IGNORED

New LJ Poll

ploppy

New LJ Poll  

583 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

After much debate after a positive points return this week, I'm interested to see to what extent the mood has turned (if at all) in LJ's favour and, if so, how much time he should have if we suffer poor results in the next lot of away games? We all know that the next few games are going to be difficult - if we lose our next two does he get the benefit of the doubt or should we be seeking to get the “new manager bounce” ahead of Villa and Newcastle away?

Should he be sacked now due to a perceived poor performance against Rotherham or should he stay until at least the end of the season in accordance with SL's long term view?

Answers on a post card please...

The time to ask the question was a few weeks back, when it was asked and answered. Back then it was possible to imagine LJ being ditched and a substantial majority of those polled wanted him to go. 

I think it's an academic question right now. Unless something is already happening behind the scenes he's not going anywhere. 

No we defo don't need another poll, problem as I see it is if LJ does not start being part of a team himself then the next stage will be match day protests and none of us want to be in that position. Fear factor too real, unfortunately the owner will make us wait until we reach the point of no return.

I can't be the only one thinking why some of our most popular and exciting players not even making the bench - is the problem more about being 'in' with LJ?

Been reading here that some think we (the fans) could not wait to get rid of Cotts, that was not the case, Cotts failed because he believed he was the only one who knew how to organise the team and ignored the advice of those around him - seems that we have an almost identical situation now, with the difference that Cotts was better known than LJ and his man management style meant that our recruiting suffered.

Not a fan, but too late to sack him this season. I think once we're mathematically safe or mathematically down...we get rid.... what we don't need to do is wait til seasons end, everyone swans off on holiday and then start to appointment someone after pre season training has started. That alone would be a recipe for chaos

3 hours ago, 'keepuplino' said:

Absolutely clueless, in his radio interviews  it's as if we're mid table.. honestly the bloke really thinks we're making progress... SCARY!!!

I guess after some pretty good signings in Jan such as Hegelar and Djuric , and then Cotterill and Taylor along with a draw against a very good play off team and then a win ( a win's a win) v Rotherham then I guess Lee can't be blamed for thinking this is making progress . But then again that wouldn't fit the agenda so I guess he can and you've done so.

Again

and again

and again and again

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Another poll without an option that suits my view :P

What is your point of view out of curiousity? I tried to be balanced with the options but I appreciate that I can't have covered all bases.

To the people querying whether we need another poll, I completely appreciate that this one may be perceived as overkill but it does (for now at least) represent a swing of 80% wanting him sacked immediately after Forest to around 45% now which I consider to be fairly significant and worth highlighting.

My view is that I wanted him gone before Wednesday (on Tuesday), but it looks like he's here to stay.  Much as I've been disappointed by results (understatement), it's been some of the non-results that changed my view of him.

Without going into chapter and verse:

- Taylor Moore not starting v Reading

- Taylor Moore not on bench v Reading (later found out he was not injured and commentating on BBCRB)

- Taylor Moore being allowed to go in loan (less about the loan, more about not selecting him because of an impending loan - eff that, get the points and run the risk it might fall through because of injury

- the goalkeeper saga.  We had two reasonable (open to opinion) keepers, with a young Austrian waiting in the wings.  Ones gone totally, one to Aalborg on loan, and we bring in a 'risk' who hasn't played in 2 years.  Not judging Fabian, but boy, it's a huge gamble.

- Engvall - just strange all round

- the blaming of players to the media

- etc

It all smacks of inexperience.  I don't want us to go backwards to go forwards, we've done that consistently over the past 38 years I've been a fan.  We have a squad capable of so much better.  Something or someone us stifling that.  If it ain't LJ and it's a bad apple, then effin' bomb the bad apple out to rot, and get on with it. And no, I'm not suggesting Tomlin is the bad apple.  I've no idea, but the buck stops with the head coach.

The pillars have to stand unsupported from scenarios like this at some point, and I think that point has been reached.  The sacrifices of SOD and Cotts have enabled LJ to come in and take us forward.  He's in danger of crumbling them.  Whatever you think of the two previous incumbents, they'd have loved this squad to play with.

I still hope he succeeds, because I want anyone to succeed at our club, but if he takes us down........

If a good replacement was lined up (e.g. Rowett) then - though it pains me to say it - we'd have a better chance of staying up with a new coach. But like others on here, I think it's unlikely to happen - if LJ was going to go, it probably would've happened by now. 

It seems Lansdown wants someone who can work within the current structure. But does that mean you get a yes-man? Are successful football managers of that character? The best seem to crave control and all want the freedom to buy their own players. 

I don't think LJ having just signed a load of players is necessarily an impediment to him getting the sack. The message is that we are signing players as a club more than the manager just unilaterally going out and signing cheques. So a requirement for a new manager is that they would need to be able to embrace the current squad, and within this transfer structure. But is that a constraint on recruiting the best coach we can? The promise of money to spend is going to lure the better managers. I can't see the Board having an appetite for another big turnover of players. Based on this, it's not a surprise if Lansdown is looking to the lower leagues again for a potential LJ replacement - it seems to fit the aspiration for someone who's more happy to work with the players we have. 

