IGNORED

Why Gary Rowett?

MigratedRobin

3 minutes ago, Mike Hunt-Hertz said:

He took over a club who had just lost 8-0 at HOME ( Christ, even we are not that bad), stabilised them, and got them to a safe position in the Championship. Even when they fired him, they were about 6th(?)

Like KingLear has said, he took over a pretty decent squad and stabilised them, I would say despite their off field troubles they had a squad more than capable of doing better. Johnson took over a decent L1 squad which was threadbare.

Just now, Emperor Palpatine said:

Like KingLear has said, he took over a pretty decent squad and stabilised them, I would say despite their off field troubles they had a squad more than capable of doing better. Johnson took over a decent L1 squad which was threadbare.

Like the Blues, we have a pretty decent squad (on paper). Why can't he replicate that with us?

1 minute ago, Emperor Palpatine said:

The highlighted part, lets be honest so did Johnson

Very true.

But I think it is disingenuous to compare anything else - Rowett took Burton into two playoff campaigns in League Two, and left them competing at the top of the same division, then at Birmingham twice finished tenth, and was fired despite having them in an even higher position this year - and it seems to bare out his influence somewhat that they've faded under Zola since then.

LJ and Rowett seem to hold at least element of similar philosophy about the game, but it is fair to say that the latter has achieved more tangible results with fewer resources, hence the 'hype' around him.

I don't know who might be the answer post-LJ; all I know is that we've reached a point where any possible anaylsis suggests he is a factor in our failure, and that our failure is significant.

Change is needed, as hard as that might be.

9 minutes ago, Emperor Palpatine said:

LJ didn't really mess with what Pemberton started last season. The turning point came under Pemberton not LJ.

This season hLJ has changed things around and it hasn't worked. Plus you wonder what effect Dean Holden has had because this run of results does correspond with his time at the club.

The reality is that LJ has had more money to spend on players than any previous manager or head coach has been given, yet he still can't out together a winning team & formation. That is the most damning part of all when considering our current position.

Just now, samo II said:

Very true.

But I think it is disingenuous to compare anything else - Rowett took Burton into two playoff campaigns in League Two, and left them competing at the top of the same division, then at Birmingham twice finished tenth, and was fired despite having them in an even higher position this year - and it seems to bare out his influence somewhat that they've faded under Zola since then.

LJ and Rowett seem to hold at least element of similar philosophy about the game, but it is fair to say that the latter has achieved more tangible results with fewer resources, hence the 'hype' around him.

I don't know who might be the answer post-LJ; all I know is that we've reached a point where any possible anaylsis suggests he is a factor in our failure, and that our failure is significant.

Change is needed, as hard as that might be.

Surely Rowetts dismissal was more about the owners change of direction and wanting a so called 'big name'. He was hard done by but that can be nature of the beast.

I was under the impression that he was backed at Burton (not at our level of course) while Johnson was barely backed at Oldham but did a decent enough job given the circumstances, not sure about Barnsley in terms or resources but he did lead them to a cup final at least..

I was bemused with today that we were so negative and for the first time made me question whether he can turn it around, I'd want him to succeed still because if he does then the club succeeds of course. If he were to go and Rowett comes in, he'll get my full support regardless. I just don't think he's more or less impressive than LJ

3 minutes ago, Dr Balls said:

LJ didn't really mess with what Pemberton started last season. The turning point came under Pemberton not LJ.

This season hLJ has changed things around and it hasn't worked. Plus you wonder what effect Dean Holden has had because this run of results does correspond with his time at the club.

The reality is that LJ has had more money to spend on players than any previous manager or head coach has been given, yet he still can't out together a winning team & formation. That is the most damning part of all when considering our current position.

But LJ carried on the good work from that Pembo initially started.

Tbf and in LJ's defence he had a fairly good record at this level before the abysmal run, maybe you're correct about Holden.

2 minutes ago, Emperor Palpatine said:

Tisdale has done a pretty decent job at Exeter given the circumstances.

Think if City want to push forward, maybe they should look at what Reading have done by appointing someone like Stam or someone off the continent

At League 2 level. Let's hope we don't make the same mistake again. Yeah, maybe go continental.....someone who speaks the lingo...Dutch/ Scandinavian.

Just now, Emperor Palpatine said:

Surely Rowetts dismissal was more about the owners change of direction and wanting a so called 'big name'. He was hard done by but that can be nature of the beast.

I was under the impression that he was backed at Burton (not at our level of course) while Johnson was barely backed at Oldham but did a decent enough job given the circumstances, not sure about Barnsley in terms or resources but he did lead them to a cup final at least..

I was bemused with today that we were so negative and for the first time made me question whether he can turn it around, I'd want him to succeed still because if he does then the club succeeds of course. If he were to go and Rowett comes in, he'll get my full support regardless. I just don't think he's more or less impressive than LJ

Just to cover the two bold points;

Yes; I think Burton did support their managers well for the league two and possibly league one levels, hence their swift rise.  

But as we are going someway to pointing out right now; money doesn't buy you success - how you use what you buy (or in some cases are bought) with it is important.  And in reaching a playoff semi final, then final, then starting another season as promotion contenders shows; Rowett clearly can use his resources wisely.

Equally; he absolutely did not have the equivalent level of backing at this level, but helped form a selling club in bad financial shape into a tough to beat unit who twice finished closer to the playoffs than relegation, and seemingly was heading in a similar direction again.

I'm not understanding the dismissal of him as being the same as LJ in terms of experience; by saying "what has he achieved?" then when pointing out it is the type of stability we crave at this level and in less than ideal scenarios, saying LJ didn't have the same opportunity is patently wrong.

