply left to chance. I mean that would be a scenario for the criminally insane. Lets start looking at all of the Bundesliga and Bundesliga 2 managers.

Back in the day after Cotts left I put up the poll on who we would want as a new manager and one was Jens Keller. At the time he was manager of Schalke 04 but is now with Union Berlin in Bundeliga 2. They currently lie 5th in the table. He has a 53% win rate across his career spanning 120 games.. a relative newbie like Johnson. Crucially he is 10 years older which for me is a much better age to be a manager in every way you can think of. I suggested over a year ago he would be a very worthwhile candidate that should be on City's radar. His stock has risen significantly since then. If we can prize away decent German players then this sort of fella comes like David Wagner; no player pre-conceived feelings or emotions. What I am saying is I am not sure Rowett is the ideal candidate. He strikes me as another Johnson albeit with a currently better record or so it would appear. Time and time again we see clubs promoted from the Championship by old hands or foreign coaches. If City cannot attract old hands or if SL or the MA type structure does not suit them then look overseas, look outside the box for a solution to BCFC's perennial Championship struggles. Keller may not be the answer but someone like him could very well be.

I really frown to myself talking such things when we currently have a manager but frankly I have drifted way beyond that now, on to a plateau where I can see clear skies appearing with all that has gone before it irrelevant and utterly predictable. Nice bloke is Lee from what little I know but so completely out of his depth it is hard to imagine. We all sighed a little on his appointment, a little or a lot underwhelmed, but we backed him believing the City powers that be knew what they were doing. That they had this cunning plan that Lee was, underneath that naïvety, the future of football management. Perhaps he is but just not now. I think the board got the timing wrong by about 2 years and this has set Lee's career back by the same amount. And City have wasted a season and £95 million because any new guy coming in will have all of next season to repair the damage. 

As you mentioned in the earlier part of your post Olé to have spent the amount of money this manager has spent and perform the way the team has highlights a clear deficiency in man-management. SOD, as many harp on about, may have been the worst in living memory but we have to remember he was tasked with clearing the dead wood and had little to spend. I look back on his tenure as one of clearing the decks for the likes of Cotts and now Lee so we do, in fact, owe him our thanks for doing that. 

On to Sheffield Wednesday with Lee then is it?

I'm with you on looking at Germany at least as an option. Not being enamoured of so called 'big names' I don't see any outstanding candidates - Rowett was sacked in part because he was allegedly touting himself to other clubs, not a sign of good character imo. I get the sense also that he would want complete control, which he isn't going to get.

But then again with 'the people' apparently wanting rid of all those dreadful EU types, why would a German coach want to come here now when the political atmosphere is hostile? If things went badly the abuse would go to another level.

6 hours ago, Olé said:

Not sure why I'm even starting another thread, but at least people who are convinced Lee Johnson is a brilliant young coach being badly maligned by knee jerk reactions, can't accuse me of not thinking through this post after 2 hours on a train. Here is the considered comment.

What a total and utter shambles. Every week I'm forced to disbelieve what I see with my own eyes (Wolves, Ipswich) and think that I'm being unfair. Every actual game I see the same old rubbish from a team that has ZERO attacking plan or strategy and can't open up the opposition.

We played a very poor Forest team (everything we expected) and the pinnacle of our plan was to contain them. Compact, defensive. OKAY, we are on a terrible run, we are starting defensive first. It makes sense - no one questioned it. But that's ALL City did. That's what really hurts.

We had zero clue how to create a chance. We had zero shape worth attacking towards. We were a powder-puff attacking team against a set of players that were clearly far worse than ours and fans who were silent waiting for us to spank them. We're that bad, we just didn't bother.

I've been to every away game on this dreadful run and City fans are unbelievably supportive and positive and LJ is just mugging everyone off. Today everyone seemed to be okay with the compact defensive shape given our form, but quickly transpired we had no idea for attack.

As the game wears on and Forest's left winger (Ward) continually finds himself able to run at City players and do things, we realise how poor an attacking team we are - we can't do anything close to it. We are a punt upfield, occasionally a few passes, and a touch away from giving up.

