IGNORED

LJ Still Has My Support

richwwtk

Like others have said,managers and players come and go,and whilst I won't be shouting abuse at him,I think he has to go,many fans frustrations have now turned to anger and that will lead to a poisonus atmosphere around the club.Remember we as fans are the only constant in all of this,and I for one will continue to support the shirt.

42 minutes ago, richwwtk said:

Until the board make the decision to get rid, then LJ has my support as manager of Bristol City.

Despite the losing run, we are not getting stuffed and it just feels to me like one very small stroke of luck could well be all it takes to turn things around and get us moving up the table again.

A draw at Burnley on Saturday followed by two league wins (my personal prediction) and things could well look a whole lot better.

There will undoubtedly be a point at which he will be relieved of his duties if we keep losing, but when that point comes is not my decision and I am still confident in SL's decision making in this respect.

The people claiming that SL does not have the best interests of the club at heart and has no respect for the fans are just plain wrong.

I realise I'm an insane optimist, and am very much in a minority on here, but it's how I feel.

2 wins :laugh: get in the real world.

Like I said on Saturday, it's not that I don't think he will end this run (sometime or other we'll have to get a result even if it's just a fluke).

But I just think it's going to be nigh on impossible to win back the support of fans now unless he goes on a similarly unbelievably GOOD run. He's just set Bristol City's record run of defeats, following on from 8 losses in a row at Barnsley just last season! 

People will rightly question whether the next awful run is just around the corner. And it is much harder to achieve success when you're working in an environment that expects you to fail, doesn't have belief in your ability and, frankly, resents you. 

44 minutes ago, richwwtk said:

Until the board make the decision to get rid, then LJ has my support as manager of Bristol City.

Despite the losing run, we are not getting stuffed and it just feels to me like one very small stroke of luck could well be all it takes to turn things around and get us moving up the table again.

A draw at Burnley on Saturday followed by two league wins (my personal prediction) and things could well look a whole lot better.

There will undoubtedly be a point at which he will be relieved of his duties if we keep losing, but when that point comes is not my decision and I am still confident in SL's decision making in this respect.

The people claiming that SL does not have the best interests of the club at heart and has no respect for the fans are just plain wrong.

I realise I'm an insane optimist, and am very much in a minority on here, but it's how I feel.

Sorry mate but there isn't any board, there's just SL, we know this from the way the McInnes appointment was conducted.

We are already keeping on losing

With every appointment SL protects his position by not choosing anyone who will threaten it. ie someone who would shake up BCFC in their efforts to achieve Premiership status. This is what SL fantasies about.

41 minutes ago, richwwtk said:

Admire you for posting this on the forum when many have been so vocal in calling for a change.

Serious and genuine question though; why do you think we'll get a draw this weekend and then get back to back wins? I'm genuinely interested to understand your thoughts as maybe they'll give us a bit more hope.

My problem is this.  Even if we did manage to win our next two league games, does that mean he is once again the right person to lead us forward?  This appalling run has been so inexcusable I think it will cast a long shadow even if we do manage to string a couple of wins together.  In the complete absence of any mitigating factors that would excuse such a dreadful run of form, I can only come to the conclusion that Johnson is not equipped with the skills necessary to lead us forwards and progress.  It would take more than two wins to change my mind now.

2 minutes ago, Robin101 said:

Like I said on Saturday, it's not that I don't think he will end this run (sometime or other we'll have to get a result even if it's just a fluke).

But I just think it's going to be nigh on impossible to win back the support of fans now unless he goes on a similarly unbelievably GOOD run. He's just set Bristol City's record run of defeats, following on from 8 losses in a row at Barnsley just last season! 

People will rightly question whether the next awful run is just around the corner. And it is much harder to achieve success when you're working in an environment that expects you to fail, doesn't have belief in your ability and, frankly, resents you. 

Agreed - very similar to what I just posted above.

Just now, Robin101 said:

Fans do forget. Look at GJ, although in different circumstances. Look at Fergie. LJ was very shrewd and looking incredibly promising last season and at the start of this.

It's why we have such short-termism, fans and owners alike typically only focus on form rather than what has been achieved. Look how quickly SC went.

Frankly, I think if LJ does turn it around then there will be the few who lurk for his next mistake, but just the same as those who were upon his appointment. The rest will get carried away in the hyperbole, as we all like to. It's why we follow football.

2 minutes ago, southvillekiddy said:

Sorry mate but there isn't any board, there's just SL, we know this from the way the McInnes appointment was conducted.

I don't understand your point, didn't SL want Robins but Sexstone and the board preferred Del?

11 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

This.

Sadly there are no signs at all that he will turn it round, the only losing by one goal mantra means absolutely nothing and I genuinely believe that today's (non) decision virtually guarantees a return to League One.

It also shows that the reality is it doesn't really matter how many games you lose under SL but who you are, as no way was Cotterill ever shown this sort of leniency.

I was speaking separately to 2 diehards today, who go to every single game, (neither post on here) but both are adamant that Saturday was about as bad as it gets and that we will be relegated without a change very soon.

Personally I would even take being hammered at Burnley if it meant we got the change we need, because let's face it, although we can't afford to surrender any league points, we aren't going to win the FA cup but on today's evidence it wouldn't matter because despite being totally out of his depth and clueless LJ is fireproof no matter how abysmally that we do under him.

Utterly depressing.

Agree with this. During our promotion campaign did we not win a lot of games by the odd goal? And when this was pointed out the response being "a win's a win!"

