IGNORED

Engvall on loan to Sweden

bristolcitysweden

5 minutes ago, petehinton said:

Johnson said we, and 'numerous other clubs' monitored him for a while. 

And that premiership clubs watching us trained asked who 'the blonde striker was'. 

Must all be bullshit as A) seems no decent club has come in for him on loan and B) if he's catching the eye of Prem coaches he must be decent enough to warrant more than 20 mins of league football since August. 

It's not bullshit

It's the Bristol City effect in full flow

The strange thing for me is that Gustav looks very capable.

I could accept that playing one up top ore-Xmas he was always going to be behind Tammy.  He was regularly on the bench, but in the games where we were chasing something, LJ trusted Wilbs.  That too is okay.

But then we go and sign Djuric and Taylor...which again I have no issue with.

Both Wilbs and Engvall are now nowhere to be seen.

I just want some honesty.  If Gustav only made the 18 earlier this season because we were short of numbers (hence Djuric and Taylor signings) and LJ really wanted him ready for next season, when Tammy has gone, then fine.  But we get spun too many contradictory stories.  I actually wish LJ told us less.  If so, why pick him against Fleetwood?

One thing that I do not understand is the constant hounding of the club regarding Engvall. Although it was an expensive gamble, I would rather see City try and unearth some foreign gems as we did with Kodjia and seemingly have done with Hegeler. By definition a gamble may not be successful or pay off, as a result of one failure should we constantly be criticising the club for this transfer.

The purchase of Engvall occurred at time where we had an extensive budget as a result of our previous successes in the transfer market. This allowed the club the opportunity to sign the player whilst it remained relatively low risk as the outlay appeared to be low compared to income from transfer fees. In order to develop as a club I would like to see us continuing to unearth some cheap players overseas in the hope that they turn out be as successful and profitable as Kodjia. If we are to continue with this approach, people are going to have to accept that not every player signed is going to be succesful. 

7 minutes ago, Coppello said:

One thing that I do not understand is the constant hounding of the club regarding Engvall. Although it was an expensive gamble, I would rather see City try and unearth some foreign gems as we did with Kodjia and seemingly have done with Hegeler. By definition a gamble may not be successful or pay off, as a result of one failure should we constantly be criticising the club for this transfer.

The purchase of Engvall occurred at time where we had an extensive budget as a result of our previous successes in the transfer market. This allowed the club the opportunity to sign the player whilst it remained relatively low risk as the outlay appeared to be low compared to income from transfer fees. In order to develop as a club I would like to see us continuing to unearth some cheap players overseas in the hope that they turn out be as successful and profitable as Kodjia. If we are to continue with this approach, people are going to have to accept that not every player signed is going to be succesful. 

Agree with your sentiments.

I just hope at some point we give Engvall a chance to show us what he can do.

Never even given a chance, how we can expect any player to settle given the circumstances he finds himself in?

Just shocking management. All well and good saying he's 'one for the future' and a 'Gamble'. I'd quite like to see him and Taylor up front. Especially if Tammy is out for a few weeks.

3 hours ago, bristolcitysweden said:

The rumour up here is that we will be paying all of his sallary during the loan period http://www.fotbolldirekt.se/2017/02/16/just-nu-pa-fd-djurgardens-klipp-vid-affar-slipper-anfallsstjarnans-lon/

That's not unusual. We need him playing, we can afford it, if it helps things along then so be it

Have you heard how long the loan is for, Tommy? Presumably we won't see him play for City again this season? That's the only thing that worries me, an injury crisis and we're screwed unless we have a call back clause

8 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

With the exception of Bolasie, I can't think of that many players who have massively improved further than our club.

That's not a positive though is it? So when we sign players they don't improve? I wish we signed plays then sell them for millions. Kodja is another one.

17 minutes ago, Woodsy said:

That's not unusual. We need him playing, we can afford it, if it helps things along then so be it

Have you heard how long the loan is for, Tommy? Presumably we won't see him play for City again this season? That's the only thing that worries me, an injury crisis and we're screwed unless we have a call back clause

The loan is the swedish season. April end of october is our season. We will see about Tammy, if he cant play in along time no loan until end of the season I think.

1 hour ago, JasonM88 said:

He's 20 for **** sake. Get a ******* grip 

He's 20, but for the majority of the season he's been the only backup for Tammy. (I'm not including Wilbraham as he's a different type of player). Why pay £2m for a player who hadn't got a hope of getting into the team this season? If Tammy had been injured in the autum we would have been up a creak without a paddle. We sold Agard, the only similar player, who wasn't Championship standard, but was better than nothing. It's all very well LJ and co. saying we're signing players for the future, but the future looks like it's going to be league one. 

47 minutes ago, JasonM88 said:

Developed in one of the best academies in the world, and in his home country, with family around him and in a language he fully understands. The two aren't comparable at all.

According to Garland-sweden he is going on loan from April to October. Just how is that going to integrate him into english football and the english language? If he's good enough he plays, if not ship him out, don't make excuses.

1 hour ago, Garland-sweden said:

The loan is the swedish season. April end of october is our season. We will see about Tammy, if he cant play in along time no loan until end of the season I think.

Like Mikael says, if the loan deal happens it will be til the end of October meaning Engvall is not part of our future plans

6 minutes ago, bristolcitysweden said:

Like Mikael says, if the loan deal happens it will be til the end of October meaning Engvall is not part of our future plans

I'd say it's more likely that the loan would finish before the end of your season, in time for ours. Remember, city hold ALL the cards here.

17 minutes ago, JasonM88 said:

I'd say it's more likely that the loan would finish before the end of your season, in time for ours. Remember, city hold ALL the cards here.

If he was in our future plans we would have loaned him out til the end of June giving him games for the U21 European Championships and then having him back in Bristol for pre season training 

8 hours ago, WECANDO said:

This season is a difficult one. But I feel if we can just survive it next season we will kick on and do well. But yes, we should use one of two pairs upfront. Abraham and Taylor or Djuric and Engvall or switch the two little guys with the other big uns. To me, it's a season of complete disappointment, but no club or manager etc has a right to success. Sometimes even hard work doesn't succeed. Look at how Steve Bruce is now struggling at Villa. I would have chosen him to manage City had he been free at the time. So you never know how things will turn out. On Wednesday we all have to forget our own agendas and get the lads over the line against Fulham. As soon as the players appear cheer like hell and that goes for when Johnson appears. If we get a hammering, which I don't believe we will, then show your feelings. Wednesdays result is a must win.

How can you possibly say that if we survive next year we will be fine? Same Head Coach who failed in the same way two seasons running; more likely to make it a third year in a row. He doesn't appear to learn from his mistakes.

Same Board and owner who have conspicuously failed over most of their seasons in charge

If we aren't relegated this then I am not hopeful that for a third season we can avoid the trap door.  OK I know we will buy loan players but this year wasn't brilliant was it: Magnusson dropped, Engvall loaned, Matthews unfit, O'Neill past it, and then there is Tomlin!  No Tammy, and can our luck hold in finding a third Kodjia or Tammy, statistics would be against it unless we spend big, and we know what happened when Cotts realised this.

Archived