It feels more and more like our genius of a City head coach isn't seriously taking part as an attacking force. We had two good chances all game (second half) - a ball that made it to Paterson beyond the far post that he put wide, and a great passing move from the right that was well cut out.

But those were miracles in of themselves. The way City setup, we may as well wear all white because Lee Johnson football involves surrendering all over the pitch and hoping to contain the opposition and (bizarrely) believing there might be a goal for us out of nothing but a punt.

Someone who has seen a lot more City games than me (and routinely positive) put it very well today in the away end - under McInnes and the other crap managers you went along feeling like you were there helping a terrible team, this is SO MUCH worse, £15m of signings and a manager who has not a clue.

I haven't really described much football, but there wasn't much! We were so devoid of tactics or ideas or desire, it was as bad as it gets. Forest pressed high up the pitch (something Fraud LJ claimed we'd do) and won the ball and ran at us. We punted it up to our strikers and hoped for a miracle.

When we changed the team and formation at half time it was YET ANOTHER example of LJ having no idea what his best combination is. O'Dowda actually caused a few problems (including our best chance) but Brownhill didn't repeat his recent form, including a FK we wasted with our keeper up!

Finally if anyone thought Tomlin is being hard done by, he came on, looked overweight, and managed nothing but a few terrible touches that gave the ball away in attacking positions. We clearly had zero plan for our record signing, he's a mess now and we are seeing his value diminished as a result.

This is YET ANOTHER game where we've lost to a very poor relegation candidate, and LJ says we are fine, and people on here say we're all negative. I really have no idea what more you need to see to know the manager is totally and utterly out of his depth. This performance was beyond hopeless.

Geifer 7

Wright 6

Flint 6

Magnusson 5

Little 4

Bryan 3 (he is getting worse and worse)

O'Neil 6

Hegeler 7 (he must wish he never joined us)

Paterson 4 (very poor)

Djuric 5 (worst game yet - but hardly is fault, we don't create width or crosses)

Abraham 5 (Chelsea must wish they had a recall, getting dragged down now)

Subs - O'Dowda 6, Brownhill 5, Tomlin 4

But we only lost by one?

26 minutes ago, chinapig said:

I'm with you on looking at Germany at least as an option. Not being enamoured of so called 'big names' I don't see any outstanding candidates - Rowett was sacked in part because he was allegedly touting himself to other clubs, not a sign of good character imo. I get the sense also that he would want complete control, which he isn't going to get.

But then again with 'the people' apparently wanting rid of all those dreadful EU types, why would a German coach want to come here now when the political atmosphere is hostile? If things went badly the abuse would go to another level.

I would strongly suggest politics has virtually zero bearing on any decision making on that level. The UK is, was and likely always will be the most open market in the world. If a player goes to work in a former Soviet satellite, Anjhi, or to the Chinese 'Super' League then a short skip across the channel will be the least of anybody's worries now or in the future. And perhaps you are buying into the leftist media agenda which is clearly to inflame the entire Brexit project whatever the consequences.

1 hour ago, TheCulturalBomb said:

It's not just 8 losses in a row it's 12 losses in 13, with a far better side than Derek Mcinnes or Steve Coterill had and just months ago we're in the top 6. 

12 losses in 13.

Losses are obviously a big, big part of it.  But for me and as equally important is the complete lack of shape, game plan.  We have look utterly disjointed all season.  We are poor to watch.  Slow, laborious. Turgid. Afraid to give games ago.  Concerned more about the opposition's strengths than we are our own. That negativity has to feed to the players. That stems from one person.  Johnson out.

48 minutes ago, havanatopia said:

I would strongly suggest politics has virtually zero bearing on any decision making on that level. The UK is, was and likely always will be the most open market in the world. If a player goes to work in a former Soviet satellite, Anjhi, or to the Chinese 'Super' League then a short skip across the channel will be the least of anybody's worries now or in the future. And perhaps you are buying into the leftist media agenda which is clearly to inflame the entire Brexit project whatever the consequences.

Shouldn't get into a political debate but the PM herself has concluded that the referendum was about controlling EU immigration and has decided to exit the single market to do so, notwithstanding the risks. Only the Lib Dems are seriously opposing her position so it will get through the Parliamentary vote she is now promising.

