IGNORED

Matty Taylor

BRISTOL86

Got to echo the positives above, the only thing I will add that I thought he wasn't too greedy. It was probably tempting to have a go himself, especially on his debut, but he had the intelligence to pass to a better positioned team mate which I was impressed with. A team player, that's good news. And yes I can see him scoring a few for us he he plays like he has shown today.

Again, thought he was lively and positive and the fans got excited when he got the ball. 

Also, he has a bit of attitude that we lack. He had swagger. He was also geeing the lads up a lot. Clapping teammates, patting them on the back. 

Finally, he looked like a cheeky little sod that would be a nightmare to play against.

I said after the game how much he reminded me of Shane Long - low centre of gravity, quick feet, direct running, drifts off markers easily - and if he can be half the player I will be overjoyed, I'd always wanted City to sign Long, an impact player who goes at people - and god knows the team needs that now.

How effective he will be depends on how you use him. Always deployed as one of two strikers with us, unlikely to have much impact on his own.

PROS

Works hard (apart from his last few games for us)

Technically decent, will link play well.

Good in the air for someone who is 5ft 9in.

Will not leave defenders for dead with his pace, but certainly not slow.

Adept at pulling defenders out of position with his runs.

CONS

Although his finishing has greatly improved, expect him to miss his share of sitters and always back the opposition keeper in one on ones.

Has an irritating tendency to fall over looking for a free kick, when remaining on his feet would be more useful.

Unlikely to reach his full potential when he finally realises what a terrible mistake he's made in joining you lot!

(Actually for £300k he's a bit of a steal, but I didn't say that) 

19 hours ago, BRISTOL86 said:

So, half an hour in, what are your initial thoughts?

I thought he had a very positive debut. His movement into little pockets was very bright and lively, reminded me of Baldock in that regard. 

He was direct and very involved in a lot of our attacking play, decent touch and impressed at how well he brought others into play, he can spot a pass which is a great attribute in a striker. 

He doesn't need to think. He just does, and that buys him time and space. 

Just the sort of player we've needed for ages. 

27 minutes ago, cynic said:

Do tell.

My friends were sat with Ollie Dawe (son of Keith) in the VIP lounge against the Wendy's.

He told them we only paid £200k for MT as rovers faffed about with the deal after the release clause was met. Reading into it, it seems as if we had them over a barrel as it was transfer deadline day and of course the player was keen on the move.

Very Baldock and a bit of a poor man's Forestieri.  Delighted he's here.

He's made a controversial move which has affected him and his family. Any gas fan thinking he'd do this just for a bigger pay cheque is wide of the mark. 

He's come to prove himself and has walked away from hero status which is why I believe he'll give that extra energy and determination which we will appreciate and benefit from.

I hate to mention it but he's already proved what he can do for a team against all the odds. Didn't look remotely out of place. And as for "falling over"- we've been had by that from opposing teams all season. Doesn't make it right but at least may put on an equal footing! 

6 minutes ago, The hand of RO'D said:

My friends were sat with Ollie Dawe (son of Keith) in the VIP lounge against the Wendy's.

He told them we only paid £200k for MT as rovers faffed about with the deal after the release clause was met. Reading into it, it seems as if we had them over a barrel as it was transfer deadline day and of course the player was keen on the move.

Not quite sure if this makes any sense unless the release contract trigger was £200k not £300k.

Once a clause is met- you can't start negotiating downwards. brfc would quite rightly enforce the contractual figure and no amount of faffing about would change this.

3 hours ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

Not quite sure if this makes any sense unless the release contract trigger was £200k not £300k.

Once a clause is met- you can't start negotiating downwards. brfc would quite rightly enforce the contractual figure and no amount of faffing about would change this.

That was exactly my reaction to them telling me. Unfortunately they didn't probe more into why we supposedly got him for 100k cheaper.

BUT is it beyond the realms of possibility?

Its early Tuesday morning and BRFC get an offer of £300k for MT from us. Their first reaction must've been you've got to be joking. They then dilly dally with the offer and tell MT later on in the day and drag their heels with it. MT is keen on the move and is allowed to talk to us about wages etc. 

For all we know this could be hours later on from our offer in the morning and now with personal terms being agreed and MT pushing for the move we then revise our offer to £200k. Rovers of course can reject it but would risk the deal collapsing and have a very unhappy player to deal with and then are forced to accept the lower offer.

I am inclined to believe my friends, they told me their source and in a funny way it kind of makes sense...

Chatting a gas m8 of mine and he says we've got their best player by a country mile . Says he will miss the odd sitter and questions how the red faithful will react when he does it for us. I told him it's a different Ashton Gate now with more knowledgable fans who give players and managers time to get it right!!

36 minutes ago, shelts said:

Chatting a gas m8 of mine and he says we've got their best player by a country mile . Says he will miss the odd sitter and questions how the red faithful will react when he does it for us. I told him it's a different Ashton Gate now with more knowledgable fans who give players and managers time to get it right!!

I love irony.

Archived