IGNORED

Bobbobsuperbob...

spudski

1 hour ago, spudski said:

....did you know it was your 50th birthday today? ;-) Baggies website put up a nice goals compilation video on FB :-)

Well spotted Spud :thumbsup:

Have to confess I didn't have a clue !!!

When I saw the thread title did think 'Oh ***** what have I said' !!!!

Time to let the memory bank kick in !

Real Happy Days !!!!

Happy Birthday Super Bob :trumpet:

Proper Legend

For you young'uns;

Just before the March 1989 transfer deadline, Carl Shutt was transferred to Leeds and for an extra £175,000 their Bob Taylor came to Bristol. The following season, both players scored vital goals that helped their new clubs to promotion.  City then had a Managerial change and  unable to command a regular first team place, Bob Taylor left at the end of January 1992 for £300,000 to third division promotion contenders West Brom who were managed by former City man Bobby Gould. Thus eight players from the promotion winning side had now left. That Saturday he scored after 11 minutes as WBA beat the divisional leaders 2-0. Meanwhile, Barnsley were winning by the same score line at Ashton Gate.    

Prompted me to have a dig around on You Tube

Found some stuff I've never seen before

some nice Gary Shelton bits on this

And the best find !!! (Not the vhs quality though)

Bobs first hat trick for us - Saved JJ from the sack 

And a good little article about Bob at Baggies

Hard to watch because it should have been for us - that idiot Lumsden :grr:

A bit more from my records about the 89-90 promotion season Taylor was to be the main marksman that season; in 46 appearances he scored 34 times. This was the best performance by a City player in over fifty years, but the title of Bristol's most prolific marksman remained with Alfie Biggs. He scored 37 times in 56 appearances for Rovers during the 1963/64 season. A late season injury prevented Bob from getting three more goals in less than ten games.

8 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

If soldiers are being prosecuted for what happened 20 - 40 years ago in the heat of combat, can City not sue Lumsden for "loss of potential earnings" etc.

10 minutes ago, 22A said:

If soldiers are being prosecuted for what happened 20 - 40 years ago in the heat of combat, can City not sue Lumsden for "loss of potential earnings" etc.

People going on about the stick LJ is getting on a forum

Remember the Forest away Fa Cup tie (1-4 ?) in the round after Leicester and City Fans singing 'Bye Bye Jimmy Bye' to 'Save all your kisses for me'

34 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Prompted me to have a dig around on You Tube

Found some stuff I've never seen before

some nice Gary Shelton bits on this

And the best find !!! (Not the vhs quality though)

Bobs first hat trick for us - Saved JJ from the sack 

And a good little article about Bob at Baggies

Well you all wanted the pointless Polish ball juggler he spent Bob's fee on..

17 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

People going on about the stick LJ is getting on a forum

Remember the Forest away Fa Cup tie (1-4 ?) in the round after Leicester and City Fans singing 'Bye Bye Jimmy Bye' to 'Save all your kisses for me'

I went to that, pissing down

Teddy Sherringham best player I've seen live that day 

Cheers for the videos Bob.

Remember the Huddersfield game in 88-89 and Taylor's hat trick, but didn't realise crowds had dropped so much.

4,500 - even the EE looks very sparse.

What a scorcher by McLaren btw.. 1 of only 2 goals he scored for us.

Very notable how much the game has changed with players like Smith, Gavin and Taylor having no thought but to run hard at the opposition when they received the ball.

In at least 2 instances leading to goals after direct high speed attacking runs.

None of this slowing the game down, trapping the ball and looking behind you for someone to pass to, tippy tappy stuff.

It seems it was just take the ball in your stride and attack the opposition hard and fast.

In other words exciting football to watch.

Interesting too that the Hull commentator was moved to comment on City's away support, referring to them as 'Bristol's travelling red army.' when it looked to be no more than perhaps 300.

1 hour ago, Rossi the Robin said:

I went to that, pissing down

Teddy Sherringham best player I've seen live that day 

I went to both, as my own games were called off.

Remember the Leicester game raining, but couldn't recall rain at Forest....although it rained goals for them

1 hour ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Very notable how much the game has changed with players like Smith, Gavin and Taylor having no thought but to run hard at the opposition when they received the ball.

In at least 2 instances leading to goals after direct high speed attacking runs.

None of this slowing the game down, trapping the ball and looking behind you for someone to pass to, tippy tappy stuff.

It seems it was just take the ball in your stride and attack the opposition hard and fast.

In other words exciting football to watch.

Interesting too that the Hull commentator was moved to comment on City's away support, referring to them as 'Bristol's travelling red army.' when it looked to be no more than perhaps 300.

