IGNORED

How confident are you we will appoint the right man this time?

Flagon

Many fans seem to feel that if we are to lose the Rotherham game it is likely that LJ would be asked to leave.

In Lansdown's statement where he refers to the off field success he said "I have no intention of seeing this wasted." I think this game along with the Sheffield Wednesday one could be the limit. 

However, if this were to happen any incoming manager would not have the opportunity to improve the squad with new players as January would obviously be over. 

The immediate remit would be the same as LJ's when he got here last year, just please keep us up. We would then hit the summer transfer window, assuming all being well, still in the Championship where the inevitable conundrum of who to let go, who to get in begins.

At this current time I genuinely believe the players are as much at fault for some terrible errors defensively, poor finishing and decision making coupled with some bad tactics.

So how confident are you that the board would actually appoint the right person this time round and importantly sustain a turnaround in form for the future and not just this season?

Not at all confident, and I know it was a different board (not in thinking maybe) back then, but the long term future of our club walked out when Joe Jordan went to Hearts.

We've been treading water ever since. I don't think we'll ever have a manager , having picked up Coopers reigns, who'll get this club in a position to challenge at the top table like he did. We were ready for lift off and we waved him goodbye.

Not particularly confident.  Oxford beating Newcastle 3-0 means that Appleton's name will be thrown around again when LJ finally gets the push.  And if it happened, I can see City paying Oxford a stack of compensation only for us to find out that what worked at Oxford doesn't work at City.

I would like to see us break from tradition.  We seem to switch between "tactician" to "toughguy" manager and then back to "tactician" (O'Driscoll > Cotterill > Johnson being the latest in this sequence).  Maybe it's time to try something different...I'll regret saying this but perhaps someone from overseas.

Right now if an interview candidate said "I'll guarantee you mid-table Championship next season" I'd bite his hand off!!

10 minutes ago, Flagon said:

Many fans seem to feel that if we are to lose the Rotherham game it is likely that LJ would be asked to leave.

In Lansdown's statement where he refers to the off field success he said "I have no intention of seeing this wasted." I think this game along with the Sheffield Wednesday one could be the limit. 

However, if this were to happen any incoming manager would not have the opportunity to improve the squad with new players as January would obviously be over. 

The immediate remit would be the same as LJ's when he got here last year, just please keep us up. We would then hit the summer transfer window, assuming all being well, still in the Championship where the inevitable conundrum of who to let go, who to get in begins.

At this current time I genuinely believe the players are as much at fault for some terrible errors defensively, poor finishing and decision making coupled with some bad tactics.

So how confident are you that the board would actually appoint the right person this time round and importantly sustain a turnaround in form for the future and not just this season?

Thing is mate. We don't have a Board, we have an owner. The others are puppets - Keith Dawe?????

Unless SL has a massive mind-change we will end up yet again with a non-entity. I believe SL is a good bloke but is misguided. Whatever his fantasies about Premiership Football we will get an unqualified, cheapish replacement chosen from the ranks of those who will not threaten SLs benevolent dictatorship.

1 minute ago, Loosey Boy said:

If LJ does go.....Pembo will get the job until the end of the season on the basis that he knows all the players......

I disagree.

Think he would be the interim whilst we looked for a permanent appointment.

Although I'm cynical about it the theory behind the head coach model we have is that they simply work with what players are signed for them.

The transfer window may close next week but that does not apply for managers/head coaches..,

4 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

I disagree.

Think he would be the interim whilst we looked for a permanent appointment.

Although I'm cynical about it the theory behind the head coach model we have is that they simply work with what players are signed for them.

The transfer window may close next week but that does not apply for managers/head coaches..,

Sheffield Wednesday might be the final nail in the coffin (assuming we lose - and I hate saying that but it's the reality)

Give Pemberton the job as an interim because he will probably get a reaction from the players and we'll get three points against Rotherham.

It takes time to appoint a new manager so like last time it could be several games before a replacement is in post.  Assuming Pembo is doing a good enough job then I could see him staying in charge until the end of the season.

