IGNORED

New LJ Poll

ploppy

New LJ Poll  

583 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

5 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

With due respect James , I don't think anyone needs to 'spin negatives' 

The negatives can be seen in performances (Generally) and more importantly , the results , and the League Table

oh sorry , I'm 'spinning' 

What I should  have said is we aren't much worse off than Villa - So alls good

Great big f o o k i n cast iron negatives.

7 minutes ago, Robert the bruce said:

I doubt you would persue this to my face,so......

I would.

9 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

With due respect James , I don't think anyone needs to 'spin negatives' 

The negatives can be seen in performances (Generally) and more importantly , the results , and the League Table

oh sorry , I'm 'spinning' 

What I should  have said is we aren't much worse off than Villa - So alls good

Ah, sarcasm, the great mark of "respect".

Seeing as you won't show me any after lying about doing so, you can have the same.

I'll spell this out for you, as you seem to refuse to comprehend it otherwise.

There have been a fair few negatives this season, no one will deny that.

Saturday's performance was not good, that is true.

BUT

There have been a fair few good performances when we have lost games.

Saturday's result was, simply put, the best possible one.

If we had won 10-0 we would not have gained any more points than we did, our goal difference would be better, sure but that is all. We accumulated 100% of the points available on Saturday.

Despite this there has been a furore created about the quality of the performance. Yet far better performances have seen us leave games empty handed.

In a perfect world we would play well and win all the time, but the reality is we have players who are young and developing, and a manager who is young and inexperienced. He will make mistakes and has done so. But he has also made changes which have lead to us winning the game, Saturday being the latest example. (Don't start with the "it's luck/desperation" bullshit, EVERY substitution made by ANY manager who is trying to change the game is "desperation" to a small degree, but in actuality they are calculated gambles.)

Here's 4 facts.

1. Studies have shown it is proven that sticking with a manager provides a bigger 'bounce' than bringing in a new one. (Source.)

2. Lee Johnson has managed 2 previous clubs, at both of those clubs he went through a very bad spell and at both he turned it around. That is 100% of the time. (Granted not a big sample size, but there is no selecting specific cases to suit an argument, that is all there is to choose from.)

3. The next fact, sourced from here is that under Johnson we have been, on average a top 10 side. This is worked out with simple maths- 48 games played, 20 wins, 8 draws an 20 losses. That's 68 points total, 48 games played. 68 points in 48 games is 1.417 (rounded) points per game. Over a whole season this works out as 65.127 (rounded) points. Call it 65 because you cannot get a fraction of a point.

4. 65 points per season works out as a top 10 finish in 6 of the last 10 seasons, and top half every single time.

Now before you twist my words, I am NOT saying we will finish top 10 or top half this season. Top 10 is not impossible, but very improbable. Mid table is a very real possibility and exactly where I expected before the season, though I think many had their expectations yanked way beyond reason after our bright start.

As things stand we are merely 3 points away from the relegation zone. But at the same time just 6 points away from being mid table with us having a game in hand over 4 of those teams within 6 points of us.

46 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

I would.

Seeing as you won't show me any after lying about doing so, you can have the same.

BUT

If we had won 10-0 we would not have gained any more points than we did, our goal difference would be better, sure but that is all. We accumulated 100% of the points available on Saturday.

Despite this there has been a furore created about the quality of the performance. Yet far better performances have seen us leave games empty handed.

In a perfect world we would play well and win all the time, but the reality is we have players who are young and developing, and a manager who is young and inexperienced. He will make mistakes and has done so. But he has also made changes which have lead to us winning the game, Saturday being the latest example. (Don't start with the "it's luck/desperation" bullshit, EVERY substitution made by ANY manager who is trying to change the game is "desperation" to a small degree, but in actuality they are calculated gambles.)

Here's 4 facts.

1. Studies have shown it is proven that sticking with a manager provides a bigger 'bounce' than bringing in a new one. (Source.)

2. Lee Johnson has managed 2 previous clubs, at both of those clubs he went through a very bad spell and at both he turned it around. That is 100% of the time. (Granted not a big sample size, but there is no selecting specific cases to suit an argument, that is all there is to choose from.)

3. The next fact, sourced from here is that under Johnson we have been, on average a top 10 side. This is worked out with simple maths- 48 games played, 20 wins, 8 draws an 20 losses. That's 68 points total, 48 games played. 68 points in 48 games is 1.417 (rounded) points per game. Over a whole season this works out as 65.127 (rounded) points. Call it 65 because you cannot get a fraction of a point.

4. 65 points per season works out as a top 10 finish in 6 of the last 10 seasons, and top half every single time.

Now before you twist my words, I am NOT saying we will finish top 10 or top half this season. Top 10 is not impossible, but very improbable. Mid table is a very real possibility and exactly where I expected before the season, though I think many had their expectations yanked way beyond reason after our bright start.

As things stand we are merely 3 points away from the relegation zone. But at the same time just 6 points away from being mid table with us having a game in hand over 4 of those teams within 6 points of us.

