IGNORED

Football Brains

We live in hope

Some players are just born with football in their blood while others learn it. Tomlin will never be an out and out athlete but what he is a natural gifted football player and I for one am chuffed he is here as a player at my Club. People say its not about one player agreed but some players are worth more than others and often this is reflected in their value and Tomlin is one of those in our team. When the team is built around talent and exploiting this talent with the athletes doing the leg work then just maybe BCFC will prosper. Football is not complicated when the man in front of you is not as good as you, go around him and if he is better than you then pass the ball ;-) To many tacticians simply play to your strengths...

I agree with what the poster is saying and am with it to a point, but it depends how high you go...look at top top players at top top sides- the genius is getting both, combining the undoubted talent with dynamism and intense pressing. In short,  a high high work-rate. Some of the top players work incredibly hard on the pitch- that is very hard to master though for a manager. Had a quick google search and Barcelona players run 11.6km a game apiece.

Whether Tomlin can change now or is worth trying to change him by this stage is a different matter but basically both is now needed- again depends how high you go though.

I think these posters who keep criticising his work ethic are missing the point, that he wouldn't be with City if every aspect of his game was exceptional. I thought last night he was the best player in red and possibly the best on the pitch - let's enjoy those first touches and his drive and vision (when he has the ball) while he's here.

58 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Beckham was just the same. His genius was playing football. 

3 minutes ago, We live in hope said:

Never a doubt his passing was sublime!

Did you listen to his Desert Island Discs? The more I listen to him these days the more I think that people equated his voice with his level of intelligence. 

Just now, Robbored said:

So was his vision.

I remember George Best on Sky say that he marvelled at Beckham and said something like "he never goes past anyone"

He didn't need to George.

That's right he rarely went passed anyone. Was blessed with Stamina as Sir Alex once quoted. Beckham understood the game and could read the game and delivered killer balls where needed. That is why so many teams have play makers that often the fans think are passed it or not working enough (not Beckham he grafted) when in fact the gaffer knows his vision alone can often change the game.. Tomlin is one of these

6 hours ago, We live in hope said:

Some players are just born with football in their blood while others learn it. Tomlin will never be an out and out athlete but what he is a natural gifted football player and I for one am chuffed he is here as a player at my Club. People say its not about one player agreed but some players are worth more than others and often this is reflected in their value and Tomlin is one of those in our team. When the team is built around talent and exploiting this talent with the athletes doing the leg work then just maybe BCFC will prosper. Football is not complicated when the man in front of you is not as good as you, go around him and if he is better than you then pass the ball ;-) To many tacticians simply play to your strengths...

Spot on mate

A strong counterview- though this is at the very top echelons of the game a key example in the piece.

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/the-day-of-the-luxury-player-is-long-gone-the-key-now-is-work-rate-above-all-else-1.1493369

Back in 2011, I went to the Champions League final between Barcelona and Man United. I was fascinated with the way that so much of Barcelona’s game is based on work-rate. They control the tempo of any game by the level of their work-rate.

When they don’t have the ball, they’re constantly talking to each other and pushing each other to press up and get a tackle in. And then once they have it, they do damage like nobody else.

Barcelona have this drill whereby every time one of them loses possession, they have six seconds to get it back. It doesn’t matter whether it’s Messi, Xavi or Iniesta or whoever – the first job that matters is to get the ball back. Six seconds and if you’ve haven’t won it back, you start a new drill with someone else.

And:

It’s not long at all since a Jamie Clarke kind of player only had to look good, like a shiny new car rolling out of a dealership. If he was prepared to put in the work and make his tackles count, well and good. But that wasn’t what you had him for. That came on top.

Nowadays, all the added extras have to come as standard. The best players still have all the skills but they can’t rely on those alone. If they do, they’ll be letting their team down. And the way the game has changed, that won’t be tolerated.

On ‎01‎/‎02‎/‎2017 at 11:20, We live in hope said:

What happens if the player you are trying to go around and beat is as good as you? Or your team mates don't move into space to receive a pass? What if you have a team full of talented players and not just one? What if the opposition are full of talented players and not just athletes? What if you take that all into consideration and both teams cancel one another out? If it was as simple as you say it is, all football managers would be doing it.

On ‎01‎/‎02‎/‎2017 at 11:43, Ivorguy said:

Tend to agree

LJ is making a basically simple game overly complicated, and many of the players simply can't cope.