I'm still conflicted about all of this.  I listened to LJ's interview after today's match at Burnley and to me he talks complete sense.  He's interesting and insightful to listen to.  I really do think he's a good guy trying desperately to get the results that we need.  But the reality is that even 6 points in the next two home games might not be enough to springboard us away from relegation.  Unfortunately there are times in life where the situation is irretrievable - setting a club record for consecutive league defeats means that he will forever have that as a label.  You don't come back from that.  It's over.  It's just a matter of when.

We're like a dodgem car with a broken steering wheel and a governor on the gears. Mr LANSDOWN. I hope he can finally make a change, he looks weary and strained.

Pembo is a decent pro. He knows how to organise the team and he's saved us once. Not sure if he could stand doing it for another stint.

4 minutes ago, Xiled said:

Sheffield Wednesday might be the final nail in the coffin (assuming we lose - and I hate saying that but it's the reality)

Give Pemberton the job as an interim because he will probably get a reaction from the players and we'll get three points against Rotherham.

It takes time to appoint a new manager so like last time it could be several games before a replacement is in post.  Assuming Pembo is doing a good enough job then I could see him staying in charge until the end of the season.

I'm still conflicted about all of this.  I listened to LJ's interview after today's match at Burnley and to me he talks complete sense.  He's interesting and insightful to listen to.  I really do think he's a good guy trying desperately to get the results that we need.  But the reality is that even 6 points in the next two home games might not be enough to springboard us away from relegation.  Unfortunately there are times in life where the situation is irretrievable - setting a club record for consecutive league defeats means that he will forever have that as a label.  You don't come back from that.  It's over.  It's just a matter of when.

I agree but there is more than a hint that he is impervious. For the sake of his career he will obviously cling on. Which makes it excruciatingly awful for us because SL finds wielding the axe (at least in football) against his appointees distasteful to say the least

The job will go to Rowett.
Whether he is the right man or not, I don't know.
He'll probably be the right man for about 8 months, and then become very much the wrong man, leading us to change again.

SL has done all he can off the pitch to raise the profile of this 'project'.  What he needs now is to get the right man at the helm of the football club to take his 'project' to the next level.  For me, it's time to appoint a well-known, big name manager.  Only a 'name' will bring the attention to BCFC.  I don't think any of the other managers we could employ who are 'up and coming' or have 'potential' will do much of a different job.  Get a name that will surprise the football world, bring the media attention to our doorstep, let the players who are here know you mean business, let players who we might want to bring in know we mean business etc etc.  SL needs to raise the profile of this club and his project to a national level, and he will only do that with a BIG appointment, a household name.
That person may or may not be as good a coach as the latest 'next great thing', but the difference the name can bring will trump that.  Time we thought big.

I'd be all for having a word with Hodgson, see if he fancies one last managerial challenge before retirement.
I'd be all for getting Hoddle in (with Wilkins to assist him), to really set eyebrows raising across the country.
Something along these lines has to be done in my opinion, to take the so-called project to the next level.

Our situation was hammered home to me when watching Derby v Leicester last night. They are a bigger club than us attendance wise, have won titles in the past and like many other clubs that I could list (*), believe that their place in the football hierarchy is either Premier or at worst, challenging for promotion from the Championship.

As a club they and their supporters, EXPECT that to be the situation and that they expect promotion sooner rather than later. It's what drives them on through the bad times

And one of the "pegs in the right shaped holes" is the management of the team - An ex England manager with very good experience of the top two leagues and his assistant, Chris Powell, a good enough manager at this level in his own right. 

At Bristol City we have been out of this scenario for so many decades that, as a Club even with such a catchment area that many clubs can only dream of, with a benefactor who loves the club as only a local person can, a new stadium in place, we just HOPE that we'll get there one day. Compare Derby's management team with our inexperienced set of coaches. This is not a slag at Johnson and his coaches but a comment on how realistically we want/expect/need to move compared with Derby and others. 

So if LJ goes, will we get another rookie or a wise old bird? And change the HOPE to EXPECTATION!

