IGNORED

Falling Out Of Love

Welcome To The Jungle

Get a grip! 

Rough with the smooth, and all that. 

We will have times far worse than things are now and we'll have times that are better. 

If you need constant success and stability for an easy ride, then supporting City will never give you that. Nor will supporting most football clubs. 

If you think we've got it bad, ask supporters of Rovers, Tranmere, Sheffield Utd, Coventry, amongst many others, how easy they've found the last 10 years. 

This is the time that supporters make their mark. Managers, players, owners, even stadiums, come and go. 

I won't take your "disaster" quote out of context, that's pointless, but many have seen us far worse off than we are now. Some have been lucky to experience better. 

Things are tough right now. Man up, stand by your club and the time, money &Clive that you've invested in and sooner or later you'll realise it was a rough patch. 

I don't envy clubs who are steeped in regular success. They are used to it and expectations only mean they can fail. 

Appreciate the highs, stay strong and take the lows on the chin. They make the good times so much better and of course, there will be good times again. 

CTID!

1 hour ago, Welcome To The Jungle said:

Sorry guys but this is a long one. But I've got some serious demons to get off my chest. This may just be my feeling now and by Saturday I'll re-evaluate but right now this is how I feel. Sorry if I offend anyone, I don't mean to but sometimes when writing it can be hard to explain my thoughts as clearly as I'd like so bear with me. But this will be controversial for many and feel free to call me a **** if you feel I'm being one. Hre goes:

Sometimes it takes a disaster like eight consecutive losses to really hit home how little I have in common with BCFC. As I left the Cardiff game two weeks ago I wondered why on earth I kept coming back? In the past the answer was simple. No matter what happened on the pitch, Bristol City was a huge part of my identity. If I met someone new it was one of the first things I'd tell them about myself, I was proud. The other reason I used to endure the punishment was the atmosphere, or more specifically the East End. But since the demolition of the East End the atmosphere, bar a few exceptions, has been very very poor. Too many times in the last few years you could hear a pin drop. So that just left the football, which is the worst I have experienced since I started following City in 2001. 

I was always cynical about Bristol Sport, not quite trusting it, but like many early cynics we went along with it, with the promise of a new stadium on the horizon. Now looking back I don't feel like I'm at Bristol City anymore. Firstly there is the issue of my seat, in the last few years I've been in the East End, the top of the Williams, one side of the Atyeo, the other side of the Atyeo and even now this does not feel like my seat, not like it did. 

Secondly I loathe that the pitch is covered in Rugby lines. Now I must make it clear that I love Bristol Rugby club and have been a ST holder in the past, as well as following them home and away in both the Premiership and the Championship. However when I look at the pitch, with those horrid green lines on, it feels like someone has been invited into your home and left skid marks down the toilet. Ultimately it isn't a big deal and you'll invite them again, but it takes any kind of shine off the whole place.

I used to love going the the Mem to watch Bristol, leaving the odd City sticker around. It was my second sporting home however I feel Bristol Sport are ruining the Rugby too. Firstly at the Rugby the same problem exists. There are football lines everywhere, which again makes the place look really untidy. The atmosphere at AG for rugby has also been poor (again bar a few exceptions), with the Blackthorn end noise all but gone. But my main gripe is that there is red on the Bristol home kit. Without making my language more colourful I can only describe this as a complete disgrace and is a massive poo on the history of the club. If someone slapped blue on our kits there'd be a riot. 

My final point of this relationship with the Rugby is Ashton Gate itself, which is no longer owned by Bristol City. How did we let this happen. Our home for over 100 years is no longer the property of Bristol City! What's worse is that it is becoming the Bristol Sport stadium more and more. In my opinion this is robbery. Robbed by a man who I find questionable at best.

Steve Lansdown may be a 'decent' for a football owner, but that is hardly the best of company. He seems to often be given the title of Bristol City's saviour, bailing us out every year from the losses he created through years of mismanagement. That's like someone punching you in the face then proving the first aid. I find this whole Bristol Sport experiment as nothing more than an ego trip for a bored rich man, still trying to impress his son with an 'executive toy'. What people often forget is that a football club is not the company, but the fans. If he left and the company 'Bristol City' folded then the club would rise again out of the Ashes. Rangers, Wimbledon, and Hereford are all clubs that have been re-born. And quite frankly I'd rather not be owned by a man who, whilst the Red Cross are intervening in our hospitals, decides that he doesn't need to pay all his tax. Legal or not, actively making an effort to pay less tax (unless you are struggling to get by) is just morally wrong. Lucky the country is so financially stable at the moment.

