IGNORED

Tomlins poor performance due entirely to pack

redfieldred

5 hours ago, redfieldred said:

I know it's a long shot but I think  we can fully blame tomlins terrible performance on Marlin pack because this fits my football philosophy. Sideways and keep possession bad. run into 8 defenders and lose the ball good 

Steady on, surely you're not suggesting Tomlin should be responsible for his own performance? Many will be outraged since gifted players who aren't professional enough to make the most of their talents should always be given a free pass.

I'm sure you know it's always the fault of managers who are unable to manage them. Or their teammates. Or somebody or other. But certainly not them. Obviously.:shifty:

Tomlin had one of his less effective games yesterday certainly compared to the game against Wednesday but the real problem was that playing Pack with Hegeler meant that we had 2 players trying to play the same role, to the extent that at times they were both going for the same ball. Clearly they haven't practised together in the same line up. So what exactly do they do in training??

And having Tomlin as the only creative midfielder plus just one up front in Tammy meant that we had so little going forward through the middle. Cotterill did OK on the right and Bryan & Golbourne at least tried down the left but even then usually only Tammy in the middle. And he appeared to forget his shooting boots yesterday!

A week to prepare for the Derby game. We will need to be strong in defence and midfield, so a 4-5-1 makes sense. Probably the same for all 4 away games coming up. But as to who LJ actually picks and the set-up I remain as baffled as ever.

Perhaps practising from today onwards in the planned formation so everyone is drilled might be a good start. As we have learnt at work, simulating various situations, particularly emergencies, improves performance, especially if everyone is drilled in their roles, and there is a strong and clear team leader who follows a script that everyone else recognises. Just saying...

LT's performances in my eyes can be attributed to the same problem Adam Matthews has. At least with Matthews we know he'll be gone in the summer, with Tomlin I'd be listening to all offers. 

18 minutes ago, Sir Leigh of Somerset said:

Oh dear, oh dear. The only excuse for this load of carp is that it looks to have been written in the early hours of this morning, possibly after a gallon of strong apple juice too many!!!

I think there was just a touch of irony in the original post, don't you?

4 minutes ago, 29AR said:

LT's performances in my eyes can be attributed to the same problem Adam Matthews has. At least with Matthews we know he'll be gone in the summer, with Tomlin I'd be listening to all offers. 

I watched him yesterday, and couldn't help but think, that a lot of our seasons woes have been down to either fitting a team around Tomlin, or Tomlin not performing to his potential.

You can't carry a player through a season, for him to perform occasionally. A Sheffield Wednesday type performance once every 10 games or so, isn't good enough.

People will say he's our most talented player naturally...he is...but only occasionally. You can't have such players in your starting 11 and expect to win.

We are still miles away from being an average Championship side...too many below average players in the team.

Little for all his efforts and being a nice lad, is a complete liability. I've seen more composure and control from Bambi on a skateboard. He is not a footballer...just a athlete who can kick a ball imo. Golbourne is past his best. Flint probably played too many games, and it's showing.

Yesterday I witnessed a team full of nerves, no energy, no one showing for the ball, lack of leadership, very little vocals, little understanding, complete lack of movement.

Taylor came on, and you could see a player that hasn't been effected by our poor form. He had energy, movement, alertness, direct, he played with freedom of body and mind. No pressure had built up in his body. He looked like an Alien compared to the rest of our squad.

I'm hoping it is purely down to nerves and lack of confidence...I hope it's that. I said to my friends at half time, that I'd pull Tammy and Tomlin as they were both awful yesterday. That game was screaming for Duric to come on and cause problems...and Taylors movement also caused problems.

Thankfully LJ saw it too. It was a good call.

However...I'm scratching my head as to what we can do for the rest of the season.

My gut instinct...is drop Tomlin, and play Taylor/Tammy and Duric.

However because of the split feelings towards LJ and Tomlin, I can see this being a poison challis in many ways.

I personally wish we'd never bought Tomlin. He causes more problems than he's worth.

Is LJ the problem as well...maybe. He does somethings right, but his team play in a reflection of his personality imo, too nice.

However...imo, whatever fans think, LJ isn't going anywhere. The board like him...the rest of the club want him. The Academy and coach's love him.

5 minutes ago, spudski said:

We are still miles away from being an average Championship side...too many below average players in the team.

Little for all his efforts and being a nice lad, is a complete liability. I've seen more composure and control from Bambi on a skateboard. He is not a footballer...just a athlete who can kick a ball imo. Golbourne is past his best. Flint probably played too many games, and it's showing.