Note (*) in no particular order; Ipswich, Southampton, Wolves, Leicester, Leeds, Sheff U, Sheff W, Burnley, Palace, Brighton, Forest, Middlesboro, Stoke, Fulham, Watford, Norwich, Derby, Bolton, Blackburn and lot more.

4 minutes ago, Xiled said:

I agree with much of this. Although I don't find him interesting or insightful. I find him repetitive and uninspiring and devoid of sense, but I guess that's me. 

The rest is the way I see it. A defeat by two or more on Tuesday will probably be enough Even for SL. 

LJ himself could resign. Self respect will Become an issue if we are dicked. 

10 minutes ago, southvillekiddy said:

I agree but there is more than a hint that he is impervious. For the sake of his career he will obviously cling on. Which makes it excruciatingly awful for us because SL finds wielding the axe (at least in football) against his appointees distasteful to say the least

Well, very few managers resign these days because they would receive less compensation.  Mutual consent and the sack are the same thing so I expect it will be the former with a decent pay-off.

I've relieved one person of their job and I found the process pretty traumatic.  And she was awful in a number of ways.  So I completely understand why Steve Landsdown wouldn't want to do it again so soon.  He clearly has a strong friendship with LJ.

But the recent interview and club statement made absolutely no promise to LJ that his job was secure.  If Johnson was 'impervious' then it would have been easy to add the line "Lee Johnson will remain first team coach even if we are relegated to League One in May".  As I've said before, I think there will be two triggers - firstly it will need to be February and secondly we might have to fall into the relegation places.

@Harry I jokingly mentioned Hodgson earlier in the week, along with Moyes!

Would love to see Hoddle.

I want a manager with pedigree, who can either use his playing career at the top level, or his proven managerial record to give kudos to 1) what happens at Failand and 2) on the pitch or changes he makes during the 90 minutes.

8 minutes ago, Harry said:

The job will go to Rowett.
Whether he is the right man or not, I don't know.
He'll probably be the right man for about 8 months, and then become very much the wrong man, leading us to change again.

SL has done all he can off the pitch to raise the profile of this 'project'.  What he needs now is to get the right man at the helm of the football club to take his 'project' to the next level.  For me, it's time to appoint a well-known, big name manager.  Only a 'name' will bring the attention to BCFC.  I don't think any of the other managers we could employ who are 'up and coming' or have 'potential' will do much of a different job.  Get a name that will surprise the football world, bring the media attention to our doorstep, let the players who are here know you mean business, let players who we might want to bring in know we mean business etc etc.  SL needs to raise the profile of this club and his project to a national level, and he will only do that with a BIG appointment, a household name.
That person may or may not be as good a coach as the latest 'next great thing', but the difference the name can bring will trump that.  Time we thought big.

I'd be all for having a word with Hodgson, see if he fancies one last managerial challenge before retirement.
I'd be all for getting Hoddle in (with Wilkins to assist him), to really set eyebrows raising across the country.
Something along these lines has to be done in my opinion, to take the so-called project to the next level.

Agree with all that, maybe not the names you've mentioned, but we do need a manager or head coach with that wow factor.

Can't see SL paying for one though.

Cheap option managers litter his stewardship.

8 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

Our situation was hammered home to me when watching Derby v Leicester last night. They are a bigger club than us attendance wise, have won titles in the past and like many other clubs that I could list (*), believe that their place in the football hierarchy is either Premier or at worst, challenging for promotion from the Championship.

I take your point and agree with much of your post but Derby got it seriously wrong with their previous appointment - Nigel Pearson.  So they aren't getting it right all of the time regardless of their fan's expectation.

And we need to be realistic.  As much as we want Premier League football at Ashton Gate, we've done very little in 50 years to indicate it's where we belong.  The stadium and recent spending have changed our potential but that's basically the last 12 months.  It can happen but it isn't going to be overnight.

I have very little hope we'll appoint anyone significantly better. I don't see any willingness - or perhaps ability - to learn from past mistakes. That said the current situation isn't sustainable...and I fear it isn't about to improve without a change.