How? Or have you just made this up? I'd love you know why you and others think this? I've seen nothing on the field of play during a game, that would suggest this. In fact we play very simply. We play possession football with a rigid structured defence. And play expansive when offensive.

57 minutes ago, spudski said:

What happens if the player you are trying to go around and beat is as good as you? Or your team mates don't move into space to receive a pass? What if you have a team full of talented players and not just one? What if the opposition are full of talented players and not just athletes? What if you take that all into consideration and both teams cancel one another out? If it was as simple as you say it is, all football managers would be doing it.

How? Or have you just made this up? I'd love you know why you and others think this? I've seen nothing on the field of play during a game, that would suggest this. In fact we play very simply. We play possession football with a rigid structured defence. And play expansive when offensive.

I've been very surprised by these comments of LJ over complicating everything.

Is it because he embraces technology? Or the talk of small gains etc??

I agree with you Spud, surely anyone who actually goes to games can see tactically what we are trying to do is pretty conservative and playing to the technical ability of our team right now. 

1 hour ago, spudski said:

Really? Which minute of which game was that? Was it just before HT when I was queuing for a pint?

How this forum changes.

Not this thread or any other and no particular poster - but prior to Tuesday for about 2 months - poster after poster on here calling him lazy, disruptive, argumentative etc. etc.

One great game later and he is no longer a very naughty boy but is the messiah again !!

Peculiar - wind must have changed I guess - see what next week brings !!  :yawn:

5 minutes ago, Nomad said:

Really? Which minute of which game was that? Was it just before HT when I was queuing for a pint?

Surely you can see we create an abundance of chances?

It's converting a high enough percentage of reasonable chances that's the issue in my opinion. And of course individual errors meaning we're letting too many in.

Just now, Pheasant plucker said:

Surely you can see we create an abundance of chances?

It's converting a high percentage that's the issue in my opinion. And of course individual errors meaning were letting too many in.

I wasn't being wholly serious. However, I do think we often lack movement and penetration so not too sure how that fits in with being "expansive". How many times do we get behind fullbacks in a game? Not many. Most of our opposition seem to know how to get behind ours which results in chances and goals (i.e first on Tuesday).

1 minute ago, Nomad said:

I wasn't being wholly serious. However, I do think we often lack movement and penetration so not too sure how that fits in with being "expansive". How many times do we get behind fullbacks in a game? Not many. Most of our opposition seem to know how to get behind ours which results in chances and goals (i.e first on Tuesday).

Hopefully we'll look more expansive when we get some confidence going.......on our soon to be 9 Match winning streak! ;)

6 hours ago, Neo said:

How this forum changes.

Not this thread or any other and no particular poster - but prior to Tuesday for about 2 months - poster after poster on here calling him lazy, disruptive, argumentative etc. etc.

One great game later and he is no longer a very naughty boy but is the messiah again !!

Peculiar - wind must have changed I guess - see what next week brings !!  :yawn:

Neo

Think it may be as simple as there are the LT fans and then people , and I include myself in this  , that fully understand that if we are not to be in L1 next year we need LT performing and in the side , however keen we are of him as a package

His ability and potential influence can't ever be doubted

6 hours ago, Nomad said:

The difference between us & Wednesday, at least until Nihiu came on, was stark. They played it fast, into space, lots of movement and lots of options. Our football is more like watching pinball, as the players are so static most of the time. Some neat little passes but it doesn't go anywhere.

Tomlin stands out because he will do something different and unexpected and in the process creates a chance either for himself or for someone else. Without him against Wednesday I believe we would have lost.

4 hours ago, Dr Balls said:

The difference between us & Wednesday, at least until Nihiu came on, was stark. They played it fast, into space, lots of movement and lots of options. Our football is more like watching pinball, as the players are so static most of the time. Some neat little passes but it doesn't go anywhere.

Tomlin stands out because he will do something different and unexpected and in the process creates a chance either for himself or for someone else. Without him against Wednesday I believe we would have lost.

Alot of this will be down to confidence (or, indeed, lack of it) though, don't you think?

I think considering our diabolical run, we don't look half bad.

Saturday, is obviously huge for Johnson and the team. Gotta be make or break!

Looking forward to it. Hopefully they won't disappoint. 

Archived