All very passionate James and tbf some good arguments :thumbsup: as part of a debate

At least you put some meat to your case

You have to,accept though that even the use of selected facts is a form of spin 

Likewise those who don't believe will quote the record run of defeats et etc in reverse , and I'd suggest LJs record of slumps at previous clubs as a major concern in many respects, so it's all how you view it

Think you are taking the 'due respect ' thing' a tad serious mate ;)

If you think I meant you disrespect you're wrong and none was intended

51 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

I would.

BUT

Here's 4 facts.

Nice argument to be fair. My point is that yes we are close to 13th position i think it is, but the table is like that every year in the Championship. 

But we didn't pick up points from the teams in the mid table bracket. That's why we dropped so far down lately. We played 8 sides (I think) all mid table and they all beat us. 

This is why many will spin negatives. 

Then it's all a matter of personal out look.

Watching ITV news tonight, I found it out of order that one man let his daughter have a picture with Lee, then as LJ was walking away said the following, "Is this your last day today then is it?". 

Childish remark in my opinion. I'm not in the LJ in camp, but I would never make a remark like that to him in person. I'm sure he's very stressed at the minute, and may even have touches of anxiety. As much as I love football and City, it is just a game. Peoples own welfare always come first.

Perhaps I'm being too sensitive!

11 minutes ago, Red_Wizard said:

Watching ITV news tonight, I found it out of order that one man let his daughter have a picture with Lee, then as LJ was walking away said the following, "Is this your last day today then is it?". 

Childish remark in my opinion. I'm not in the LJ in camp, but I would never make a remark like that to him in person. I'm sure he's very stressed at the minute, and may even have touches of anxiety. As much as I love football and City, it is just a game. Peoples own welfare always come first.

Perhaps I'm being too sensitive!

That was classy of him! 

4 hours ago, JamesBCFC said:

54.22% (at time of posting) want to give him more time (two or more games), so no, the community do not "overwhelmingly want him gone", the majority are saying to give a little more time (at least of those on OTIB).

I think you've missed the point of the word "silent" there.

I dont think I've missed any point, the poll appears to have swung somewhat since my original post. So fair enough.

I see 25% are saying they would back him all the way to league 1. Id be interested to hear the thoughts of those people and why they believe that would be beneficial. Edit: just seen that James has and very articulately so. I cant agree with him but sure hope he is right!

1 hour ago, Kim_il_sung said:

I dont think I've missed any point, the poll appears to have swung somewhat since my original post. So fair enough.

I see 25% are saying they would back him all the way to league 1. Id be interested to hear the thoughts of those people and why they believe that would be beneficial. Edit: just seen that James has and very articulately so. I cant agree with him but sure hope he is right!

still less than 500 fans voted so whichever way it goes doesn't mean much out of 18/19000 fans

I think we can say that the poll gives some indication of the general mood, though.

I don't think it reflects a sudden surge of confidence in LJ, just an acknowledgement that people pretty much know Lansdown isn't going to sack him just yet.

After two months of abject misery, I guess there's a tiny feel good factor out of 4 points from the last two games, and the Taylor transfer saga.

There's still a pretty large majority that thinks LJ will have to go by March, unless he pulls off some pretty impressive results.

36 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

I think we can say that the poll gives some indication of the general mood, though.

I don't think it reflects a sudden surge of confidence in LJ, just an acknowledgement that people pretty much know Lansdown isn't going to sack him just yet.

After two months of abject misery, I guess there's a tiny feel good factor out of 4 points from the last two games, and the Taylor transfer saga.

There's still a pretty large majority that thinks LJ will have to go by March, unless he pulls off some pretty impressive results.

The shift in sentiment is largely down to timing. A change in the next 5 games may be deemed to be a greater risk than 3 games ago. 

Its not a backing of LJ or his incoherent tactics. More resignation mixed with minimal hope and resignation. It certainly is for me. Although I think getting rid still has a window of opportunity for the next month. 

5 hours ago, JamesBCFC said:

I would.

BUT

Here's 4 facts.

OK then James...do that.

Right, over the few weeks I've posted a lot of stuff, and probably been a bit less mellow than normal. Ok, at times I've been argumentative!

I've said my bit, given my explanations, thoughts, guesswork, etc.

I'm moving on.

Not from the forum (sorry all).

I'm gonna try to go back to commenting / posting on what happens on the pitch in the main.  There are too many LJ threads that I'm sure I've repeated myself over and over....and I've got a bit bored....of myself!

I got my sense of perspective back at the City Quiz tonight.

51 minutes ago, CotswoldRed said:

The shift in sentiment is largely down to timing. A change in the next 5 games may be deemed to be a greater risk than 3 games ago. 

Its not a backing of LJ or his incoherent tactics. More resignation mixed with minimal hope and resignation. It certainly is for me. Although I think getting rid still has a window of opportunity for the next month. 

Absolutely. That was what I was trying to indicate.

On 2/6/2017 at 14:20, Red-Robbo said:

I doubt Lansdown has any say in who the club's targets are, other than setting an overall budget. LJ will say what he wants and suggest targets, the scouts and agents will also advances names, Mark Ashton negotiates for the ones we are interested in.

If we've paid over the odds for unproven youngsters then the football staff have to be blamed.

The thing is, if you're only allowed to buy youngsters then it's likely that many of them won't reach their potential, because they lack the direction that experience brings. If you're not allowed to bring in those experienced players then it's the board's problem, not the football staff.

Archived