Finally The atmosphere. What can I say, other than modern football has caught up with Bristol City. Very little noise compared to even 10 years ago, even at the start of the season. Too many in the Atyeo are more concerned with calling corner takers 'bankers' to actually get behind the team. In almost every game this season, the loudest chants (with the exception of post goal delirium) are aimed at the opposition or Bristol Rovers. Arms crossed and silent is common place now. I don't want to tell people how to support, but to come in the Atyeo and make the same noise as a particularly lack luster corpse is baffling to me. Why are you there? 

I do apologise if I've offended anyone and I'd love to be put right as I don't want City to fall out my life. But right now I feel like I'm married to Bristol City where I love her but she doesn't love me back. We are the club (allegedly), but have no say in how it is run. And it is being run into the ground. SL wanted to copy Barcelona. What he forgets is Barcelona is owned by its fans...

I think what you describe, is modern sport in general, that gets to a certain level. You can still find what you want in lower league Clubs.

I watched the Fleetwood fans having a blast at the Gate...I bet they love following their Club whatever the results. What most people would have missed, was they were still chanting and banging their drum to an empty stadium, a good 10 mins after everyone had left.

It's the same for most 'modern' things these days though. Go to a gig, and unless it's something like the Fleece, regardless of the band playing, you are expected to sit in your seats and not create an atmosphere. Even then...would I go in the 'mosh pit' now...no...too old. I'd stand just in front of the sound tech's to get the best view and sound.

Modern life and rose tinted glasses do not go hand in hand I'm afraid.

I feel your pain.

Just now, Bar BS3 said:

Get a grip! 

Rough with the smooth, and all that. 

We will have times far worse than things are now and we'll have times that are better. 

If you need constant success and stability for an easy ride, then supporting City will never give you that. Nor will supporting most football clubs. 

If you think we've got it bad, ask supporters of Rovers, Tranmere, Sheffield Utd, Coventry, amongst many others, how easy they've found the last 10 years. 

This is the time that supporters make their mark. Managers, players, owners, even stadiums, come and go. 

I won't take your "disaster" quote out of context, that's pointless, but many have seen us far worse off than we are now. Some have been lucky to experience better. 

Things are tough right now. Man up, stand by your club and the time, money &Clive that you've invested in and sooner or later you'll realise it was a rough patch. 

I don't envy clubs who are steeped in regular success. They are used to it and expectations only mean they can fail. 

Appreciate the highs, stay strong and take the lows on the chin. They make the good times so much better and of course, there will be good times again. 

CTID!

The opening post is about far more than results. As somebody who was present v Millwall in 82 when ... Well if it was just about football I should have stayed at home realises.

The lad, bloke is posting about belonging.

57 minutes ago, Kotsy said:

I don't know where people keep getting this idea from.

Ashton Gate always has, and continues to be, owned by Ashton Gate Limited, who are wholly owned by Bristol City Holdings Limited. 

Don't let facts get in the way of your agenda though, any reason to have a pop at Bristol Sport right?

The big difference is that after 1982, no one person was allowed to own more than 25% of Bristol City Holdings. As directors came and went, they sold their shares to new directors; the club was passed on.

Now, a significant majority of the shares in Bristol City Holdings is owned by Steve Lansdown, indeed it was Steve who changed the rule which allowed him to build up this percentage ownership, by putting more money into the club and diluting the shareholdings owned by other shareholders.

That is a factual statement, and although as @Alessandro says in the post after yours, we will not know the impact of what Steve has done for many years, it is nevertheless, one contributory factor towards the feeling of alienation that many increasingly have.

I hear what you're saying OP.

Distance is a great healer and it has really put things into perspective for me.

From 1990 (at the age of 13) through to 2010 I was a season ticket holder. In January 2011 I moved to London for my career, and we have settled here with no plans to return. At the time I worried how I would cope without Bristol City in my life each week, and at the start it was very difficult seeing the results on the telly knowing I couldn't be there. For the first few years I made an effort to go to away games, but I made the conscious effort to stay away from home games because I knew it would be too difficult logistically to get there when I wanted. FWIW I don't go to any other football matches here in London.

6 years on, I have witnessed (from a distance) the 'double', the Rugby coming to AG (like you I was a season ticket holder to the rugby. but until Rovers moved in), the new stadium, many managers, and also the Bristol Sport issue. 

How do I feel now? I care, but in all honesty I'm a bit 'meh' to it all. The changes in recent years go against most of the things I liked about going to football, so in reality it's made the distance easier. This year I even switched off the BBC push notifications for Bristol City results.

