IGNORED

Beat That For A Full Debut!

handsofclay

7 minutes ago, handsofclay said:

Of course they count and I enjoyed reading the accounts of them and there is nothing wrong with people posting about them but 1977 is forty years ago. Prior to that the example of Galley that you provided was less than a decade earlier, so we have gone a very long time since seeing such an impressive debut from a striker... albeit it would've been more impressive still had the assists been goals and he had stuck that sitter away!

Yep Matty seems well up for the challenge of proving himself a decent championship player, he also must (even subconsciously) wish to ram the vitriol back down the gas throats as they gave him unbelievable grief for having the temerity to wish to better himself and his career!

5 minutes ago, handsofclay said:

If it was a friendly v the Gas then yes, coz they are never friendlies. Against anyone else, sorry but no it doesn't count.

Was Wolves maybe? The third was about 30 yards out 

1 hour ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Huddersfield's local paper think his debut hatrick was against them...

http://www.examiner.co.uk/sport/football/news/nightmare-ray-galley-fires-hat-5045358

..but then they also say in the article that Bert Tann was our manager!!

Interestlngly though, Galley also scored a hatrick on his debut for Rotherham...top player

"King of the West Country"

Been thinking of false dawns

Not City but Glos cricket: Saw David Shepherd score a century in his first innings since joining from Devon.  First debut century since Wally Hammond.  Heralded as the second Hammond. Really lovely lovely bloke but never a second Hammond.

The century was what used to be called 'agricultural'!

2 minutes ago, P'head Red said:

Yep, lets not be happy he had a good debut (poor miss aside), and wait and see if he turns out crap. 

You must be far too young not to have seen many false dawns with players at City.  Hope he makes it, pleased he scored, but let's wait and see, say us old timers, who have been disappointed so many times before.

1 minute ago, Bristol Rob said:

Did Lee Matthews make his debut at home to Millwall on a Friday night?

Sure he got a last minute penalty in a highly charged game.

Yes.

We won 2-1 thanks to that last minute pen. Millwall we're tearing up seats in the first few minutes. Brilliant atmosphere.

6 minutes ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

Yes.

We won 2-1 thanks to that last minute pen. Millwall we're tearing up seats in the first few minutes. Brilliant atmosphere.

I remember taking a bloke I worked with at the time along as he'd never been to a live game before.

He never came back. He was amazed at how dangerously charged the atmosphere was. He was quite scared.

27 minutes ago, handsofclay said:

I also recall David Seal scoring a cracker on debut in a one all v Blackpool in 1995 from about 30 yards out so seeing Taylor's was a tap in maybe the extra 29 yards equates to two assists.

That was the game Blackpool scored after 13 seconds? Not sure that was his debut though?

31 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

As with managers we should always hold our horses in coming to instant judgments on new players.

Yet you call yourself after a player who is most remembered for being a stand in goalkeeper and keeping Watford at bay for about 80 mins in an important one nil win in the promotion winning season of 1954-55. He only played in that position for us once but you seem to have come to an instant judgement to elevate him to hero status. Good full back he apparently was for us mind.

14 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

I remember taking a bloke I worked with at the time along as he'd never been to a live game before.

He never came back. He was amazed at how dangerously charged the atmosphere was. He was quite scared.

I can only assume Millwall fans had spent the whole afternoon getting tanked up as (if I remember correctly) they kicked off about the same time the actual game kicked off. 

Whilst I enjoy highly charged atmospheres like that I can understand how a neutral visitor might be put off. 

That late winner though....:winner_third_h4h:

39 minutes ago, handsofclay said:

Yet you call yourself after a player who is most remembered for being a stand in goalkeeper and keeping Watford at bay for about 80 mins in an important one nil win in the promotion winning season of 1954-55. He only played in that position for us once but you seem to have come to an instant judgement to elevate him to hero status. Good full back he apparently was for us mind.

Let me explain.  I have always been hopeless at sport when picked at right back for school under 11s in The Fifties I was advised to watch Ivor, coming to the end of his career.  He was markedly slowing up but his positional sense was as good as I have seen at City. 

Why you should have taken it upon yourself to put in the public arena why I chose Ivor as a username without knowing anything about me, and little about Ivor I find really odd, but, hell, this is otib.  Half of us are barking and the other half hatters.

Archived