IGNORED

Why Gary Rowett?

MigratedRobin

14 hours ago, MigratedRobin said:

Please could anyone list this mans amazing managerial achievements!

All I can work out is 2 failed promotion bids with Burton including two 7-1 defeats and a stint with Birmingham before getting sacked!

We are all going on about him for one reason only......he's the only one available and nobody else in a job would leave to come to us

3 minutes ago, Poshtottie said:

Wouldn't that just be so Mark Ashton! Really why don't they just spend the money and show City supporters that they are serious about our support and get us a manager worthy of the effort it takes to support this outfit ;-)

This. 

Weve got a championship squad, in a championship fit ground, with premier league support and a manager who's downs league.

We really need to get in some quality that matches the rest of what we have, I don't think Ashton would want a relegation on his résumé so it's time to act now and accordingly, he's the HR & PR genius his next line up should be a flight to see the big boss and with a list of grade A candidates who can take this club onwards and upwards with a view to achieving what Bristol needs next, premier league football. 

1 hour ago, Roger Red Hat said:

Rosler is an interesting one, and don't think I'd be too worried about him coming here, but really his only achievement is getting Wigan to the play offs at this level. Where were Wigan when he left them? I think it's fair to say the Leeds thing is irrelevant considering the owner situation there.

I agree but he hasn't been at a club with a budget like ours, he IMHO is a realistic option.

As far as I can establish the only reason 'why GR' is because he is currently available. There is however nothing to suggest that he would be a good fit for us. 

Like many others I was underwhelmed by LJ's appointment. However, I expect us to stick with LJ, at least until the end of the season. I reach this conclusion due to (a) his willingness to accept the longer-term approach required by the Club (b) there being few other appropriate/capable managers who would buy into the longer-term philosophy (c) LJ becoming a better manager as he gains more experience (d) despite our current form the sense that we aren't actually a million miles away from progressing and (e) he has been enabled to recruit his players so he should be given the time/opportunity to work with them.

I do of course recognise that these are not necessarily compelling reasons for sticking with LJ and that many other fans have an opposing view.

4 hours ago, Jerseybean said:

As far as I can establish the only reason 'why GR' is because he is currently available. There is however nothing to suggest that he would be a good fit for us. 

Like many others I was underwhelmed by LJ's appointment. However, I expect us to stick with LJ, at least until the end of the season. I reach this conclusion due to (a) his willingness to accept the longer-term approach required by the Club (b) there being few other appropriate/capable managers who would buy into the longer-term philosophy (c) LJ becoming a better manager as he gains more experience (d) despite our current form the sense that we aren't actually a million miles away from progressing and (e) he has been enabled to recruit his players so he should be given the time/opportunity to work with them.

I do of course recognise that these are not necessarily compelling reasons for sticking with LJ and that many other fans have an opposing view.

Stick or twist? We have stuck it out for 3 months with no sign of any improvement any time soon. In fact we appear to be getting worse rather than better, losing to a procession of poor teams who are managing to leapfrog us up the table. At the same time, the new players will be quickly wondering what the hell they are doing here, while the rest already appear to have little or no confidence left.

So the answer has to be twist. Also Rowett's appointment allows for the best denouement to a season ever, where in the last match, we have to beat the club that somewhat unfairly sacked him, to stay up.

And the outcome? Well that depends very much on whether you believe that it's a Hollywood production or not. Unfortunately nothing else guarantees a happy schmaltzy ending with a promise of another season in the championship!

I am not advocating Rowett but his record at Birmingham is very respectable. He was there for a bit over two seasons and his points gathered per 46 games is just over 70 points. This with a club where he had little money to bring players in and also had to offload high earners.

Of those currently out of a job, he would appear to be the best. But what does an old pensioner know? Donald Duck couldn't do any worse than our current Head Coach.

21 hours ago, pjg11 said:

what have most managers achieved not much .keeping burton up and on an upward curve an achievement.turning around and keeping Birmingham up an achievement.only a small percentage of managers have playoff qualification or winning things on their cv. Survival and putting a club in the right direction.is a achievement.Kenny Jackett for example solid job at Wolves keeping them solid mid table. No better with big names more money .Mick McCarthy at Ipswich no money solid midtable that's an achievement.maybe being pragmatic and a solid midtable position is an achievement.would be from where we are now

I think these are good points. 

Presumably a top-class manager is not going to get the sack during his career, so how many managers in the EFL can say that?  Wenger?  Gardiola?  Almost every manager that is touted on here has failed at at least one club, so it seems the real point of changing manager is to get a refresh, before you dispense with that one and move on to someone else.  It is almost beginning to feel that it hardly matters who you appoint - UNLESS you go for the long haul and stand by someone, through thick or thin.  So, either we stay on the bandwagon of replacing a manager every year or two, or we try to build for the future, sticking with a manager even when we're doing badly. 

Archived