IGNORED

That Transfer

WayOutWest

I am not sure if this has been mentioned before.  Maybe it has, if so apologies for the new thread.

But Matty Taylors transfer has the hallmarks of Mark Ashton written all over it.

I believe this deal was done in the summer, perhaps at the end of last season. Bearing in mind we have decided to get our act together finally and identify and recruit targets of a certain age and skillset that will provide value in a resale.  During that time add value to our current campaigns.  Matty Taylor totally fits that bill.

It would be more surprising that Matty Taylor was not on our radar.  They guy knows where the back of the net is.  Many questions were asked at the end of last season why we didn't bid on him.  He wasn't under contract to r*****s (childish but i just cant type their name).  Therefore he was probably free to talk to clubs.

Enter Mark Ashton.

I am sure there was a conversation between Mark and Matty before he resigned with r****s.  A roadmap was defined and executed.  The release clause was more than likely Mark Ashtons idea and one that r****s had to take in order to secure the services of Matty. 

Those conversations between Matty and Mark included that he needed to prove himself in league 1, which he did. Once we we happy, we triggered the release clause and he became our player.

The architect of this move was Mark Ashton.  All above board and was completed before Matty Taylor resigned with r****s in the off season.

Mark Ashton sold Kodjia for 15m and bought Matty Taylor for 300k.  Both to me are not flukes.  Both required planning both short term and long. 

My thoughts could be totally off base....but usually trust my gut and this is what it tells me.

Stevo

6 minutes ago, Red Army Faction said:

Interesting theory.  

My point is we knew it was 300k release clause because Mark Ashton coached Matty Taylor on in it and how to implement that in his contract. 

All done when he was out out of contact. 

The long play perfectly executed. 

Stevo

46 minutes ago, WayOutWest said:

But Matty Taylors transfer has the hallmarks of Mark Ashton written all over it.

My thoughts could be totally off base....but usually trust my gut and this is what it tells me.

I think you're very close to the mark.

No doubt MA is a shrewd operator and that was recognised by SL when Ashton was at AG first time around.

1 hour ago, WayOutWest said:

I am not sure if this has been mentioned before.  Maybe it has, if so apologies for the new thread.

I believe this deal was done in the summer, perhaps at the end of last season. Bearing in mind we have decided to get our act together finally and identify and recruit targets of a certain age and skillset that will provide value in a resale.  During that time add value to our current campaigns.  Matty Taylor totally fits that bill.

It would be more surprising that Matty Taylor was not on our radar.  They guy knows where the back of the net is.  Many questions were asked at the end of last season why we didn't bid on him.  He wasn't under contract to r*****s (childish but i just cant type their name).  Therefore he was probably free to talk to clubs.

Enter Mark Ashton.

I am sure there was a conversation between Mark and Matty before he resigned with r****s.  A roadmap was defined and executed.  The release clause was more than likely Mark Ashtons idea and one that r****s had to take in order to secure the services of Matty. 

Those conversations between Matty and Mark included that he needed to prove himself in league 1, which he did. Once we we happy, we triggered the release clause and he became our player.

The architect of this move was Mark Ashton.  All above board and was completed before Matty Taylor resigned with r****s in the off season.

Mark Ashton sold Kodjia for 15m and bought Matty Taylor for 300k.  Both to me are not flukes.  Both required planning both short term and long. 

Stevo

It's certainly the scenario I have had on my mind and others have made similar suggestions on here. It would also put an explanation to Darryls cryptic comments. 

Ever the politician, I am sure if this was put to MA he would say "you may say that, I couldn't possibly comment". 

Well for all his genius, to date we find ourselves in a relegation scrap, hate to think where we end up when he really get's his act together. Sad fact BCFC are still naive as hell compared to other football clubs, this transfer on paper was great PR sort of burying bad news on LJ, a great distraction, but at the moment, that is all it is.  

5 minutes ago, 1bristolcity said:

Well for all his genius, to date we find ourselves in a relegation scrap, hate to think where we end up when he really get's his act together. Sad fact BCFC are still naive as hell compared to other football clubs, this transfer on paper was great PR sort of burying bad news on LJ, a great distraction, but at the moment, that is all it is.  

Receiving the largest transfer fee a Championship club has ever received last summer, pocketing an approximate £6m profit from the deal, would suggest otherwise.

10 minutes ago, 1bristolcity said:

The fact that City are at the wrong end of the Championship is not down to Mark Ashton. From what I've seen so far he's seems to be doing a good job.

1 minute ago, Red Army 75 said:

Ye take LJ situation out of this . I would say since MA has been here . We've done some fantastic business 

All very well, but if we are relegated it means nowt, How can you deem MA reign a success when success would be reflected on the field, we have just witnessed our worst run in the history of the club!! 

I was thinking the exact same. Either way, there was no way that LJ/MA woke up on deadline day and thought "lets bid for him" out of the blue. 

My personal opinion is that MT saw our start of the season, drove past the new ground a few times as he lives in Bristol, and decided he was keen. His agent has then tipped off MA/LJ, and we've agreed wages, timings etc before Xmas and then waited until the last second to launch an official bid. 

1 hour ago, WayOutWest said:

This could be true. Ashton is not my preferred cup of tea to be fair, however he is corporate and city do need corporate for the future. Matty Taylor is a good signing and if he makes it in the championship a real bonus but in reality if we do not survive this terrible run of form and drop down a division we have a proven scorer ready for the fight back up! that's more likely the reason behind the signing....

17 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Receiving the largest transfer fee a Championship club has ever received last summer, pocketing an approximate £6m profit from the deal, would suggest otherwise.

How does receiving a big fee for JK mean we are not naive? I think it showed us being exactly that, we didn't see it coming and had no obvious suitable replacement lined up. We didn't know that Villa were gonna come in with such a huge offer. Where did you get '£6m profit from the deal' from? Didn't we buy JK for around £2m and sell him for £11m possibly rising to £15m? That seems like more than £6m profit from that deal to me...

19 minutes ago, 1bristolcity said:

He is part of the senior management team, in any other business the blame would not just fall on one man's shoulders. 

He is but it's not his role to select the team, decide on tactics and formations and to instil motivation and confidence in to the players.

Thats the job of LJ and his coaching staff.

25 minutes ago, 1bristolcity said:

All very well, but if we are relegated it means nowt, How can you deem MA reign a success when success would be reflected on the field, we have just witnessed our worst run in the history of the club!! 

All very well . Well he got the players here . Players like Tammy . Hegeler . Magners. I'm saying he's done his part . He's not picking the side is he 

18 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

How does receiving a big fee for JK mean we are not naive? I think it showed us being exactly that, we didn't see it coming and had no obvious suitable replacement lined up. We didn't know that Villa were gonna come in with such a huge offer. Where did you get '£6m profit from the deal' from? Didn't we buy JK for around £2m and sell him for £11m possibly rising to £15m? That seems like more than £6m profit from that deal to me...

Sell on fee 

3 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Eh? So let's say we made £9m on the deal (£11m less £2m) and there's also a sell on clause - that will make the profit even more...so I still ask, how did we only make 'a £6m profit on the deal' as claimed?

I'm only throwing suggestions out mate I'm not even the person you quoted.

Archived