IGNORED

Help for Johnson

JamesBCFC

32 minutes ago, bcfcnick said:

It might be coincidence but adding to the coaching staff didn't help with the appointment of Dean Holden.  The buck stops with LJ and he has responsibility for managing his coaching staff as well as the players.  The performances as well as the results have deteriorated since DH came in.   It will have enabled more split-group coaching (defence, midfield & strikers) and that plus the constant tinkering with personnel and tactics makes it no surprise that the team play has looked disjointed. No doubt confidence has drained away from both players and management. 

There has been an element of bad luck but as the saying goes you make your own luck and you aren't going to get much luck if you don't get a shot on target, play narrow with weak full-backs and have a scattergun approach to picking the team.

In terms of help I was heartened by Steve Lansdown's BBC interview with Ali Durden.  He was asked if LJ needed help and replied he didn't think so  and "he has a very good assistant manager in John Pemberton,  I have a lot of faith in him, he's been round the block a few times and knows what it is all about."  I think Pembo should and will get his opportunity and I suspect, just as he made some simple but effective changes last time, he would do likewise this time. I'm sure he would add width and pace to the frontline and ensure there was some continuity in the team with some. He'll talk less than Lee but I suspect the players might appreciate that! He's obviously very hard working but I was surprised and liked the passion and skill-set he had for the role, including man management, when he took it on last time as caretaker manager.

I think SL is being generous to Lee with the extra-time he has given him but he's a good man and I'd rather have him as owner than 99% of the other in the league.  He's backed Lee heavily with more cash than most in the Championship and given him high calibre backroom staff such as Des Taylor who has a great track record in player recruitment. That means the worst run in the Club's history is even worse than that stark statistic suggests. 

Lee isn't a 'youth training project' who needs mentoring and the Club doesn't need to add to the already confused state of players with more personnel. It may well be that LJ is like his father and thrives in clubs where fewer resources mean that he can't tinker too much and players are easier to manage. Either way he will be a wealthy man with the settlement from the extended contract and his property portfolio  so SL needs to appreciate the extra time isn't in anyones interests.   He has already been more than fair to him and a personally hard decision needs to be taken sooner rather than later. 

Good analysis, but something is clearly wrong from a coaching perspective. So, as sacking Lee is not on the cards at the moment, then what can be done to help Lee and the team?

Something radical needs to be done. Perhaps Holden needs to be 'transferred' to the u23s for a period? Perhaps Lee needs to give Pembo more of a say for a while? Perhaps an experienced coach needs to provide short-term consultancy, being a catalyst for change?

Whatever the answer, we need change - we need to change the way we are doing things right now. 

The irony is that the change required could be to change less (I.e. Formations/personnel on the pitch). Perhaps it's time to go back to basics - clear the air, adopt siege mentality, then drive forwards. COYR

13 hours ago, FramptonRed said:

Come on i dont mean it,i just think this forum needs a bit of light humour in these dark times.

I'd normally agree that a bit of humour is good but after those embarrassing banners have gone up insulting a man who has a genuine love of the club and working hard if not getting the best results I think people should lay off the personal insults.... Let's keep it football related if we feel the need to have a go.

Just now, BobBobSuperBob said:

With due respect James

I think you need to wind it in a tad (IMHO)

What are you - the 'thread police' ?

:whistle:

With respect, I'm entirely fed up with people ignoring the point of threads.

I'm well aware of who wants LJ to leave, or stay. But that was not the point of this thread and there are several threads where people are slagging him off left right and centre. This thread was on possible ways he might be helped (if he wants it) and I made a request at the start for those who were just going to slag off the manager or say to sack him to stick to the several other threads where they are saying the same thing over and over.

For the purpose of this thread I couldn't care less of whether he is wanted or not, but for objective thoughts on how he could be assisted. There have been responses with ideas by those who want him out, so it clearly isn't too much to ask.

5 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

With respect, I'm entirely fed up with people ignoring the point of threads.

I'm well aware of who wants LJ to leave, or stay. But that was not the point of this thread and there are several threads where people are slagging him off left right and centre. This thread was on possible ways he might be helped (if he wants it) and I made a request at the start for those who were just going to slag off the manager or say to sack him to stick to the several other threads where they are saying the same thing over and over.

For the purpose of this thread I couldn't care less of whether he is wanted or not, but for objective thoughts on how he could be assisted. There have been responses with ideas by those who want him out, so it clearly isn't too much to ask.

Fair enough , guess we are a little cheesed off and edgy atm !

Maybe just and try and wind the name calling / telling people to 'b****** off , back ?

(Though in fairness there's been far worse on this forum recently ! )

:thumbsup:

Archived