Exactly what struck me Nogs :thumbsup:

I challenge anyone to say that the game wasn't more entertaining back then !!

70s 80s Early 90s the game was brilliant from a entertainment point of view :clapping:

37 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I went to both, as my own games were called off.

Remember the Leicester game raining, but couldn't recall rain at Forest....although it rained goals for them

My memory is a cold crisp day at Leicester, maybe a tad of fog and a sunniyish day at Florist !!

ha ha - we can't all be right !!!! 

4 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Exactly what struck me Nogs :thumbsup:

I challenge anyone to say that the game wasn't more entertaining back then !!

70s 80s Early 90s the game was brilliant from a entertainment point of view :clapping:

Danny Wilson's City team was attacking too with the likes of Murray and Roberts recreating the roles of Dave Smith and SuperBob.

The modern, overthinking, over playing, overly cautious managers like SO'D and LJ  are killing the game as a spectacle (along with overly attentive referees removing physical aspects) and you only really notice how it's all crept in, and how entertainment and the match experience has suffered, when you see old clips.

Cotts played exciting attacking football too, and the only hope is managers like him somehow reverse the trend and tippy tappy goes out of vogue again.

There's a good chance it will, as football coaching trends like the present irksome tippy tappy invariably get superseded by others, and thankfully can go out of fashion as quickly as they came in. :fingerscrossed:

56 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

My memory is a cold crisp day at Leicester, maybe a tad of fog and a sunniyish day at Florist !!

ha ha - we can't all be right !!!! 

I'm sure it was taters at Leicester? Wasn't the game in doubt because the pitch had frozen?

I was a bit squiffy at the Forest match. Went in the Trent Bridge bar....full of City.

2 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

The modern, overthinking, over playing, overly cautious managers like SO'D and LJ  are killing the game as a spectacle (along with overly attentive referees removing physical aspects) and you only really notice how it's all crept in, and how entertainment and the match experience has suffered, when you see old clips.

I agree that the game was more exciting in the past. Along with the tactical changes, the fact that players are generally fitter than they were in the past makes it harder to find space, which makes games tighter. Players are, on average, better than they used to be, but that doesn't translate to greater entertainment.

Another change which I believe hampers the entertainment value is the acceptance of players using hands  and arms to impede opponents - not just the blatant stuff at corners that gets picked up on MOTD but the casual stuff every time two players get close to each other. It seems to be accepted that grabbing an opponent or pushing them away is not a foul (it's just "being strong"): I'm sure these used to be fouls when I was growing up! Being held or pushed makes it harder for skilful players to do their stuff. So this "physical aspect" isn't removed by refs - unfortunately, IMO.

It always strikes me when watching games from 20+ years ago that the manhandling really didn't happen as it does now.. There were other things that happened, of course - like the tackle from behind - that you wouldn't get away with today. 

3 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Can't remember Teddy playing - A young Roy Keane scored for them and Jacki got ours from about 2 yards if I recall correctly 

I think this is the one

Saturday 15 February 1992
Nottingham Forest 4 (Llewellyn OG, Clough, Pearce, Sheringham pen) Bristol City 1 (Dziekanowski)

Nottingham Forest progressed in the fifth round of the FA Cup with a comprehensive win over Bristol City at The City Ground. An unfortunate own goal by City defender Andy Llewellyn set The Reds on their way and Nigel Clough doubled the lead after the break as he scrambled the ball over the line after Stuart Pearce's free kick was saved. Pearce then added a third as he stuck home from close-range before Dariusz Dziekanowski pulled one back. It turned out to be just a consolation though as Teddy Sheringham completed the scoring from the penalty spot after Brian Laws was fouled in the area. Forest would go on to lose in the quarter-finals at the hands of Portsmouth at Fratton Park.

9 minutes ago, Rossi the Robin said:

I think this is the one

Saturday 15 February 1992
Nottingham Forest 4 (Llewellyn OG, Clough, Pearce, Sheringham pen) Bristol City 1 (Dziekanowski)

Nottingham Forest progressed in the fifth round of the FA Cup with a comprehensive win over Bristol City at The City Ground. An unfortunate own goal by City defender Andy Llewellyn set The Reds on their way and Nigel Clough doubled the lead after the break as he scrambled the ball over the line after Stuart Pearce's free kick was saved. Pearce then added a third as he stuck home from close-range before Dariusz Dziekanowski pulled one back. It turned out to be just a consolation though as Teddy Sheringham completed the scoring from the penalty spot after Brian Laws was fouled in the area. Forest would go on to lose in the quarter-finals at the hands of Portsmouth at Fratton Park.

No Keane goal .then :whistle:

Archived