It's not that I've fallen out of love. Bristol City will ALWAYS be my side. I still feel the disappointment or joy, and I still get angry/happy at the things that come our of the club, and I hope my Son (born in London) can in someway follow in my footsteps. But the distance has made it slightly less problematic and has really put how I truly feel about modern football into perspective. The changes at the club will happen with or without supporters like us. Football is changing, and in the grand scheme of things it means less and less to me. sure I would love to experience the new stadium, but I very much doubt I will ever get that 'buzz' back.

:)

15 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

The opening post is about far more than results. As somebody who was present v Millwall in 82 when ... Well if it was just about football I should have stayed at home realises.

The lad, bloke is posting about belonging.

Ah fair enough. 

I'll admit that I got bored and didn't read it all. 

Change happens. Without changes to keep us in line commercially, we may not have a club to support. 

I'm not saying it's all my cup of tea. Give me a Terrace and a brick wall to piss on and I'd be happy, but football is safer, more female & family friendly and "appealing" than it has been for decades. 

I know that means it's changed, but it's a myth that there is no atmosphere. Ashton gate is better than many other grounds. 

Different doesn't mean worse, although for some, I know it will. 

Just now, Bar BS3 said:

Ah fair enough. 

I'll admit that I got bored and didn't read it all. 

Change happens. Without changes to keep us in line commercially, we may not have a club to support. 

I'm not saying it's all my cup of tea. Give me a Terrace and a brick wall to piss on and I'd be happy, but football is safer, more female & family friendly and "appealing" than it has been for decades. 

I know that means it's changed, but it's a myth that there is no atmosphere. Ashton gate is better than many other grounds. 

Different doesn't mean worse, although for some, I know it will. 

That is your opinion. Another is Bristol City had been moving towards dead City FC slowly due to a terrace culture that clung to the EE.

It is now like the Monty Python sketch. Different means destroyed. Gone.

but football is safer, more female & family friendly and "appealing" than it has been for decades ...  If you are talking about inclusivity what you are stating is incorrect. According to the FSF and real data, football has become less inclusive because it has never been more money driven, aged and middle class. 

5 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

That is your opinion. Another is Bristol City had been moving towards dead City FC slowly due to a terrace culture that clung to the EE.

It is now like the Monty Python sketch. Different means destroyed. Gone.

but football is safer, more female & family friendly and "appealing" than it has been for decades ...  If you are talking about inclusivity what you are stating is incorrect. According to the FSF and real data, football has become less inclusive because it has never been more money driven, aged and middle class. 

Like society in general, you mean..?

I not saying it's all good. Crowds are generally higher now than since the days of huge terraces. That says a lot more about its appeal and inclusiveness than some data and facts that are produced to back a one sided view of football being too "modern"

Been going for 50 odd yrs, went to all home and most aways back in the 60`s/70`s now new stad and sky have killed off the game and atmosphere; Saturdays and football have taken a huge step back and now I hardly go at all.

Still follow my club but hate what its become.

4 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

Like society in general, you mean..?

I not saying it's all good. Crowds are generally higher now than since the days of huge terraces. That says a lot more about its appeal and inclusiveness than some data and facts that are produced to back a one sided view of football being too "modern"

As terse and insular as ever. The data used was gathered by the EPL.

Football crowds have never been older regardless of division. A fact as some like to say on Otib.

Just now, Cowshed said:

As terse and insular as ever. The data used was gathered by the EPL.

Football crowds have never been older regardless of division. A fact as some like to say on Otib.

Terse and insular..?!

I'm giving an opinion. I've clearly said that all changes in "modern football" aren't my cup of tea, but there is no denying that clubs with new/improved stadiums are getting higher crowds now, despite ticket prices and mass tv football coverage. 

Kids tickets are generally very well priced. 

Terse and insular..? Go **** yourself! 

40 minutes ago, NickJ said:

The big difference is that after 1982, no one person was allowed to own more than 25% of Bristol City Holdings. As directors came and went, they sold their shares to new directors; the club was passed on.

Now, a significant majority of the shares in Bristol City Holdings is owned by Steve Lansdown, indeed it was Steve who changed the rule which allowed him to build up this percentage ownership, by putting more money into the club and diluting the shareholdings owned by other shareholders.

That is a factual statement, and although as @Alessandro says in the post after yours, we will not know the impact of what Steve has done for many years, it is nevertheless, one contributory factor towards the feeling of alienation that many increasingly have.

Bang on and one of my major gripes. Now we must rely on him  he is no saviour as we were not in debt until he changed everything. Now we are at his mercy. We are his play thing until the time he sees fit to let it go.