Yesterday I witnessed a team full of nerves, no energy, no one showing for the ball, lack of leadership, very little vocals, little understanding, complete lack of movement.

Taylor came on, and you could see a player that hasn't been effected by our poor form. He had energy, movement, alertness, direct, he played with freedom of body and mind. No pressure had built up in his body. He looked like an Alien compared to the rest of our squad.

Is LJ the problem as well...maybe. He does somethings right, but his team play in a reflection of his personality imo, too nice.

However...imo, whatever fans think, LJ isn't going anywhere. The board like him...the rest of the club want him. The Academy and coach's love him.

This despite him signing 20 (!) players this season at over £15m, so before the total myth gets repeated (by you) that this sum is "nothing" at Championship level, our relegation competitors, Blackburn and Burton have spent just £250k and £600k respectively.

Three big money signings (Magnusson, Engvall and Moore) cost us £6m, none of them even made the bench yesterday, that is incredibly profligate when you consider the position we are in and yes, I do know that £1.5m Moore is now out on loan in League One..

Interesting the point you make about Taylor and I saw in it in Cotterill too, they are like this because it hasn't yet been coached out of them. Early on Cotterill was running into space at every throw in whilst all his team mates stood around like statues, but don't worry, after a few weeks on the training ground he will be static, too. 

As for your final point, if that is true it is utterly depressing and for me guarantees relegation. However if anyone thought the mood got a bit ugly around the hour mark yesterday that will seem as nothing if we return to AG after 3 or 4 away defeats this month.

5 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

This despite him signing 20 (!) players this season at over £15m, so before the total myth gets repeated (by you) that this sum is "nothing" at Championship level, our relegation competitors, Blackburn and Burton have spent just £250k and £600k respectively.

Three big money signings (Magnusson, Engvall and Moore) cost us £6m, none of them even made the bench yesterday, that is incredibly profligate when you consider the position we are in and yes, I do know that £1.5m Moore is now out on loan in League One..

Interesting the point you make about Taylor and I saw in it in Cotterill too, they are like this because it hasn't yet been coached out of them. Early on Cotterill was running into space at every throw in whilst all his team mates stood around like statues, but don't worry, after a few weeks on the training ground he will be static, too. 

As for your final point, if that is true it is utterly depressing and for me guarantees relegation. However if anyone thought the mood got a bit ugly around the hour mark yesterday that will seem as nothing if we return to AG after 3 or 4 away defeats this month.

You need to look deeper for the answers mate.

Matthews was going to be our number 1 RB. He's on decent wages...and been awful. The three you mention have all been signed for the near future. LJ has even said that. Elstrand was seen as the main CB over Magners. Engval was seen as in between U23's and first team...and Moore for the near future.

I'm not defending LJ here...but that is what we did. We spent millions for the near future. Instead of ££££££ millions.

I don't think LJ is the answer...I also don't see him as eaxtly the main problem. It's a culmination of things.

I sat there yesterday and hated it. It was the worst game of football I've witnessed in years. Devoid of anything. Both teams looked L2 standard. I completely understood the fans frustration. Having slept on it...it is what it is.

We either support the team and manager or all behave like spoilt brats and throw out our dummies.

I laughed out loud at the supporters who booed Tammy and Tomlin being taken off yesterday. Both were bloody awful...beyond pathetic. Both deserved to be hooked. How fans couldn't see that is beyond me. Just because they are our two best players on paper...well they weren't yesterday...they were our worst. LJ for all his problems, made the right call.

Some fans regardless of what they think about him, should be man enough to acknowledge that he got that decision right.

He ain't perfect...but we are stuck with him. So we can either make AG and this place toxic...or get behind the Clubs decision to keep him. Support or hate...

47 minutes ago, Sir Leigh of Somerset said:

Hi Chinapig,

I'm not sure I actually understood the original post as it was written in a form of quasi English but I thought I had the gist of it and it seemed serious. Apols to O.P. and everyone else if it wasn't!

Hi to you too! :thumbsup:

Let's face it we've all misread what somebody has posted in our time, especially if it wasn't entirely clear. Irony especially can be hard to spot online.

8 hours ago, redfieldred said:

I know it's a long shot but I think  we can fully blame tomlins terrible performance on Marlin pack because this fits my football philosophy. Sideways and keep possession bad. run into 8 defenders and lose the ball good 

Tomlins poor performance was entirely due to Tomlin. He couldn't be bloody bothered.  

