IGNORED

Fa Cup

Shaun1

1 hour ago, 22A said:

Just a thought. The FA Vase is for Amateur teams and the FA Trophy for professional and strong amateur teams outside the League. Do any of the National League clubs ever field a weakened team if only playing Southern League oppos in the Trophy?

1 hour ago, glynriley said:

@Miah Dennehy or @In the Net could probably answer that. Bath City wasn't it...?!!

Bath City Play in the National League South these days - although I won't claim the higher ground about being more up to date with non-league football than yourselves. :whistle:

Yes, it was Bath City, and I don't remember us fielding a particularly weakened team.

That's enough humiliation for one day, thank you! :nono::ranting:

9 minutes ago, In the Net said:

Bath City Play in the National League South these days - although I won't claim the higher ground about being more up to date with non-league football than yourselves. :whistle:

Yes, it was Bath City, and I don't remember us fielding a particularly weakened team.

That's enough humiliation for one day, thank you! :nono::ranting:

But did Bath field a weakened team as they were playing such minnows?

3 hours ago, Honiton Tony said:

The FA cup has had it's day and they should just scrap it and stop this long drawn out death

I'd rather the FA listen to what fans want first. 

Currently, all football decisions are made by just a few suits. Are we to give up? 

I'm sure the FA Cup, with its tradition, could exploit the market in a far better way, creating a far bigger pot of cash, if that's the only answer. 

13 hours ago, downendcity said:

I know some of this will be a result of me getting older, but thinking back I could remember every cup final, the winners and the scores and watched religiously.

I really struggle to remember the winners, let along the finalists over the last 15 years or so, but can still remember Spurs v Leicester final in the 60s, Howard Kendall becoming the youngest player in a final for Preston, also back in the 60s. Mike Jones's headed winner for Leeds and Chelsea's replay win v Leeds, Sunderland's epic win , also against all conquering Leeds and could go on.

I am sure that the advent of the premier league, and it's wall to wall coverage, as played a part in diluting the impact of the FA Cup but of course the fact that top clubs now treat it as of secondary importance has a major impact as well. Back in the day, every final had it's story, whereas it seems to me that today's cup final stories have to be manufactured. 

Last night's game is a case in point. The winner meets Millwall , which must mean a great chance of getting though to the sharp end of the competition yet both teams put out almost reserve teams. Derby I could understand , as they meed to be at their best to meet mighty Bristol City at the week-end!

For my generation the FA Cup was a real highlight, primarily because the final was the only chance to see live football on the telly, but back then winning the Cup really meant something for fans  and clubs alike. Perhaps if I was 10 again I would  feel the same excitement and I hope that today's 10 year olds still  do. 

I remember being so excited by the FA cup as a kid. My young lad is excited by it now, more so than the league, but he hasn't twigged that teams play weakened sides yet. I want him to enjoy the magic of the cup and dread the day as he gets older when he comments 'it's only the FA Cup'. The greedy b******* who devauled the competition should hang their heads in shame.

14 hours ago, CotswoldRed said:

I'd rather the FA listen to what fans want first. 

Currently, all football decisions are made by just a few suits. Are we to give up? 

I'm sure the FA Cup, with its tradition, could exploit the market in a far better way, creating a far bigger pot of cash, if that's the only answer. 

In another thread you appear to be against the Government forcing the FA to reform and become more representative.

Why would an organisation that has negligible supporter representation do what fans want?

Decisions in the FA are not made by just a few suits, but decisions to create change can be blocked by suits from the EPL and their vested interest . An EPL that is over represented v Supporters and everybody else.

The FA needs to be reformed .

Archived