I nevertheless expect certain categories will get special treatment, eg those who work in the City (London not BCFC!) and technology industries. Football might be another, especially if the Premier League wants it. The Russell Group Universities are up in arms about the loss in revenue from foreign students and farmers may have to find UK citizens to pick fruit on the other hand.

But the market will be less open than it was or the objective will not have been achieved and 'the people ' will be angry. I use the phrase tongue in cheek because history suggests that those who claim to be speaking for the people, whether of the left or right, should be treated with suspicion.

And there are intelligent commentators on left and right - albeit they are in the minority - I pay attention to and I fact check politicians' claims. I don't buy into anybody's agenda.

Nevertheless the atmosphere is hostile to EU citizens, whipped up by parts of the media and some self serving politicians. I imagine any EU citizen will take that into account before moving here. I don't doubt that if LJ was both short and German the abuse from a minority would refer to the latter as much as the former.

Notice how I got back on topic by the skin of my teeth there?;)

9 hours ago, MattRSp95 said:

Must ask about the free kick they scored from... the GK is taking a lot of flak yet it didn't seem massively easy to get across and save (I know he didn't dive) 

What was the take on that anyone who went? 

Absolutely no chance. It wasn't clear to me at the time - or from the reply that I saw due to the angle  - that the keeper wasn't ready or was filling with his boots or whatever but it would not have made a difference.

it was an exceptional free kick and, because the lad flicked it up and the keeper's view of that was blocked by the wall and it happened in a split second anyway, he ended up facing a volley rather than a free kick and it came in at an angle and speed that could take have been expected had it been kicked from the ground. The result being a fast dipping shot to a low position that the keeper would have expected the wall should have had covered. Any keeper saving that would certainly be the best save I had ever seen at a football match.

3 hours ago, havanatopia said:

I don't want to get into a political discussion but it is reasonable to assume that voting for a massive political change will bring consequences, some perhaps good and some perhaps bad. If nothing was going to change there would have been no point having a Referendum and no point people voting.

For example it is highly conceivable the rules for bringing footballers from the EU to play in Britain will become the same rules for a player from elsewhere. That would mean players can only get a work permit if they were regular internationals for a significant international side or the club could demonstrate they were likely to become a significant talent who would justify an exception. It is unlikely Hegeler, Giefer or Kodjia would have got work permits under that system. Even a player like Dmitri Payet might not have qualified.

9 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Out of interest did both Little and O'Neil look to be carrying injuries in the lead-up to half-time to warrant their substitution?  I'm not trying to be controversial, but we've made lots of half-time subs this season.  The injuries seemed convenient today, but I may be taliking sh1te.

No idea if injured but Little looked unfit and perhaps even as though his head wasn't in the game. He was consistently hanging back rather than challenging for the ball and looked woefully out of shape and out of sorts. LJ had no choice but to substitute him and, although we conceded in the second half, we looked a better team once the subs were made...

I'm with you on the German thing. What would Klinsmann cost*? I'm sure he would like to manage in England (although his CV would suggest he could start by managing in the Prem if that Greek guy at Hull can)

*please note I am aware sarcasm does not translate well in written text. I am aware we could not attract Klinsmann but i do agree with that Jens Keller shout earlier in the thread. 

4 hours ago, Port Pete said:

But we only lost by one?

:clapping:When I said "I'm forced to disbelieve what I see with my own eyes and think that I'm being unfair" this is EXACTLY what I mean. I've been scolded regularly that we're so close in so many games. "We only lost by onehas been the excuse for months now. It's possibly the laziest argument in the history of OTIB and so bizarre because anyone who actually watches the games wouldn't bat an eyelid to point out the reason it's one goal is because we are a contain first team that doesn't try to set the tempo or win the game. You know within 15 minutes of a game starting when it's going to be a game we'll lose by the odd goal. It is a slow miserable death. It should come as no surprise to anyone who see us that we lose by just one, and going "we only lost by one" and having the idea (particularly away from home) that we're somehow on the cusp of scoring the two goals that it would take to reverse the scoreline, is utterly laughable.

5 hours ago, chinapig said:

Slightly off topic, but I've not witnessed a scyntilla of hostility since the referendum. Anecdotal, but there you go.

