IGNORED

Steve Lansdown's "gut instinct" and some other quotes that might be of interest

Jack Dawe

13 hours ago, Engvall's Splinter said:

I don't dispute why SC was sacked. Results related ultimately which I agree. The character of Lansdowns appointments are what I'm referring too really. 

With past history, if Johnson was to go, it would most likely end up with Pemberton at the helm for an extended period, Millen returning or another likeable guy rather than one who's likely to drag us out the mire. 

This is because SL and the rest of the board want to do things their way, and to do so they need to hire someone that will do it this way.

The only manager that has been remotely successful, and actually our only manager (not head coach) since the GJ days is Cotterill, and the reason he was successful was because he was allowed to do things his way. He publicly stated that he didn't want to follow the three pillars, and he signed a number of older players alongside the youngsters we had picked up. Funnily enough, it took us from League 1 obscurity to walking the league. The last outspoken manager we had that worked to his own agenda  before Cotts? Gary Johnson.

This is why I don't want us to sack LJ. He's not the problem. The board is the problem. I don't trust our board to hire a capable manager, and until a solid Championship manager with experience in getting a side promoted AND an authoritarian side to them is available I think any change is a panicked one.

Hindsight is a marvellous thing, isn't it? And if we'd turned down LJ because of his lack of experience and he was still in charge of a Barnsley who are (I think) 8th, while we were struggling with <insert managers name here>, everyone would be raging because Lansdown hadn't been forward thinking enough

Undoubtedly something is not working with LJ and this football team right now. I'd rather the club keeps its head in the heat and now and trying to improve things (however that is achieved) rather than hand ringing and teeth gnashing about things that people may have said and thought a year ago

13 hours ago, EnclosureSurge said:

And if you read what I put earlier, I specified someone with long, successful football background. In no way does Lansdown's 20 years constitute a success. More than half his 20 years spent in the 3rd division, with all the money he has/he's sanctioned being spent? That's only success in a warped, backward Bristol way. 

And let's not start on what we've said before and raking over that. I think people would 'back me' for saying none of the club come out and say anything when things are like this. It's a fact. That one appearance by Lansdown listen to what he says and you can hear how stupid he is, frankly. "In many ways we've done ok. I think our players now have got the experience of being in the Championship". What, after less than half a season and in the bottom 3? Yes, Steve. He sounds like an infant talking about players - "we need a midfielder and you always need someone to stick it away in the back of the net" - he really should leave well alone. Thanks for the money, thanks for the unselfish help, but please let someone else have final say. His pedigree is poor.

)

Bristol City fans have by and large backed the direction Bristol City has been guided / taken over and merged into Bristol Sport. Mr Lansdown, forget the majority shareholder spiel is in control of everything, and is the that say. The projects any direction is his.

What is your alternative?

On 22/01/2017 at 19:02, Jack Dawe said:

So, Steve and Keith's gut instinct, that it might be "too soon" appears to have been correct. Worth listening to. But Lee "convinced" Steve and Keith otherwise, no surprise there, we have all - or many of us - been wowed by Lee's talk, and theory (less so by his practice). Interestingly though, on first meeting the press, on 8 Feb, Lee said:

Have we? I have always found his interviews tedious and full of boring cliches. It actually annoys me when he keeps saying 'like i said' referring to something he has said earlier in the interview and there is me often trying to test my own memory; usually i cannot remember him having said anything the same earlier, or at least rarely. 

Remarkable that SL and KD were wowed by him at interview. I am blown away such experienced business people were. I think if they were thinking 'do we or don't we' and then they made their final decision based on gut instinct it tells us that they may, just may, have made the biggest and most expensive blunder based on a bubbling stomach. 

50 minutes ago, havanatopia said:

Have we? I have always found his interviews tedious and full of boring cliches. It actually annoys me when he keeps saying 'like i said' referring to something he has said earlier in the interview and there is me often trying to test my own memory; usually i cannot remember him having said anything the same earlier, or at least rarely. 

Remarkable that SL and KD were wowed by him at interview. I am blown away such experienced business people were. I think if they were thinking 'do we or don't we' and then they made their final decision based on gut instinct it tells us that they may, just may, have made the biggest and most expensive blunder based on a bubbling stomach. 

No, t'other way round.

The OP's point is that Lansdown is on record as saying his gut instinct was telling him it was too early in Johnson's career to appoint him but he was persuaded otherwise by the candidate's gift of the gab (a family trait) at interview.

Whereas a clear-sighted, analytical understanding of:

* City's historic struggles at this level

* The type of manager who historically delivers success at this level (if all the talk of delivering Premiership football is to be taken seriously)

* Johnson's bang average managerial record

would have made it obvious that his gut instinct was correct. 

2 hours ago, Cowshed said:

Bristol City fans have by and large backed the direction Bristol City has been guided / taken over and merged into Bristol Sport. Mr Lansdown, forget the majority shareholder spiel is in control of everything, and is the that say. The projects any direction is his.

What is your alternative?

Forgive me, Cowshed, I'm just trying to make sure I get your question - what's the alternative to Bristol Sport? Lansdown? The project?

5 hours ago, EnclosureSurge said:

Forgive me, Cowshed, I'm just trying to make sure I get your question - what's the alternative to Bristol Sport? Lansdown? The project?

And all roads lead to Mr Lansdown.Bristol Sport, BCFC, Bristol City holdings is in effect Mr Lansdown.

What would your alternative be?  Different ownership models? Mr Lansdown acquiescence of control and influence? 

1 minute ago, Cowshed said:

And all roads lead to Mr Lansdown.Bristol Sport, BCFC, Bristol City holdings is in effect Mr Lansdown.

What would your alternative be?  Different ownership models? Mr Lansdown acquiescence of control and influence? 

My alternative is Lansdown leaves us his money and walks away or at least lets an experienced football person do what he's doing (whatever that is, money aside). We don't all have to love Lansdown unconditionally. I certainly don't.

Just now, EnclosureSurge said:

My alternative is Lansdown leaves us his money and walks away or at least lets an experienced football person do what he's doing (whatever that is, money aside). We don't all have to love Lansdown unconditionally. I certainly don't.

Mr Lansdown owns the stadium, there are loans of millions (twenty million?) to the FC repayable to Mr Lansdown ... It is hard to identify what us is as fan ownership of shares in all these tentacles is negligible.

There is a real case of fans have made this bed, which is why I asked the question of what the alternatives are.

2 hours ago, EnclosureSurge said:

Hmm I tend to agree.  I have posted more in the last few days than in months of being on this forum instead of just watching others but because it makes me want to burst now.  I have supported passionately this club for 39 years now.  The serfs cannot speak against the master of the kingdom it seems.  Well back in the day it didn't matter - we just screamed for the team. 

Steve Landsown has manipulated Bristol City FC into a corporate entity (that is Bristol Holdings trading as Bristol Sport) that he owns thus making him even richer in the long term. The club doesn't even own Ashton Gate anymore. £20m-30m whatever it is in the longer term is peanuts investment when you are in his position.  I cannot really take any more of the subservient 'where would we be without SL stuff' .  The cronyism has now exposed the real situation more than ever before to a wider audience.

Believe me we would still be a fantastic club and you cannot crystal ball what else may have occurred

Archived