IGNORED

3 points but that was utter shit

Vincent Vega

I wouldn't say the performance today was "utter shit" but we looked toothless until we switched to the more productive 2-5-3 formation. 

I can't say I have any more confidence in Lee Johnson now than I did before the match but I don't think he's going to go so let's just be happy we took 4 points from the last two games and pray that - as sometimes happens with City - playing 4 decent sides in the tough array of matches to come somehow lifts our performance.

3 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Yep, on the basis of that abysmal display I can't believe for a minute LJ will still be in charge for our next home game.

3 hours ago, Charliesboots said:

He will be, unfortunately 

Graham - I agree with your post, but unfortunately I also agree with what Charlie says (the exact opposite). Only time will tell 

I am absolutely thrilled that we were able to win an ugly game, as alluded to earlier there are plenty of complaints -  me included - when we can't grind out a result.  I am actually quite shocked at the number of people who think it matters how we won this game, the 3 points today were the only thing that mattered.

17 minutes ago, WestonRobin said:

Yes, the game changed after the substitutions but is that down to the change in formation or the players who came on?

Tomlin didnt turn up today - I think we can all agree with that - but to be effective he needs to have options and movement ahead of him. Playing Tammy up top on its own doesn't provide him with enough freedom to do what he does best. 

After the subs we had Paterson runnning at Rotherham and their defence was being pulled all over the place by Taylor (some really good movement at times) and Djuric (he was closing and putting them under a lot of pressure). Personally, I'd have liked to have seen this from the start (2 up top not necessarily Taylor and Djuric)...it may not have been such a poor spectacle then.

You could argue for keeping tammy on, but he really wasn't at it today. Taylor was much more physical and ran at them with the ball. Flicks and back heals are great when there are not 7 men behind the ball and the recipient is through on goal, but as both tammy and Tomlin proved, today was not a day for that type of play. 

3 hours ago, Up The City! said:

Since when has winning been utter shite?

I'll tell you what is utter shite, losing so many games in a row.

Winning is delightful. Maybe you need to learn how to enjoy a win?

Good to get 3 points but that was the worst I've seen a City team play  to win a game.

I fear for us, I can't see us winning another game this season.

As poor as Tomlin was today, I felt a bit for him...maybe I'm too nice.

I think he put a lot into Tuesday, and even though he was on for 80 minutes I reckon he had at least 15 minutes where he didn't go looking for the ball because he was struggling, following having the squits.  It can take a bit to get over that physically, let alone for Tomlin, who's not a naturally fit player.  Suspect that they've only trained lightly this week, and maybe his fitness has gone under the radar.

He'll know he wasn't at his best today, but now got a week to build himself up for Derby.  Not saying he should start, just needs to get as fit as possible.

3 hours ago, Charliesboots said:

I want to believe he will be gone if that was the case but there is a lot of love still for him in the Directors Box this afternoon 

Maybe they should put the club ahead of LJ. Who he is and his history with the club counts for nothing when they tot-up the points after the final game of the season. 

Sentimental nonsense. 

Agree the first chunk of this game was devoid of shape, passion and spark. Didn't join in the booing when LJ took Abraham, Tomlin and Little except that Little should have been off half an hour earlier. To me it always was Abraham and Tomlin or Djuric and Taylor. When the latter came on it certainly livened up. Djuric is our Andy Carroll, a bloody handful for opponents defences. He takes any type of ball to him down and controls it. He gets up to direct balls with his head accurately and can also flick them on. He doesn't lose possession either. The goal today will do him a power of good. As to Taylor. He looks the perfect foil for Djuric. A speedy skilfull player who can run with the ball at speed. Not forgetting the lively Paterson and a great start by Cotterill. I think we will get over the line this season but not by to much. Next season, I believe we will be a force. So keep getting behind the lads and let's get them over the line. Four away games on the trot. We can get points from these no problem.

10 minutes ago, WECANDO said:

Agree the first chunk of this game was devoid of shape, passion and spark. Didn't join in the booing when LJ took Abraham, Tomlin and Little except that Little should have been off half an hour earlier. To me it always was Abraham and Tomlin or Djuric and Taylor. When the latter came on it certainly livened up. Djuric is our Andy Carroll, a bloody handful for opponents defences. He takes any type of ball to him down and controls it. He gets up to direct balls with his head accurately and can also flick them on. He doesn't lose possession either. The goal today will do him a power of good. As to Taylor. He looks the perfect foil for Djuric. A speedy skilfull player who can run with the ball at speed. Not forgetting the lively Paterson and a great start by Cotterill. I think we will get over the line this season but not by to much. Next season, I believe we will be a force. So keep getting behind the lads and let's get them over the line. Four away games on the trot. We can get points from these no problem.

I'll have a plate full of what you're on......

but agree on Djuric and Taylor 

2 hours ago, redfieldred said:

At Well we improved a lot with the substitutions. What does that say about the 2 most loved players at the gate. Tomlin and tammy. When they went off we came alive. That is a fact. But no we can't blame them so blame Johnson who made the substitutions that won the match to boos and a chant from some of you don't know what your doing! Well I beg to differ. He was doing exactly what I would have done

He did pick the team right? 

Tammy is running on empty and has been for weeks. No support no help no chance. Playing a kid up front on his own will do that. 

Yep he changed it no doubt and we won no doubt again. But there is no doubt he was and is the manager of our worst run in history after spending the most money any man has ever had at our club. 