LJ has been backed significantly since the laudable achivemnt of keeping us up.  But since that point we have become a worst side, based off the only metric that  really counts; league form.

It is hard to say LJ hasn't been a factor in this; we've invested in playing staff, we've had him implement his training approach (drones etc), he's has now a whole summer and first half of a season to implement his philosophy.

But we are now as bad as we were this time last year, and while I wish we weren't, and the investment in him had paid off; it clearly has not.

We're back to desperately attempting to avoid relegation, and for me that means he is not the answer.  

He's clearly a major factor in whatever is wrong, and ultimately the buck stops with him.

9 hours ago, Up The City! said:

If this is the alternative I'd rather stick with LJ. 

Said with the greatest of respect; this seems an odd position for me, not becaue of Rowett being any guarantee of success you understand, but because of how abject we currently are.

We're almost beyond the case of trying to get someone 'better'; we just someone else.

It would be a disaster if after all the investment in the Gate, and also the (seemingly) impressive recruitment that we slide back to League One because the team cannot pick up points.

SL/MA must be ruthless now; Rowett, Jackett, even Pembo till we find our man - doesn't matter.  LJ's way is failing and we have to act.

We need to stop appointing "novice" managers. The job is too big for them... Rowett is LJ mark II. We need an experienced manager and one who has a winning track record. I know that fans like a new name but we need a manager who has the experience of this league and if possible the Premier League... It is only once in a blue moon that a novice comes in and does the business....

6 minutes ago, Roger Red Hat said:

What's Rosler's record at this level?

Team From To Record Ref
G W D L Win %
Lillestrøm 1 November 2004 13 November 2006 55 24 16 15 43.64
Viking 22 November 2006 18 November 2009 89 37 24 28 41.57
Molde 30 August 2010 31 December 2010 8 6 2 0 75.00
Brentford 10 June 2011 7 December 2013 136 60 40 36 44.12
Wigan Athletic 7 December 2013 13 November 2014 55 22 16 17 40.00
Leeds United 20 May 2015 19 October 2015 12 2 6 4 16.67
Fleetwood Town 30 July 2016 Present 36 15 11 10 41.67
Total 391 166 115 110

7 minutes ago, Roger Red Hat said:

What's Rosler's record at this level?

See below.  Note that he took Wigan to the playoffs while there.

He also has a total of nearly 400 games in management, having extensive experience in Scandinavia - including both reaching cup finals and achieving high league finishes, as well as short term 'patch up' gigs steering sides away from relegation.

He is one of a number of potentials were LJ to leave who I think would prove interesting choices; he certainly would command respect, based off what is written about his management style.

IMG_2974.PNG

what have most managers achieved not much .keeping burton up and on an upward curve an achievement.turning around and keeping Birmingham up an achievement.only a small percentage of managers have playoff qualification or winning things on their cv. Survival and putting a club in the right direction.is a achievement.Kenny Jackett for example solid job at Wolves keeping them solid mid table. No better with big names more money .Mick McCarthy at Ipswich no money solid midtable that's an achievement.maybe being pragmatic and a solid midtable position is an achievement.would be from where we are now

11 hours ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

Me I would go for Uwe Rosler, he has a decent record.

And him and dopey Darryl don't get on.

I'd take Dopey over LJ, he's got 2 successive promotions under his belt an illiterate, loud, thug so quite the opposite to LJ which may just work, plus we'd be taking him off the gas.

NURSE!!!!

1 hour ago, samo II said:

See below.  Note that he took Wigan to the playoffs while there.

He also has a total of nearly 400 games in management, having extensive experience in Scandinavia - including both reaching cup finals and achieving high league finishes, as well as short term 'patch up' gigs steering sides away from relegation.

He is one of a number of potentials were LJ to leave who I think would prove interesting choices; he certainly would command respect, based off what is written about his management style.

IMG_2974.PNG

Rosler is an interesting one, and don't think I'd be too worried about him coming here, but really his only achievement is getting Wigan to the play offs at this level. Where were Wigan when he left them? I think it's fair to say the Leeds thing is irrelevant considering the owner situation there.

13 hours ago, fgrsimon said:

Took over a club who had lost 0-8 at home in their last game, with the owner in jail, very little money, a couple of points above the relegation zone and turned them into a solid top 10 team, 7th when he left. I'd settle for that right now.

Ignore the win%, as others have said its meaningless because draws count against it. It's only meaningful if there are only 2 outcomes in a sport like Tenniis for example. His Championship points per game is considerably better than L.J's and that's what actually matters.

Plus we have to be realistic about who we can attract, I can't see any 'bigger' names being interested given we are plummeting towards L1.

Any ' bigger ' names will see themselves as the Messiah who would lead BCFC to the promised land .

Frankly, ours is a top gig . 

12 minutes ago, YorkshireSection said:

I'd take Dopey over LJ, he's got 2 successive promotions under his belt an illiterate, loud, thug so quite the opposite to LJ which may just work, plus we'd be taking him off the gas.

NURSE!!!!

I reluctantly give DC a lot of credit for what he has achieved at the Gas but I could not stand the man as our head coach .

1 hour ago, The Horse With No Name said:

Papers today saying that Michael Appleton is lined up to take over should LJ go. So that makes Rowett look an appealing option.

Wouldn't that just be so Mark Ashton! Really why don't they just spend the money and show City supporters that they are serious about our support and get us a manager worthy of the effort it takes to support this outfit ;-)

Archived