IGNORED

Previous managers - sackings

Robbored

18 hours ago, BigAlToby&Liam said:

This is the most telling fact or stat for me and is what I was alluding to when I asked the question about our most successful manager in recent times.

Terry Cooper did well. Joe Jordan too. Gary Johnson had success. 

Alan Dicks though - at least in my time - had the most. And City kept him through thick and thin and look where that ended up.

Ok some might say 1982 but from a footballing perspective promotion to Division 1 has to be the best definition of success.

I still say consistency is the key, with support where needed. Bit like riding a bike. 

Can't recall letting the young 'un fall off only to throw the bike on the ground. Keep holding the saddle and stick with it.

I hope SL continues to hold LJ's!

The big problem with the Dicks comparison is that the climate has changed in today's game , rare are the players that stay at one club for any length of time .

He coached those lads into a cohesive unit , a real team , all playing for one another and knowing each other's strengths and weaknesses.

I think most players today sign à three year contract, on average, and are sold after two years .

The turn over is high and leaves very little opportunity for players to grow as a team.

Our modern day matches are won by individual brilliance or error .

16 hours ago, BCFC_Dan said:

Far be it from me to defend Robbored but I think GJ was the only one in the list who required some clarification. SC and SO'D both did things other than bad results that might have contributed to their dismissal but the main reason was the team being in the relegation zone.

GJ was sacked with the team clear of the relegation zone (if on a poor run and possibly heading there anyway), so the extra circumstances are worth mentioning (or alluding to).

Steady on Dan you'll find yourself playing Bowls next......

22 hours ago, BCFC_Dan said:

It's also worth considering when he didn't sack the manager.

Notably, he didn't sack Gary Johnson when the team was bottom of league one with 16 points from 20 games having lost the last 9 games in all competitions. Granted 7 of those games (1-3-3) were under Tinnion, but plenty of people would have happily pushed the button at that point.

There were plenty of mitigating circumstances for that Dan.

Remember the away kit? We looked like streaks of p*ss, sprayed with domestos.

Archived