We go again next week and we hope that we get something. But the facts are clear. It's down to our players to win some games despite of him, not because of him. 

1 hour ago, bs3 said:

Good to get 3 points but that was the worst I've seen a City team play  to win a game.

I fear for us, I can't see us winning another game this season.

I was delighted that we achieved a couple of milestones.

First we got the win.

Kept a clean sheet.

We saw out the game.

All things that we have been unable to achieve recently and has saw this place go into meltdown. 

These players were terrorfied of losing and that showed in the performance but if we can carry on like this then they will become more confident that they can see games out and we will see more freedom in the play.

Sheff Wednesday were shit on Friday and still beat Wigan. Looking at Wednesday I would not see why they are top third. Likewise can't judge city by this performance, the pressure was immense and too many froze first half and played with fear. Luckily that didn't cost us, and the subs changed the game

42 minutes ago, Up The City! said:

I was delighted that we achieved a couple of milestones.

First we got the win.

Kept a clean sheet.

We saw out the game.

All things that we have been unable to achieve recently and has saw this place go into meltdown. 

These players were terrorfied of losing and that showed in the performance but if we can carry on like this then they will become more confident that they can see games out and we will see more freedom in the play.

You are utterly deluded.

Rotherham are, as results over 29 games show, by a country mile the worst side in the division.

For well over an hour today it was utterly impossible to tell which of two totally abysmal teams was the one that is well adrift at the bottom of the table.

We scraped the ugliest of wins and now you think we will become "more confident" when we face Derby, Leeds, Newcastle and Villa? Sides who are light years better than Rotherham and who will make us look desperately poor.

We are now in a fight with four teams for two places, of these Blackburn have spent just £250k on players this season, Burton £600k whereas we have spent north of £15m.

What a ******* shambles that is and I have no doubt at all why we are in this mess.

1 minute ago, GrahamC said:

You are utterly deluded.

Rotherham are, as results over 29 games show, by a country mile the worst side in the division.

For well over an hour today it was utterly impossible to tell which of two totally abysmal teams was the one that is well adrift at the bottom of the table.

We scraped the ugliest of wins and now you think we will become "more confident" when we face DerbyLeeds, Newcastle and Villa? Sides who are light years better than Rotherham and who will make us look desperately poor.

We are now in a fight with four teams for two places, of these Blackburn have spent just £250k on players this season, Burton £600k whereas we have spent north of £15m.

What a ******* shambles that is and I have no doubt at all why we are in this mess.

Man that's gonna be painful 

7 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

You are utterly deluded.

We scraped the ugliest of wins and now you think we will become "more confident" when we face Derby, Leeds, Newcastle and Villa? Sides who are light years better than Rotherham and who will make us look desperately poor.

Is difficult to argue with that. 

However, despite the performance, there are still signs that the SS Bristol City is turning. Whether she'll avoid the iceberg remains to be seen. 

The problem is confidence (imo), and that will only come with points, wins and clean sheets so this week has been a good start on that. Once the confidence returns, I'm sure the football will follow. 

15 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

We scraped the ugliest of wins and now you think we will become "more confident" when we face Derby, Leeds, Newcastle and Villa?

Said the same thing after the game. Fantastic to finally win again but a very hollow result given that all the things we needed - to "get our game back" as LJ calls it (and on the basis of his own language, we seemed to have lost it again today) or to give the players some confidence in their ability - were absent, it was three points but none of the things we actually needed to take into the hardest month of our season. Today I did actually wonder if they were, you know, still playing for him... Big midweek game against Wednesday, proper shift. But THE game against Rotherham that many said was his job, players mail it in.

Hmmmm.....

32 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

You are utterly deluded.

We competed against these sides earlier in the season so on the back of the last two games I'm confident as the underdogs with that underdog spirit we can get some results. 

Bloody he'll what is going on here? Why are you scared to play these teams? Being in the Championship is all about playing these teams and I'm excited for them.

Maybe it may be best we are relegated so we don't have to worry about playing these scary teams?

Just now, Up The City! said:

We competed against these sides earlier in the season so on the back of the last two games I'm confident as the underdogs with that underdog spirit we can get some results. 

Bloody he'll what is going on here? Why are you scared to play these teams? Being in the Championship is all about playing these teams and I'm excited for them.

Maybe it may be best we are relegated so we don't have to worry about playing these scary teams?

What a stupid, selective reply.

I notice you didn't comment on how poor we were against by far the worst team in the division.

1 minute ago, GrahamC said:

What a stupid, selective reply.

I notice you didn't comment on how poor we were against by far the worst team in the division.

Same could be said for your reply.

No need to get all grumpy on me.

Do I really need to once again give my views on today's game?

But just for you I thought it was an effective performance and a welcome win.

25 minutes ago, Up The City! said:

I think we would all be excited re these next 4 away games, if, we felt our coach was able to tactically use the £15 million pounds worth of players he has signed. 

You can disagree with me all you want, but deep down you know that he hasn't, otherwise we wouldn't be in a relegation battle. 

We have some real quality players, but haven't got a team.

Everyone has to be happy because we won one game of 46 and it doesn't matter if we go down because we won today so until the next game you can't be negative, you all got it?!?!?!!!!!one!!1!!!

edit: ps ignore the worst run in history, we won a game!! clean slate mate 

Archived