What's needed is the appointment of someone who knows how to do what is needed and has probably done it before. I imagine such people were drafted in to rebuild the stadium...not people who fancied a go and said "trust me". 

4 minutes ago, glynriley said:

Agree with all that, maybe not the names you've mentioned, but we do need a manager or head coach with that wow factor.

Can't see SL paying for one though.

Cheap option managers litter his stewardship.

Yes, not necessarily those names, but those are examples of the something that we need.  Otherwise we will continue to lurch from one appointment to the next without getting anywhere fast.  Wow factor is what is needed to take SL's so-called project to the next level.  At the moment, many many fans across the country probably have no idea who Steve Lansdown is, how much dough he's got or what he's trying to achieve with his Bristol Sport project.  He needs to get his project to national attention.

7 minutes ago, Xiled said:

Well, very few managers resign these days because they would receive less compensation.  Mutual consent and the sack are the same thing so I expect it will be the former with a decent pay-off.

I've relieved one person of their job and I found the process pretty traumatic.  And she was awful in a number of ways.  So I completely understand why Steve Landsdown wouldn't want to do it again so soon.  He clearly has a strong friendship with LJ.

But the recent interview and club statement made absolutely no promise to LJ that his job was secure.  If Johnson was 'impervious' then it would have been easy to add the line "Lee Johnson will remain first team coach even if we are relegated to League One in May".  As I've said before, I think there will be two triggers - firstly it will need to be February and secondly we might have to fall into the relegation places.

A few points mate. After most dismissals at the level I believe you are citing the sacked person doesn't get the massive level of pay-off that all our last 6 failed managers have had. When I say LJ is impervious I mean that there is little prospect of him owning up that our predicament now is largely his responsibility. LJ is starting to sound like O'Driscoll now, praising performances when we lose. Brian Tinnion was not impervious. Even Cotterill could admit a mistake.

I can't see how SL can allow himself to be friends with any manager let alone LJ, knowing that one day he will have to sack them. If he's doing that it's a sign that he truly is naive in his football activities.

We could be in the relegation zone on tuesday night.

4 minutes ago, southvillekiddy said:

A few points mate. After most dismissals at the level I believe you are citing the sacked person doesn't get the massive level of pay-off that all our last 6 failed managers have had. When I say LJ is impervious I mean that there is little prospect of him owning up that our predicament now is largely his responsibility. LJ is starting to sound like O'Driscoll now, praising performances when we lose. Brian Tinnion was not impervious. Even Cotterill could admit a mistake.

I can't see how SL can allow himself to be friends with any manager let alone LJ, knowing that one day he will have to sack them. If he's doing that it's a sign that he truly is naive in his football activities.

We could be in the relegation zone on tuesday night.

Who knows what our previous 6 managers received when they were sacked?  I would be surprised if anyone outside of the boardroom had that knowledge.  Most managers have their contracts paid up - probably very expensive in this instance but I'm sure it will happen again.

I wouldn't expect LJ to own up to his mistakes.  In management circles (not necessarily football) it's seen as a weakness.  It doesn't happen at the highest level (Ferguson, Mourinho, Wenger) so as a scholar of the modern game, I wouldn't expect Lee Johnson to start blaming himself publicly.  His recent interviews clearly show someone under stress compared to September.

I certainly agree that SL will look at this appointment and learn from it.  He should probably appoint someone and then keep a healthy distance from them so that friendship doesn't become an issue.  But I have sympathy with him.  Football is about entertainment and I'm sure SL would rather have a good rapport with his manager/coach.  It's great when the club is heading up but a nightmare in our current position.  We do not need the reputation of a hire/fire club like Leeds.

4 minutes ago, man in the middle said:

Close the door on the way out Mr Johnson please, and this time invest in a proven championship manager. I do seriously believe we have the players to finish easily mid table.

I think the "easily" has gone this season tbh whoever comes in . I agree the squad is big enough and possibly good enough though

Archived