Well, by the same though process "a loss is a loss". Doesn't matter how close it was.

Brave indeed.... I hope that I am proved wrong about LJ and he now starts an unbeaten run to the end of the season....

Sadly and I have watched nearly all the games this year (home and away) I dont think he can... he is just not up to it... the forest game for me was the nail in the coffin.... We have got worse... All his interviews are pretty similar from game 1 about the way were are playing. We are lucky to have 27 points.....

Personally, after the Forest game I have never been so disappointed. The team were abject in a game we should have won comfortably.... If I had been in that dressing room a few plates would have gone flying... the lack of urgency, desire and movement was a disgrace.... I cannot tell you just how bad Forest were...... They are not safe either....

However, this follows a long line of games we should have either won or got something from.... my own view is that if we cannot get points off of these teams what hope against the top teams...

Sadly, if SL does back LJ (which now looks likely) we are going down.. I hope I am wrong and please look me out as I would be more than happy to eat humble pie. At the end of the day we all want the best for the club.

In any event, I will still support the team - none of this nonsense about getting rid of season tickets etc! Having said that, a 6 hr round trip to Burnley needs some motivation....

COYR! 

49 minutes ago, richwwtk said:

I echo that. As I've stated on another post, Lee Johnson is, I truly believe, the man to lead City forward. That might sound naivety considering our drop down the league. We're not in the bottom three yet, and until i can see that City really could go down I will continue to support a man who loves the club, and is committed to future progress. Rather someone like that than a journeyman manager with no connection with City, other than his paycheque.

2 minutes ago, JHAGa said:

I don't understand your point, didn't SL want Robins but Sexstone and the board preferred Del?

My point is about the mythical "board" and equally mythical "Chairman" at BCFC. The chairman of St Johnstone was openly questioning who the "Chairman" of Bristol City actually was during the McInnes negotiations. ie. everything had to pass through SL. This leaves me to believe that Bristol City Football Club is the plaything of Steve Lansdown and Dawe and all the others are little less than puppets. Thats why we get non-entities as managers.

10 minutes ago, glastonred said:

I echo that. As I've stated on another post, Lee Johnson is, I truly believe, the man to lead City forward. That might sound naivety considering our drop down the league. We're not in the bottom three yet, and until i can see that City really could go down I will continue to support a man who loves the club, and is committed to future progress. Rather someone like that than a journeyman manager with no connection with City, other than his paycheque.

Thanks Lee - good to see you on OTIB!  

Only kidding... all of these points are true about his love of the club - but did Tinnion not love the club? At the end of the day, its a results business and I dont think any other manager would have survived this run and the nature of it... I hope LJ comes good... he is clearly going to have a vote of confidence and he needs to deliver. The question is - will he?

33 minutes ago, 29AR said:

Fans do forget. Look at GJ, although in different circumstances. Look at Fergie. LJ was very shrewd and looking incredibly promising last season and at the start of this.

It's why we have such short-termism, fans and owners alike typically only focus on form rather than what has been achieved. Look how quickly SC went.

Frankly, I think if LJ does turn it around then there will be the few who lurk for his next mistake, but just the same as those who were upon his appointment. The rest will get carried away in the hyperbole, as we all like to. It's why we follow football.

Well I agree to an extent. But Gary Johnson DID go on a very good run of form that i previously mentioned:

After "enduring a club record of nine successive defeats...City then lost just three of their next 16 games, and this fine run of form was capped with a 6–0 win over Gillingham, in which defender Louis Carey scored a brace. This was City's most emphatic league win since beating Charlton by the same score in September 1969" (from wiki). Of course we were then promoted, and then nearly promoted again. Even then some fans never really believed in him.

If LJ stops this run of form, and we end this season say 16-17th I just don't believe that fans will get behind him and believe in him (for right or wrong). We need to go on a truly remarkable run and storm the latter part of this season if the last two months are going to be forgotten, in my opinion.

1 hour ago, richwwtk said:

I respect your opinion. But when we are both at quiz night, expect me to brainwash you. :shifty:

I respect those who still back LJ and to be honest I want to back him too but it's just the way the team (at home anyway)  has yet to have a good first half.  Then we are either chasing the game or when we do score first scared we will concede and drop as deep as can be.  

It is pretty sickening to see our clubs manager stats since the GJ era. The only glimmer of Hope is the fact he turned it around at Barnsley.  but overall I think he he has had enough time and this job came too soon for LJ. 

2 hours ago, richwwtk said:

We will get stuffed. Our football is bloody awful. 

1 hour ago, WestonRobin said:

Admire you for posting this on the forum when many have been so vocal in calling for a change.

Serious and genuine question though; why do you think we'll get a draw this weekend and then get back to back wins? I'm genuinely interested to understand your thoughts as maybe they'll give us a bit more hope.

I have nothing to go on, except my optimism, and the eternal hope that professional pride will kick in somewhere and the players will find a way to break the cycle and drag us through it. There is only so much a manager can do and, whilst he has made his fair share of mistakes, an awful lot of bad luck has gone against us as well to produce this run, along with ever diminishing confidence the longer it has gone on.

It's no surprise that we don't look a good side right now, we are on a horrendous run and, as often happens a change of manager may well bring about the required change in fortune, but as I said originally, all it takes is one bit of luck to turn our way and things will change. I just hope it comes sooner rather than later because I think there is most certainly the makings of a good manager in Lee, it just needs a chance to show itself before Steve Lansdowns patience eventually wears out.

4 hours ago, richwwtk said:

I'm with you brother.  Keep the faith.

Archived