I've not lived full time in Bristol since I was 19...when I went to uni we were on our slide down, I went to Oxford away on one of my first weekends...little realising they were about to overtake us... 

Like many on this thread supporting City is one of the things people would know about me who know me at all, down the years it's taken different forms...STs in seasons when I could hardly get to a match for work, family trips with my 3 kids (all now City fans despite never having lived in Bristol) and in more recent years with more money and a bit more time, and the kids for company, epic seasons in which we went to 30 or even 40 matches.

But those competing things in life mean that whilst we'll travel all over the country to watch an exciting, competing but not necessarily winning, City side, there are many other things to do in seasons when we lack the basics to compete. I drifted away in the Millen era as it became clear he lacked the quality and the investment, watched very little under McInnes, one match (v Rovers) under SOD. Did I miss it, having been a 30 game a season plus follower under GJ?...not really. It seemed to me that the club had thrown in the towel and settled for a struggle. I came back after a chance away match under Cotts...suddenly we had a team set up to compete, what a great season, there almost from beginning to end. I started this season in the same way...overnights, long drives to Yorkshire...but we seem, again, to have thrown the towel in. I've cancelled a hotel in Leeds...my daughter might get to Newcastle...I have that feeling of apathy...what's the point? Johnson has all the tools to make a good job of it, but can't build anything with them...whatever plan SL has he's not sharing anything but platitudinous slogans with us. I'm baffled.

If you'd told me back in 1980 that at 55 I'd have only seen one serious (and rather fortuitous) attempt to return to the top flight I'd not have believed you!

2 hours ago, Welcome To The Jungle said:

Sorry guys but this is a long one. But I've got some serious demons to get off my chest. This may just be my feeling now and by Saturday I'll re-evaluate but right now this is how I feel. Sorry if I offend anyone, I don't mean to but sometimes when writing it can be hard to explain my thoughts as clearly as I'd like so bear with me. But this will be controversial for many and feel free to call me a **** if you feel I'm being one. Hre goes:

Sometimes it takes a disaster like eight consecutive losses to really hit home how little I have in common with BCFC. As I left the Cardiff game two weeks ago I wondered why on earth I kept coming back? In the past the answer was simple. No matter what happened on the pitch, Bristol City was a huge part of my identity. If I met someone new it was one of the first things I'd tell them about myself, I was proud. The other reason I used to endure the punishment was the atmosphere, or more specifically the East End. But since the demolition of the East End the atmosphere, bar a few exceptions, has been very very poor. Too many times in the last few years you could hear a pin drop. So that just left the football, which is the worst I have experienced since I started following City in 2001. 

I was always cynical about Bristol Sport, not quite trusting it, but like many early cynics we went along with it, with the promise of a new stadium on the horizon. Now looking back I don't feel like I'm at Bristol City anymore. Firstly there is the issue of my seat, in the last few years I've been in the East End, the top of the Williams, one side of the Atyeo, the other side of the Atyeo and even now this does not feel like my seat, not like it did. 

Secondly I loathe that the pitch is covered in Rugby lines. Now I must make it clear that I love Bristol Rugby club and have been a ST holder in the past, as well as following them home and away in both the Premiership and the Championship. However when I look at the pitch, with those horrid green lines on, it feels like someone has been invited into your home and left skid marks down the toilet. Ultimately it isn't a big deal and you'll invite them again, but it takes any kind of shine off the whole place.

I used to love going the the Mem to watch Bristol, leaving the odd City sticker around. It was my second sporting home however I feel Bristol Sport are ruining the Rugby too. Firstly at the Rugby the same problem exists. There are football lines everywhere, which again makes the place look really untidy. The atmosphere at AG for rugby has also been poor (again bar a few exceptions), with the Blackthorn end noise all but gone. But my main gripe is that there is red on the Bristol home kit. Without making my language more colourful I can only describe this as a complete disgrace and is a massive poo on the history of the club. If someone slapped blue on our kits there'd be a riot. 

My final point of this relationship with the Rugby is Ashton Gate itself, which is no longer owned by Bristol City. How did we let this happen. Our home for over 100 years is no longer the property of Bristol City! What's worse is that it is becoming the Bristol Sport stadium more and more. In my opinion this is robbery. Robbed by a man who I find questionable at best.