I think a lot of 'hate' crimes are in the fevered imaginations of Guardian reading zealots.

We could easy attract a boche manager (!)

10 minutes ago, Olé said:

:clapping:When I said "I'm forced to disbelieve what I see with my own eyes and think that I'm being unfair" this is EXACTLY what I mean. I've been scolded regularly that we're so close in so many games. "We only lost by onehas been the excuse for months now. It's possibly the laziest argument in the history of OTIB and so bizarre because anyone who actually watches the games wouldn't bat an eyelid to point out the reason it's one goal is because we are a contain first team that doesn't try to set the tempo or win the game. You know within 15 minutes of a game starting when it's going to be a game we'll lose by the odd goal. It is a slow miserable death. It should come as no surprise to anyone who see us that we lose by just one, and going "we only lost by one" and having the idea (particularly away from home) that we're somehow on the cusp of scoring the two goals that it would take to reverse the scoreline, is utterly laughable.

I think the "only by a goal" argument would only hold any kind of water if we we're looking at every game being an Alamo-esk situation for our opposition, with the inference that all we needed to tip the balance was for our luck to turn, and the torrent of clear chances to turn into goals.

But that patently isn't the case.

Yes; there have been occasions where we've generated more opportunities than our rivals, but not frequently, and not necessarily better clear ones.  Yesterday seems to be one such occasion.

Even last season we might have got popped four nil at Derby, but we were able to pick up draws on a few occasions, despite our terrible form.

We're not just unlucky, we're not 'nearly there; we're in serious trouble.

14 minutes ago, Mike Hunt-Hertz said:

Slightly off topic, but I've not witnessed a scyntilla of hostility since the referendum. Anecdotal, but there you go.

I think a lot of 'hate' crimes are in the fevered imaginations of Guardian reading zealots.

Sadly a lot of people I know who are non-British EU citizens have. I don't think it's masssive, and I certainly think most people who voted Leave would condemn any such behaving, but sadly the hostility is there and has increased. We live in interesting times.

17 minutes ago, Mike Hunt-Hertz said:

I refer to political atmosphere rather than any crimes. 

Police figures certainly show a spike in reported hate crimes post referendum but correlation is not causation and as I think the Home Office said it could be down to people being more willing to report and/or better recording by the police.

Iirc the Home Secretary condemned any such attacks and said there was no place for them in this country. I imagine she is more Daily Telegraph than Guardian and the latter and the Financial Times both reported the same as the Guardian and Independent. I'm not sure either can be said to have fevered imaginations.:shifty: I disregard the tabloid press as I don't read them, though it's hard to avoid the more unpleasant stuff that leaks out.

Though the Guardian has the best intelligent football coverage and the best podcast imo. Does that get me back on topic?:whistle:

End of political stuff from me.

11 hours ago, Tom Fleuriot said:

I'm interested, and thanks for the report. Any chance of a little more on Giefler? Looks like a decent score. 

He had no chance with the goal, if anyone says otherwise they're simply wrong.

He looked good, claimed quite a few crosses comfortably and punched when well when under pressure. He made one very good reflex save and another through on goal save from Assombalonga. He shanked one kick but apart from that there was actually evidence of him trying to pick players out with his kicks rather than just aimless punts forward which was nice...

I agree with everything else the op says apart from Magnusson would probably get a 4. Worst performance I've seen from him, his passing is usually alright but yesterday his success rate must have been about 10%.

1 minute ago, chinapig said:

I refer to political atmosphere rather than any crimes. 

Police figures certainly show a spike in reported hate crimes post referendum but correlation is not causation and as I think the Home Office said it could be down to people being more willing to report and/or better recording by the police.

Iirc the Home Secretary condemned any such attacks and said there was no place for them in this country. I imagine she is more Daily Telegraph than Guardian and the latter and the Financial Times both reported the same as the Guardian and Independent. I'm not sure either can be said to have fevered imaginations.:shifty: I disregard the tabloid press as I don't read them, though it's hard to avoid the more unpleasant stuff that leaks out.

Though the Guardian has the best intelligent football coverage and the best podcast imo. Does that get me back on topic?:whistle:

End of political stuff from me.

I read it online, frequently. Some of the BTL commentary is beyond parody though.