I think Lansdown is wary of getting a big name coach in, spending his money, bringing in his own people then it not working out - big compensation pay outs, overpaid players - basically getting mugged off and repeating the mistakes of the past. If his attitude was different I'm pretty sure Nigel Pearson would've come in last year instead of LJ. Pearson was awful at Derby - I'm sympathetic to Lansdown's attitude, ultimately it's his billions. But - it does seem perverse to invest in everything other than a proven manager. 

I'd be very happy if Johnson gets us winning again as he clearly has a genuine affinity for Bristol City. But if it doesn't happen think Lansdown has got a pivotal call on the type of coach he looks to appoint next. 

7 hours ago, Davefevs said:

My view is that I wanted him gone before Wednesday (on Tuesday), but it looks like he's here to stay.  Much as I've been disappointed by results (understatement), it's been some of the non-results that changed my view of him.

Without going into chapter and verse:

- Taylor Moore not starting v Reading

- Taylor Moore not on bench v Reading (later found out he was not injured and commentating on BBCRB)

- Taylor Moore being allowed to go in loan (less about the loan, more about not selecting him because of an impending loan - eff that, get the points and run the risk it might fall through because of injury

- the goalkeeper saga.  We had two reasonable (open to opinion) keepers, with a young Austrian waiting in the wings.  Ones gone totally, one to Aalborg on loan, and we bring in a 'risk' who hasn't played in 2 years.  Not judging Fabian, but boy, it's a huge gamble.

- Engvall - just strange all round

- the blaming of players to the media

- etc

It all smacks of inexperience.  I don't want us to go backwards to go forwards, we've done that consistently over the past 38 years I've been a fan.  We have a squad capable of so much better.  Something or someone us stifling that.  If it ain't LJ and it's a bad apple, then effin' bomb the bad apple out to rot, and get on with it. And no, I'm not suggesting Tomlin is the bad apple.  I've no idea, but the buck stops with the head coach.

The pillars have to stand unsupported from scenarios like this at some point, and I think that point has been reached.  The sacrifices of SOD and Cotts have enabled LJ to come in and take us forward.  He's in danger of crumbling them.  Whatever you think of the two previous incumbents, they'd have loved this squad to play with.

I still hope he succeeds, because I want anyone to succeed at our club, but if he takes us down........

Just playing devil's advocate here... Mourinho has inexplicably sidelined players and criticised underperforming players just this season...

I think he is in for at the least the next four games, whether we like it or not. For that reason, I hope he gets some results and then stays on for the rest of the season.

The alternative is no points from February,  being deep in the mire with 13 games to play and the realisation that, if the board act at all, it will be six or seven weeks later than they should have done. We shall see.

1 hour ago, mozo said:

Just playing devil's advocate here... Mourinho has inexplicably sidelined players and criticised underperforming players just this season...

Yep, and he's a cock!!!! :P

I could be wrong here, but has LJ or JM called out any experienced players, or just younger players?

1 hour ago, mozo said:

Mourinho's United are 15 games unbeaten in the league, so he must be doing something right.

As for Lee Johnson, even if we manage to stay up, he should be given the boot. There's absolutely no evidence to suggest he would be better next season (in fact he would probably be worse because we wouldn't attract the same calibre of player).

19 minutes ago, Georgecreed123 said:

This has to be the most NEGATIVE part of the club so what we need to do is get rid of it and every person in it.  From top to bottom this forum is a joke full of self righteous idiots including the alleged moderators.

Are you on some sort of medication @Georgecreed123 ?

In this thread there is only one self righteous idiot, and it is easy to work out who !!!

What have the moderators got to do with this thread? They MODERATE this forum (and do a bloody good job) they are human and have opinions too

Perhaps you should run along and find somewhere else to play

Yet another poll, yet another clear view on peoples thoughts. This community overwhelmingly want him gone.

Yes I know what some of you are thinking.. That OTIB may not be a true representation of our fanbase as a whole... Fair enough. But then where are all of these silent LJ supporters? Certainly not on other forums, or on facebook... certainly not anyone I've spoken to on matchdays or any of my friends or relatives. So?

32 minutes ago, Alan Dicks' Barmy Army said:

Are you on some sort of medication @Georgecreed123 ?

In this thread there is only one self righteous idiot, and it is easy to work out who !!!

What have the moderators got to do with this thread? They MODERATE this forum (and do a bloody good job) they are human and have opinions too

Perhaps you should run along and find somewhere else to play

Or maybe you should toddle off and do one. Thanks for the abuse though guess that'll be you banned now 

My issue with our current set up is it seems like Mark Ashton is choosing who we go after etc and LJ is just say twiddling his thumbs waiting to see what he gets. For me this isn't a good manager /head coach as he's the man setting  the tactics and picking the team and if he's not bringing in the players he needs for those tactics then they will fail.

One thing Cotterill did that showed leadership was come in, set up the tactics he wanted to play and then said "right, these are the players we need at this level to play this way". once he had those players he went out and got them to bond, get to know each other and more importantly wanting to play together. This LJ era seems to be a constant chopping and changing to fit square pegs in round holes. LJ doesn't seem to know how best 11 nor his preferred tactics and the ones he does try he never adapts. 

At the moment I don't think we have a real direction and if LJ can't change that then the players are always going to struggle which is why I think he's best leaving and us finding someone who can work with Mark Ashton to bring in the players for the tactics that are set. 

Archived