1 hour ago, spudski said:

You need to look deeper for the answers mate.

Matthews was going to be our number 1 RB. He's on decent wages...and been awful. The three you mention have all been signed for the near future. LJ has even said that. Elstrand was seen as the main CB over Magners. Engval was seen as in between U23's and first team...and Moore for the near future.

I'm not defending LJ here...but that is what we did. We spent millions for the near future. Instead of ££££££ millions.

I don't think LJ is the answer...I also don't see him as eaxtly the main problem. It's a culmination of things.

I sat there yesterday and hated it. It was the worst game of football I've witnessed in years. Devoid of anything. Both teams looked L2 standard. I completely understood the fans frustration. Having slept on it...it is what it is.

We either support the team and manager or all behave like spoilt brats and throw out our dummies.

I laughed out loud at the supporters who booed Tammy and Tomlin being taken off yesterday. Both were bloody awful...beyond pathetic. Both deserved to be hooked. How fans couldn't see that is beyond me. Just because they are our two best players on paper...well they weren't yesterday...they were our worst. LJ for all his problems, made the right call.

Some fans regardless of what they think about him, should be man enough to acknowledge that he got that decision right.

He ain't perfect...but we are stuck with him. So we can either make AG and this place toxic...or get behind the Clubs decision to keep him. Support or hate...

I'll look as deep for answers as I can.

I also believe that he'll relegate us and is an incompetent bluffer.

Support or hate? What simplistic patronising nonsense, I support City, not him.

I don't hate him either, I just think he is hopeless.

1 hour ago, aa_bcfc said:

Tomlins poor performance was entirely due to Tomlin. He couldn't be bloody bothered.  

I don't see that.  Desperate to be a hero.  I don't think he had anything in his tank following Tuesday.  I was surprised he came out at the start of the second half.  Maybe in the hope he'd get a second-wind?

It looked to me that Marlon had been told not to deliver long balls , so in the first half his over-cautious passing was the only way he thought he could play. 

But when you don't really have a midfield spine sometimes long balls are a decent option. And MP , as we know, can deliver them.

He had a much better game in the second half, even before the subs. 

As for him being behind Tomlin's inability to retain posession pffffffft!

2 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

I'll look as deep for answers as I can.

I also believe that he'll relegate us and is an incompetent bluffer.

Support or hate? What simplistic patronising nonsense, I support City, not him.

I don't hate him either, I just think he is hopeless.

Wasn't aimed at you mate...but I don't see booing and the constant threads slagging off LJ as positive in supporting the club.

SL has made his decision...he's staying. We can make constructive criticism about players and LJ, but some of the stuff on here and at the ground is hardly supporting the club.

Whether fans think he's hopeless or players hopeless...what good does booing do?

I think Little is way out of his depth...but yesterday I was constantly encouraging him. That's the difference... I don't want him in my team...but he is, so I'll support him and encourage him.

In fact I'd love him to prove me wrong and become better...as with everyone at the club.

27 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

Lack of confidence

Yes. As Spud says above it saps you of energy, it can be like running through treacle. It can also mess up your decision making or totally freeze it so you pass on responsibility to someone else - literally as well as metaphorically.

4 hours ago, nickolas said:

I thought Marlon was the only midfielder who tried to get on the ball. 

Fed up of watching our defenders look up to see 6 statues infront of them. Midfield is so lazy. Everyone scared to show for the ball. 

Whatever happened to pass and move eh?!

That was the main problem first half. Totally static once we had the ball in midfield.

Quite a few times Pack was turning circles looking for a pass with no movement around him. Made his 1st half performance look worse than it was.

30 minutes ago, Roger Red Hat said:

Does anybody know why there is no intensity to our performances? 

We could do with some 'Spinal Tap' type speakers ..in the too nice, relaxing & uninspiring dressing rooms... crank the volume up to 11 ....  and LJ should *blue tack an upside down copy of the current Championship table on the wall making us near the top (bet that's not been done before) .....

NB *blue tack -non greasy, non staining type of course. Don't wanna make sellotape marks or pinholes in the nice battleship grey paintwork.

(if desired effect still doesn't happen, -its then time to play hardball ....set up a dressing room massage table for 'water boarding' and threaten 'em with a session on that. )

Its the lack of discomfort that's the problem.. much too cosy. 

Archived