Apparently if you refer to someone as a "naughty Pole", they can decide it is a 'hate' crime? Which kind of devalues it's currency, I would say.

But hey ho, I have no great feelings either way.

4 minutes ago, Carey 6 said:

Saw a tweet yesterday from a Huddersfield fan. Awful. 

IMG_5862.PNG

Letting teams leapfrog us is a trick we've repeated several times recently; Brentford, Wolves, Ipswich, Cardiff and now Forest.

We've not been getting beat by the top sides (Reading excluded) but by fellow lower-midtable teams.

It's too depressing for words.

35 minutes ago, samo II said:

Letting teams leapfrog us is a trick we've repeated several times recently; Brentford, Wolves, Ipswich, Cardiff and now Forest.

We've not been getting beat by the top sides (Reading excluded) but by fellow lower-midtable teams.

It's too depressing for words.

I believe Forest hadn't won since the start of December. This was the teams (comfortably) 23rd and 24th in the form table, and on an attacking basis there was not a lot in it. There was no attempt to go for the jugular in such circumstances, Forest did, we had no attacking idea. For this alone LJ should go.

For the past month I've made a point not to watch his interviews because it would just annoy me, but I've just accidentally read his comments on the BBC report and it's embarrassing. "We were good in the second half and had a couple of chances we needed to take." 

We had two chances. One was cut out before anyone actually shot, and the other was Paterson beyond the far post from the edge of the box. This is Johnson all over. He seems to be satisfied with how few chances we're creating because one is all he needs to feel we're unlucky.

It was comical how the Forest fans turned up expecting to lose prior to their protest against Fawaz, sat silently throughout expecting to lose and then couldn't believe their luck with how poor we were. This was their own day of execution and they couldn't believe their luck.

I think someone else made this point last night, but it was the type of game where 0-0 would have flattered both teams! As it was, the team 23rd in the form table at least went at us a few times and deserved to win for doing so, because the team 24th in the form table still had no idea.

5 minutes ago, Olé said:

I believe Forest hadn't won since the start of December. This was the teams (comfortably) 23rd and 24th in the form table, and on an attacking basis there was not a lot in it. There was no attempt to go for the jugular in such circumstances, Forest did, we had no attacking idea. For this alone LJ should go.

For the past month I've made a point not to watch his interviews because it would just annoy me, but I've just accidentally read his comments on the BBC report and it's embarrassing. "We were good in the second half and had a couple of chances we needed to take." 

We had two chances. One was cut out before anyone actually shot, and the other was Paterson beyond the far post from the edge of the box. This is Johnson all over. He seems to be satisfied with how few chances we're creating because one is all he needs to feel we're unlucky.

It was comical how the Forest fans turned up expecting to lose prior to their protest against Fawaz, sat silently throughout expecting to lose and then couldn't believe their luck with how poor we were. This was their own day of execution and they couldn't believe their luck.

I think someone else made this point last night, but it was the type of game where 0-0 would have flattered both teams! As it was, the team 23rd in the form table at least went at us a few times and deserved to win for doing so, because the team 24th in the form table still had no idea.

Think it's simpler than that Ole

IMO he continually tries to appear over the cracks obvious chasms with ............

Bull***t

12 minutes ago, Olé said:

I only listened on the radio, but even the atmosphere was flat, with an undercurrent of mumbling being the most notable aspect, so can believe that the Forest fans were not in the best spirits.  Am sure they feel a bit better now.

I just cannot understand who LJ thinks he's kidding now.  He's had a full year with the players he inherited, half a season with the players he bought this summer, and had some seemingly box-fresh reinforcements just in the door - if the problem is his philosophy and/or methods are not bedding in, then he needs to look inwards, and stop saying nonsense about finding % points from players due to cutting out midnight snack or some other rubbish.

That he cannot raise the side to go after a team in as bad form and fettle as Forest, even after saying "we have to go for the win" in his press conference this week, then we are lost.  

I'd have preferred us to lose 3-1, having gone down swinging trying to out score another low on confidence side.

Instead it sounds like we were insipid, and it is telling that yesterday even Rotherham had more shots on target than us in their mauling at Newcastle.

Archived