IGNORED

Lee Tomlin - A Regista for the future?

P'head Red

Now, I'm not suggesting Lee Tomlin should be anywhere but his No. 10 role for the time being, but as he gets older would he make a good deep creative midfielder?

He has the abiity to spray balls all over the pitch, and if played alongside the right sort of midfielders could thrive in that position. Take his assist way back in the Blackburn game, a ball which he thread through half of their team from one end of the pitch to the other as an example, skipping out the need to tap it around in potentially vulnerable areas and putting it straight into one of the oppositions.

Now I expect I'll be labelled as an arm chair tactician, but I expect it's something he'd be capable of if put in the right team with a mixture of pace and strength.   

1 hour ago, P'head Red said:

Now, I'm not suggesting Lee Tomlin should be anywhere but his No. 10 role for the time being, but as he gets older would he make a good deep creative midfielder?

He has the abiity to spray balls all over the pitch, and if played alongside the right sort of midfielders could thrive in that position. Take his assist way back in the Blackburn game, a ball which he thread through half of their team from one end of the pitch to the other as an example, skipping out the need to tap it around in potentially vulnerable areas and putting it straight into one of the oppositions.

Now I expect I'll be labelled as an arm chair tactician, but I expect it's something he'd be capable of if put in the right team with a mixture of pace and strength.   

Did you know that bears shit in the woods?

2 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Oh no, all the old bids will be on here demanding to know what a 'regista' is and saying that football is too 'new fangled' and complicated these days

:P

I'm old but not stupid, also known as 'tills' :yes: we always called them cash registas 

In my opinion, when playing further back in that role you need to do your defensive duties and I can't see him playing that position now let alone in the future. I think his best attribute is his dribbling and he has the licence to do that further up the pitch. I see where you're coming from with his ability to pick out a great pass but too risky playing him in a deeper position.

5 hours ago, P'head Red said:

Before squad numbers, at  AG 10 was frequently worn by a creative midfielder. Bobby Kellard, Gerry Gow etc.

6 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Oh no, all the old bids will be on here demanding to know what a 'regista' is and saying that football is too 'new fangled' and complicated these days

:P

A Regista is what the Italians call a "deep lying playmaker".  As for "new fangled" that is just complicated scientific crap to me.

Thank you

12 minutes ago, BigTone said:

A quick look at the league table may indicate why I have reservations.

You don't just do away with ideas about analysis, sport sports science and technology because we are doing badly right now. The fact that all the elite clubs use these methods (and far more) are testament to the fact that they clearly work. 

1 minute ago, Phileas Fogg said:

You don't just do away with ideas about analysis, sport sports science and technology because we are doing badly right now. The fact that all the elite clubs use these methods (and far more) are testament to the fact that they clearly work. 

Let me phrase my reservations slightly differently.  "Too much emphasis" can be placed in scientific methods instead of getting down to basics which we clearly need to do.

10 minutes ago, BigTone said:

Let me phrase my reservations slightly differently.  "Too much emphasis" can be placed in scientific methods instead of getting down to basics which we clearly need to do.

Which could be a fair comment if we knew definitively how much impact analysis and sports science have on our training and set up. But we don't.

Either way we're clearly not going to agree on this so it's fruitless continuing this conversation :thumbsup:

2 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Which could be a fair comment if we knew definitively how much impact analysis and sports science have on our training and set up. But we don't.

Either way we're clearly not going to agree on this so it's fruitless continuing this conversation :thumbsup:

Agreed

Archived