Steve Lansdown may be a 'decent' for a football owner, but that is hardly the best of company. He seems to often be given the title of Bristol City's saviour, bailing us out every year from the losses he created through years of mismanagement. That's like someone punching you in the face then proving the first aid. I find this whole Bristol Sport experiment as nothing more than an ego trip for a bored rich man, still trying to impress his son with an 'executive toy'. What people often forget is that a football club is not the company, but the fans. If he left and the company 'Bristol City' folded then the club would rise again out of the Ashes. Rangers, Wimbledon, and Hereford are all clubs that have been re-born. And quite frankly I'd rather not be owned by a man who, whilst the Red Cross are intervening in our hospitals, decides that he doesn't need to pay all his tax. Legal or not, actively making an effort to pay less tax (unless you are struggling to get by) is just morally wrong. Lucky the country is so financially stable at the moment.

Finally The atmosphere. What can I say, other than modern football has caught up with Bristol City. Very little noise compared to even 10 years ago, even at the start of the season. Too many in the Atyeo are more concerned with calling corner takers 'bankers' to actually get behind the team. In almost every game this season, the loudest chants (with the exception of post goal delirium) are aimed at the opposition or Bristol Rovers. Arms crossed and silent is common place now. I don't want to tell people how to support, but to come in the Atyeo and make the same noise as a particularly lack luster corpse is baffling to me. Why are you there? 

I do apologise if I've offended anyone and I'd love to be put right as I don't want City to fall out my life. But right now I feel like I'm married to Bristol City where I love her but she doesn't love me back. We are the club (allegedly), but have no say in how it is run. And it is being run into the ground. SL wanted to copy Barcelona. What he forgets is Barcelona is owned by its fans...

Always been my point. Well said

2 hours ago, Welcome To The Jungle said:

Totally agree, sums it up perfectly for me.

2 hours ago, Alessandro said:

A passionate post, personally I think it's a very cynical analysis of Landsdown. And I'm my opinion, unfair.

For me, Bristol Sport and the club are putting things in place to progress. Of course when things are going badly, it's very easy to say, it hasn't worked. When things are going well, I.e after the first 10 games this season, criticism was few and far between. It's certainly very easy right now to say is not working. But all change takes time, a lot of time.

One thing is for sure, in my opinion, we probably won't know the impact of what SL is trying to do here for many, many years. Be it for better or worse. 

And the reality is football just isn't what the rose tinted glasses make us think it used to be. It's changed  a huge amount over the last 10/15 years, the debate over if that change is for better or worse goes on and on.

to be fair when things are going well why would anyone moan, my boss would always forget the dozen gates I made right, but was always quick to moan if I got 1 wrong that's human nature I'm afraid

2 minutes ago, pillred said:

to be fair when things are going well why would anyone moan, my boss would always forget the dozen gates I made right, but was always quick to moan if I got 1 wrong that's human nature I'm afraid

Exactly. So perhaps when emotions are running high, and things are going badly, take a deep breath and don't throw the baby out with the bath water!

Unfortunately, I find it impossible to fall out of love with Bristol City.

But I hate anyone who hurts or disrespects my club.

The Club will be with me forever - most players and managers are just passers-by, here today, gone tomorrow.

However, there are some outstanding exceptions who clearly had a deep attachment to the club and a genuine sense of belonging - Wedlock, Atyeo, Gow, Cheesely, Ritchie, Merrick and a few others.

Brilliant OP.  I don't think a lot of us dare think of any slippery skullduggery going on particularly from the messiah (i.e taking ownership of the ground etc to SL owned BSport) as we all want to just want to love the club we support.  We keep all of that firmly in the back of our minds. Neatly done SL.  But this recent nonsense is bringing a lot to the fore that we would have rather not known.  Really poor PR management going on recently

6 hours ago, Bazooka Joe said:

Unfortunately, I find it impossible to fall out of love with Bristol City.

But I hate anyone who hurts or disrespects my club.

The Club will be with me forever - most players and managers are just passers-by, here today, gone tomorrow.

However, there are some outstanding exceptions who clearly had a deep attachment to the club and a genuine sense of belonging - Wedlock, Atyeo, Gow, Cheesely, Ritchie, Merrick and a few others.

Cooper and Jordan too.

9 hours ago, Welcome To The Jungle said:

I would say it was like having an affair, an affair with someone who was married to someone who has total control over them and calls all the shots. All you can do is see them at weekends, and occasionally on a week night.

The loss and failure used to be ours.

Dont feel that anymore.

Its like an amusing crap theatre.

Any guff.

Anytime.

"What shall we tell them Captain the peasants are revolting?"

"Talk abut projects, dna, and stick a # on it they normally deep throat the lot!"

Eight defeats on the bounce ... #makingbristolproudthat.

There is something so brutishly ugly about this Bristol Sport.

Formulaic ... Like Harpic used to remove the marks off the pan.

Archived